• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U version of Batman: Arkham Origins was developed by Human Head Studios

I just found this when I cropped the (tiny) logo from the back cover on GameFly:

OH MY, the Wii U version was done by Human Head Studios! O_O

Humanheadlogo.png

From the back cover:

iG6cc0NxaJ3z1.png

Entire cover:

5005710.jpg

What's really interesting (aside from it being by Human Head in the first place) is that this brings us back to earlier this year when it was uncovered that Human Head (or the related Nine Realms) was working with Nintendo on something:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=657985

Now I doubt THIS was it, but I do wonder if this is another piece of the puzzle.

Edit: Wii U version summary courtesy of TDLink:

Based on the OT the following things could be surmised about this version:

• Best framerate on consoles. They all have some frame drops but Wii U seems to have the least. Overall it seems to be Wii U > 360 >>>>>>>>>>>PS3 in this regard.
  • No screentearing on Wii U.
  • Better lighting on Wii U compared to PS3/360.
  • All versions have glitches, including game breaking bugs but Wii U has less glitches than 360, PS3, or even PC with apparently no game breakers present. Including being able to actually do the Burnley tower correctly.
  • Plus Off TV Play.
  • Plus Map on the GamePad.
  • Plus Achievements Posting on Miiverse.
  • Minus Multiplayer.
  • $10 less.

Overall, of the 4 versions, it seems like Wii U may be the best version while PS3 is definitely the worst for now.

brainpann

I just found this when I cropped the (tiny) logo from the back cover on GameFly:

What's really interesting (aside from it being by Human Head in the first place) is that this brings us back to earlier this year when it was uncovered that Human Head (or the related Nine Realms) was working with Nintendo on something:

Now I doubt THIS was it, but I do wonder if this is another piece of the puzzle.

Metroid? :)

Edit

I think Retro is done with Metroid and giving it to another western developer seems like a smarter choice.

gfdoom

I guess this explains the lack of gamepad functionality compared to what was in AC. That sucks, was looking forward to that in this version. This also explains why there was literally no talk of the WiiU version and what it had to offer as far as gamepad exttras.

Slayven

SO how does this work? Does the main studio send their work to the outsourced studio and the outsourced studio figures out how to make it work on the platform?

brainpann

I guess this explains the lack of gamepad functionality compared to what was in AC. That sucks, was looking forward to that in this version. This also explains why there was literally no talk of the WiiU version and what it had to offer as far as gamepad exttras.

Can you clarify?

Shaanyboi

Banned

I really hope this wasn't the only WiiU project they were working on...

Would love to see Nintendo collaborate with more western studios like them.

Tagg9

Bummer. So it's the same game?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
All of the touch screen stuff from AC (like the hacking) is gone from AO.
The GamePad still displays the map and you use it for the crime scene investigation stuff, nut that's it.

Really? Damn, then I did a good thing by choosing Deus Ex over this,

I just started Origins on Wii U. So far the gamepad has been used as an ineractive map, a more interactive way to solve puzzles, and a way to listen to Alfred (through the speakers). Oh, and off-screen play of course. I played AC on the PS3, not the Wii U, so I didn't see too much of what they did with it. What is Origin's missing?

gfdoom

Can you clarify?

In the official AO thread, some that have the WiiU version stated that the gamepad is only used for the map and Alferd's communication to you. There's no weapon select, leveling up, decryption sequence, etc that was present in AC:Armored edition.

Murrah

Banned
Sorta funny since AC Armored Edition was cited as WB Montreal's way to cut their teeth on the series before doing Origins and then they can't even do the Wii U version of this

terrisus

I think Prey is generally regarded as a good game. I havent played it myself though.

Well, I can't stand FPSs, so, if their point of being known is for making an FPS, that's not a good thing for me.
Not that the Batman games interest me anyway, but, would be nice to get some more interesting games on the WiiU at some point.

gfdoom

I just started Origins on Wii U. So far the gamepad has been used as an ineractive map, a more interactive way to solve puzzles, and a way to listen to Alfred (through the speakers). Oh, and off-screen play of course. I played AC on the PS3, not the Wii U, so I didn't see too much of what they did with it. What is Origin's missing?

The decryption sequences were touch screen minigames, you were able to quick select your weapons, level up your character/ gear, interactive crime scene, interactive map, view story notes and backstory, use some of your weapons thru the gamepad.

Is there any confirmation that they were the primary developers? Or did they just help?

I think it's a fair assumption that they're the main team behind the Wii U version and that Montreal just assisted, it's bizarre when Montreal did the Wii U version of Arkham City, you think they would've used that experience to make the Wii U version.

It could be the other way around that that Human Head assisted? But why would they need to assist the company who's actual main prior game was AC Wii U, IIRC, all they did prior was some browser Scooby and Looney Tunes stuff?

Good to see they got some more work after Bethesda tried to run them into the ground. I hope they have a game in the works though, as I'd like to see them get back on their feet.

The Wii U version of AC added a lot with the gamepad and touch screen. Others have mentioned what they were already, but I wanted to add that I thought some of them were big improvements. Specially the sequencer part, it was/is way more interesting of a gameplay element than spinning the analog sticks. It was also really nice to just do everything menu related on the gamepad, it seemed way faster, specially selecting gadgets.

It's a disappointment to see that stuff gone from AO, it feels like a step backwards. Though I have to say performance wise AO is a big step up from AC. None of the framerate issues, or other hiccups from AC on Wii U are here at all.

It would have been nice though to get the performance fix, and the touchscreen/gamepad additions.

At least we still have it for the crime scene investigating, I really dig that part.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Odd, since I heard TimeGate was doing the WiiU SKU. Maybe they landed this after TimeGate went under?

Odd, since I heard TimeGate was doing the WiiU SKU. Maybe they landed this after TimeGate went under?

That would've been bad after Aliens, or was that Gearbox's fault? Also source for them having worked on the Wii U version? Articles show they were involved with the game period, but I don't see anything about just them being on the Wii U version.

jmizzal

In the official AO thread, some that have the WiiU version stated that the gamepad is only used for the map and Alferd's communication to you. There's no weapon select, leveling up, decryption sequence, etc that was present in AC:Armored edition.

No touch screen weapon select? Yup glad i'm not getting this til its 19.99 or under

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
That would've been bad after Aliens, or was that Gearbox's fault? Also source for them having worked on the Wii U version? Articles show they were involved with the game period, but I don't see anything about just them being on the Wii U version.

It was mostly Gearbox fault. Gearbox outsourced the level design to TimeGate Studios (so they just did 3D levels based on Gearbox drawings/what they wanted) and UI stuff
http://www.gamerzines.com/xbox/news-xbox/aliens-colonial-timegate.html

It was mostly Gearbox fault. Gearbox outsourced the level design to TimeGate Studios (so they just did 3D levels based on Gearbox drawings/what they wanted) and UI stuff
http://www.gamerzines.com/xbox/news-xbox/aliens-colonial-timegate.html

My only worry is that if they were the team behind the Wii U version, then when Human Head took over they didn't have enough time. But the game seemed to have turned out right.

Also here's a Wii U and 360 comparison vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtgYiUUmc3I

@0:41 you see Batman's cape clip with his shoulder on Wii U, is that random (since either the cape isn't scripted or is looked like gameplay anyway) and does that happen in the other versions? I would imagine so, it just stood out in the comparison.

Also the shadows look lower-res but softer on Wii U.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The Wii U version apparently performs better than the PS3 and 360 versions of the game. Based on what I've seen, none of them run as flawlessly as AC did on 360. Rocksteady's commitment to polish seems the primary factor there.

I wonder how they got the job. Weird for WB to hire an outside port house when you have a team internally that just built the previous game on the same engine for launch last holiday.

I hope the rumors of them working more closely with Nintendo are true. God knows how they need to fill their release schedule.

Top Bottom