• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3's budget was $32 million (120M Zloty) plus $35 million in marketing

Shauni

That budget seems kind of low to what most people speculate on AAA gaming nowadays. Well, I guess one would consider this a AAA developed title anyway?

MMaRsu

Banned
Just shows that when you have people who work in good synergy with eachother and know what they are doing you can keep costs down and still develop an amazing ( I hate this shit ) "triple A title".

Good on them :). Tw3 is amazing

komplanen

That's it? Wow, just wow I was expecting so much more....truly shows just how good they are.

They did the same (but lower numbers) with Witcher 2. Really low production costs but extremely high polish and quality.

Now imagine these people were given the big boy budgets that EA and Ubisoft piss down the drain every year...

KKRT00

That's it? Wow, just wow I was expecting so much more....truly shows just how good they are.

Actually this is astronomically high number. Its equivalent to almost $120m for development alone in USA, which is just crazy for a studio of a size of CDPR

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They did the same (but lower numbers) with Witcher 2. Really low production costs but extremely high polish and quality.

Now imagine these people were given the big boy budgets that EA and Ubisoft piss down the drain every year...

Yeah all they need to do is pay their staff like they live in Poland.

ViciousDS

Banned
Can you explain what makes them good, from seeing the budget?

Um....look at the insane triple A budgets now a days that don't even come close to content as the witcher 3. That's truly an impressive feat and the money was actually put to real and true use, instead of wasted.

Edit: ah, are Poland's wages really that low?

I think a big part of this is that they don't have to pay their staff as much as an American or Western European studio would due to Poland having a much lower cost of living than the states (Rent is on average 82.94% cheaper in Warsaw than it is in NYC) and also the fact that there's probably a less competitive gaming industry in Poland.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Care to elaborate? Not sure what the significance of that is.

EDIT: Just in regards to currency differences?

The average household income in Poland is $20,000.

The average household income in the US is $50,000.

You can pay someone doing the same labor in Poland vastly less than you have to if you're making your game in the US.

This lowers development cost significantly.

Lingitiz

I didn't notice any marketing at all for The Witcher 3.

They were on Conan Clueless Gamer, had major TV spots notably during the NBA playoffs, attended multiple E3 press conferences for the last few years. Witcher 2 never got this kind of media coverage.

SgtCobra

For the people not in the know: the wages in Poland are pretty low in comparison with western European countries. They're so low that there are people who go abroad to work for ridiculously low wages and even that is higher than what they'll get in Poland.

DOWN

Banned

WLdHtzUl.jpg

Shauni

The average household income in Poland is $20,000.

The average household income in the US is $50,000.

You can pay someone doing the same labor in Poland vastly less than you have to if you're making your game in the US.

This lowers development cost significantly.

I see. Interesting.

Fruitster

Pretty modest sums really when it comes to the larger studios, it makes what the dev team on the Witcher 3 did all the more impressive.

Impressive with the amount of voice acting and such.

4 million sales @ 60 = 240 million. So they will make a good bit of bank off this

Verger

Banned
It is kind of depressing reality that, it cost more to Market the game than it did to actually create it.

Top Bottom