• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

Mendrox

I feel like a lot of that is due to Toei's mishandling of the anime to put it lightly. We're entering the protracted end game of the series. I imagine from the end of Kaidou onwards series interest should start ramping up much like in the run up arcs to the WB war as we start the run up to the finale.

The "bad" ratings for both shows have nothing to do with them getting bad themselves, but rather that Kamen+Sentai run on the same timeslot AND the most important part it was sports festival season in many places in Japan. It rained on Saturday and many events where pushed to Sunday so kids missed out their Kamen/Sentai/OnePiece/Dragon Ball

DBS: 3.5
OP: 4.7

People will watch OP just because "it's OP" and "more OP is never bad". And there's also the fact that there's a more personal hook in One Piece's advantage.

Two long-standing main characters having an emotional clash of wills
VS
Goku getting (yet another) transformation in a fight with (yet another) new strong enemy in (yet another) tournament arc.
You really don't need to shit on Dragon Ball for no reason, One Piece is amazing without needing to put other series down. And every long show, manga, comic has its staples that the writer follows a lot of the time, including One Piece. I also think that just because something is more diverse =/= better which a lot of times it's insinuated or flat out stated. It's always about the execution at the end.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The "bad" ratings for both shows have nothing to do with them getting bad themselves, but rather that Kamen+Sentai run on the same timeslot AND the most important part it was sports festival season in many places in Japan. It rained on Saturday and many events where pushed to Sunday so kids missed out their Kamen/Sentai/OnePiece/Dragon Ball
Talking about general average anime ratings for the pst year in the case of one piece rather than that specific instances.

In light of no new chapter this week, what is this threads taste in anime in general? Only shonens, or even only One Piece? I personally have pretty eclectic taste. Top 5 (excluding One Piece):
Wondering sun
Kaiji
Nichijou
Mobile suit Gundam 0079
Little witch academia

Edit: Also Neo Yokio

I generally enjoy more seinen works.
Top tv shows

-legend of the Galactic Heroes
-Cowboy Bebop
-steins gate
-monster
-1990s berserk/Trigun

Movies
-all Satoshi Kon
-Jin Rou
-Gits
-Akira

I'm pretty casual old school anime fan

Won't be long anymore and DBS will overtake One Pieces ratings. DBS is a worldwide killer right now (Bandai and Toei cream themselves with merchandise money and it's only the begining) unlike One Piece. They even created the Dragon Room to discuss further steps for Dragon Ball.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) the manga is monthly and really shitty. I guess manga sales are not that good.

Seems unlikely. If it hasn't overtaken One Piece in the anime rankings by now, then it never will.
Super has a lot of ground to cover since there hasn't been a new Dragon Ball anime since 1998.

Does it really make sense to compare the content/draw of the specials, when they are both the lowest ratings in each respective series? Unless you mean that factors like that are why OP is inherently a more popular series, then I'd get it.

I think that is pretty average separation in ratings between the two shows anyways.

Correct. I was bringing up one of the reasons why One Piece's hour special could have been more appealing to a Japanese audience.
Plus other factors like more promotion, more familiarity to younger viewers, and more dedicated watchers since there was a large gap of no DB on television between the end of GT and the premiere of Kai.

You really don't need to shit on Dragon Ball for no reason, One Piece is amazing without needing to put other series down. And every long show, manga, comic has its staples that the writer follows a lot of the time, including One Piece. I also think that just because something is more diverse =/= better which a lot of times it's insinuated or flat out stated. It's always about the execution at the end.

Dude, I'm not shitting on DB. I've been a fan since elementary school, even if I'm extremely lukewarm on Super and I'm not the only one who feels this way.
Even though I'm enjoying the dub on Toonami, it doesn't hide the fact that the execution itself feels hollow and written by committee.
Just stating why, on the surface, a casual watcher would be more interested in Luffy vs Sanji than Goku vs Jiren.
The concept of a betrayal/friend-vs-friend scenario is a pretty captivating thing to people, which is the main reason why it's used so much in fictional stories.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
In light of no new chapter this week, what is this threads taste in anime in general? Only shonens, or even only One Piece? I personally have pretty eclectic taste. Top 5 (excluding One Piece):
Wondering sun
Kaiji
Nichijou
Mobile suit Gundam 0079
Little witch academia

if I'm honest I don't watch too much anime outside of some of the older stuff, normally read manga as it's quicker and the variety is larger.

Ones that I've enjoyed off the top of my head are

Legend of Galactic heroes
FMA: B
Berserk
HxH (watched the ova's never got round to newer series).
TTGL
JoJo (enjoyed Part 2 and 4 the most with a soft spot for 1 found 3 boring as all hell beyond the initial 13 episodes and some of the later ones)

Ogodei

I've watched an asston of stuff over the years. What i've really loved:

Ah! My Goddess
TTGL
Kill la Kill
Claymore
Eureka Seven
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Samurai Champloo
Naruto
Bleach (in its heyday)
Dragonball/Z/Super
My Hero Academia
Attack on Titan.
Azumanga Daioh
Yuru Yuri

So i'm a fan of pretty standard shonen/seinen fare, some slice of life in there too.

Wondering sun
Kaiji
Nichijou
Mobile suit Gundam 0079
Little witch academia

- yu yu hakusho
- dragon ball & z
- cowboy bebop
- attack on titan
- slam dunk
- major!

Need to finish Great Teacher Onizuka at last, since I feel that will end up being at the cream of the crop. Keeping it shonen only. Difficult to leave series such as Death Note, Code Geass, Rouroni Kenshin, Hajime No Ippo among a few others off the list though. :\ Have to say the biggest surprise is how great AoT is in the manga right now. Did not expect it be as fantastic and varied as it is. My favorite manga to read right now by quite a distance, although I've toned down on reading and watching anime/manga in general recently due lack of time. :S

The anime ending of GTO is bad, the rest of it is GOAT material. The manga ending makes up for it by being the best ending in comics.
Glad you're lowering expectations for me

giphy.gif

Difficult to imagine a series having a better ending than Cowboy Bebop or Code Geass. Though CG is adding a season 3, so there's that. :'(

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The anime ending of GTO is bad, the rest of it is GOAT material. The manga ending makes up for it by being the best ending in comics.

caliph95

Top whatever off the top of my head

Planetes
HxH
Fmab
Steins gate
Fate zero
Ouran
Nozaki kun
Barakmon
YYH
Samurai champaloo
Trigun
Azumanga and school rumble
Fumofu

Haven't finished yet but NaNa when I'm done

Favorite manga: Part 7 jojo

My live action list is a lot more sophisticated

Daingurse

currently only read one piece, my hero academia and hunter x hunter.
anime wise, i'm staying up to date with both alongside attack on titan & one punch man.

Anime I've completed and enjoyed are:
- Psycho Pass
- Ergo proxy
- Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
- Death Note(dub version)
- cowboy bebop (was really young when i watched this, one the first anime's i watched)
- outlaw star (was really young when i watched this, one the first anime's i watched)
- Azumanga Daioh
- .hack//sign (& .hack//roots, only for the game not to be released in eu lol)
- hunter x hunter
- naruto + shippuden
- tokyo ravens
- kill la kill
- noragami - thanks to this one i discovered hello sleepwalkers, my fave band right now
- Angel bearts!

and a bunch of other anime I can't remember right now. But my pref outside anime like one piece are more in line with stuff like psycho pass and ergo proxy.

I tend to gravitate towards battle shonen. I've loved them ever since I was a little kid watching DBZ. Watching/reading them always takes me back to simpler times.

Top 5 favorite manga:

Hunter x Hunter
Dragon Ball Z
Rurouni Kenshin
Grappler Baki
One Piece

Top 5 favorite anime series:

Hunter x Hunter (2011)
Dragon Ball Z
Yu Yu Hakusho
The 08th MS Team
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Full Metal Alchemist (OG series)

I'm currently trying to get through the original Saint Seiya manga and anime with my brother. I'm really LTTP on that one. Shit is hella hype though lol. It's pretty cool experiencing a series that has influenced so many other battle manga/anime.

I see a lot of good taste in anime in those lists.

*waits for Blackleg to post his shitty list*
....ahem in no order cuz I’m at work
One piece
Shokugeki no soma
Your lie in April
Kuroko
Hitman reborn
Guilty crown(I know I know )

Hmmm I guess if I was to make a top anything that would top it..don’t stray from shonen really

caliph95

My Top anime

The Wire
Pushing Daisies
The shield
Justified
Person of interest
Breaking Bad/better call Saul
Fargo
The Americans
Parenthood
Parks and recreation

Principate

Saint Titanfall
....ahem in no order cuz I’m at work
One piece
Shokugeki no soma
Your lie in April
Kuroko
Hitman reborn
Guilty crown(I know I know )

Hmmm I guess if I was to make a top anything that would top it..don’t stray from shonen really

Outside of One Piece I see you aren't a man of culture.

Oh uh, anime too

Evangelion
Bebop
Monster
Gurren-Lagann
Aku no Hana
Lain
Welcome to the NHK
Mushishi
Ping-Pong
GIANT ROBO

I hope my lists show that I am a man of taste.

Daingurse

What I would give for Slam Dunk to get remade not by a shit studio.

What's wrong with the anime adaptation? I've heard this before, but I don't really have any familiarity with Slam Dunk. Is it like a Toriko situation? What I would give to have a good anime adaptation of that series . . .

Ray Down

Banned
What's wrong with the anime adaptation? I've heard this before, but I don't really have any familiarity with Slam Dunk. Is it like a Toriko situation? What I would give to have a good anime adaptation of that series . . .

It never finished the final arc, Nationals which has some of the greatest moments in the series.
Badly paced, stiff animation.
Anime really doesn't capture alot of the moments of the series.
four movies that aren't good.
Just really a poor adaptation outside the music which is good.

Fuck off Toei, why did you stop before the nationals Slam Dunk a mega hit.

LotusHD

Banned
Ah, top/favorite anime? To name a few:

One Piece
Once upon a time...
Monster
Hajime no Ippo
Death Note
Kaiji
FMAB
Katangatari
Shirobako
Steins Gate
Hunter X Hunter
Fate/Zero
Shinsekai Yori
Mob Psycho 100
Re:Zero
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Rainbow
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Ping Pong
Haikyuu

I guess I'm probably most drawn to shounen anime, though I don't necessarily know if I'd say it's my favorite genre. If anything, it's due to the length, as I've always liked series that are pretty lengthy. I'll pretty much watch whatever if it looks appealing, or if I heard a lot of good things about it.

Daingurse

It never finished the final arc, Nationals which has some of the greatest moments in the series.
Badly paced, stiff animation.
Anime really doesn't capture alot of the moments of the series.
four movies that aren't good.
Just really a poor adaptation outside the music which is good.

Fuck off Toei.

Haha, I see. That actually does sound a lot like what happened with Toriko! Even down to the music being one of the only strong points. Fucking Toei lol.

I'm usually drawn to anime with a strong visual presentation. I can't stand shows where characters stand around with shitty backgrounds droning on with just their lip-flaps.

Outside of One Piece I see you aren't a man of culture.

He's a Sanji fan, he obviously doesn't have good taste.

Slam Dunk is so GOOD!

Easily one of my fav series.

So many #frauds , this topic just got redeemed. SD stopped because it caught up to the manga. For some reason, they never decided to finish it off. It's a shame since the last game is pretty much one of the best written pieces of fiction. Ever. Of any fictional medium.

A bit of a random tangent but does anyone find it weird that the manga stated Kaido couldn't be executed?

If we can assume his powers come from a possible devil fruit, wouldn't seastone just negate whatever is making him invulnerable?

There's got to be something more to his power.

caliph95

A bit of a random tangent but does anyone find it weird that the manga stated Kaido couldn't be executed?

If we can assume his powers come from a possible devil fruit, wouldn't seastone just negate whatever is making him invulnerable?

He's pretty much stated to be unkillable, even Kaido is suicidal and tried everything and nothing worked

There's the implication he's not human but that could be just rumors

Daingurse

Dude ain't human, so something is definitely going on. He sounds nigh indestructible. Really wonder what kinda vulnerabilities he has, if any.

Impossible durability is sort of the name of the game for One Piece.

Kaido the way he is talked about is that he isn't even human so there more to it then just a DF.

No love for Space Dandy in here?

In my backlog!

I liked space dandy, he kinda reminds me of a mix between franky and sanji.

Seikon No Qwaser is still the greatest anime Ive ever witnessed
while drunk with friends

Top Bottom