• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MegaTen x Fire Emblem announced (Wii U)

Persona86

Banned
Maybe it's going to be an original setting with original characters.

A sort of fusion version of the two series' lore.

I can't think of any other way to make this work in a story perspective.

I thought that was the point, ah damn now you got me worried. I hope it's not a game with a bunch of previous characters trying to fit in, I'd prefer something brand new and totally fresh.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
ItgiuR8.jpg

Has anyone come up with any sort of a plausible idea as to how this would work?

I'm thinking something like the Devil Survivor series (in a sense), with summons being a dual partner ala Fire Emblem Awakening.

I'm not a fan of SMT, so I don't even know what kind of anything to expect at all, but I did play a bit of Devil Survivor.

A.E Suggs

I'm interested to see how they handle the tone, art and music also.

If Atlus have no involvement beyond the license, my anticipation will sink immediately.

You aren't familiar with any games outside of atlus works? Intelligent systems have more or less the same talent that atlus has when it comes to the 3 things you mentioned. I really don't think this a cross-over game with characters either,but I could be wrong.

Dantis

You aren't familiar with any games outside of atlus works? Intelligent systems have more or less the same talent that atlus has when it comes to the 3 things you mentioned. I really don't think this a cross-over game with characters either,but I could be wrong.

I am not familiar with this concept.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Didn't expect anything to surprise me more than the new Monolith... but this is just like, "whoa!"

Better prepare the lube, the pedigree of those 2 franchises means the difficulty is gonna be off the charts...

Beth Cyra

If Atlus have no involvement beyond the license, my anticipation will sink immediately.
It's being presented by Atlus and SMT has top billing. More then that most other collabs have the other company developing the title. Very unlikely Atlus does so little.

Marche90

Normally when Nintendo does a collaboration, they make it so both parties participate in the development. Not worried about this a bit, tbh

It's being presented by Atlus and SMT has top billing. More then that most other collars have the other company developing the title. Very unlikely Atlus does so little.

Also, this.

Snakeyes

My jaw dropped all the way to the floor, literally.

Pretty left field for a crossover but then again, Majin Tensei was quite similar to Fire Emblem.

majin-1.png
majin-3.png

fe3-1.png
fe3-8.png

Lunar15

I think it'll be more interesting to see SMT Fans vs. FE Fans. Sure, there's overlap, but you're also bringing two different, sometimes rabid (lol) fanbases in one place.

THINK OF THE DRAMA.

So, say I've never really played either of these two franchises before, and don't have time to play through more than one game from each series. What would be the best choices?

I was hoping for a FE game today, but totally didn't expect this.

Sadly I've got almost zero knowledge of SMT, but there's always a first!

EDIT

For Fire Emblem, play Fire Emblem: Awakening on the 3DS.

Beth Cyra

So, say I've never really played either of these two franchises before, and don't have time to play through more than one game from each series. What would be the best choices?
SMT 3 Nocturne on Ps2.

I say Radiant Dawn on Wii but most would disagree. Probably better waiting till next month for Awakening.

NeonZ

Maybe it's going to be an original setting with original characters.

A sort of fusion version of the two series' lore.

I can't think of any other way to make this work in a story perspective.

The last FE, Awakening, in its DLC content, introduced "talismans" used by mages to summon spirits of ancient heroes (previous FE characters) and send them to fight.

Either way they go with this project gameplay-wise, I could see the whole "talisman/summoned spirits" idea being used here, especially if they're going to feature all those characters from different games like teased in the promo.

Dantis

It's being presented by Atlus and SMT has top billing. More then that most other collabs have the other company developing the title. Very unlikely Atlus does so little.

I really, really, really hope you're right.

You will be when the time comes.

I'm kidding! I've probably played an Intelligent Systems game, even (Just not Fire Emblem)! Did they do Advance Wars? That sounds right.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of their musicians or artists (I'm not not a fan, mind), whereas I'm a huge fan of MegaTen art and music. The reason I'm so hyped is because in my mind at the moment, it's a game created by these developers that I love. If they aren't involved, then my interest drops to near zero.

Boerseun

Banned
This came out of nowhere and blew my mind. I'm not even sure having this much awesome in one teaser is legal.

Now, this is a crossover that I can get behind. Looks like I won't be buying a Wii U just for Monster Hunter after all. Now i'm buying it for two games!

I bought my Xbox 360 (RIP) for two games (Gears + EDF2017). It's a shame that platform didn't have much of a follow up in terms of worthwhile exclusives. With Wii U at least you know it's going to be different i.e. better.

This looks really intriguing. I love SMT and I love Fire Emblem so this is a win-win regardless of whether it's FE in SMT universe or SMT in FE universe. An SMT SRPG game with permadeath like FE? That'd be a reason to get a Wii U.

Lunar15

Trailer had "Atlus Presents" at the beginning, and SMT got top billing. I think it's safe to say this is Atlus' game. IS was only barely shown at the end.

Either way, I have just as much respect for IS as I do Atlus (they're arguably Nintendo's best developer), so I'm not worried about who's heading the project. Both developers are known for sticking to old-school difficulty and having high respect for their fanbases. It's a match made in heaven, honestly.

Codeblue

I really, really, really hope you're right.

I'm kidding! I've probably played an Intelligent Systems game, even (Just not Fire Emblem)! Did they do Advance Wars? That sounds right.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of their musicians or artists (I'm not not a fan, mind), whereas I'm a huge fan of MegaTen art and music. The reason I'm so hyped is because in my mind at the moment, it's a game created by these developers that I love. If they aren't involved, then my interest drops to near zero.

I'd be ok with Atlus taking over. I want IS to be working on a console FE or A new AW and I really dig SMT's presentation so I wouldn't have to worry about quality.

What I am worried about is the strategy portion falling closer to Devil Survivor than Fire Emblem.

Dantis

Trailer had "Atlus Presents" at the beginning, and SMT got top billing. I think it's safe to say this is Atlus' game. IS was only barely shown at the end.

Either way, I have just as much respect for IS as I do Atlus (they're arguably Nintendo's best developer), so I'm not worried about who's heading the project.

I hadn't even noticed the Atlus Presents thing at the beginning.

Ooooooh shit.

I'd be ok with Atlus taking over. I want IS to be working on a console FE or A new AW and I really dig SMT's presentation so I wouldn't have to worry about quality.

What I am worried about is the strategy portion falling closer to Devil Survivor than Fire Emblem.

I think this is extremely likely if the game is an Atlus production.

i'm genuily confused

i'm happy but well

WTF

i need to know if it's a sprg , a rpg , a fighting game or something

i need more information dammit.

That with "X" just forced me to buy a wii U...

Dammit

Mr. Fix

Either way, I have just as much respect for IS as I do Atlus (they're arguably Nintendo's best developer), so I'm not worried about who's heading the project. Both developers are known for sticking to old-school difficulty and having high respect for their fanbases. It's a match made in heaven, honestly.

I'll buy it regardless!

Kenai

I really, really hope this is good. Y' know, to justify the 10 or so copies I am going to buy. And the Wii U. Although I knew I'd get one eventually, I certainly didn't think this would be the title to push me over the edge.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Are the Fire Emblem crew going to be summoning demons? :0

Also, I know it's mainline SMT, and I don't mind the Persona Crew being left out since they've got their own cross-over series in P4Arena which looks like it might expand to the full Persona Cast, but I wish we had the awesome armored soldier from Strange Journey included.

EDIT: Here's an idea...the SMT Cast summons the ghosts of the Medieval Fire Emblem characters. :0

Sophia

I really have no idea what to think of this... other than the fact that I know I want it. o_o;

No surprise to see that Dantis is here. :p

Snakeyes

Sadly, Majin Tensei was also really bad. :\

Really? It seemed like a decent game for its time based some of the stuff I read online. Oh well, hopefully it draws more on Devil Survivor and FE than anything else under the Megaten umbrella.

Top Bottom