• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0908-1017 - Beep beep, Reese. I- I- I- I- It floats. Oh , yes. It floats.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Has The Shining ever been remade? It could do bananas at the box office. It's older (more nostalgia), and is still referenced today.

Glad to see IT doing so well even if I have no interest in seeing it. Doesn't Wonder Woman break a record or something soon if it crosses 820 worldwide.

Slayven

Has The Shining ever been remade? It could do bananas at the box office. It's older (more nostalgia), and is still referenced today.

Glad to see IT doing so well even if I have no interest in seeing it. Doesn't Wonder Woman break a record or something soon if it crosses 820 worldwide.

In 1997 it was made a miniseries on ABC

There's a "book accurate" TV movie from the late 90s as part of the series of King books turned into TV movies.

Next they should get around to doing the Langoliers. Don't know if it'll be the same without Balki ripping paper or bad 90s CGI teeth balls.

edit: I'm sure people found this terrifying once,
LhpH8Io.gif

edit2: And I think Wonder Woman is finished with setting records for now.

Unless you count Rachel Weisz talking about it,

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/906951009154383872

Ridley327

It got an ABC miniseries that was much more faithful to the novel, but it's not held in high regard at all. I think that the story is versatile enough to get a new adaptation without feeling like it needs to compete with Kubrick's take, which is truly its own thing.

kswiston

I mean...it's Spider-Man.

If they were referring to Homecoming passing Wonder Woman worldwide, that was always going to happen. The Chinese opening was pretty huge, but Homecoming hasn't even made as much as Wonder Woman did in China yet ($90M). It's not like an outsized China gross is what pushed it over the top. A regular China gross for a superhero film would have done the same. It just would have taken 2 weekends instead of 1.

Sean C

It got an ABC miniseries that was much more faithful to the novel, but it's not held in high regard at all. I think that the story is versatile enough to get a new adaptation without feeling like it needs to compete with Kubrick's take, which is truly its own thing.
I think there's definitely room in the marketplace for a version of The Shining that adheres more to the book (which the miniseries tried, but couldn't really pull off for other reasons).

TARS

Neo Member
Incredible numbers for IT! A big 'fuck you' to those who want theaters and the movie-going experience to die. Planning on seeing the movie sometime in the upcoming weeks.

Also, Dunkirk is now at $492M, definitely locked to pass that $500M mark now. A great achievement by Nolan, who will become the first director with 5 >$500M flicks in a row.

Incredible numbers for IT! A big 'fuck you' to those who want theaters and the movie-going experience to die. Planning on seeing the movie sometime in the upcoming weeks.

Also, Dunkirk is now at $492M, definitely locked to pass that $500M mark now. A great achievement by Nolan, who will become the first director with 5 >$500M flicks in a row.

Another notch for Mr. Nolan,

fhIZIAH.gif

Q4obX2u.gif

26d.gif

Funnier in retrospect with It and Wonder Woman doing so well (both critically and financially), though I hardly blame them for the skepticism.

Miles X

Do international markets behave differently? $62m seems quite low for IT. It seems to have opened it most big markets as well, and has broken records for highest horror debut.

Annabelle and Conjuring range from $180 - $220m, was hoping IT would do $300m

If the 20% box office gross contract is true, he will make 100 million dollars plus 20 more of salary.

120 million dollars.

Lmao.

He should start funding his own films cause he is the most bankable individual trademark of movie business today. It's money in the bank.

Ridley327

I think there's definitely room in the marketplace for a version of The Shining that adheres more to the book (which the miniseries tried, but couldn't really pull off for other reasons).

I do, too. I know some will grumble for the reason I mentioned, but there really aren't too many pieces of literature that don't lend themselves to multiple adaptations. One could argue that for all the changes that they made, movies like Jaws and The Godfather are as definitive as adaptations get and dare I say improve tremendously upon the source material, but I think that list, overall, is a rather short one.

TARS

Neo Member
Another notch for Mr. Nolan,

fhIZIAH.gif

tumblr_ojub0jSr371v1we2mo1_500.gif

If the 20% box office gross contract is true, he will make 100 million dollars plus 20 more of salary.

120 million dollars.

Lmao.

He should start funding his own films cause he is the most bankable individual trademark of movie business today. It's money in the bank.
Are we sure that 20% is from pure box office gross and not after breaking even? I'd imagine it'd be hard for WB to get much profit with $100M going to Nolan directly.

Still, get money.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe that one of my favourite horrror stories ever got a remake and

1. the public likes it
2. it did fucking gangbusters
3. rottentomatoes likes it

holy shit. perfect movie or what? I remember the super lukewarm gaf reception.

Funnier in retrospect with It and Wonder Woman doing so well (both critically and financially), though I hardly blame them for the skepticism.

They were 4 for 3. Pretty good odds. To be fair, the first trailers for those movies weren't good either. I laughed during the first WW trailer, even though there weren't any jokes, and IT looked like every other crappy horror movie.

They were 4 for 3. Pretty good odds. To be fair, the first trailers for those movies weren't good either. I laughed during the first WW trailer, even though there weren't any jokes, and IT looked like every other crappy horror movie.
What would you say is the other exception, Power Rangers? It didn't completely tank. I wouldn't call it trash but nothing great either.

I'm not too upset War for the Planet of the Apes unperformed. It delivered on one of the great modern film trilogies and Matt Reeves already landed his next gig with Batman.

Worst outcome is Fox decides to cool it on the next Planet of the Apes film, and it might be for the best. Although it'd be neat if they re-release the original Planet of the Apes for a limited theatrical run to tie into its 50th anniversary next year.

Cipherr

Spidey now ahead of all of the previous Spidey films except for Spider-Man 3

And it has a solid chance at passing it. I think the #1 spidey film is at 890. It will be a stretch but its actually possible. Unreal how much shit this movie got weeks ago and now its about to pass BvS and possibly become the highest grossing Spidey movie of all time.

China releases next week. That should be enough to bump it into the $450M+ range.

I honestly do NOT understand how this could happen. People liked the first one, the second was even better AND made more money, and this is better or equal to the second, and this is a really bad result, imo.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
So how badly is mother! going to get mollywhopped next weekend? Paramount just caught some bad timing there.

I honestly do NOT understand how this could happen. People liked the first one, the second was even better AND made more money, and this is better or equal to the second, and this is a really bad result, imo.

Sometimes, if not often, the success is a measure of the times. And War for the Planet of the Apes is a heavy, heavy, movie not everyone is about at this time.

pixelation

Haven't seen it yet... but the trailers with the twitchy clown movement reminds me of old Marylin Manson videos, and that is not a good thing at all. Still gonna see it of course.

I'm activating my derail powers to address the evil that is this man

Bronson looks like that flower squirts acid

EXPLAIN YOURSELF

I mean, I watched War but didn't watch the other two, soooooo

Wow, IT vastly outperformed my expectations. Great opening with perfect timing.

Also, not only does Spider-Man Homecoming see that China jump, it's #7 domestically because folks have absolutely nothing to watch.

It was good. I'm glad the money is rolling in. Hopefully, this not only leads to more good horror, but more importantly, more great Stephen King films.

The Stand is itching for a good trilogy. Dark Tower is itching for a good MA mini series. I'm sure there are countless other SK novels that could make fantastic movies as well. Get to it HW.

Top Bottom