• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Brothers 3DS will support the C-stick on New 3DS but NOT the Circle Pad Pro

duckroll

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/hardware/accessories/list_slidepad/index.html

Posted this on the Media Create thread, but it's probably worth a thread. So yeah, if you play Smash 3DS on a New 3DS, you get to use the full expanded control options, like using the C-stick to smash. But if you're playing it on the normal 3DS and hope to use the same control scheme on the Circle Pad Pro, you're out of luck. Nintendo has specifically stated on the support page for the CPP that Smash 3DS will -not- support the peripheral. Nintendo just gave a huge middle finger to anyone who supported that add-on. Lol.

Rich!

DSi level upgrade my ass.

It's a Game Boy Color situation, and Nintendo are going to do everything they can to ensure that is the case and that people upgrade for the extra benefits, whether people agree with it or not.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/hardware/accessories/list_slidepad/index.html

Posted this on the Media Create thread, but it's probably worth a thread. So yeah, if you play Smash 3DS on a New 3DS, you get to use the full expanded control options, like using the C-stick to smash. But if you're playing it on the normal 3DS and hope to use the same control scheme on the Circle Pad Pro, you're out of luck. Nintendo has specifically stated on the support page for the CPP that Smash 3DS will -not- support the peripheral. Nintendo just gave a huge middle finger to anyone who supported that add-on. Lol.

first time i've ever actually shouted "What"

I wanted Circle Pad Pro support because that would save my hands from dying, MH3U is really comfortable when I'm using a CPP.

I'm upgrading day one to the New3DS anyways, but damn that's lame.

Why every time I hear bad news on things I like you are the one posting it duckroll?

Why do you hate me?

Damn, and I was actually considering a circle pad too.

That's weird, wonder what reason it won't work for Smash, even though it seems all the past CPP compatible games are on the list as well.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Just for sheer curiosity, at this point, do we know how many Circle Pad Pro have been sold in Japan? IIRC, the number is not that big in the West, but it should be much better in Japan.

duckroll

I wanted Circle Pad Pro support because that would save my hands from dying.

Yeah I think some people prefer the expanded layout since it feels more like a game controller and is less cramped. It's puzzling that it isn't an option at all.

Why every time I hear bad news on things I like you are the one posting it duckroll?

Why do you hate me?

Damn, and I was actually considering a circle pad too.

I don't know. I guess the conclusion is that I'm a terrible person? :(

Ban Puncher

r0luV.gif

Zalman

Seems like something that would be easy to patch if people make some noise about it. I don't care personally, but it should definitely support it.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Do we know if the new "C-stick" and ZL/ZR will be usable in Circle Pad Pro games such as Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Resident Evil Revelations etc?
I've only seen Monster Hunter 4G use it and it's New 3DS enhanced I believe.

Why? Is there any technological reason? It should be possible to interpret the input from the circle pad in the same way as the input from the c-stick.

Ulthwe

Could it have something to do with the CCP covering (and using) the IR port? It's needed for the Amiibo stand, which Smash will be using in some way.

Yeah I think some people prefer the expanded layout since it feels more like a game controller and is less cramped. It's puzzling that it isn't an option at all.

I don't know. I guess the conclusion is that I'm a terrible person? :(
Your words not mine!

But seriously, what the hell man. It just seems so obvious for them to support Smash with this. I mean they're backing that adapter to make the GC controller usable with a WiiU basically for this game, why are they half assing this?

Does the New 3DS have enough RAM to support the Ice Climbers?
They still have a chance!

Nibel

Could it have something to do with the CCP covering (and using) the IR port? It's needed for the Amiibo stand, which Smash will be using in some way.

Mhm, that would make sense. Usually Sakurai tries to give players a huge range of options when it comes to controls and input devices.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I guess this means that Nintendo never officially supported dual sticks in any first party 3DS game. (Kid Icarus used it but only as a left handed replacement, and you still couldn't use both sticks simultaneously.)

Adaren

I'm okay with this. The C-stick is an undeniably faster way to Smash, I don't want people to have an advantage based on the hardware they're using to play the game.

EDIT: Misread nevermind. The situation is literally the exact opposite of my post.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Don't shoot the messenger. This is a mind boggling decision, but boy aren't we used to it by now?

I think I'm going to wait for Wii U version anyway, I can't imagine the control scheme will be anywhere near as good on the 3DS regardless

duckroll

Do we know if the new "C-stick" will be usable in Circle Pad Pro games such as Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Resident Evil Revelations etc?
I've only seen Monster Hunter 4G use it and it's New 3DS enhanced I believe.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/new/features/index.html

別売の「拡張スライドパッド」で実現していた操作が本体に内蔵され、さまざまなゲームでプレイスタイルの幅が広がります。

It specifically says that the control options which the CPP offered as an add-on are built into the system now, allowing for expanded controls in various games. So yes, it should be backwards compatible. After all, Nintendo wants to sell more New 3DS units, but they don't seem to care about supporting the old stuff anymore.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Why would you need a second analog in a game like smash anyway? There's no camera to control...

Flicking directions led to an easy way to get a smash out.

Pretty dumb for them to not have it work when the functionality is there.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
That's a bit surprising. Does the C-stick do more than the CPP?

To be honest, even though I have the CPP, I never did really use it, and this isn't going to influence my decision to get a New(tm) 3DS.

1.Make a console that lacks an absolutely crucial control mechanism that is required for almost any 3D games.
2.Release an overpriced accessory to add the missing mechanism.
3.Do not support the accessory.
4.Make a new model of the handheld that includes a half assed attempt at it so desperate fans will buy another one.

Does this sound about right? They dont have enough Nintendo fans anymore so the Nintendo fans they do have get the shit milked out of them.

Don't shoot the messenger. This is a mind boggling decision, but boy aren't we used to it by now?

I think I'm going to wait for Wii U version anyway, I can't imagine the control scheme will be anywhere near as good on the 3DS regardless
Agreed about the second part, Getting the 3DS one just cause, but i cannot imagine how painful my hands will be cramping after 2-3 good games

flohen95

DSi level upgrade my ass.

It's a Game Boy Color situation, and Nintendo are going to do everything they can to ensure that is the case and that people upgrade for the extra benefits, whether people agree with it or not.

Yeah, I've been thinking that this will be a GBC-style stopgap, too. DSi had almost no exclusive games, n3DS launches with one. And now this, too.

It's not a problem to me though, since I'll upgrade anyway.

Joey Ravn

Banned
It's a weird decision for sure... though, honestly, I don't see how it will affect me negatively that much. It would have been great to be able to use the second circle pad as a way to get quick smashes and the extra buttons for added functions, but meh. It doesn't break the game for me. And I'll still use my 3DS XL inside the CCP, even if it doesn't work, just for the much better ergonomics.

Top Bottom