• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: For Honor campaign is always online.

Would that material difference be enough to cancel your preorder? Not that I preordered it, but others did through PSN and Xbox Live.

Ferrio

Banned
You shouldn't have to connect to anything to player the single player portion of anything, end of discussion.

Who says?

Single player is exactly that, single player. No where in those words does it state it has to be offline. Not saying that we shouldn't cater to people who no internet connections, but I didn't see the stone tablet this particular rule was carved in.

Steiner

Banned
I can't really say much more right now, but I did get to go to a preview event for For Honor recently. There is a specific reason that the single-player and multiplayer are connected; a reason that the single-player needs to be tied to the network.

Many of you still won't think it's acceptable after you learn what's going on, and I'm sure it won't justify the decision in your eyes. Just letting you know it's because of a feature that I think is pretty cool.

This game has campaign? Or is it like Titanfall 1 where you just play on multiplayer maps with bots and thats it

It has a campaign.

Literally not an ounce this causes probs for me or should anyone else for that matter..it's 2017 almost upon us and broadband should be least of your worries..unless I'm missing something here.

styl3s

A single-player experience, should never, ever require any sort of internet connection. They didn't learn from history...Just unacceptable.
I would argue that in some cases (like Diablo) it should require because Diablo 2 was completely ruined thanks to offering a completely offline mode as was Diablo 3 on consoles.

Thank god Blizzard never caved in on the PC version. I don't think the majority of games that have single player with an online mode need an online connection but like with the digital future ahead of us if you don't have access to high speed internet and have small data caps you will eventually be left behind because that's the direction we are headed.

jelly

Why don't they just do it like Dark Souls. A layer that only presents itself when online.

It's bloody stats at the end of the day, upload.

Leflus

Why such a big outcry? Who here on Gaf was actually going to play this game not connected to the internet?
Why such a big outcry? Who here on Gaf was actually going to play the pre-180 Xbox One not connected to the Internet?

It's not about deciding to play the game offline. It's about having the option to do so. It's about not having to rely on servers to be able to play a single player game.

Jawmuncher

I can't really say much more right now, but I did get to go to a preview event for For Honor recently. There is a specific reason that the single-player and multiplayer are connected; a reason that the single-player needs to be tied to the network.

Many of you still won't think it's acceptable after you learn what's going on, and I'm sure it won't justify the decision in your eyes. Just letting you know it's because of a feature that I think is pretty cool.

Well if it's so cool, and it changed their original premise on offered content.
Might be a good idea for them to say why the change, rather than be mum about it.

Yukinari

I didnt know Adam Orth had multiple gaf accounts.

I have pretty good internet and there are still times when it either goes down or the servers for a game go down.

Who says?

Single player is exactly that, single player. No where in those words does it state it has to be offline. Not saying that we shouldn't cater to people who no internet connections, but I didn't see the stone tablet this particular rule was carved in.

A lot of our demands are based on unspoken rules and assumptions based on how we played games in our formative years. For a lot of us on GAF, that was playing single player games on unconnected consoles, which has formed what we expect from single player experiences.

This game has campaign? Or is it like Titanfall 1 where you just play on multiplayer maps with bots and thats it

From the previews and trailers, it seems to have a decently produced campaign for all three factions.

SRTtoZ

Is it like a Dark Souls experience at least? I mean even in DS you can go offline from the menu but damn, that sucks.

Boke1879

Yup. No one is buying this game now. Hopefully this gets attention and they turn this shit off. Which you know they can do

Deadbeat

Banned
Every time a game has always online people flood the thread saying "whats the problem? Im always on the internet". Every time the game comes out it has server difficulties leading to people being unable to play the game they purchase. Then there are countless articles commenting on the technical difficulties about the always online. Then there are threads talking about how always online is bad for singleplayer. Then consumers proceed to forget all this and repeat the same song and dance when the next game comes along and does always online.

Ashtar

Their homepage states that the campaign will be playable offline, but I guess they had a change of heart. I asked specific about the campaign too. After the "Internet required" box art rumor I did some poking around. I wrote to their community manager, and here is what he told me:

We can confirm that For Honor is an always online experience. Some elements of progression, which is hosted online, are shared across story and multiplayer modes. Players will need to be connected to the Internet at all times to play For Honor.

If someone needs proof, I will post a screenshot later. I'm at work now.

Anyways, just wanted to warn you so you don't get fooled by their previous offline promise.
God dammit

Here's what I think- majority of the appeal of this game is going to be from the Multiplayer side so regardless you're gonna need online and all the inherit flaws with it.

On the other hand, we see all too easily how quickly developers can take down servers and with the trouble Ubisoft have right now nothing is safe. Having a single player mode on bad days would help the issue.

On the other other hand... this game is really unique, probably the best melee combat coming from a western developer since Arkham ...and that combat isn't good in the long run. I want to see this system take off so developers would stop using the lazy Batman system.

Artdayne

LOL at the comments in this thread. This is a multiplayer game, that is 90% of the focus of this game. It was revealed firstly as a multiplayer game. Do people actually buy Call of Duty just for the single player? That basically be the same thing.

On the other other hand... this game is really unique, probably the best melee combat coming from a western developer since Arkham.

Best melee combat from any developer since, idk, Street Fighter 5?

It has a campaign.
You will be ashamed of your words and deeds

Aka this means nothing

Wensih

Steep is as well, why the outrage here?

People thought the squabble of making Microsoft scrap their plans for Xbox One's always online architecture was a larger acomplishment then the actuality of the event. Developers this generation were always going to push for increasing online integration, either to implement novel features or to track player movement and collect data.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Preorder canceled. Oh wait i didn't pre-order. Well i would have pre-ordered if they had shown anything other than multiplayer.

If there actually is a fully fleshed out campaign that for all intents and purposes could be played alone, yet is always online in spite of that, that's when we have problems

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Fucking sucks but it's still my number one game for Q1 2017 and I'll just play it like I did with The Division. Not that biggest deal. Now, if I can't save my progress like Hitman was, then we have a problem.

I seriously just cancelled my preorder for this. I was really looking forward to this. Oh well I have other games that I can use my money for now.

Tagyhag

We don't have any real confirmation yet, but I wouldn't put it past Ubi.

What I don't understand though, is why people are defending Ubi for lying. I don't see how that's justified at all.

jelly

It's probably about they wanting to monitor everything you do.

Can't we just rate the missions like AssCreed. The things they do to get feedback.

These gamers really love collectables from our always online stats, let's put more in.

First they cut split screen co-op and For Honor went from a day 1 purchase to a wait and see.

Now the campaign is always online?

Get fucked, Ubisoft.

Top Bottom