• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SE releases Arkanoid vs Space Invaders on iOS/Android

So apparently someone at SE was throwing things at the wall one day and these two things happened to stick together on it and that was how this was created. #totallycannon

Price: $3.99
Developer: Square Enix
Links: iOS ; Android

_6nHBbvat5kBcpRsko4-h6XHJOJknw58aRLQALY0mtKYgXCR6QOaa99-ffOZrTDpInfb=h900

9AV57nvqHKumfWHtN51f5ouCEDBDC75zn7kOaquf_JfgV0BzqW614bG96IomoLFBng=h900

B6b0ZTQTx-cP6LN2y9gsXIZilat2DJuXBFipJvuxOyrcl3xf0-dOvOCfc1tnYEHq6Q6L=h900

cEhNz6TVTwFssQ4JbjBGxVrtWjm0ZiV55J_F_t0zm8LSz7Wnf4eQL17tw8lEjIbNhJQ=h900
Impressions on the game are pretty good so far.

womp

It's $3.99 on Android...I snagged it earlier. I am not a mobile gaming fan but I instantly put my Google Opinions credit to work and grabbed it. As a long time Taito fan this is bliss. It's absolutely fantastic and worth the money. No in app purchase bullshit...cool tunes...and very polished. If anything it makes me wish it were on DS.

Grab it.

Can this come to something other than mobile please.

I don't want touch for space Invaders.

I dislike mobile gaming with a passion but the game plays fine. You control the Vaus from Arkanoid and it works decent enough with touch. Android version has controller support though too. But yes, I don't like touch myself...

Wow, I'd forgotten this was a thing. Was excited for it when it was announced over three years ago, thought the project was canned. Will definitely be checking it out.

BTails

This looks awesome. I sang the Arkanoid jingle as soon as I saw the screenshots.

Lots of Taito love in there, does it feature music from multiple Taito arcade games? Would love to hear some Bubble Bobble, Rastan Saga, and others.

Wanderer5

This looks pretty cool. Was thinking about checking out a new mobile game (and a premium one at that), and this could do.

This is a fun one. I also find it funny how the iOS icon name is just "AvsI" - I bet that took a few meetings to settle on.

Picked it up. Hope it runs at 60fps like Space Invaders Infinity Gene did way back in 2010. Seems like it'll be a good fit for phones, since you can play one-handed with ease.

Yohane

Puyo Puyo vs Tetris
Arkanoid vs Space Invaders

That's a trend I can get behind!

Pokemon vs Megaten next plz Nintendo

I rarely play mobile games but decided to give this one a chance. This is pretty cool and the two work well together.

Thanks for the heads up!

Shaneus

Ugh, downloaded for my hour long train trip to work, open it to find it wants to download a buttload of extra days. Keep this in mind, people!

Camjo-Z

This is surprisingly good, the hard levels can get pretty frantic. Nice to play a game like this without timers and IAPs ruining the fun.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
This has a TON of Taito characters, including some obscure ones, to unlock. Examples include:

- Kaori Tachibana from the 1997 music quiz arcade game, Kirameki Star Road
- Nico from Spica Adventure, a 2005 platformer arcade game
- the spy from Elevator Action
- Zac from PuLiRuLa, that weird 1991 arcade beat-'em-up
- Chack'n from Chack'n Pop, a possible ancestor to Bubble Bobble
- Tiki the kiwi from The New Zealand Story
- Sonic Blast Man from...well, Sonic Blast Man
- Great Thing from the Darius series
- Kunoichi from The Ninja Warriors

duckroll

Wow, a Taito All Stars game featuring gameplay from two of the most iconic games from yesteryear? This is so rad. Does it have online only DRM or some shit?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wow, a Taito All Stars game featuring gameplay from two of the most iconic games from yesteryear? This is so rad. Does it have online only DRM or some shit?
You'll need to download some extra data upon starting the game, but I don't think it's online required. Maybe unless you want to play Ranking Mode.

Oh yeah, & super neat that once you clear a set of stages, you unlock their hard mode, which is indeed hard.

womp

I just put my phone in airplane mode, restarted the game and played a stage to completion. No problem!

@MUWANdo

Banned
Wow, I'd forgotten this was a thing. Was excited for it when it was announced over three years ago, thought the project was canned. Will definitely be checking it out.

It came out last year as a f2p LINE app and was discontinued pretty quickly; this is a reworking that removes the f2p/gacha elements.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think what's the most amazing about this is it could've completely gone the freemium route of having energy bars, buying more coins, ads to watch, etc., but throws it all out the window.

This is a perfect example of what I want when it comes to a mobile game. I'd argue the touch controls work much better than trying to deal with an analog stick because your thumb is much faster at reflecting/grabbing.

It came out last year as a f2p LINE app and was discontinued pretty quickly; this is a reworking that removes the f2p/gacha elements.
& thank god they did.

The game has a backend client that you download after installation. But the game can be played offline.

Theoretically, if SE ever decides to end the client the game would no longer be usable and downloaded content would disappear. I don't see SE doing that though. Space Invaders Infinity was released in 2009 and that still is getting updated every so often.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Any word on if you get characters for getting a rank 5 achievement, i.e. collect ## silver badges or destroy ##### blocks, or is it just more coins?

Also, for the "beat 20 bosses", I think you can replay a stage, so basically, you could just replay the first boss over & over again.

Bless them for the Android release. I might just buy this for Bub and Bob's inclusion. Makes me happy to see them again. Entry fee raises my confidence in it, too. I'm a bit exhausted with free, ad-ridden games.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
She was in Castle of Shikigami 3 and Elevator Action Deluxe as well. As obscure characters go, she's been pretty prominent.
OH GOD, that's right, she was Reika Kirishima in CoS3. I keep forgetting since they don't really look alike.

But yeah, she was free DLC in Elevator Action Deluxe:

reika.jpg

How do you unlock her in the game? She one of the later characters??

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Stage 46 unlocked, now have Iron Fossil (Darius), Nico Kanzaki (lol not even Google knows), & Monsta (Bubble Bobble).

I'm really wishing they had some kind of "original appearance" or something for these more obscure characters.

Edit: Is the witch character you get for entering Attack Mode 300 times Ptolemy from The Fairyland Story?

jengo

Bless them for the Android release. I might just buy this for Bub and Bob's inclusion. Makes me happy to see them again. Entry fee raises my confidence in it, too. I'm a bit exhausted with free, ad-ridden games.

This was free-to-play/gacha and integrated into the LINE messaging app when it released in Japan last year. Service shut down though. Kinda cool they released it overseas in this way!

That explains a lot, glad it's been reworked at least. Though I guess it still won't be the same as if it were designed from the ground up for different business model.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
This is fun, and it strikes me as extremely smart to retool failed gacha games into real games. It seems like a cost-effective, low-risk way to recoup some development costs. Any other games that have followed this route?

That explains a lot, glad it's been reworked at least. Though I guess it still won't be the same as if it were designed from the ground up for different business model.
Yeah, you can definitely still feel hints of grinding and gacha mechanics in some parts of the game. Still liking it though.

I'm sure I would like this game a lot more if I knew any of these characters or played their games.

After half an hour of clear sailing I found the first difficulty spike in the game.

How do you reliably beat stage 35 without being insanely good or lucky?

Top Bottom