• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at Atari's new console, "Ataribox"

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
There were whispers of TxK making an appearance on PSVR or PC VR or something, so maybe! If the emulation is up to snuff, that is. And last I checked, it wasn't :/

Eh, if I want 2600 games, I'd get one of the upcoming Atari Flashback 8 Gold Activision Edition consoles that AtGames is releasing in a couple of months.

I want the other stuff. Yes, even the Jaguar games.

Zubz

Banned
I don't know what to expect here. It looks cool, but I don't see what the goal of the system is. Is it an emulator that plays newer games? In that case, what kinds of new releases: small indie stuff or AAA launches.

That said, I'd love to keep an eye on it. But didn't the company that owns the Atari name now do some shady stuff before?

1morerobot

Not seeing this doing much, sales-wise. Most Atari games are just not much fun to play these days. Not digging this design much either. They should've followed Nintendo's lead and made a replica of the 2600.

For me to pick this up, I'll need it to include Super Breakout (with paddle controller or port for original 2600 controllers), Circus Atari, Space Invaders... and Demon Attack.

AmyS

All three San Francisco Rush arcade games, or bust.

jwRYdog.jpg
4LmXpyu.jpg

btrboyev

Microsoft thriving in the industry was the result of a few events out of their own control.

1) Nintendo going even more kid-friendly (GCN, Wii)
2) Sony killing the greatest console market share of all time with a terrible launch (PS3)

The only thing Microsoft did was having throw away money.

The OG Xbox was not a worthwhile competitor to Sony, doing short of 25 mil (a commercial failure in the industry), and had it been any other company, the Xbox platform would be dead after that.

However, they had the money to throw at an early launch for a next gen console (4 short years).
Which was slightly underpowered, at that. If Sony hadn't made the PS3 confusing to develop for, and didn't royally screw up the launch, 360 would have failed, and after that they'd keep making failing consoles.

I mean look at the market share:
Gen 5
Sony - 103mil sold - 68%
Nintendo - 33mil sold - 22%
Sega - 9mil sold - 7%
3DO, Atari, Others - 3%

Gen 6
Sony - 155mil sold - 73%
Microsoft - 24mil sold - 12%
Nintendo - 22mil sold - 11%
Sega - 9mil sold - 4%

Gen 7
Nintendo - 101mil sold - 38%
Sony - 85mil sold - 32%
Microsoft - 84mil sold - 31%

Microsoft's solely captured market share from Nintendo, while Sony took even more market share in the Sixth Generation.

But Gen 7 Microsoft solely grew on stolen Sony market share. If Sony had retained most of it's market share (factoring in the success of the Wii too).
Gen 7 - alt
Sony - 170mil - 63%
Nintendo - 81mil - 30%
Microsoft - 19mil - 7%

Microsoft's success had only to do with money, and Sony screwing up, something that an Atari console doesn't have (mid gen cycle means no Sony/MS launch fails, no capital means no money)

LOL
OG Xbox not a competitor? 360 underpowered?

Your entire post is trash.

The junior status never fails

is the joystick one button encased with a rubber sleeve that looks like an auto stick?

how would i place spy hunter, i need a button for oil slick.

Looks nice enough.

Sega really really needs to re-release a digital only Dreamcast with wireless controllers, broadband capability with access to a digital storefront for the entire catalogthacan also use the original accessories wired.
This. But making a service on PS4 and xbone instead of launching another console.

I hope it's not another Android app store gaming machine, but more a full blown next-gen in competition with MS, Sony and Nintendo... WITH CROSSPLAY SUPPORT, DEAR GOD!!

We should not split up the player base even further!

Fou-Lu

I mean... It looks cool and it is cool that it exists, but there is pretty much zero chance it does well, right?

LOL
OG Xbox not a competitor? 360 underpowered?

Your entire post is trash.

The junior status never fails

The market share doesn't lie. 12% market share isn't competing with 74% in the slightest, so I don't know how you could entertain an idea like that.

and as for saying the 360 was underpowered I just meant slightly less powerful to the PS3. Which is the case.

Of course, you are either a complete idiot, delusional, or an xbox fanboy to think that 12% market share is competing in the console industry.

For reference, that's almost half the N64's market share (which was barely competing with the PS1), and a similar market share to the PC-Engine/TurboGrafx-16. I don't think anyone considered that to be competing with Genesis or SNES.

Hell, even the Wii U has a higher market share than that right now.

Make it a SteamOS box. Slap a bunch of classic Atari games in it. Let Steam's Linux support supply a bunch of games for it out of the box. Make a little on hardware, establish the brand, maybe a profit-sharing deal with Valve is some fashion? Use Steam controllers? ...could capture some success so long as is cheap and has a library.

Not to you maybe. But if they are able to go for a good performance/price ratio + AAA third party support + one or two good exclusives they could build a good foundation for a new Atari console brand, just like Microsoft did with the original xbox. Nothing that would be able to challenge Sony or Microsoft now, but maybe next gen. Of course it needs to be x64 based for that to happen and that's not very likely.

This is DOA, as it solves and provides nothing the other 4 platforms don't already do and better.

Worthless.

wondermega

I work in the game industry for 20 yrs and my parents don't say boo about it.
There was a click about this story "new Atari console" on Entertainment Tonight or whatever the hell they watch and they asked me about it.

I was born in the mid 70s and Nintendo means the beginning of important games to me - my folks were born 20-odd years earlier and Atari has the same meaning, even if it is synchronous with Jukebox.

Nintendo, Sega, Atari. When Nintendo's current NES could not even be manufactured enough to make the money that name was worth, their peers of the day took notice, and here we are. If it has Pacman, Space Invaders, and.. like, River Raid.. it will make bank. Good for them.

Chev

I'm still royally pissed at this company calling itself Atari for successfully blocking the PS4/PC releases of TxK.

If you should be pissed at them for something it should be for stealing all rights to Alone in the Dark from its actual creator back when they published it. They've been found guilty of that last year and basically owe him 25 years of royalties, which he'll probably never get due to the whole bankruptcy thing.

C'mon get real people thinking this thing is being built as a competitor to modern consoles. This thing will be a "high end" version of those cheap as shit all-in-one boxes you see on store end caps.

The people who now own the Atari name and rights seem to vastly over estimate the impact and popularity those games have with modern audiences. The NES seems to be the cut off point for most people in terms of what constitutes a "classic" game. The stuff before that is like silent movies.

This isn't going to be for competing with the big boys. Atari is just trying to cash in on the nostalgia train, like how Nintendo and Sega are releasing their old game boxes. And they are going to crowdfund it, so they are mitigating any risk.

AmyS

Forbes contributor opinion piece:

Atari Could Disrupt The Game Console Market With The Upcoming Ataribox

Atari’s CEO has also said that the Ataribox will leverage PC technology. Assuming that second point is correct, that means the Ataribox will likely feature a multi-core x86 processor and either AMD or NVIDIA graphics. It could even feature a custom AMD APU, similar to what’s already inside the Xbox One or PlayStation 4.

The retro-look of the console and the potential for it to use PC technology could mean a lot of things. First, the console could be capable of running modern games with visuals that rival the Xbox One and PS4. It may even be some sort of new ‘Steam Box’ that can access the myriad of content available on Steam.

Retro gaming is HOT right now. One needs to look no further than the success of the elusive NES Classic Edition to know that consumers are still eager to play older games.

Atari may be facing a steep, uphill battle in the console marker, where Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo reign supreme, but should the Ataribox offer a mix of new compelling titles, along with the ability to play the multitude of classic games from Atari consoles of the past, it could be appealing to an extremely wide segment of the gaming market, especially if it undercuts the competition on price.

Maybe.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Forbe's contributor is mistakenly assuming that Retro Nintendo games being hot means all retro gaming is hot. It's not. Nobody is clamoring for Asteroids and Outlaw.

M3d10n

Forbe's contributor is mistakenly assuming that Retro Nintendo games being hot means all retro gaming is hot. It's not. Nobody is clamoring for Asteroids and Outlaw.

This. There have been several Genesis miniconsoles available in many form factors and they didn't do so hot.

Exactly. Actually, I would say that retro gaming as a whole IS hot, or at least could be if made and marketed well.

EXCEPT for Atari. Their heyday was in the early arcade and 2600 days. I was there. 2600 games do not hold up. Some arcade titles do, but they're short, shallow, and difficult.

Atari's name recognition has been considered valuable for 30+ years. And in all that time, as it's been bought and sold and kicked around, never has that proven to be the case. If this box is going to succeed, it won't be because of nostalgia, name recognition, or the strength of its past library. It'll have to be on compelling new content.

I have a hard time picturing that happening.

Top Bottom