• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

mr.rager

I don't have the ability to play the JP version unfortunately. Double Cross hasn't even been announced for us NA peasants yet.

I almost expect it to be upgraded to the Switch along with a 3DS release like MH3U. Probably an announcement at E3.

That's what I'm expecting as well. Odds are I'll buy the switch once MHXX gets announced for it. I think MH is the only series I've ever double dipped on. MHX, MHGen, MHXX, MHGU when it gets announced.

I used to be so into Monster Hunter and now I can't even be bothered with it. Not really sure why.

Series fatigue. It was almost the old Ubisoft model.

Though they never released MonHun Stories here...

It's definitely the fatigue, I feel it too at times but when that happens I'll go play another game and come back to MH later and get hooked again.

They really need to add something REALLY big to MH5 or else I can't see it holding peoples attention for a long time.

:edit:

I'm currently playing as Brave CB and i'm enjoying it a lot. My only complaint is the time it takes to ramp up the dps like charging the phials and getting into Brave mode but when you get into Brave mode tho.. it's glorious!

apparently it's not REALLY an escape room

it sounds more like a class project where you're partnered with the people sitting at your table. you only have 1 hour to finish, then at the end they reveal the solutions.

I hear the puzzles are pretty good but the thing overall is a bit underwhelming

Hmm.. interesting. Thanks for letting me know.

Also I don't mean to alarm everyone but...

!

Must find

Jayhawk

Here's an article with impressions from people who went through the Zelda escape room.
http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/31/14454300/zelda-escape-the-room-scrap-adventure-puzzle-ganondorf

It's not your typical escape room with a group trapped in a small confined space or a series of confined spaces, but you're still solving puzzles albeit in a much larger space with different sections and actors cosplaying as different races from the Zelda lore.

Setting up a limited-time, escape room tour and trying to get as many people participating doesn't make much sense financially and logistically with the usual escape room locations that have only a handful of rooms that can be used by one group at a time per room.

The authors of the above article had fun and seemed satisfied. Not sure if underwhelming would be the general feeling among most people who have already experienced the Zelda escape room. Out of the 15 groups that participated during the session attended by the link's author, only three groups succeeded and won plastic master swords.

EDIT:

http://venturebeat.com/2017/02/20/t...ape-room-struggles-to-adapt-the-classic-game/

Here's another article with impressions. This author hoped for a bit more in terms of production value, and described more issues than my first link. However, he understood the limitations and logistics of a touring escape room.

But Defenders of the Triforce was a lot of fun. It played to the Zelda fan in me, and while it wasn't perfect — or the best room escape I've done — it was still an enjoyable night out, and something Zelda fans should check out as it travels.

Oh, and we were one of only four teams to actually complete the game. So take that, Ganon.

-Deimos

I used to be so into Monster Hunter and now I can't even be bothered with it. Not really sure why.

Also I don't mean to alarm everyone but...

gol15.jpg

jl4855

Or they're just too busy buying Founders KBS. People are walking out with cases. One dude walked out with four. That's like $700. Some dude dropped $700 on Founders KBS. Quite a few of these people are driving up from the United States, too. The store was fucking wild today. (I already tried one. Yup, it's really fucking good!)

impossible to find! $700 on 4 cases is NUTS.

impossible to find! $700 on 4 cases is NUTS.

Tomorrow morning, the following five locations should still have stock:

15 York Street (I don't know why they have so much, but they pretty much have all of it atm)
1230 Dundas St. W
10 Scrivener Square
420 Spadina Road
2 Cooper Street (these last two don't have much left, though)

I'm drinking another bottle of it as I post. This shit is so good, goddamn.

Wow, that Zelda escape room/puzzle solving event looks...awful. :( I was about to put down cash for some tickets just on principle - Zelda thing!! - but 50 bucks for that? smh

Are we reaching Japanese cheesecake saturation point yet? Cheese Garden opened in North York at Yonge and McKee. It's pretty good and they also have a "double fromage" which I have yet to try. Another Love Me Sweet location is also opening at Yonge and Sheppard.

I was about to come back to this thread all excited to post about more whisky because the LCBO just got Macallan 12 Yr. Double Oak and when was the last time we saw age statement Macallan but I just tried some so... nevermind.

It wasn't that good. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

HOWEVER!

Sour beer news!

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René is now back in stock.
Also, we just got bottles of Citra Grove from Bench Brewing. It's a kettle sour brewed with citra hops. High in acidity, nice citrus lemon flavors, very tart, very lush. Very nice beer.

dluu13

I was about to come back to this thread all excited to post about more whisky because the LCBO just got Macallan 12 Yr. Double Oak and when was the last time we saw age statement Macallan but I just tried some so... nevermind.

It wasn't that good. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

HOWEVER!

Sour beer news!

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René is now back in stock.
Also, we just got bottles of Citra Grove from Bench Brewing. It's a kettle sour brewed with citra hops. High in acidity, nice citrus lemon flavors, very tart, very lush. Very nice beer.

Aw man I haven't even gotten to try the breakfast stout yet. I've been trying to drink less though.

jl4855

pricey too for the 12-yr... but agree, nice to finally see it on the shelves.

Quadratic

Tomorrow morning, the following five locations should still have stock:

15 York Street (I don't know why they have so much, but they pretty much have all of it atm)
1230 Dundas St. W
10 Scrivener Square
420 Spadina Road
2 Cooper Street (these last two don't have much left, though)

I'm drinking another bottle of it as I post. This shit is so good, goddamn.

I went to Summerhill after work yesterday. I think I saw you at the check out but you were on the phone. I got a couple of bottles of the KBS. I expect to be knocked out after drinking one. It's 12% ABV!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Last fair warning to all you sushi lovers. The downtown location of Solo Sushi will be done end of next Friday.

I seriously cannot recommend this place highly enough. He said he's looking for another location, but I have no idea where it'll end up. It could be outside the city like his other location. I've been to all the high end places except for Zen Sushi (the new location) and Kaiseki Yu-Zen Hashimoto (which isn't just sushi), and I can honestly say you will not match Solo Sushi's rice and preparation. The only other place that comes close is JaBistro on account of their blowtorch sushi but their regular stuff doesn't compare.

ahdurian

Last fair warning to all you sushi lovers. The downtown location of Solo Sushi will be done end of next Friday.

I seriously cannot recommend this place highly enough. He said he's looking for another location, but I have no idea where it'll end up. It could be outside the city like his other location. I've been to all the high end places except for Zen Sushi (the new location) and Kaiseki Yu-Zen Hashimoto (which isn't just sushi), and I can honestly say you will not match Solo Sushi's rice and preparation. The only other place that comes close is JaBistro on account of their blowtorch sushi but their regular stuff doesn't compare.

fucking this
go to Solo Sushi while you can
it's one of the only things I can't say "Fuck Kuro" to

gabbo

Where is this place located? Gf loves sushi

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Fucking Liberals at all levels of government constantly trying to screw us as hard as they can. The transit tax refund isn't nearly as big as the back peddling on election reform and other issues, but fuck if it doesn't cheese me off too. And thanks to falling ridership numbers on the TTC continuing, you can look forward to the 6 year streak of fare increases continuing into the future.

They have us by the balls though. NDP is a mess and Tories are as close to a never option for me as possible. Governments around the world must be pissing themselves with joy that Trump is pulling front page headlines everywhere, so they can pretty much do whatever they want. I wish Canadians gave half as much as a shit about their own politics as they do American politics.

And then at the municipal level, we have 'moderate' Tory pissing away billions while doing his best Ford shouting SUBWAYS SUBWAYS SUBWAYS. I'm going to lose my mind.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Fucking Liberals at all levels of government constantly trying to screw us as hard as they can. The transit tax refund isn't nearly as big as the back peddling on election reform and other issues, but fuck if it doesn't cheese me off too. And thanks to falling ridership numbers on the TTC continuing, you can look forward to the 6 year streak of fare increases continuing into the future.

They have us by the balls though. NDP is a mess and Tories are as close to a never option for me as possible. Governments around the world must be pissing themselves with joy that Trump is pulling front page headlines everywhere, so they can pretty much do whatever they want. I wish Canadians gave half as much as a shit about their own politics as they do American politics.

And then at the municipal level, we have 'moderate' Tory pissing away billions while doing his best Ford shouting SUBWAYS SUBWAYS SUBWAYS. I'm going to lose my mind.
You should vote for the Conse...umm...ND...fuck...Gree...nope...Communist?

There you go. Vote Communism.

Also, I do care but the majority of Canadians don't give a fuck unless something egregious happens or they're fucking Ford supporters.

Also, Cripplegate why the fuck does only Summerhill have that goddamn whiskey?! It's all Markham or fucking Ottawa.

dluu13

You should vote for the Conse...umm...ND...fuck...Gree...nope...Communist?

There you go. Vote Communism.

Also, I do care but the majority of Canadians don't give a fuck unless something egregious happens or they're fucking Ford supporters.

Also, Cripplegate why the fuck does only Summerhill have that goddamn whiskey?! It's all Markham or fucking Ottawa.

Heh, my friend told me to register as a member of the conservative party so that I can vote for a more moderate conservative leader. He's so far down the list that he's got like no chance of winning though.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Heh, my friend told me to register as a member of the conservative party so that I can vote for a more moderate conservative leader. He's so far down the list that he's got like no chance of winning though.
Pfft. You'd probably be a better candidate yourself.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Blah double blah!

Going to Brampton to celebrate my mom's bday. Might also be looking at homes in Brampton.

Gross!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Also picked up this Founders KBS. It doesn't look amazing or anything but I guess I'll see.

Uncle Tetsu's still has a goddamn line up and the cafe next door now only sells cheese tarts, which were pretty good.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Also, y'all need to give me some good restaurant tips (nothing over the top luxurious please) for when I'm in town. I think the only recommendation so far was Copacabana.

Down for anything!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Also, y'all need to give me some good restaurant tips (nothing over the top luxurious please) for when I'm in town. I think the only recommendation so far was Copacabana.

Down for anything!
Check OP but you need to give guidelines like price and preference. Otherwise, I'll recommend Brass Rails.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Check OP but you need to give guidelines like price and preference. Otherwise, I'll recommend Brass Rails.

Preference: Anything not shellfish. Preferably not Sushi (we have plenty awesome sushi here) or Italian (I eat that enough by myself already). Maybe some good Pho/Ramen? Korean? Something more classically Ontario/Canada/East Coast, if that even exists?

Price: Let's say, below 30pp? Really not too strict, it's a vacation after all. Just nothing too crazy.

Otherwise, the closer to metro/public transit the better.

I didn't even realize how thorough the OP was in terms of restaurants, but not sure when that was updated last/how up-to-date it is? I'll keep it in mind though!

edit: "The Brass Rail is one of Toronto's most notable strip clubs. It is located on Yonge Street just south of Bloor." .....now hold on a second here

Lexxism

I still don't know why they think increasing the fare will help increase the ridership.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I still don't know why they think increasing the fare will help increase the ridership.

The problem is when the conservatives came to power (mike harris) they FUCKED toronto and the TTC so hard. Not only the canceled projects but they removed the majority of money the TTC gets from the rider subsidy.

So basically what has happened is the TTC/City can't do shit on it's own and is forced to beg the province/feds for money.

No one reinstated the subsidy.

We probably didn't get too much in the warehouse (I never checked). My store and I think that one in Ottawa are flagship stores so we usually get everything (i.e. stock is forced to us, whereas other stores need to request it if they want it and most aren't going to bother with a niche category like Japanese whisky).

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Preference: Anything not shellfish. Preferably not Sushi (we have plenty awesome sushi here) or Italian (I eat that enough by myself already). Maybe some good Pho/Ramen? Korean? Something more classically Ontario/Canada/East Coast, if that even exists?

Price: Let's say, below 30pp? Really not too strict, it's a vacation after all. Just nothing too crazy.

Otherwise, the closer to metro/public transit the better.

I didn't even realize how thorough the OP was in terms of restaurants, but not sure when that was updated last/how up-to-date it is? I'll keep it in mind though!

edit: "The Brass Rail is one of Toronto's most notable strip clubs. It is located on Yonge Street just south of Bloor." .....now hold on a second here
Yeah, EM did a great job with it.

To be honest, I'm pretty sure you're going to have comparable, if not better, ramen and likely pho in Vancouver.

Otherwise, everyone breaks the city down into neighbourhoods.

Hmmm..."classically Ontario", "East Coast", "under 30" tells me you should go to St Lawrence Market for the peameal bacon sandwich and a butter tart for breakfast, wander around, and then go to Buster's Sea Cove or the restaurant owned by the same people outside St Lawrence market that's close by.

For Korean food, if you're talking close to public transportation then you really only have Koreatown at Christie station or up near Finch station. If you have nothing else to do, go up to Finch where you'll get your Korean fix and they also have a good Udon place (MeNami) up there and a Hakata Shoryuken Ramen that's pretty good. I haven't particularly had a great or terrible experience at any Korean place I've been though I can recommend the bossam at Arisu at Christie station. If you're near Christie station, you can also get some great Tonkatsu (Mr Tonkatsu) that's at Bathurst station.

Other recommendations
Kensington Market - lots of eclectic places here with a BBQ place (J and J) that is getting some buzz. You can also try that Thai rolled ice cream that is/was? all the rage and German Doners too. It's close to Spadina Chinatown (though only Rol San or Mother's Dumplings is worth going to for me until something else catches my eye).

Yonge/Eglinton - there's a kick ass Javanese cafe, an awesome French cafe, and a bunch of other decent restaurants in the area.

High Park - Barque's smokehouse is highly recommended. Cafe Polonez is also highly recommended. Cherry Bomb Cafe is probably my favourite and they have the best croissants - even better than anything I had in Montreal. I *think* you may be too early for the cherry blossoms in the park this year though.

Yorkville - there is a ton of overpriced garbage here, but I really like Jacques Bistro du Parc. Everything else you can seriously get cheaper and better elsewhere.

Danforth - at Coxwell station has some great Greek places. My favourites are Messini and Pantheon.

The problem is when the conservatives came to power (mike harris) they FUCKED toronto and the TTC so hard. Not only the canceled projects but they removed the majority of money the TTC gets from the rider subsidy.

So basically what has happened is the TTC/City can't do shit on it's own and is forced to beg the province/feds for money.

No one reinstated the subsidy.
I'd rather we spend 4-5 billion on that Scarborough subway line.
kappa

Edit: Cripplegate, the Founders was decent. It's probably the only beer I've had that states it uses coffee and chocolate and I can actually taste it there. It's not knock my socks off good like Bulmer's (I don't care what they say, Magner's is NOT THE SAME) or a good sour.

Top Bottom