• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard is making a mobile MMO RTS game, possibly Warcraft branded

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Summary:
  1. Blizzard put up a new job posting for a Unity based iOS/Android MMO RTS.
  2. It's not 100% clear if this is the same game as the Warcraft mobile game they've been making. These new jobs are quite senior, and Blizzard was previously hiring a bunch of non-senior staff to make a mobile title that's seemingly been in development for 18 months or so. Obviously it's a dead-ringer for brand + genre though.
  3. If you're currently sitting there and going "What on earth is a mobile MMO RTS???", then check out this short trailer for Art of Conquest, which is the most likely fit among games that have been called a mobile MMO RTS: https://youtu.be/3gRekVIKgXQ

Job Postings:

Senior Client Engineer, Unannounced Project: https://careers.blizzard.com/en-us/openings/ou955fwx

Blizzard said:
Blizzard Entertainment is seeking an experienced Unity mobile client engineer to work on an unannounced MMO RTS project. The ideal applicant has an unwavering passion for mobile development and solving engineering problems unique to mobile app environments. If you thrive in an environment that values creativity, collaboration, and knowledge sharing, then drop us a line!

Requirements
· 5+ years of Game Development experience
· iOS and/or Android development experience
· Experience with Unity
· Strong understanding of 3D graphics and shaders

Lead Artist, Unannounced Project: https://careers.blizzard.com/en-us/openings/o2Z55fwV

Blizzard said:
Blizzard Entertainment is looking for an experienced Lead Artist to help us guide the art vision and development for a new game experience for mobile. Your goal is to meld great art with great gameplay by leading the art team, creating production artwork, and actively communicating and thriving on a small team.

You have a passion for Blizzard games and understand the unique approach to creating content for our game universes.

Avid player of mobile games

Unity and mobile development experience

Environment Artist, Unannounced Project: https://careers.blizzard.com/en-us/openings/opS25fw8

Blizzard said:
Blizzard Entertainment is seeking an exceptional Environment Artist to join us in creating a new gaming experience for mobile.

The environment artist is responsible for modeling and composing 3D game environments.

And for reference, the previous Warcraft job: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1380588

Blizzard said:
Blizzard Entertainment is looking for a talented FX artist to help us create exciting visual effects for an unannounced project for mobile.

Passion for creating imagery synonymous with the Warcraft IP

Edit:

I'll also put Art of Conquest in image form, since this will probably help people visualize something that isn't Clash of Clans:

xos3p.jpg

aoc2_w720_h405x3uyb.png

At this point in time, I trust Blizzard. I loved Starcraft 2, Diablo 3 and have been playing Overwatch every day since it released.

I'm excited to see what they can do next.

Mohonky

Hey Blizzard, how about you know, a Warcraft RTS game......before everything had to be a fucking online mmo / competitive esport

Oh and mobile? Yeh Warcraft is dead to me

Emitan

I'm not really a fan of mobile games or RTS but I feel like Blizzard could make it worth checking out. Especially once I replace my old phone with no battery life.

Syf

Banned
Very interesting. I love RTS, especially Blizzard RTS, but don't find mobile games very appealing generally. Curious to see how they approach it.

The salt will be real on here though if this is a new Warcraft RTS instead of the WC4 people want lol.

So they are going for the CoC money using the Warcraft name recognition?

Wow they can easily slap Warcraft assets on that and make bank.

Sounds like 5 years too late.

But by looking at that short Art of Conquest trailer, it seems different enough.

I think it'll be more like Heroes of Might and Magic but with real-time strategy battles.

Cryxok

Saw a lot of Art of Conquest ads but were CG-only so I had no interest. Actually seeing those screens and the trailer made me regret not checking it out sooner. Will wait for the possibility of a WC-branded now tho.

Blizzard still has the benefit of the doubt with me. I know a lot of people don't like the WoW and Diablo 3 takes (I still enjoy them) but I also still daily play Hearthstone and Heroes so yeah... Definitely in to try. Though a lot of people are going to be upset if this is the new Warcraft game... hopefully they won't try calling it Warcraft 4.

Probably too early to expect it at Blizzcon.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Despite having up to date mobile devices, I really have no interest in playing mobile games most of the time (with a few exceptions). Can't say I'm super excited for this.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I feel like mobile games just can't offer the deep experiences that an RTS would need to be afforded for it to be fun but hey it is Blizzard. Maybe it's a mobile counterpart to a mainline MMO title?

Brakke

Banned
Job listing superlatives are so silly. The environment artist must be exceptional, but the FX artist need only be talented. I guess they’ve already covered their exceptional FX artist quota.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
That looks like something that could potentially be not terrible...but I’m sure they’ll make it terrible with energy systems and boost gems and shit.

Thus far Blizzard has not released a mobile game with F2P mechanics like that. Not say that they couldn't start one, but if Hearthstone is anything to go by they at least attempt to be fair to new players. It's certainly light-years better than things like Clash of Clans.

ISee

I'm waiting and hoping for a proper Warcraft RTS game now for years.

Lootcraft 4: mobile boogaloo

not-like-this.gif

It's about in line with what I would expect from modern day Blizzard, they are not going to make any more traditional games like old school Blizzard used to.

Qvoth

hmm i thought it would be something like each player controls 1 army unit in a battle of multiple players or something grand like that, if in the end it's still 1v1 that's kinda lame

Giolon

Thus far Blizzard has not released a mobile game with F2P mechanics like that. Not say that they couldn't start one, but if Hearthstone is anything to go by they at least attempt to be fair to new players. It's certainly light-years better than things like Clash of Clans.

Hearthstone isn't specifically a mobile game. It's a digital CCG, a la MTG online, but you're right in that Blizzard treated players decently respectably with it.

Really weird they put the genre so front-and-center in the job description. IIRC for the FPS it was worked out via past experience sections, but I suppose once people started reporting on it anyway there's not a lot of point hiding it.

Feels more likely they rip off Clash of Clans and slap an MMO meta-game on it, but I like that Art of Conquest thing as well.

I guess this is what (ex-SC2 balance guy) David Kim is on? If he started doing design and then got it approved for real development (and it's a different game from the Warcraft one, like you suggest) it'd make sense they start hiring high-level engineers now.

You had me until iOS/Android. I'm not against mobile gaming, but I see how they work as far as content plan, MTs and progression go. Unless Blizzard reinvent the wheel and release a proper title I'm likely out.

OldMuffin

If it is an Warcraft rts, I'm expecting valve level backlash on the level of them revealing they were working on a new game and it turning out to be a card game.

If it is an Warcraft rts, I'm expecting valve level backlash on the level of them revealing they were working on a new game and it turning out to be a card game.

Warcraft 4!
*crowd goes wild*
Exclusively for mobiles
*people mumbling*
Free-to-play
*people discussing*
Inspired by Clash Of Clans
*people start to leave*
Featuring MOBA elements and cards
*guns out*

Bunga

I would lap up World of Warcraft-lite on my phone any day of the week dependent on the level of microtransactions.

Top Bottom