• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

yasu151

I made some anglefood cake this evening!

With 12 egg-whites in the anglefood, I made a vanilla pudding with the remaining 12 egg yolks. (I made a lot of pudding using 5 cups of milk.) After the pudding was finished, my wife insisted we add a chai flavor. We steeped 4 bags of chai tea in ~1/3rd a cup of boiling water for 4 minutes. This was added to the pudding before it chilled.

Finally, wiffers and I went to a yearly festival called Swedefest (I live in California) a few towns over. We got ~5.5lbs of blueberries for $17, which made it tastey. This was the only photo I got, as I was serving people and there wasn't much left for pics after.

20150517_185548rfrex.jpg

Anzac biscuit success. Made this batch without coconut (originally they were made without coconut apparently) and modified the sugar (recipe called for 2 cups sugar but I did 1 cup of regular and 1 cup of brown):

Zyzyxxz

Cooking is a pretty big passion of mine so I loved lurking in the last thread. Excited for this one! Most of these aren't recipes per se, but let me know if something looks good and I can type some stuff directions out. Here are some of my latest dinners.

Damn why you been lurking, seeing food likes yours inspires me to actually try to cook at home these days.

VanWinkle

Thanks, guys! It truly was amazing. I used this pizza dough recipe. It's my go-to. However, I made a 16oz (weight) dough ball for this pizza, and set the rest aside for something else. I found that it stretches to the perfect thinness in an 18" round pan like the one I have.

I'd like to figure out the measurements that would make the exact size/weight I need so I don't have to figure out what to do with the rest, but this works for now.

For anybody wondering, I put about 3 tablespoons of Canola oil in the pan, stretched that dough out until it fit the the whole surface (takes a little time). I didn't leave a cornicione (the elevated section of crust you leave around the outer edge), though you can stretch the dough out enough to let it slide up the lip of the pan a bit. I used maybe 8oz or so part-skim low-moisture mozzarella (just works better for this type of pizza than fresh mozz, and no need for whole milk when the pizza will be greasy enough as it is with the sausage), laid out all the way to the edge of the pan, and used breakfast pork sausage, which I prefer on pizza more than Italian sausage. Baked in a preheated 450 degree Fairenheit oven. Don't know how long it baked. I just waited until it looked like it did in the photo.

zbarron

awesome Pizza indeed! mind sharing your dough recipe?

the wife and I went full Toast Hawaii tonite!
Double Tilsit:

Uh-merican Cheez (the original)

SING ALONG!
http://youtu.be/DHHAR1S_eKA

Origins of this legendary dish can be found here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p= 4858805&postcount=338
Did you clap after eating it?

I guess Irongaf has been in a pizza mood lately. I made pizza dough yesterday and tried making pizza today. The dough was way too wet. No pictures. I think I may try that dough recipe next. My wife prefers thinner crusts anyway and that looks perfect.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Double Tilsit:

SING ALONG!

I don't know why, but the way it looks it's making me chuckle. It feels like the most juvenile recipe in the world, and I'm the kind of guy who throws diced hot dogs into a pot of ramen when he feels lazy.

On an unrelated note, Serious Eats' Kenji Lopez just wrote an absurdly detailed, massive 2700 words dissertation on how the make the fluffiest pancakes ever. And I loved it.

SPEA

Damn why you been lurking, seeing food likes yours inspires me to actually try to cook at home these days.

Haha. I suppose I'll post more then! My advice to you is to just pick something you want to cook, and just do it. 9/10 you'll surprise yourself how decent it turns out. You can literally learn how to cook anything online. Start with simple recipes and just go for it. Roast a chicken. Grill a steak. Roast some veggies. Etc. Good luck!

Fresh spinach. Apple. Mint. Lemon peach vinaigrette. Runny eggs. Healthy simple goodness.
LYvY8ww.jpg

Strip Steak. Port wine sauce. Brussel sprouts. Carrots. Beets. Bears. Battlestar Galactica.
uGAMiUC.jpg

hitsugi

On an unrelated note, Serious Eats' Kenji Lopez just wrote an absurdly detailed, massive 2700 words dissertation on how the make the fluffiest pancakes ever. And I loved it.

This is a bit strange.. the post was from today, and perhaps the recipe he links to was also updated to match, but the published date is from 2010 with mixed results in the comments section.

My pancake recipe is similar, but uses ricotta instead of sour cream. May have to give sour cream a go just for the sake of newness

I rubbed the roast with minced garlic, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, and olive oil. In a cast iron skillet I put it in 500F oven for 25 minutes and then shut it off. 2 hours later this is the result.

The recipe was from the New York Times.

Liljagare

Double Tilsit:

SING ALONG!

Actullay one of my favs is almost this, but I go, bread, butter, mustard, slice of ham, slice of pineapple, slice of cheese, and top with another piece of bread, off to the sandwich iron until cheese melted and bread crisp.

Sinful late night sammwich. Cant do it without the mustard though.. :)

VanWinkle

Holy crap at this pizza recipe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gKD9q0TJZE

http://www.brunoskitchen.net/blog/post/pepperoni-pizza

My mouth was watering watching that video.

Looks great. My pizzas that I make with the pizza stone and hand-stretched dough look somewhat similar. Maybe not quite as amazing, but they sure do taste good.

3RZAzr.jpg

I still can't get an extremely consistent browning, though. I'd like the crust to be a liiitle bit darker, maybe something slightly lighter than the crust in the video, but this level is still something I'm happy with.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Haha. I suppose I'll post more then! My advice to you is to just pick something you want to cook, and just do it. 9/10 you'll surprise yourself how decent it turns out. You can literally learn how to cook anything online. Start with simple recipes and just go for it. Roast a chicken. Grill a steak. Roast some veggies. Etc. Good luck!

Hehe, Zyzyxxz is a professional chef. So I guess it's more about not having the energy to cook at home. He's put up some amazing stuff here.

Thinking about trying Kenji's all-belly sous vide porchetta this weekend.

Deep-Fried, Sous-Vide, 36-Hour, All-Belly Porchetta (Or, The Most Freaking Delicious Thing To Ever Come Out Of My Kitchen)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This is a bit strange.. the post was from today, and perhaps the recipe he links to was also updated to match, but the published date is from 2010 with mixed results in the comments section.

My pancake recipe is similar, but uses ricotta instead of sour cream. May have to give sour cream a go just for the sake of newness

It references an article from five years ago, so they probably merged posts or something.

Holy crap at this pizza recipe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gKD9q0TJZE

http://www.brunoskitchen.net/blog/post/pepperoni-pizza

My mouth was watering watching that video.
Dat crust.

entremet

Looks great. My pizzas that I make with the pizza stone and hand-stretched dough look somewhat similar. Maybe not quite as amazing, but they sure do taste good.

3RZAzr.jpg

I still can't get an extremely consistent browning, though. I'd like the crust to be a liiitle bit darker, maybe something slightly lighter than the crust in the video, but this level is still something I'm happy with.

Looks good!

I miss pizza. I'm doing a low carb diet right now :/

SPEA

Tried another recipe for Tagliatelle al Ragù, coming close to my personal ideal for that dish :)
This time, I took the "official" recipe from the Italian Academy of Cuisine as a starting point (white wine, butter) :
very subtle yet meaty taste.
http://s73.photobucket.com/user/OnkelC/media/Bolognese/A593EBF5-2BFA-424B-AECA-5068A4506A2A.jpg.html
prep pics tomorrow if there is interest.

Source for recipe:
http://www.accademiaitalianacucina.it/it/content/ragù-alla-bolognese
Looks amazing!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Thank you! :)
Prep was easy, but takes some time. started around 6PM yesterday with the following ingredients:

500gr. mixed ground beef and pork
400ml strong beef and/or chicken stock
a glass of white wine
a small glass of milk
handful of carrots
two celery stalks
one onion
250 grams tomato purree
bit of triple concentrated tomato paste
copious amount of butter

pasta of choice (Tagliatelle for the real deal)

first, cube celery, carrot and onions really fine:

heat half of the copious amount of butter in a skillet, sautee the onion cubes at medium heat until they become a bit glassy, then add carrot and celery cubes, sautee for a few minutes while stirring occasionally:

set them aside for later use:

heat other half of copious amount of butter in the (still at medium heat!) skillet, add the meat:

assist cat while cleaning the butter wrapper:

Key is to leave the meat alone for most of the time, just break it up loosely in the skillet and let heat and time do the job. As you can see in the pictures, I didn't interfere much with the meat while browning:

When the juices of the meat have evaporated, re-add the veggie mix and stir fry for a minute or so:

Now, add the white wine and let it braise until 2/3 of it has evaporated, this will keep the fruitful wine note while removing its acidity:

then add the stock and tomato paste as well as the tomato puree:

Now let it stew for a couple of minutes at low to medium heat. Best leave it alone for that time and do the mise-en-place instead:

about 5 minutes before serving, stir in the milk, gives it a really nice texture:

DONE!
Serve over fresh pasta, grate some Parmesan over it and enjoy! :)

Bonus pic:

:)

Yes Boss!

Made some Baby Daikon Kimchi...with there green tassels intact. Fun...and neat looking final product. After a week and totally edible but they are still slow fermenting in the fridge for another few weeks.

2C55CDD1-7207-425D-B144-4DF27F977E3D_zpsfvygw54w.jpg

zbarron

Nice to see your cat OnkelC. When you were creating this thread I went to Threads Started By You and found the thread where you found her. Thanks for introducing my son to Simon's Cat. Now we watch it every day.

Not much new food to share. I've been cooking the same things for a bit and I don't like posting repeats unless they are noticeably different. I can give a garden update though:

18044141541_fee79fc95a_b.jpg

This is the same garden I posted before just with more time. I took this yesterday.

17857059129_8992dfd2c0_b.jpg

This is garden #2. It is mostly transplants but I have some radishes, carrots and beans that I threw in from seed. I was not nearly as gentle as I should have been with the romaine lettuce. I am not sure if they will survive.

17420717244_c631d2f30d_b.jpg

Garden #3 is entirely transplants. The two empty spaces you see called for onion and with how cheap they are I didn't think it was worth it.

I also made a bed out of an area next to my house that had weeds up to my naval.
17642771090_76d1352f00_b.jpg

This was when I was half way done weeding by hand. You can see my little grill.

17422779443_2199125b62_b.jpg

Finished. I weeded it all, tilled the dirt, added compost, installed the fence, put in mulch and put some spare seedlings in.

17855600300_1661398947_b.jpg

Close up.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Nice to see your cat OnkelC. When you were creating this thread I went to Threads Started By You and found the thread where you found her. Thanks for introducing my son to Simon's Cat. Now we watch it every day.

And props to both Kimchi dishes!

8oUIYkR.jpg

Finally used my new electric smoker to kick off the unofficial start of the summer season.

Made some super slowly cooked pulled pork using a mix of hickory and apple wood chips.

Also finished the mac and cheese in the smoker with some hickory chips.

With a side of steakhouse style tater salad.

theapg

Finally used my new electric smoker to kick off the unofficial start of the summer season.

Made some super slowly cooked pulled pork using a mix of hickory and apple wood chips.

Also finished the mac and cheese in the smoker with some hickory chips.

With a side of steakhouse style tater salad.

Man, that looks good. How was it? What smoker did you use?

Man, that looks good. How was it? What smoker did you use?

It's amazing.

I'll most likely have pulled pork, plus the mac and cheese for the next couple days.

I used the America's Test Kitchen mac and cheese recipe, but finished it in the smoker for 15 minutes with some hickory wood chips.

It's a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker. Bought it on clearance from QVC for 220 bucks.

I can't wait to try out a brisket in it, but odds are I'll be the only one eating it, my GF doesn't eat red meat very often outside of like ground beef in bolognese sauce.

zbarron

Welcome to Pizza Night.

Unrelated but this morning I made applesauce with 3 pounds of apples.
17952353939_a9f2270f54_b.jpg

17952404019_c3f4f27115_b.jpg

Cheese Pizza Test.

17518045513_0aca5b1864_b.jpg

Underside.

18139721421_4180f0fc6c_b.jpg

My wife's pizza before going in the oven. There is fresh oregano from the garden in the sauce and fresh basil on top.

18138616125_4723fec50d_b.jpg

Fully cooked. This was probably the best pizza I've made.

17518032233_6834305f75_b.jpg

My pizza. You can see the oregano in the corner.

I used the dough recipe VanWinkle posted converted to metric weight. Here it is if anyone wants.

227g Warm Water
5g Instant Yeast
21g Honey
11g Salt
27g Olive Oil
381g Bread Flour

It was cooked on a preheated cast iron griddle on the top rack of the oven with the broiler setting for maximum heat.

Nordicus

My sister and her boyfriend came to visit with some sushi, so as dessert I made strawberry and chocolate mousse with layers of mint oreos and a bit of chocolate pudding hidden in the middle of the strawberry mousse.

Would have layered it like an oreo too with the strawberry in the middle, but I put too much chocolate mousse at the bottom so I wasn't left with much room. Still, they loved it regardless :)

I ruined the first chocolate mousse by not gently folding together the whipped cream and the thick melted chocolate as you're supposed to. Rather, I whipped it as fast as I could, and that separated the the mass into brown thick whipped cream and very thin liquiddy chocolate. I've learned my lesson.

Blablurn

I made Korean Tteokbokki today. rice cakes in a spicy sauce

CGRIZheXIAER7zW.jpg:large

From the Düsseldorfer Gulaschkanone. Maybe Onkel C knows it

CGRI9maW0AAXeCe.jpg:large

Schweinebrötchen from Schweine Janes in Düsseldorf

CGRJMQUXIAAhyx2.jpg:large

bkw

Anyone have any recommendations between the Anova One and the new Precision? I'm looking to get into sous vide and both of them are on sale now for roughly the same price.

zbarron

Anyone have any recommendations between the Anova One and the new Precision? I'm looking to get into sous vide and both of them are on sale now for roughly the same price.

The Original is $30 cheaper than the New Model in case you missed one of those or for other's sakes. I own the new model in red and so do a few others in here. I really like it. The app is finally out on both IOS and Android. If you care they are coming out with a Wifi model in the near-ish future. The current one is Bluetooth so the app only works from ~30 feet away.

I'd go with the bluetooth model if you can swing the extra $30 but the original is respectable if money is tight. If starting dinner from work or anything like that is important to you, I'd wait.

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer any I can. I actually just vacuum sealed 5 pounds of chicken breast to sous vide. I used THIS. It works a lot better than I thought it would.

zbarron

I just discovered the meaning of life and thought I'd let you all know so everyone could stop worrying about it.

The meaning of life is to put chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream between two chocolate chip cookies and then putting the whole thing in your mouth.
17665353594_3c5f6c841a_c.jpg

Bon Appétit

Top Bottom