• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 7 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwalker84

We need to find someone in the same city as Circle T and send them to the store to play with the device for an hour or so and give us impressions.

UberTag

Damn XNA :/
Launching a mobile platform with gaming as a key lynchpin but making it cost-prohibitive to port said games from other leading mobile platforms was just plain idiocy. I mean, hell... they could tack on achievements, charge 4 times as much as iOS and Android, become the top-selling title in the marketplace and it's still not worth it financially. What's that tell other would-be developers?

Is there a site that lists cheap Windows Phones for sale? My sister is on ATT, her 3GS is dying, and she wants a Windows Phone, but she can't get an upgrade until July. Fully intend on convincing her to get a Lumia at that point, but until then, she can spend ~$100 on an interim phone, and I'd like it to be a WP. Any place, other than ebay? What were the best 1st gen WP's--Focus? Omnia?

hwalker84

Is there a site that lists cheap Windows Phones for sale? My sister is on ATT, her 3GS is dying, and she wants a Windows Phone, but she can't get an upgrade until July. Fully intend on convincing her to get a Lumia at that point, but until then, she can spend ~$100 on an interim phone, and I'd like it to be a WP. Any place, other than ebay? What were the best 1st gen WP's--Focus? Omnia?

Honestly check Craigslist. I got a LG Quantum around May last year for $100 and a Samsung Focus for $90 around June

You have to realise that Microsoft brought that on themselves. It has nothing to do with XNA or anything else... simply the fact that Microsoft has now shown themselves willing to moneyhat to get the biggest titles onto the platform, and Rovio want theirs before they port the game. It's like paying off terrorists, do it once and it's your own fault when things get out of hand.

That aside, has anyone with a Lumia 800 noticed battery problems after the latest update? I'm starting to get really, really pissed off with mine... like throw this in the bin and go out and buy a better phone pissed off. I took my phone off charge at about 18:00 yesterday, made a single phonecall with it (~20 mins) and now at 13:30 it's showing the critical battery warning. The day before it lasted less than 24 hours too.

I'm not running anything. It's just the phone sat there, with its display off. Surely this can't be right. I know smartphones are shit when it comes to battery life, but not even a day? :(

omnia and focus are basically the same phone in a different bezel, right? only for different markets.

I have an omnia and I am super happy, as an "in-between-phone" it will be more than enough. the amoled screen will be a huge upgrade coming from a 3gs.

Milchjon

You have to realise that Microsoft brought that on themselves. It has nothing to do with XNA or anything else... simply the fact that Microsoft has now shown themselves willing to moneyhat to get the biggest titles onto the platform, and Rovio want theirs before they port the game. It's like paying off terrorists, do it once and it's your own fault when things get out of hand.

That aside, has anyone with a Lumia 800 noticed battery problems after the latest update? I'm starting to get really, really pissed off with mine... like throw this in the bin and go out and buy a better phone pissed off. I took my phone off charge at about 18:00 yesterday, made a single phonecall with it (~20 mins) and now at 13:30 it's showing the critical battery warning. The day before it lasted less than 24 hours too.

I'm not running anything. It's just the phone sat there, with its display off. Surely this can't be right. I know smartphones are shit when it comes to battery life, but not even a day? :(

Mine has always been like that. I've accepted it :-(

MCD

Same thing happening with my Lumia 800. I thought latest update fixes this retarded bug but it looks like all these updates made it worse. :(

It only seems to be in the last few days since the update for me. It's so goddamn frustrating. I hardly use the thing as it is.

I should have just fucking left it alone. :(

Fjolle

It only seems to be in the last few days since the update for me. It's so goddamn frustrating. I hardly use the thing as it is.

I should have just fucking left it alone. :(

What versions are you guys running?

Mine is like that some times with firmware 11500. But most of the time it has great battery life.

Mine is 1600.2483.8106.11500

There seems to be a newer one being discussed on the Nokia forums. No idea what that's got though (it's not showing up for me). Someone suggested to delete the diagnostics app and I'm so desperate now that I figure I might as well try it, though after the pile of crap has finished charging as I want to see how fast it's discharging.

What the hell. I just turned it off and it turned itself back on again.

Edit - and again... can you not turn this shitty thing off whilst it's charging?

PG2G

I stopped expecting good battery life on a smartphone a long time ago. My Samsung Focus sees my charger at work at least once a day, it sees my car charger when I'm driving, and it sees my charger when I'm in bed.

And yes, the phones need to be on for charging.

I stopped expecting good battery life on a smartphone a long time ago. My Samsung Focus sees my charger at work at least once a day, it sees my car charger when I'm driving, and it sees my charger when I'm in bed.

And yes, the phones need to be on for charging.

To be fair, it seems like the Samsung Focus has one of the worst batteries out of most smartphones available. It's a big reason why I can't WAIT to upgrade.

PG2G

To be fair, it seems like the Samsung Focus has one of the worst batteries out of most smartphones available. It's a big reason why I can't WAIT to upgrade.

I'm due on 4/9, Lumia 900 day (maybe), it will be hard to hold back. I'll consider it though, I can run my Focus to like 20% by lunch time. I listen to a lot of music though. Maybe I just need to get a new phone and turn the Focus into a dedicated music player.

jagowar

They are really pulling an epic fail when it comes to gaming on wp7.... the promise is huge for a mobile xbox to be a selling point but they are doing absolutely nothing interesting on the gaming front.

Why they even put out that crappy toy soldiers game when they could have ported the real thing and given us a game worth buying and playing.... they have the gaming brands to do some really interesting things but are not using them at all (flight sim, age of empires, halo, gears of war, fable, forza, etc). Hopefully the xbox team will get behind windows 8 and start delivering on the promise of mobile xbox and mobile xbox live.

They get people to buy wp7/w8 as gaming devices and you can bet rovio would not dare ignore them like they are with wp7.5

Circle T

We need to find someone in the same city as Circle T and send them to the store to play with the device for an hour or so and give us impressions.

Well, I'm in Omaha, but this is a national thing. All managers and assistant managers have them now (or will soon), and are supposed to carry them for the next month or so. There is going to be a big WP7/Lumia push coming, so they want everyone up to speed on things.

When they get in later, I'll check on the VM thing.

*Edit*

So Nokia pays AT&T up to $25 million to make their employees use the Lumia 900? Sooo much money...

Yea, basically that. There will be 900s everywhere in the next few weeks or so.

giga

While that may be true, not having OpenGL does hurt a lot. Rovio can have one codebase in OpenGL and deliver it easily to iOS, Android, Mac, and Windows because it's cross platform.

PG2G

While that may be true, not having OpenGL does hurt a lot. Rovio can have one codebase in OpenGL and deliver it easily to iOS, Android, Mac, and Windows because it's cross platform.

Well, I'm pretty sure we won't be getting Open GL. Hopefully Windows Phone 8 brings Direct X and C++ support, which should be enough for significant code reuse.

I doubt a companies like Rovio and Zynga will ignore the Widnows Marketplace, so hopefully these things will be resolved soon? (fingers crossed)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Great, this is going to take forever.

Yes, I know I'm ranting. :(

What are the 3g bands on your lumia 800, and what color is it? Maybe I can take that "pile of shit" off your hands and you can get one of those smartphones that magically lasts for days. I'm sure we can work something out, just pm me.

That was quick.

Finnish gaming firm Rovio is working on getting its new Angry Birds Space game to Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 platform (WP7), its chief executive said on Friday, dismissing earlier media reports which said the top gaming firm was dumping the platform.

"We are working towards getting Angry Birds Space to WP7," Rovio Chief Executive Mikael Hed told Reuters, but said the launch date was not set.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/23/rovio-windows-idUSL6E8EN7NH20120323

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I bit the bullet and bought the HTC surround for $170. Been eager to give Windows Phone a real try, and I think this would be a great way. Once I'm able to renew my contract I can buy a proper Windows 8 phone. I'll have enough hands on experience with Windows Phone that I will know for sure if that's the next phone I want.

From what I've read, pretty sure I'll be a Windows guy from here on out. I used to be all about Android, but now that Windows is getting some good app support, I don't see a reason to switch back to Android.

By the way, I'm switching from a Blackberry Bold. I love the keyboard on it, but the OS just feels dated. Even though the HTC surround is an old phone, it'll still feel like a nice upgrade.
welcome to the club. party hats on the left, anti depressants to the right. after that keep walking strait on till you reach tango (if your legs fall off, thats normal)
nah. circle is fine. there is little we don't know. besides the white nokia launch date.
They are really pulling an epic fail when it comes to gaming on wp7.... the promise is huge for a mobile xbox to be a selling point but they are doing absolutely nothing interesting on the gaming front.

Why they even put out that crappy toy soldiers game when they could have ported the real thing and given us a game worth buying and playing.... they have the gaming brands to do some really interesting things but are not using them at all (flight sim, age of empires, halo, gears of war, fable, forza, etc). Hopefully the xbox team will get behind windows 8 and start delivering on the promise of mobile xbox and mobile xbox live.

They get people to buy wp7/w8 as gaming devices and you can bet rovio would not dare ignore them like they are with wp7.5
i doubt any team within Microsoft will cooperate with any other team within microsoft.

ElNino

I'm due on 4/9, Lumia 900 day (maybe), it will be hard to hold back. I'll consider it though, I can run my Focus to like 20% by lunch time. I listen to a lot of music though. Maybe I just need to get a new phone and turn the Focus into a dedicated music player.
That's why I love my Zune HD. And now that I picked up a Vita, I can make it through a day on my Focus with almost 50% battery remaining. I never had to charge middle of the day though unless I was using it way more than normal.

Troll

Banned
Okay guys, I put these together in just a couple mins, but I would be happy to refine them. I want this threads feedback on it if you dont mine.

This is for the Header

9oLtd.jpg

E14Vs.jpg

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm not talking about a smartphone that can magically last for days. Are you telling me that 24 hours on standby without even touching the phone is unreasonable?

That is not unreasonable, no. But "standby" isn't the same on a smartphone. It is pulling email, data for first and third party apps etc. even when it is not in your hands. You can try adjusting these things. Another thing you can look at is signal strength, since a low signal can cause the phone to strain looking for cell and data, causing massive battery life loss.

But I actually was serious about the phone if you dont want it, I've been lusting after an 800 for a while, but the prices are outrageous on eBay.

It's not doing anything as far as I can tell. There's nothing open, I even tried uninstalling some of the (very few) apps I have on there.

Signal is 4/5 so I wouldn't have thought it was too bad. Tempted to disable 3G as I'm guessing that would probably help.

As for selling it, no, I just want it to work like it should.

Circle T

Confirmed: Visual Voicemail is working! After going in and setting up the phone, and all the default VM stuff, there is a new "Voicemail" tab in the phone showing voicemails. You can then tap any call in the list to listen to them.

Yesterday no one went through the VM setup yet, so it wasn't active, thus my confusion. But yea, fully working as long as you have the feature on your plan.

tci

I read about a new update soon that should fix that. Do not have the source at hand though.

hwalker84

Confirmed: Visual Voicemail is working! After going in and setting up the phone, and all the default VM stuff, there is a new "Voicemail" tab in the phone showing voicemails. You can then tap any call in the list to listen to them.

Yesterday no one went through the VM setup yet, so it wasn't active, thus my confusion. But yea, fully working as long as you have the feature on your plan.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now the big question is what happens to a non Lumia 900 that gets VVM enabled??? If this is a possibility I'm calling my corporate rep now.

Edit: Seems like you have to be on 8107 or higher. Damn you AT&T.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It's not doing anything as far as I can tell. There's nothing open, I even tried uninstalling some of the (very few) apps I have on there.

Signal is 4/5 so I wouldn't have thought it was too bad. Tempted to disable 3G as I'm guessing that would probably help.

As for selling it, no, I just want it to work like it should.

So you don't have email on it fetching data? No live tiles? Either way, with your signal strength, it definitely shouldn't be giving you such crappy battery life.

Circle T

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now the big question is what happens to a non Lumia 900 that gets VVM enabled??? If this is a possibility I'm calling my corporate rep now.

Edit: Seems like you have to be on 8107 or higher. Damn you AT&T.

Yea sorry, WP as a whole is pretty foreign to me, so I don't know the answer to that one.

Also, I've been digging, and I can't seem to get any definite confirmation on launch colors. It seems Black and Cyan are certain, but anytime White is mentioned, it isn't with regards to launch stuff. I'll keep looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom