• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2017 Offseason: We're Not a Football School Anyway

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Finally, the long National nightmare that is college football season has ended, and we can turn our attention to the sports that REALLY matter -

• Baseball

ZRoKNeW.jpg

• Track and Field

h2csRyG.png

• Basketball that one time

7GEgOip.png

• Soccer recruiting

FBb7uc0.png

• Chess

KqtTbc6.png

• Meat Judging

hCJaAQe.png

These are the pillars that truly successful universities build their athletic legacies on while the rest of you are goofing around with your football wins and piles of money and 5-star recruits. I will enjoy watching you plebes work the next 9 months to prepare for next season, striving for the ultimate honor of having our AD lower himself to select your team for this silly little playoff.

Slo

Texas Tech has carved out it's own niche somewhere in the margins between academic excellence and athletic excellence. The Uncanny Meat Judging Valley.

At last, we can talk about rugby!

Yeah y'alls club Rugby team wins a lot of titles. At UT, our two winningest clubs are Rock Climbing and Quidditch.

I am now tempted to see what the Texas A&M Meat Judging award table would look like.

We've got Brisket Camp after all.

hmm maybe aggy should consider removing their "mechanical" courses and add barbecue to their core curriculum instead. Texas A&BBQ University sounds good tbh

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Never realized Tua was as "short" as he is. Just under 6'1" as a QB.

UGA early enrollee Jake Fromm got his from Scout last week. 247 still has him as a high 4. Can't wait for him to not play for 2 more years.

Hearing some slight melt because 247 put Tua at 5 star over Fromm.

Chris R

Finally, my chance to shine! Well, our Div II women's volleyball team almost won the national championship this year!

I don't want to talk about the men's hockey team... they lost to PedoSt and a team from Alabama this year..................................

Slo

I think the 247 database is corrupted. It's not showing any 4 or 5 star recruits committed to either Minney or UIUC.

This thread is already corrupt.

How could you let a fan of a member of the Quadraxis of Evil (Alabama, Michigan, Penn State & Texas Tech) create the thread?

andycapps

Northern Michigan OL , Anthony Herbert, passed away following a workout with his teammates.

RIP. I'd be curious how many of these deaths take place under the watch of a strength and conditioning coach without the proper certifications and/or without proper oversight by team doctors.

El_Chino

Northern Michigan OL , Anthony Herbert, passed away following a workout with his teammates.

RIP. I'd be curious how many of these deaths take place under the watch of a strength and conditioning coach without the proper certifications and/or without proper oversight by team doctors.
I wonder if it's the same condition some basketball players have suffered.

RIP :/

cdyhybrid

Sad. The spotlight on Oregon is gonna be even brighter now.

So the rumors are now being confirmed that Jake has had surgery on his throwing shoulder. Apparently UW kept it under wraps the last month of the season.

andycapps

Sad. The spotlight on Oregon is gonna be even brighter now.

So the rumors are now being confirmed that Jake has had surgery on his throwing shoulder. Apparently UW kept it under wraps the last month of the season.

Since the season ended? What was it, rotator cuff?

andycapps

They hid the injury. Surgery was after the season.

The rumor on $9.95 was a labrum injury, the newspaper's sources didn't say exactly what it was. Six week recovery apparently, so he should be alright for spring.

Apparently hurt it in the ASU game, which was the week after USC.

Edit: Google says torn labrum is 4-6 weeks.

Edit2: Nike U's S&C coach going to be suspended
Oh labrum, yeah that makes more sense.

Saw that about Nike U.

I also saw that previous Baylor assistant, Coach Horny, was picked up by Texas and questioned by their AD over his statements defending Briles.

“Like others, I question coach Horny supporting some commentary on social media,” Perrin said. “After further discussion with coach Horny, he understands such actions will not be tolerated at Texas.”

Nothing to see here.

Also saw that Herman has contacted the parents of Texas players telling them to not say anything negative to reporters.

Cheeto, any news on ucla' s next OC?

Nothing other than they hired him and fired the OL coach, so I'd expect that it might take them some time to put things together next season.

http://www.bruinsnation.com/ucla_br...-on-new-ucla-offensive-coordinator-jedd-fisch

Rosen is a pretty massive upgrade for Fisch over Wilton Speight so who knows. AFAIK UCLA only loses one starter from the line (I don't think they had any early entrants), so hopefully having 4 returning starters is enough to keep Rosen protected next season.

They don't really have an easy OOC schedule next season: Cinci, at Oklahoma, Fresno State.

Kevtones

Interesting aspect of the conditioning story is that last season guys apparently were avoiding workouts and doing all sorts of lazy shit. There was a big story in the Oregonian. In no way does it mean they should be worked to hospitalization but it's not surprising. Helfrich navigated a loose ship.

Also, the workouts were apparently overblown according to every other player. The big mistake was doing it too soon after a layoff. Other funny part is that the former S&C coach who was laid off was hired for a month.

cdyhybrid

Interesting aspect of the conditioning story is that last season guys apparently were avoiding workouts and doing all sorts of lazy shit. There was a big story in the Oregonian. In no way does it mean they should be worked to hospitalization but it's not surprising. Helfrich navigated a loose ship.

Also, the workouts were apparently overblown according to every other player. The big mistake was doing it too soon after a layoff. Other funny part is that the former S&C coach who was laid off was hired for a month.
There's nothing out of the ordinary with hard workouts to weed guys out, but it's still irresponsible to throw them into the deep end right off the bat. Gotta work them up to it so their bodies can handle it.

Kevtones

There's nothing out of the ordinary with hard workouts to weed guys out, but it's still irresponsible to throw them into the deep end right off the bat. Gotta work them up to it so their bodies can handle it.

Absolutely. It's not a good look. It sends the right message in a weird way but that message obviously should've been communicated without risking people's lives.

Taggart did right to jump in front and suspend the guy.

andycapps

Even better is that this essentially happened on the first day of him doing his job since they weren't in a bowl game and winter workouts just started.

Yeah I think the issue was trying to push players that were out of shape too far, too soon. Essentially, Crossfit problems.

cdyhybrid

Thoughts on UW's schedule:

Fri., Sept. 1: Washington at Rutgers - Rutgers still in rebuilding mode, should be a win.
Sat., Sept. 9: Montana at Washington - Win.
Sat., Sept. 16: Fresno State at Washington - Tedford's return
win
Sat., Sept. 23: Washington at Colorado - Will be interesting. Montez is a better passer than Liufau so their offense will be more explosive, but they lost a looooooooot of seniors after this season. Will be an interesting one, but UW should win.
Sat., Sept. 30: Washington at Oregon State - Should be a win.
Sat., Oct. 7: California at Washington - Should be a win. New coach, new systems, etc.
Sat., Oct. 14: Washington at Arizona State - Should be a win, but weird stuff happens in AZ sometimes.
Sat., Oct. 21: BYE
Sat., Oct. 28: UCLA at Washington - Should be a win, but this one will probably be interesting like Colorado. Depends on which UCLA shows up - the one with the star QB and loads of talent or the dumpster fire from this past season?
Sat., Nov. 4: Oregon at Washington - Should be win. That defense and QB are still very young, plus a new coach/system.
Fri., Nov. 10: Washington at Stanford - Should be a win. Stanford will be their typical solid selves, but QB is a huge question mark for them and they won't have Solomon Thomas or McCaffrey anymore.
Sat., Nov. 18: Utah at Washington - Tough game, but UW should win since it's at home.
Sat., Nov. 25: Washington State at Washington - UW should win this one since Petersen has dominated Leech in this series, but weird stuff can happen in rivalry games.

In short, I wouldn't be surprised if UW is favored in every game this season. Missing USC is huge, although we'd probably have to end up playing them in the Pac-12 CCG with USC coming off a bye week.

Kevtones

Even better is that this essentially happened on the first day of him doing his job since they weren't in a bowl game and winter workouts just started.

Yeah I think the issue was trying to push players that were out of shape too far, too soon. Essentially, Crossfit problems.

Yeah, it was one of hell of a first day fuck up. The fact Oregon's former S&C coach was basically on call tells you how quick it was. I think Taggart keeps him unless there's revolt or something else happens. Most the players responded favorably to the workouts on SM.

Schedule Analysis:

Southern Utah - Win. Taggart era gets off to an easy breeze start
Nebraska - Win. Revenge game and a blow out. Oregon should've taken it to Nebraska last year and they'll be breaking in a new QB
@ Wyoming - Win. If their QB bolts it'll be easier but Wyoming is good and this is a road game. Oregon squeaks it out.
@ ASU - Loss. ASU hasn't beaten Oregon since 2004 and they're due. They were super injured last year and I think they take it to the Ducks.
Cal - Win. Rebuilding Cal with a lot of holes.
WSU - Win. Oregon surprises WSU and deleeches themselves.
@Stanford - Loss. Despite the new faces, Stanford wears Oregon down.
@UCLA - Win. Jim Mora bolts for the NFL at halftime.
Utah - Win. Oregon has Utah's number this year.
@ Washington - Win. Surprise upset ruins the Husky season as they're depleted secondary catches up to them ;)
Arizona - Win. Bye RichRod.
Oregon State - Win. A blowout. An angry blowout.

10-2, finish 3rd to UW in the P12 North. Stanford finishes T1 but lost to UW.

#delusionalfan

cdyhybrid

Yeah, it was one of hell of a first day fuck up. The fact Oregon's former S&C coach was basically on call tells you how quick it was. I think Taggart keeps him unless there's revolt or something else happens. Most the players responded favorably to the workouts on SM.

Schedule Analysis:

Southern Utah - Win. Taggart era gets off to an easy breeze start
Nebraska - Win. Revenge game and a blow out. Oregon should've taken it to Nebraska last year and they'll be breaking in a new QB
@ Wyoming - Win. If their QB bolts it'll be easier but Wyoming is good and this is a road game. Oregon squeaks it out.
@ ASU - Loss. ASU hasn't beaten Oregon since 2004 and they're due. They were super injured last year and I think they take it to the Ducks.
Cal - Win. Rebuilding Cal with a lot of holes.
WSU - Win. Oregon surprises WSU and deleeches themselves.
@Stanford - Loss. Despite the new faces, Stanford wears Oregon down.
@UCLA - Win. Jim Mora bolts for the NFL at halftime.
Utah - Win. Oregon has Utah's number this year.
@ Washington - Win. Surprise upset ruins the Husky season as they're depleted secondary catches up to them ;)
Arizona - Win. Bye RichRod.
Oregon State - Win. A blowout. An angry blowout.

10-2, finish 3rd to UW in the P12 North. Stanford finishes T1 but lost to UW.

#delusionalfan

Secondary isn't depleted at all. They're just young. They won't be young by that game, though.

Kevtones

Secondary isn't depleted at all. They're just young. They won't be young by that game, though.

What's the story on Browning's shoulder? I know you guys had a great freshman (Rapp was it?) out there. Still, it hurts losing 3 core and great players like that. The schedule lines up pretty well for y'all to break people in. I think your offense improves despite the Loss of Ross though.

cdyhybrid

What's the story on Browning's shoulder? I know you guys had a great freshman (Rapp was it?) out there. Still, it hurts losing 3 core and great players like that. The schedule lines up pretty well for y'all to break people in. I think your offense improves despite the Loss of Ross though.

Labrum was the rumor. Six weeks. Should be fine for spring but there's no need to rush him back, not like he's going to lose his job.

They were redshirting some dudes in the secondary that would have played this year otherwise.

Agreed on the offense. Pettis comes back, we're adding a stud RB to the Gaskin/Coleman combo, Jake is a junior, we'll finally have a big receiver in frosh Ty Jones.

Top Bottom