• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THUMPER |OT| THE BEETLE'S ROCK BAND - HIGHWAY TO HELL!

Yes but after playing Level 9 myself, there is absolutely no way a human being can S rank that.

People push rhythm games to crazy limits. I'm at 285bpm (19 arrows a second) on Stepmania after playing for more or less a decade and there are quite a few people who are quicker, and it's considered one of the easier rhythm games.

Not saying I'll be good at this, I'll probably be shit to be honest. But I reckon there'll be plenty who'll plat it, whatever it takes. I just want to get my teeth stuck into it now, but I've got to wait for Thursday for it to release in Europe.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I think there's a demo on the PSVR demo disc, maybe that's what he's referring to.

Makes sense. Thanks!
I just don't wanna buy it only to think "damn I wish I had VR" all the time if VR is that much important to the intended experience the devs crafted

CugSaPaUsAAjCUP.jpg:large

6th Place. I fucked up in 2-14 and 2-Ω, both on Turns. Getting Perfect turns is Tricky as hell!

God-DAMN this game is a Fucking TRIP.

Also, I know the game's relatively simple geometrically, but I still want to give total Kudos for being the only game i've been able to run at 60fps Vsync at 4K DSR to 1080P with 4x MSAA (which essentially means i'm running this at what, 8K? 16K?)

It's like riding in a rollercoaster made out of Richard Dean Album Covers.

6th Place. I fucked up in 2-14 and 2-Ω, both on Turns. Getting Perfect turns is Tricky as hell!

God-DAMN this game is a Fucking TRIP.

Also, I know the game's relatively simple geometrically, but I still want to give total Kudos for being the only game i've been able to run at 60fps Vsync at 4K DSR to 1080P with 4x MSAA (which essentially means i'm running this at what, 8K? 16K?)

It's like riding in a rollercoaster made out of Richard Dean Album Covers.

Yeah image quality really impresses, and its light on specs.

If my crap PC can run this @4K, I'm sure the Vanilla PS4 could run this @4K but they're locking it behind PS4 Pro.

Does this game have an easy mode? I fear it's going to be too hard and I won't get much out of it.

Kind of like Devil Daggers.

You're going to get an amazing audiovisual experience out of it, no matter how far you get to. Devil Daggers is kind of the same thing for a long while, at least visually.

This game rules! Though I still don't fully understand the flying bits. I get jumping over the spikes but those rail things....are you supposed to hold X to stay in the air or something?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Dang this game is really fun. On 2-12. My thumbs hurt though!

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
on level 5 now and the game really starts to kick my arse... jeeezus

it really feels like a decent to hell :p

Where-were-going-ousiyw_zps685f33ac.jpg

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Is it me or is the volume of this game really low? I have to really turn up the volume with this one.

I had the same problem (ps4). Max volume in headphones felt kinda low so I switched it to surround sound and had to turn it up to levels I never have before.

Tiefooz

Level 6 has me scratching my head -- has anybody figured out flying around corners yet?

Figured it out, just in case anybody else is perplexed: hitting a perfect turn while flying extends the duration of the flight.

Nnnnngh this game is so great

jett

D-Member
I had the same problem (ps4). Max volume in headphones felt kinda low so I switched it to surround sound and had to turn it up to levels I never have before.

It must be a mistake. Hopefully it gets patched. I also wish they would include a headphone-specific soundmix.

A few random PROTIPS:

• If you time the button at the right time when a boss gets hit, you'll get a health boost in return.
  • Try to practice "perfect turning", which means turning at the last possible moment. You'll hear a ding when you do it correctly. You'll get more points. It's OK to hold the button in anticipation, it's only the direction that has to be timed correctly.
  • You don't need to hold up when flying, but you do need to hold the button.
  • If you do a perfect turn while flying, you will stay airborne. This is important for increasing/continuing your combo in later levels.
  • Try to do the jump and smash move between pads. Points, mang, POINTS.
One thing that has me stumped is that there's one level that clearly wants me to stay airborne for an indefinite amount of time in straights, but I have no idea how to do it consistently.

epmode

Is it me or is the volume of this game really low? I have to really turn up the volume with this one.

Yeah, it's definitely lower than it should be on PC. Even when I set the in-game volume to 120%.

edit: Looks like the game was just hotfixed on PC. You can take it to 200% now.

NFreak

Just finished Level 7. This game is seriously fantastic. I do wish the sound queues were louder though. It is extremely hard to hear them coming up when so much else is going on at the same time in the audio department. At least maybe having the option to turn it up or down would be cool.

epmode

BTW, the hypershot you get by slamming down on the appropriate marker during boss fights is kind of amazing. That pause is perfect.

jon_dojah

Banned
I didn't play many games this year in 2D since I've been mostly VR gaming but this is my GOTY so far. I cannot wait for Vive/Rift support.

Joeku

Joeku

That first one looks really hard to read. Seem more like a showcase of the visual and general concept than something playable

Oh I'm not saying it'd be any better to play. I just want an Enter the Void video game and that was closer than the final game is.

Still fucking loving it, though.

jett

D-Member
Ok, so this is like Wipeout's zone mode with simpler controls to match to a beat?

I'd say Wipeout's zone mode is the simpler game here heh but it's not a bad analogy.

It seems simple at first, but Thumper gets progressively more complex mechanics as you advance. The beat is there to assist you rather than being something you have to match.

bounchfx

bought it based on the reviews. so far it's incredible, but I'm only like 5 minutes in (1-8) haha. Just had a question - does holding A after doing stuff actually do anything? it leaves a trail behind you that goes away if you let go, but resumes if you hold a again after, but it doesnt seem to do anything else that I know of. Is there a reason to keep it held?

also, it looks like for turns you can hold either A OR direction, before the turn, as long as you sync them during the turn.

edit: OK I see the holds now... and also I guess with the turns pausing for a second that it doesnt mean I'm getting a boost... it means I'm taking damage....... its not very obvious, I thought it meant I was doing it on time, Lol

edit 2: is there any reason to NOT be holding A? . Fuck I cant wait to try this in VR

Stoze

bought it based on the reviews. so far it's incredible, but I'm only like 5 minutes in (1-8) haha. Just had a question - does holding A after doing stuff actually do anything? it leaves a trail behind you that goes away if you let go, but resumes if you hold a again after, but it doesnt seem to do anything else that I know of. Is there a reason to keep it held?

also, it looks like for turns you can hold either A OR direction, before the turn, as long as you sync them during the turn.

edit: OK I see the holds now... and also I guess with the turns pausing for a second that it doesnt mean I'm getting a boost... it means I'm taking damage....... its not very obvious, I thought it meant I was doing it on time, Lol

edit 2: is there any reason to NOT be holding A? . Fuck I cant wait to try this in VR

You have to let off A to hit notes (blue or green squares), since those require a single timed button press to nail correctly.

Part of the game is figuring out the specifics of the mechanics as you go. It's very obvious when you take damage as well, you just need to keep playing and you'll figure things out.

bounchfx

ok cool, thats exactly what I expected then. no real reson to let go of A otherwise Lol. the slow-turn thing was definitely not obvious for taking damage but the rest has been. It's a trip!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I've never heard of this game before this thread, but after reading the impressions I took a chance and bought it. My first impression is that this game is legit.

I'm playing it on a PlayStation 4, so I can only imagine how much more impactful it would be in VR. It packs the perfect level of challenge, and it ramps up on a fair curve.

Judging by how much time I spent to complete the first two levels, and knowing I have at least seven more to go, I think it's worth the full asking price.

EVO

Holy shit, I just played through the first 3 levels and I don't think a game has hit me that hard since Rez.

bounchfx

just beat the second level. I think my only complaint for this game is the music. It's kind of bland. Rez had some amazing stuff that kept me coming back. I'm not sure I feel any desire to play the first two levels over. there's a bunch more left though, I hope the music is somewhat different for each. the level 2 boss was also like 10x easier than the half-way boss. And it was the same as the boss from level 1. :(

jett

D-Member
xGMT2SX.png

It feels AWESOME to go back to an earlier level and greatly improve upon your previous score with all of your newly acquired Thumper knowledge (and actually feels moderately pleasant compared to the later levels :p). This score was good for 40th place. I was pounding and perfect turning like a goddamn madman. This is definitely one of those games were you quickly get better the more you play. I don't know how some people are getting over half a million points though. Are they just not dying during the entire run? How can someone be so good already? Or are they CHEATING!?

just beat the second level. I think my only complaint for this game is the music. It's kind of bland. Rez had some amazing stuff that kept me coming back. I'm not sure I feel any desire to play the first two levels over. there's a bunch more left though, I hope the music is somewhat different for each. the level 2 boss was also like 10x easier than the half-way boss. And it was the same as the boss from level 1. :(

The music is 100% about the beat and rhythm, no distractions there. I'm not sure if it works standalone, I didn't get the soundtrack, but it works just great with raw intensity that the game wants to get across.

But yeah the only visual gripe I have with the game (aside from the damage effects) is that the bosses all look the same. I guess it's supposed to be the same dude maybe, but some more variety there would've been cool.

Man, this game is so insanely relaxing. Just chill on a sofá, listen to the music, try to keep up, die 10x, win, repeat.

Rythmn heaven made me foam at the mouth with rage, but thumper? Zen bliss.

NFreak

Man, this game is so insanely relaxing. Just chill on a sofá, listen to the music, try to keep up, die 10x, win, repeat.

Rythmn heaven made me foam at the mouth with rage, but thumper? Zen bliss.

This couldn't be further from the truth for me haha. Thumper makes me physically exhausted when I play it.

Top Bottom