• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: The Nintendo Switch is powered by an Nvidia Tegra X1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FZZ

Banned

After subsequent processing of the GPU from the Nintendo Switch, we have determined that the processor is the Nvidia Tegra T210. The T210 CPU features 4 Cortex A57 and 4 Cortex A53 processor cores and the GPU is a GM20B Maxell core.

Nvidia-T210.jpg

Stock X1, no customization that's what was just confirmed

Jmon with me

Edit:

Helpful gif comparing stock X1 and the die shot above

I made a .GIF comparing the Switch and the X1:

ogCFzAz.gif

Larger version:

http://i.imgur.com/pe8SQSm.gif

JMON

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
But we kinda knew this from the start cause of DF...i guess parker was only going to be used in cars and Nintendo wanted it out this year

DNAbro

Maybe I was missing out on all the hot "is Switch powerful or not discussions" but wasn't this known forever ago?

Oregano

So there's literally no customization despite the fact they described it as custom?

That seems odd considering they were fine saying the 3DS was powered by a Pica200 despite the fact it was customised.

So no "customizations"

Seems like Nvidia had so much Tegras that they went to Nintendo and said "Hey Nintendo we have this very powerful GPU for your new device". Nintendo just agreed. Nvidia laughing.

Cuburt

Seemed like the most likely outcome, but no customization?

Huh.

Just a minute, how does this confirm no customization? Because now they know it's similar to an existing processor or because there is no physical difference?

m051293

I believe this is the first instance of confirmation of an X1 in a retail version. Prior to this was either well-reasoned speculation or not confirmed retail hardware.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Well, if Nintendo is using the stock chip, then at least Nvidia has already laid out to some degree what the future revisions will offer.

Thankfully we don't need to hear about last minute secret Foxconn chips. Even after all hints from way early on that Nintendo scored a deal with Nvidia to use many leftover chips for a great deal.

We didn't know it was a stock TX1. We just knew clock speeds.

Pretty crazy after all the speculation the dev kits were literally the exact hardware.

Solo Act

So... I know nothing about this and am just trying to ask a question...

If Nintendo were to release a "Switch Pro" in 3 or 4 years and use the X2 (or X3?), would that be easy to do and enable 100% backwards compatibility without much issue? Like, Is the X2 just a better version of the X1, but all of the software could run on both?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
People were expecting various degrees of secret sauce. It's a surprise that it's an entirely stock chip.

Yup. Especially the bolded.

Now that I think about it, it may be customized to have better battery life? Low power output?

Would fit Nintendo's style.

Chronos24

Someone like Marcan would need to actually "hack" in to it to get the actual clocks and all that. This pic or Tegra X1 thing really isnt that descriptive.

Jonnax

I remember an article about Nvidia fabricating a lot of X1s that they couldn't subsequently sell.

Maybe it got Nintendo a good deal

Edit: I think that may have been the previous Tegra after doing some googling. Nevermind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom