• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP RPGs for Vita, what to get?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I wish sony was like valve sometimes. Be such a good time to have sales on psp games that work on vita :/

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Did anyone try The 3rd Birthday on Vita? Wanna know how it plays and looks. Noticed that the quality isn't the best on some PSP games.

If I've already played Persona 4, is Persona 3 gonna feel like I'm going back, ie worse controls more archaic gameplay?

No, they retrofitted all of P4s new features back into P3P. The map is entirely 2D and story bits are played out visual novel style, but the game is still fantastic.

mandiller

Audίoboxer;35418464 said:
Thanks again, picking up Ys Seven, either FF Tactics or Tactics Ogre (never played either*), and FFIV Complete. I want Person 3, but I'll wait for a sale.

*Tactical RPGs are not my bread and butter, have always avoided them, but where better to start with one of these titles... Now, WHICH ONE?

For tactical RPGs my vote goes to Tactics Ogre. It is an excellent game and remake of the PS1 title. Really worth it.

Verelios

Man, I just can't imagine how much better Jeanne D' Arc will look on the Vita. It was already mindblowing for an SRPG, but damn, if it gets cleaned up.

burgerdog

What's the deal with tits? It's always suggested, but never why. What's good about it? Is it the story, combat, or? Explain!

Kazerei

Banned
Audίoboxer;35418464 said:
Thanks again, picking up Ys Seven, either FF Tactics or Tactics Ogre (never played either*), and FFIV Complete. I want Person 3, but I'll wait for a sale.

*Tactical RPGs are not my bread and butter, have always avoided them, but where better to start with one of these titles... Now, WHICH ONE?

Definitely Tactics Ogre. Gameplay system is an improvement over FFT.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
How has bc been on the vita? pretty much my only reason to buy one now. Nice upgrade from a Go?

krYlon

What's the deal with tits? It's always suggested, but never why. What's good about it? Is it the story, combat, or? Explain!

Both story and battle system are excellent, but most praise goes to its cast of characters and fleshed out world.

It's all good stuff, but it's the story and characterization. All five games, when taken together, are just fantastic.

I'd recommend anything Falcom on the PSN. For sure.

Audioboxer

I'm getting Tactics Ogre over FF Tactics, now 1 more, as prices were higher than I thought.

Choice between FF4 Complete and Ys Seven (it seems more up my street than the other Ys game).

Persona/Tits are both too expensive right now.

C-Jo

I really do wish there was a way to get my PSP library on my Vita without paying out the ass. My backlog is embarrassingly immense, and I'd love to fill up a 32GB card with awesomeness. It just seems goofy to be playing my PSP with my Vita sitting in the charger.

StuBurns

Banned
Audίoboxer;35420072 said:
I'm getting Tactics Ogre over FF Tactics, now 1 more, as prices were higher than I thought.

Choice between FF4 Complete and Ys Seven (it seems more up my street than the other Ys game).

Persona/Tits are both too expensive right now.
I've not played Ys 7, but I'd say go for that. FF4 is excellent, but the 'complete' parts are not. And there is an Ys 4 coming to PSV, so you might want to try the series in anticipation for that.

Audioboxer

I've not played Ys 7, but I'd say go for that. FF4 is excellent, but the 'complete' parts are not. And there is an Ys 4 coming to PSV, so you might want to try the series in anticipation for that.

Thanks :) I'll pickup FF4 later, it's fairly expensive at £19.99. Ogre Tactics is £14.99.

I noticed Disgaea is £9.99, never played this series either and heard that the first game is better than the second (both are on PSN). Thoughts? It might steal the place of Ys if recommended and I'll get Tactical RPG'd out my nut!

Kazerei

Banned
Audίoboxer;35420450 said:
Thanks :) I'll pickup FF4 later, it's fairly expensive at £19.99. Ogre Tactics is £14.99.

I noticed Disgaea is £9.99, never played this series either and heard that the first game is better than the second (both are on PSN). Thoughts? It might steal the place of Ys if recommended and I'll get Tactical RPG'd out my nut!

In terms of story/characters, Disgaea 1 >>> Disgaea 2. But in terms of gameplay, Disgaea 2 > Disgaea 1.

Disgaea 3 will be released for Vita next month though. So you might consider that.

Jigsaw

Banned
Star Ocean: First Departure(if you haven't played it on the psx)
Star Ocean: Second Evolution(if you haven't played it on the psx)

star ocean 1 never was on ps1,only on snes and never left japan,first departure was a full-fledged remake

both are pretty good though,but are they on psn?

What licensing crap? There's no Disney characters in Crisis Core. Its pure SE game.

Honestly, it could be anything. Music, voice work, some piece of art... If any content is in the game and they don't have contractual rights for a digital release it would require renegotiation.

StuBurns

Banned
Someone said on GAF a week or so ago Crisis Core might not be there because the end credits song. It's not on the OST apparently, so there could be a licensing issue.

Jigsaw

Banned
Someone said on GAF a week or so ago Crisis Core might not be there because the end credits song. It's not on the OST apparently, so there could be a licensing issue.

couldn't they just change the music?like when capcom censored the japanese ps1 version of biohazard 3 for psn

I really want to get it...but fuck, I really hate the damage numbers in all the recent portable FF entries. It's like they pop up at 5fps. It annoys me.

Persona 3 Portable gets my vote.

Disgaea 2 if you want a really good grind-a-thon.

I want to be your friend. Both are great games and worth every penny.

Grimmy

Banned
Audίoboxer;35420450 said:

No. Get Ys: The Oath in Felghana or Ys 7. You won't regret it.

StuBurns

Banned
couldn't they just change the music?like when capcom censored the japanese ps1 version of biohazard 3 for psn
I'm not sure. The different silos of SCE still operate independently, with different first party rules, and the ratings boards of the countries do too, it's possible CC would need to be both rerated and resubmitted for Sony QA in the West to be released. But that's pure speculation.

Whatever the reason, Crisis Core, and more importantly Kingdom Hearts need to be on PSN at some point, especially with the PSV here now.

There are so many great games, but if I were to suggest just one it would be...

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

It's incredible.

kuroshiki

WTF how come no one here mentions godeater burst?

It's mon hun clone with some awesome changes, and music is done by go shiina.

kuroshiki

oh and I wouldn't recommend crimson gem saga to anyone. I didn't really enjoy that game. I don't think it got good reviews either.

If you have time. Read my poorly articulated reasoning on why TiTs is the best traditional jrpg of this gen.

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/ch...ssic-jrpg-of-this-generation-period/30-85300/

me said:
- plot is simple, almost episodic with a main story going on in the background. nothing Xenogears deep. More focused on the character growth. Superb localization makes the pretty high word count game, pretty enjoyable. Characters fit molds, but they do them well and nothing facepalm silly. It also does it at a pretty reasonable pace that helps you learn about the world rather than most games that go full speed at the beginning in which players are overwelmed with lore and what not.

- simple combat system. It utilizes orbs that place on a grid (kinda like ff7). simple yet effective. Nothing is permanent so those can be rearranged whenever, and however. Monsters on the field and are easily avoidable. You get orbs early on that show them on the minimap and eventually allow you to 'phase' through them like nightwalker and avoid them all together.

- Best feature ever. An all purpose journal that you can popup with a short cut (triangle left I think). Got info on all the systems (different combinations of orbs leads to different spells, this book tells you pretty much all the spells in the game, no bullshit). All the abbreviations for stats and what they mean, detailed journal entries on all quests and objectives and what not and the usual monster book. Don't need to go to gamefaqs for a guide about the systems and what not. All rpgs need this.

- exp curves all around. Game doesn't like grinding, so if level too high, exp is shit. If level is too low, exp is insane.

- If you 'game over', you can restart the battle right there. No restart from save bs.

- an toggle able option that allows you to 'ninja gaiden' a battle if you die. ie: lower the difficulty. Doesn't even taunt you about it!

- A truly engaging world imo. npcs have an insane amount of dialogue (localizing nightmare I'd imagine). Pretty much any 'event' that transpires leads to entirely new dialogue from all the npcs in town. Heck if you help out npc 'john' in town A, he might appear in town C and react to your help.

- Pretty much 95% of all the sidequests are on a bulletin board in each town. Some are kill miniboss quests, some are 'detective' style investigation quests. Good amount to help build the world. And easily accessible.

- Dungeons are surprisingly 'simple' in layout and with no random battles, no frustration.

So if you enjoyed jrpgs in the past and are tired of all the bs that's going on this generation or so. I implore you to check this out. Been good vibe all around I think. I can see why this series is the 'top rpg' in japan these days.

You should be stoned for that comment. Jeanna d'Arc isn't as deep or as "classic" as Tactics Ogre, but the game is an A effort all around. Don't sully its name with an inane comparison.

Doesn't hurt that Jeanne looks fucking gorgeous still, while Tactics Ogre looks like dog shit at default zoom.

Play both is the correct answer.

Grimmy

Banned
Here are my recommendations from all the PSP RPGs I've played (that cam work on the Vita at least):

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Half-Minute Hero
Ys: The Oath in Felghana
Ys 7
Ys I & II Chronicles (for Ys II only - the best Ys game out there!)
Jeanne d'Arc
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Cladun: This is an RPG!
Hexyz Force (male scenario only)
Riviera: The Promised Land
Persona 2: Innocent Sin
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions

Not played, so no comment:

The 3rd Birthday
Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection
ClaDun x2
Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days