• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Korezo

just dropping this off :)

ghju.gif

Car looks like it don't even belong, looks fake.

Idk, listing PCARs there is like putting in a heavy weight boxer alongside a handful of toddlers.

Or are we not allowing PC versions of games in this conversation?

Seanspeed

Banned
I bet it would have looked a bit better if it was delayed for a year
Would have had more content, more importantly.

Forza 6 should be interesting. I don't expect super mind-blowing visuals, though. The game does have to deal with the limited power of the system its running on. It will never match the best looking PS4 racers. We can just get that out of the way here and now.

What it can do is be impressive for an Xbox One game. Forza 5 is ok. 1080p/60fps is great, it really is, but you can definitely see where the compromises to meet that came from, most noticeably the prominent aliasing. But it does have a lot of good looking features as well, its just not completely consistent with them. Forza 6 should hopefully be a similar step like we saw from Forza 2 to Forza 3. I still expect some aliasing, but hopefully the visuals just take a general leap forward in most areas to make it the showcase title for the Xbox it should be.

p3tran

Banned
I will do my own, analytical comparison when I will have driveclub to test and play.
the way i see things now, driveclub should not be compared to forza, but to nfs rivals instead.
but will compare between all games that have cars, when time is due.

in the meanwhile, it would be nice if people that do not own a game do not come and show to be such strong minded for something they dont have.
makes such threads more readable, more tolerable to read.

c0de

Would have had more content, more importantly.

Forza 6 should be interesting. I don't expect super mind-blowing visuals, though. The game does have to deal with the limited power of the system its running on. It will never match the best looking PS4 racers. We can just get that out of the way here and now.

Why can't Forza 6 have super mind-blowing visuals? Performance/Power doesn't directly lead to mind-blowing visuals.
And we would get rid of it but strangely you are the one who brings it in, actually.

Seanspeed

Banned
Performance/Power doesn't directly lead to mind-blowing visuals.
It certainly does limit it.

I also didn't 'bring anything in'. I'm just saying that this is a futile 'battle' when one system is clearly a good deal more powerful than the other. The best PS4 racers will look better than the best XB1 racers. There's just no getting around that. They will always 'win'. Doesn't mean XB1 cant have its good looking racers, but for a thread where people are going to come in trying to pick out which is better, its not much of a fight. Last gen, it might have actually been interesting(or at least close), but it wont be that close this time.

Just speaking of inevitability is all. I'm certainly not trying to spark any system wars or anything.

I have Forza 5 and I think it looks great. The aliasing could use some improvement, but overall, the game can be stunning. The fact that it runs at 60 fps helps a lot. I know opinions are opinions but I don't understand the thought that Forza is an ugly game. Let's not swiftboat it like that. Also, the driving physics and car customization options are top notch.

I will probably pick up DriveClub too unless Forza Horizon 2 gets announced and it blows me away. Either way, we can enjoy both/all of these games. They all look great and offer some unique features.

Agreed, these are random screenshots from some of my gameplay footage i recorded a while ago, i cant say it's the best looking Nextgen racer, but it does look Damn good, especially in motion.

My%20Great%20Game%20-%20My%20Great%20Capture2%20-%202013-12-02%2001-53-55.mp4_snapshot_03.48_%5B2014.05.23_03.44.24%5D.bmp

My%20Great%20Game%20-%20My%20Great%20Capture2%20-%202013-12-02%2001-53-55.mp4_snapshot_07.55_%5B2014.05.23_03.49.20%5D.bmp

My+Great+Game+-+My+Great+Capture2+-+2013-12-02+01-53-55.mp4_snapshot_07.48_%5b2014.05.23_03.48.52%5d.bmp

Dirveclub is the best looking racer on the market but there is the fact that its 30 fps. Nevertheless I hope PD and T10 learn how to do backgrounds from Driveclub and some of the effects it has because its just outstanding.

qqlcyv.gif

ilX7INB54QSsI.gif

Dirveclub is the best looking racer on the market but there is the fact that its 30 fps.

It's not on the market yet, and won't be for several more months. However, going by the latest footage, I think it's safe to that it's the best looking console racer that we've seen so far.

But some of the claims made about Forza 5 are ridiculous. Some corners had to be cut, certainly, but the overall end result is still very impressive in motion. It's a downright gorgeous game most of the time, and it's always worth remembering that it's a launch title, and a 60 fps racer with complex sim physics. With Project Cars coming to consoles (and I'm also hoping for a current gen SimBin racer), the competition in the simulation genre will be fierce, and I'm looking forward to the years ahead.

Anyway, if Driveclub plays as good as it looks, it will definitely get me closer to purchasing a PS4 (I won't be able to afford it this year, though). Now bring on that Horizon sequel...

GlamFM

Banned
Dirveclub is the best looking racer on the market but there is the fact that its 30 fps. Nevertheless I hope PD and T10 learn how to do backgrounds from Driveclub and some of the effects it has because its just outstanding.

qqlcyv.gif

ilX7INB54QSsI.gif

Where is this footage from?

Feindflug

A lot of beauty in this thread, all the games look awesome but I also think that webms should replace gifs. Also the Project Cars time/weather system video is so beautiful. :O

Incredible visuals !

All the games look really impressive to me but I have to say I don't understand the beating Forza 5 takes. Yes it doesn't have real time / dynamic lighting and the courses are smaller scale than Driveclub but we have to take into account that it's running at twice the framerate.

It will be interesting to see what concessions they make for Forza Horizon 2, will it drop to 720p to maintain 60fps or will they just go for 1080p/30fps.

Also lol at MK8 being in the OP :D. Looks just as impressive to me as anything else in the thread but obviously they are going for a completely different look.

If I had to guess I'd say that a 900p/60fps scenario could be possible and it would be the better choice IMO. Still curious to see what Playground can do with the Xbone, Horizon on the old ass 360 was an amazing looking game.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
This needs to stop!
Because the wait for Driveclub is so fucking excruciating. I need it now!

Who knows though. The lighting engine in Forza has always sucked ass even previous gen.

I love statements like this. Like there are no other ratings between "perfection" and "ass". If Forza 4 and Forza Horiszon had "ass" lighting, then tell me what games had "good" lighting? (I'm taking a huge guess that GT5 and GT6 has your "perfect" lighting award already).

But yea, the environments in Driveclub are godly, i think the car Models in Forza are on par though, lets just hope the gameplay is good.

Septic360

Banned

I don't get Drive Club. When I played it last year it was not impressive at all. Having played Forza and then going to play DC straight after, the latter game really seemed like a last-gen affair.

But then these gifs and video snippets; they make DC look like a completely different game. I really can't wait to get a hands-on with the game to see what it really is like.

I REALLY love the lighting in Driveclub. It looks so good!

Agreed. I think in this current PS4/XONE/PC gen, lighting is by far the most important improvement in graphics. I've played Forza 5, latest NFS and I'm junior member of Project CARS and I have to say, latest Driveclub footage destroys all of them.

There are a few details I don't like in Driveclub like some ground textures and other little details but that natural phisically based lighting and high quality car ambient occlusion... Furthermore they added some special shaders, ones from Forza 5 and others never seen before:

iphv0fMwAJLz8.jpg

iQIKybpMYPg3m.jpg

ipfOjeJIEyohZ.jpg

iIxywr44e9LYc.jpg

iVgLTwqCJfqjM.jpg

itJjgWfm8QmvO.jpg

nOoblet16

Easy. If you view it in a new tab in 1080p and not GAF's auto-resize feature, you can tell from the in-game artifacts, the poor anisotropic filtering with the blurry/muddy road textures 10 feet ahead of the car, the aliasing, the very flat but crisp texture look for the environments, etc. If it was a PR bullshot they'll clean it up a bit, add in depth-of-field blur to focus on the car and take attention away from the flaws of the blurry road and environment textures.

Framebuffer grab. Look at those low AF nasty road textures.

driveclzpubv.png

Frambuffer

image_driveclub-25069-2662_0016.jpg

That is not low AF, it was then the white stripes that are so further back from the camera (especially on the right side of 2nd picture) would not have as clearly defined shape as they are in the pictures but rather just look like a blob of white paint on ground. Basically like the white lines in this picture here
http://i.imgur.com/9YPeUXv.jpg

Idk, listing PCARs there is like putting in a heavy weight boxer alongside a handful of toddlers.

Must be kidding right, Driveclub looks better than PCArs on any system. The environmental detail and lighting alone makes both look a gen apart.

tuna_love

Banned
Agreed. I think in this current PS4/XONE/PC gen, lighting is by far the most important improvement in graphics. I've played Forza 5, latest NFS and I'm junior member of Project CARS and I have to say, latest Driveclub footage destroys all of them.

There are a few details I don't like in Driveclub like some ground textures and other little details but that natural phisically based lighting and high quality car ambient occlusion... Furthermore they added some special shaders, ones from Forza 5 and others never seen before:

The road looks like shit in these pics.

fasTRapid

Banned

You've got to be kidding. PCars has nothing on Driveclub and doesn't even hold up to Forza in some shots.

Just taking visuals into account, this thread is a joke. GIFs are shit when you want to compare graphics.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Drive club has some graphics features like the inter car reflections etc that I hope future driving games copy.

Prototype

Will we ever see test drive unlimited 3? :(

Really loved that game. I guess the crew will be as close as we get to spring like that. Though one thing I will miss is the Sim-cade style that tdu2 had. Well that and satellite maps of ibiza and Hawaii. I really liked just driving around in that game for no other purpose then to drive.

Right now I'm looking forward to drive club and the crew. Hopefully we'll be hearing a lot more about the crew at E3.

I don't get Drive Club. When I played it last year it was not impressive at all. Having played Forza and then going to play DC straight after, the latter game really seemed like a last-gen affair.

But then these gifs and video snippets; they make DC look like a completely different game. I really can't wait to get a hands-on with the game to see what it really is like.
If you played it last year, you were playing Drive Club as it was last year, a game being rushed for launch. Also, when they allow the public to get hands-on, they're often not showing the very latest build of the game, as it is unstable. So you were likely playing an even older version than what they were working on at the time.

Now they've had more time, and we're seeing a more recent build here. The final game should look even better.

BeeDog

Its running at double the framerate, for one.

It also has dynamic weather for all tracks.

And it will have more environments(30-40+) than DriveClub(5).

That's quite a reach. What Project Cars has may be stages; it's not like Driveclub's 5 countries/locations won't allow for the 50+ stages to vary in looks. Since PCars strives for realism, its 30-40 stages probably won't vary a lot. What it may have over DC is city tracks.

eso76

i love the way the lights are reflected on the car itself here.
I thought this was something we'd never see in a game.

GT7 using SSR and PD tricks will look out of this world.

Also, Forza 5 looks very good.
Go watch some Road America and Long Beach, remember it's 60fps and a launch game which was developed on a moving target hardware.
Driveclub was looking quite a lot worse then this when FM5 launched, and used to look worse than Fm5 itself last year. Delaying it gave devs the time to adjust to actual hardware, and was a very good move.

What the hell is up with lack of proper AF though ? it really hurts racing games.

Sid

DriveClub looks better than Forza but the difference between them is hardly what I'd call huge if these screens are direct feed and Forza even runs at 60 FPS

ScreenShot2014-05-16at115043.jpg~original

image_forza_motorsport_5-23307-2721_0018.jpg

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I hope Turn10 have a totally new engine in the works for Forza 6. The current engine is really showing its age. Is it still the same engine now since Forza 2?

Top Bottom