• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MayJun17| WE ARE ROBOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Toonami Showdown feedback: On the whole "ALL music videos are weird", I think the main issue is that it's the usual "woooaaahhhh, look what we came up with while we were stoned off our asses!" crap associated with Adult Swim stuff in general. It's not just a "huh, that was different" like dancing zombies in Thriller, which almost seems normal in comparison. With the ones we get, it just seems to try & jam every random thing on the screen without thinking about how they could relate to the actual lyrics (though I'm sure a counterargument will be "so do a ton of other music videos").

You still make a valid point on "well, would you rather just have more of the exact same ads we always see each week?", though. & wtf at that one guy you found online who was all "they shouldn't air ads for adult swim shows on Toonami." As stupid/awful as the commercials can get, it still makes sense since Toonami is....ya know, part of Adult Swim. & I'm sure they do the reverse, show Toonami ads during normal Adult Swim.

Also, damn, I completely forgot they did a live-action Kite film, which just baffles me since it seems like the least known out of all the adaptations we've gotten.....plus it's one that got popular because of its random sex scenes, which I'm sure the movie didn't bother to replicate.

CfpKSt9.png

MFzPAAs.png

Samurai Jack (Season 5): May 20
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096: June 10
Attack on Titan S2: July 15
Tokyo Ghoul: September 16
Lupin the 3rd: December 9
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: August 5 (1st season), February 3, 2018 (2nd GIG)
Dragonball Z Kai: The Final Chapters: May 5, 2018
Hunter x Hunter: March 30, 2019
Naruto Shippuden: AHAHAHA
Dragon Ball Super: ┐(ツ)┌

Do we know what's happening with Samurai Jack yet? Rerun at 11PM?

So taking a look at this again, AOT2 will definitely be the Independence Day Weekend Marathon.

Tokyo Ghoul will like be the marathon for Labor Day since there's not enough episodes to make it to Halloween.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
imagine if the momocon announcement was that FLCL was Jack's replacement.

....I know it won't, but damn, it'd be amazing...

Seda

They could have saved the Lupin announcement for their panel, not sure why they didn't. (They didn't have to announce it at the panel either, but seems like it would have been a good opportunity.)

I bet the main announcement will be Attack on Titan's replacement (Jojo part 3? Watch it be IBO S2 lol) and maybe an FLCL teaser.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I am thinking that if Samurai Jack is in the unlikely event to be replaced by more Toonami programming, it would be replaced by Mob Psycho 100.

Seda

If you are going to post SPOILERS from mangas or unaired content for Toonami shows, please label the spoiler before the spoiler tag.

Like:

Attack on Titan Manga Spoilers
Actually everybody is a Titan

I''m not going to say you have to do this every single time or else, but it really helps to distinguish what is a real spoiler and what is not. I'll try to delete spoilers during the livewatch as I see them, but the moderation tools themselves are not fast and I'm not paying 100% attention to the thread at all times.

The reasoning for more specific rules is that the thread has gotten pretty loose with these as of late.

Crocodile

Great news about Lupin!

I'll repost this week's podcast because B-Dubs called this in the news segment when we were discussing possible future shows (I'd recommended it in the past also)...

Episode 57 "Twilight Did It Better"
This week Grexeno, B-Dubs, ckohler and Imperial Bishop discuss possible new shows, Rick and Morty cameos, dubbed OPs, toilet training, AoT being better without Erin, Mother's Day, Lucifer's Nen, Space FDR, slugs, and more adorable tanks.

Audio:
http://www.ckohler.net/toonamigafpodcast/Episode057.mp3

Timecodes:
0:01:01 Jack Marathon and New Shows Possibly Coming
0:11:27 Samurai Jack
0:20:55 Dragonball Super
0:31:07 Dragonball Z Kai
0:36:53 Attack on Titan Season 2
0:43:44 Tokyo Ghoul
0:56:48 Hunter x Hunter
1:06:45 Gundam Unicorn
1:08:58 Naruto Shippuden
1:14:12 Ghost in the Shell
1:15:15 Sign Offs

You can subscribe in your podcast app using this address:
http://www.ckohler.net/toonamigafpodcast/podcast.rss

Two comments I want to make:

• Unheard shows are unheard of for a reason - they have a harder time gaining broader interest (irrespective of their quality). For the sake of choosing which shows to broadcast, I think its risky to be a leader rather than a follower here. Not 1990s anymore where Toonami can serve as the first entry point for many anime. It's a good reinforcement vehicle but the internet is the main source on introduction.
  • Why do y'all get so pissy at English endings LOL? The Japaese versions still exist. As long as they aren't English Kai bad I welcome English OP/EDs. Also why do we think the ending is sung by a non-Native English speaker? Seemed ok to me? Y'all sound pretty weeaboo-ish to be honest :p
Overall though, good podcast as usual <3

They could have saved the Lupin announcement for their panel, not sure why they didn't. (They didn't have to announce it at the panel either, but seems like it would have been a good opportunity.)

It was the animation studio, TMS Entertainment, went ahead and announced it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
plot twist, Lupin WAS the momocon announcement, but as usual, the company that has the rights to the show ruined the surprise.

...but it most likely is "hey, we're officially confirming that we're actually totally airing jojo part 3"

Regiruler

If you are going to post SPOILERS from mangas or unaired content for Toonami shows, please label the spoiler before the spoiler tag.

Like:

Attack on Titan Manga Spoilers
Actually everybody is a Titan

I''m not going to say you have to do this every single time or else, but it really helps to distinguish what is a real spoiler and what is not. I'll try to delete spoilers during the livewatch as I see them, but the moderation tools themselves are not fast and I'm not paying 100% attention to the thread at all times.

The reasoning for more specific rules is that the thread has gotten pretty loose with these as of late.

I don't know if that's a real spoiler or not

You know guys, I've never been a bandit, or had to pillage my way through school. That said, I feel if a bandit could be successfully routed by a 90 pound villager...

fe_echoes_faye_1.png

...he may be in the wrong profession.

Seda

I made Faye a Cleric. She's the only character in the game who can learn Anew, and having another Physic user (especially early on) is incredibly useful. Physic's range in the game is 1-ATK, my Fay ended with 31 ATK, so...yeah.

Chase17

I'm at the end of act 1 and am wishing I made her a cleric, since just Silque probably won't cut it long term. Made her a pegasus knight (which is useful), but you recruit a different one almost immediately after lol.

Toonami Showdown feedback: On the whole "ALL music videos are weird", I think the main issue is that it's the usual "woooaaahhhh, look what we came up with while we were stoned off our asses!" crap associated with Adult Swim stuff in general. It's not just a "huh, that was different" like dancing zombies in Thriller, which almost seems normal in comparison. With the ones we get, it just seems to try & jam every random thing on the screen without thinking about how they could relate to the actual lyrics (though I'm sure a counterargument will be "so do a ton of other music videos").

You still make a valid point on "well, would you rather just have more of the exact same ads we always see each week?", though. & wtf at that one guy you found online who was all "they shouldn't air ads for adult swim shows on Toonami." As stupid/awful as the commercials can get, it still makes sense since Toonami is....ya know, part of Adult Swim. & I'm sure they do the reverse, show Toonami ads during normal Adult Swim.

Also, damn, I completely forgot they did a live-action Kite film, which just baffles me since it seems like the least known out of all the adaptations we've gotten.....plus it's one that got popular because of its random sex scenes, which I'm sure the movie didn't bother to replicate.

Really my only issue with the music videos is that their brand of weird tends to be this very one-note overuse of gore and other general gross-out stuff. It feels really easy and insincere. But beyond that I think there's this kind of outrageous hyperbole surrounding their airing regardless of content.

I think this video would totally still get complaints if it showed up on Toonami.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
What game are y'all talking about?

Sounds kinda like Shining Force.
I think FE Echoes since it came out today.

Meanwhile, I've been rather surprised by Arkanoid Vs. Space Invaders & the fact I'm actually enjoying a mobile game, especially one that isn't riddled with microtransactions, ads, energy timers, etc.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Where are the people who grew up on Zoids instead of Gundam
I semi-remember seeing an episode or two, but because I didn't really have Dish until I was a teen, I didn't grow up on it, but my best friend likes the series & wants to own the series if not for the fact the DVDs seem to be rather expensive.

How many different seasons did it get?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
& it's a LE, with extra stuff that's rather decent. I guess if you think about it, it's about $3 per episode + free goodies.

The price probably just seems high to me since I almost never buy shows or movies on DVD/Blu-Ray & I think to myself "well, that money could go towards getting a game."

I'll probably give in since looking at June & July, there's almost nothing in terms of games that I truly want at launch aside from maybe Crash. Though lately, whenever I think about buying certain games or anime/manga, a part of me wishes I had someone to share it with/let them borrow to justify the purchase, because I really wanted to show Jojo to my friend, but by the time the BD is out, he'll have moved to a city 2 hours away....

Wait a minute. You're going to leave the village over this? What about our friendship? I know about your struggle! What about our Bonds?!? Put on the headband, Schadenbob!

i'll just have to sever our bonds. But first lets go on a 20 episode adventure with super low stakes that doesn't amount to anything and characters we'll never see again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom