• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

Beth Cyra

Can't wait to see Wing Gundam Zero and Epyon in Z level sprites. Black getter should be pretty awesome as well.

Not really a fan of OO but I'm exctied to see season 2 suits as well as Strike Freedom's new cut in.

I'm wanting to know if Wing makes it into the Opening CG, in a way I kinda hope not. It was rather funny when Wing was one of like only two new series that there was no trace off in the original Z-2's opening.

Hahaha. Just saw the new poster for the game and it's already partway there. Every Gundam lead is featured on it (Turn A, Destiny, Nu, Zeta, DX, OO.) and no sign of Wing Zero.

TimeKillr

SRWZ2.2 scans are out again. Only a two page spread, looks like we get to use Darry from Gurren Langann (yay!).

Other than that, shows off Lockon (Gundam 00), Gamlin (Macross 7), and Kallen (Geass).

Also looks like they detail the bonuses you get for carrying over your SRW Z2.1 save.

So do we know exactly the bonuses we get from the carryover?

I'm already at my (lol) 5th playthrough of Z2.1.. It's getting kinda insane. Starting with enough money to max out everyone with 15 slots is crazy.

Not to mention my Crowe gets the self-support, continuous action and size ignore skills + going to 400 in ranged, skill and dodge after the first fight is hilarious. 30k crits on enemies that have 3000 HP! :)

Beth Cyra

I'm already at my (lol) 5th playthrough of Z2.1.. It's getting kinda insane. Starting with enough money to max out everyone with 15 slots is crazy.

Not to mention my Crowe gets the self-support, continuous action and size ignore skills + going to 400 in ranged, skill and dodge after the first fight is hilarious. 30k crits on enemies that have 3000 HP! :)

Yeah, there was some exact details on Game Faqs posted the other day. Didn't much read into it as I was to hyped for the poster and wanting the PV.

Bebpo

Banned

You get 500,000 money and ~100pp and +5 kills for 1 clear
you get 500,000 money and ~100pp and +5 kills for full scenario chart
you get ~10,000 money and ~10pp and +1 kill for each additional clear

So the big things are to have 1 clear + full scenario chart. Additional clears don't do much. I've got both of those so I'm happy! I just hope the game isn't too easy starting with that kind of extra cash and PP.

TimeKillr

You get 500,000 money and ~100pp and +5 kills for 1 clear
you get 500,000 money and ~100pp and +5 kills for full scenario chart
you get ~10,000 money and ~10pp and +1 kill for each additional clear

So the big things are to have 1 clear + full scenario chart. Additional clears don't do much. I've got both of those so I'm happy! I just hope the game isn't too easy starting with that kind of extra cash and PP.

Full scenario chart? You mean every single scenario has been cleared?

Is there a way to check that? I think I'm done with it, but I'm not 100% sure.

That's insane though, 200pp and 1 million cash to start? That's a TON of money and PP... wow.

Bebpo

Banned
Full scenario chart? You mean every single scenario has been cleared?

Is there a way to check that? I think I'm done with it, but I'm not 100% sure.

That's insane though, 200pp and 1 million cash to start? That's a TON of money and PP... wow.

Yeah, I've just started my 2nd run on Z2-1 the other day to get hyped for Z2-2. It's the first time I've ever done a new game+ in a SRW game and my god, starting with 5 million credits and 300-500PP a character makes the game a joke, lol. But it's surprisingly fun! Especially skipping all the story parts and just running through map after map in 5 mins blowing up everything in the way.

I should have tried this before, lol. Maybe I'll go back and replay some of the other SRW I've finished. I can't imagine an entire run takes more than about 6-10 hours on a new game+ which is a huge difference from the 60+ it takes on the first run!

zeroshiki

I have no idea how you guys can finish a game in 60 hours. My clock is at 110+ on my first run and I'm only at the final stage. Do you watch all the animations?

Beth Cyra

I have no idea how you guys can finish a game in 60 hours. My clock is at 110+ on my first run and I'm only at the final stage. Do you watch all the animations?

I watch the animations of my favorite suits almost everytime.

Outside of that though, I only watch them once per unit to see what they are unless it's a big final attack from a Super Robot.

Then again the first part doesn't mean that much when at most I like about 4 series per game, and that is on the upper side.

Bebpo

Banned
I did every branch my first run using multiple saves and I don't think it took more than about 100-120 total.

Z2 is pretty fast compared to a lot of srw games. @3 is taking me yeaaars.

I usually watch animations here and there and on bosses/new attacks, but during the middle map grunt waves it's almost entirely animation off.

A lot of it is Japanese reading speed as well. For me 50% of my game time in srw is reading the pre and post map story.

zeroshiki

Speaking of Z2 specifically, I really only skip the overlong animations (Crow's animations are mind bendingly boring) and the monsters when they have 0% chance to hit me.

Other than that, I watch everything which, I guess, is the reason my clock is so high.

Beth Cyra

Speaking of Z2 specifically, I really only skip the overlong animations (Crow's animations are mind bendingly boring) and the monsters when they have 0% chance to hit me.

Other than that, I watch everything which, I guess, is the reason my clock is so high.

Crowe's are really bad.

They just keep going and you keep thinking he is going to bust out something cool, but he just never does and it really is him shooting his pistol or little missles for the most part aside from his final attack.

Even the final was bad given how long it takes and what little happens.

I get to keep my game time down because I can't read a freaking lick of Japanese, in fact one of the big reasons I watch all the animations once is because I memorize which attack is which by it's placement on the list and what the animation was. So with the last few the second I leave the map Im holding R1 and I think O? To fast foward everything.

zeroshiki

Crowe's are really bad.

They just keep going and you keep thinking he is going to bust out something cool, but he just never does and it really is him shooting his pistol or little missles for the most part aside from his final attack.

Even the final was bad given how long it takes and what little happens.

I get to keep my game time down because I can't read a freaking lick of Japanese, in fact one of the big reasons I watch all the animations once is because I memorize which attack is which by it's placement on the list and what the animation was. So with the last few the second I leave the map Im holding R1 and I think O? To fast foward everything.

R+START skips everything until the next event :p

Crow(e?) is a really terrible lead. He's not even funny or his story particularly interesting. Once I got all the ZEUTH guys, I stopped using him. His attacks aren't really even that powerful either.

Beth Cyra

Yeah, I got to say going from Rand to Z2-1 was a real kick in the nuts. I don't generally care for OG characters anyway, then all of a sudden I feel in love with Rand and how awesome he was only to have him replaced with this guy.

Don't know if I ever heard about the R+Start before, would probably stick with the Fastfoward, if only because I keep count of how many times my favorite show up.

Given I prefer Duke, and how quite they keep him in alot of games I could have had a drinking game with Z1 and barely been drunk with all of his appreances through the whole game.

Shouta

R+START skips everything until the next event :p

Crow(e?) is a really terrible lead. He's not even funny or his story particularly interesting. Once I got all the ZEUTH guys, I stopped using him. His attacks aren't really even that powerful either.

What? Crowe is awesome. What kind of bizzaro thread have I walked into. Also,Hakai-hen is the setup for most of his story, I assume Saisei-hen will have the proper meat to it.

I thought Rand was pretty bland myself aside from having a somewhat original OG Super Robot.

zeroshiki

What? Crowe is awesome. What kind of bizzaro thread have I walked into. Also,Hakai-hen is the setup for most of his story, I assume Saisei-hen will have the proper meat to it.

I thought Rand was pretty bland myself aside from having a somewhat original OG Super Robot.

He's poor, he hates women and he has Kiriko's backstory with the special forces thing. The other dude calls him the Tilting Scale (揺れる天秤) too. That's pretty much all he is.

Bebpo

Banned

Crowe's alright but his voice actor never really sat well with me. Yuji Ueda was great for comedy back in the day, but as a grissled military guy? Didn't buy it.

And yeah, his attack animations were pretty boring and went on too long. I liked some of them but a lot of it is just him flying around the enemy. I hope the originals for Z2-2 have great movelists.

Bebpo

Banned
Man, replaying Z2-1, almost all my complaints I had the first time around are gone. No more complaining about the story pacing or lack of upgraded units or dimensional beasts, just pure quick fun of awesome sprites, awesome music, and awesome yelling seiyuu. I never knew SRW could be this fun!

Now I'm tempted to do a new game+ replay of Z1 later this year since Z1 was my favorite cast group in the series and I wouldn't mind replaying through the awesomeness that is The Big O, Eureka Seven, Gundam X, Turn A Gundam, Aquarion, etc... again.

I can understand not liking Crowe (if you are a soulless automaton) but what exactly was so great about Rand that would make him stand out if you didn't care of that type of character in the first place?

But yeah, Brasta's animations are pretty bad. Except for the Eagle Shoot and Bunker Breaker because those are to-the-point.

Bebpo

Banned
Rand was great because he was a loveable oaf with a loli wife. It was funny and had a very human element to it. Plus HE BEAT PEOPLE UP WITH A GIANT WRENCH :p

And his upgrade was pretty awesome looking.

zeroshiki

I would hardly call missing with the EAGLE SHOT each and every time, "to the point".

I realize these are all reused animations but the animations where you have huge ass robots dodging something as a setup, just looks ridiculous.

I would hardly call missing with the EAGLE SHOT each and every time, "to the point".

I realize these are all reused animations but the animations where you have huge ass robots dodging something as a setup, just looks ridiculous.

You're thinking of Clutch Snipe, which is not only Crowe's dumbest animation but also one of the worst SRW animations ever made.

Eagle Shot is his machine gun.

zeroshiki

You're thinking of Clutch Snipe, which is not only Crowe's dumbest animation but also one of the worst SRW animations ever made.

Eagle Shot is his machine gun.

Oh shit, you're right. My bad.

Since we're on the Crowe hate train, I hate his final attack as well. WTF is up with just stabbing a couple of rings and then ramming them into the enemy?

Bebpo

Banned
I'm guessing you did melee? I thought his ranged final was pretty cool. Animation was too long, but it was cool.

zeroshiki

Yeah, I did. I was thinking of going on the Japan route at first but decided to abandon it when I saw the roster for Area 11/Space.

Beth Cyra

I can understand not liking Crowe (if you are a soulless automaton) but what exactly was so great about Rand that would make him stand out if you didn't care of that type of character in the first place?

But yeah, Brasta's animations are pretty bad. Except for the Eagle Shoot and Bunker Breaker because those are to-the-point.

Rand was awesome. His relationship with Misaki was really cool as well.

Grab a drink together before kicking the shit out of each other with giant robots.

Shouta

He's poor, he hates women and he has Kiriko's backstory with the special forces thing. The other dude calls him the Tilting Scale (揺れる天秤) too. That's pretty much all he is.

Kind of like how Rand is just a hot-headed dude with a loli wife and really not much else.

That's simplifying it of course but complaining that Crowe is boring like and has nothing when only half his story has played out is silly. Saisei-hen is still going to be his story more or less and the rest of his stuff will play out. Hakai-hen is like the first half of Z1 Rand or Setsuko, just kind going through the story and setting up events until it really gets going.

Besides, he doesn't really hate women and he's one of the few OG mains that isn't a teen or a hot-headed fool, on the male side anyway.

I like Crowe specifically because he keeps bitching about his finances. Like when attacking the Vajra Queen he complains that the combat data he got from fighting the Vajra is going to be useless to the Scott Labs after this because there'll be no more bugs to fight.

Just going to save it here for posterity
#gafgundam said:
10:18 Dunpeal getter robo sucks
10:19 Dunpeal cant dodge and cant take damage
10:19 Dunpeal energy consumption is high
10:21 Dunpeal love shin shine spark though
10:22 Dunpeal still getter sucks as a unit
10:24 Dunpeal well then you tell me how to use getter in Z2
10:25 Lostconfused|work Move it directly next to the enemy
10:25 Lostconfused|work Getter beam
10:25 Lostconfused|work move it directly to next enemy
10:25 Lostconfused|work Getter Beam
10:25 Lostconfused|work repeat until map is clear
10:26 Dunpeal and get mauled by 10 units
10:26 Dunpeal yeah no doesnt work that well
10:28 Dunpeal god mars beats it clean
10:28 Dunpeal even as gaia only
10:32 Lostconfused|work learn to use seishin?
10:32 Dunpeal seishin=?
10:33 Lostconfused|work spirit commands
10:33 Lostconfused|work Getter has three pilots
10:33 Dunpeal and very few SP
10:34 Dunpeal tried maxing getter out but doesnt that well either
10:44 Dunpeal no hating on getter though just dont see it as a top unit

Jubern

Sorry for the double post, I just wanted to bump this thing to talk a little.

I'm nearing my very first run of Alpha 1 and I have to say it is awesome. I just finished the DYRL stage and absolutely loved it.

It's actually the second time I tried to play the game, the first time was like two or three years ago when I hadn't played any other SRW up to completion and decided to try Alpha 1 to see "what the fuss was about". Couldn't get in it and dropped it quicker than a yakuza would someone in Tokyo Bay.

Since then I played several recent entires and it just clicked. The selection just rocks and has a lot of series I really like but never got to play in another episode. Like SDF Macross + DYRL, Victory, F91, Gunbuster, Eva... So yeah, this alone totally sold me off. I've been playing so much OG in the last months (all three PS2 games basically) that I kinda forgot the taste of a "real" (and by that I mean crossover) SRW so the whole ride has been delicious.

I'll probably finish this in two or three days top. I've got the whole Alpha series lined up waiting to be played, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Bebpo

Banned
I want to play Alpha 1 someday. I tried it when it came out, but like you said dropped it fast. Same with other SRW games during the PS1-era, which is when I first heard about SRW. The games were cool, but so much talking and the gameplay was tediously slow.

Then I played SRW W on the DS and it was PORTABLE and FAST which suddenly made it awesome and completed it. Then backed up as far as I could get on the good graphic console versions while the turns were still fast enough to not make me drop it. Made it back to Alpha 2 and spent one summer playing through that and had a very good time. Still playing Alpha 3 which actually feels "more" tedious, despite being a faster game just because there's so many enemies and units to manage and the maps are so big and there are so many >_<

Anyhow, since I've played Alpha 2 and am nearing completion in Alpha 3, I definitely want to play Alpha 1, especially since Alpha 1 probably has my favorite cast list for a SRW ever outside maybe Z1. But I can't play Alpha 1 on a console. Waiting for the enemy to take their turns and move is so slow. I get burned out pretty quick. I really really wish they would port it/remake it on a handheld with modern SRW speed. But now that it's on PSN, maybe I should just play it on my PSP. I find I really only get through SRPGs anymore if they're on handhelds. They're just the perfect fit for a portable system since you can do a few unit moves or a turn or two and then put it in sleep mode and come back.

Jubern

For the "portable" part, I'm actually playing Alpha on PSP! And finished it yesterday. I'm probably waaaaay too spoiled having only played recent entries, but I found the last stage was way too long, borderline tedious. Needed a cut. 4 different battles in the same stage is a little too much. Not to mention I was totally NOT aware and screwed up by using my last two SRX combinations in the first parts.

Wonderful game anyway. Really glad I finally did it and totally looking forward to everything that still hasn't be done in various series and/or foreshadowed. I'm also crying a little inside knowing that Giant Robo isn't in the remaining games because of legal issues at the time...

Anyway, onward to Gaiden.

Oh and for those interested, Z2 Hakai-hen finally came out on PSN, which means it can be played on Vita!
Costs over 7000 yen though, they are out of their fucking minds. The UMD could be found for 3000 or so last time I checked.

Oh and for those interested, Z2 Hakai-hen finally came out on PSN, which means it can be played on Vita!
Costs over 7000 yen though, they are out of their fucking minds. The UMD could be found for 3000 or so last time I checked.

That's more or less full price, isn't it? And here I was hoping it would be a decent alternative to finding a copy for myself.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

For us importers, its technically about the same price for what we could get it, so really wouldn't bother us much in the first place. At most, shopping around, you'd only knock off a few bucks.

YesAsia has it for about $83, which is about 220 yen cheaper. NCSX (where I normally import from), its $88 (7188 yen).

I'll probably take the plunge and get a copy for my Vita.

blind51de

Banned
Anyhow, since I've played Alpha 2 and am nearing completion in Alpha 3, I definitely want to play Alpha 1, especially since Alpha 1 probably has my favorite cast list for a SRW ever outside maybe Z1. But I can't play Alpha 1 on a console. Waiting for the enemy to take their turns and move is so slow. I get burned out pretty quick. I really really wish they would port it/remake it on a handheld with modern SRW speed. But now that it's on PSN, maybe I should just play it on my PSP. I find I really only get through SRPGs anymore if they're on handhelds. They're just the perfect fit for a portable system since you can do a few unit moves or a turn or two and then put it in sleep mode and come back.

Spoiled yourself a bit with the squad system, eh? Just pace yourself, it's worth the time you put into it (which goes quicker than you think after you get used to things).
It does have a top-notch cast, though. I love any game that lets you play as the regular Dancougar units for a good part of the story before it makes them all combine.

Just going to save it here for posterity

Haha. I dumped points onto Musashi's defence, Hayato's evasion, and Ryouma's melee. One or the other'll have the seishins to fill in any gaps.

Skill suggestions: Give Musashi Guard and Hit & Away (which is good for following up a tank's attack), and make him the second and third turn tank after using Hayato (with or without Continuous Movement) to charge towards enemy units. Save Ryouma for the tougher units, although letting him take a beating isn't always unwise with his Prevail level.

Skill suggestions: Give Musashi Guard and Hit & Away (which is good for following up a tank's attack), and make him the second and third turn tank after using Hayato (with or without Continuous Movement) to charge towards enemy units. Save Ryouma for the tougher units, although letting him take a beating isn't always unwise with his Prevail level.

That last suggestion is what really opened my eyes. I haven't actually considered giving all of the pilots continuous action and cycling through all of them. Otherwise I didn't actually have any trouble with Getter and it was one of my main units. Along with Shin Mazinger.

Bebpo

Banned
Went back to playing Alpha 3 again as I got in the mood for some SRW. Just made it to map 41 so finally going to get my GGG Final Form soon. Gaogaigar and Macross 7 really do make everything better. So much hot blood in the air.

Less than a month until Z2-2! Can't wait, though I'm still flipping between buying a physical copy or a digital copy that I can use on the Vita as well as the PSP. Only advantage of physical is having a package on the shelf to match Z2-1 package and a nice instruction booklet and owning a physical product. But those are strong pulls! Kind of wish the game was insanely expensive as I'm a big enough SRW nut that if it were more reasonably priced I might just double dip.

They just put Hakai-hen on digital PSN to play on the Vita btw. Apparently they are not supporting the UMD passport program because Scamco are jerks like always. Gotta pony up 7330yen if you want to try it on Vita :(

Some comparison shots from the internet:
http://livedoor.3.blogimg.jp/jin115/imgs/a/e/ae3d2214-s.jpg (psp)
http://livedoor.3.blogimg.jp/jin115/imgs/e/c/ec83d2c4-s.jpg (vita)
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/jin115/imgs/7/d/7d6cf163-s.jpg

If they supported the darn UMD passport, I would totally pay $15-20 to do another run of Z2-1 on Vita screen :( Not spending $100+!

Spoiled yourself a bit with the squad system, eh? Just pace yourself, it's worth the time you put into it (which goes quicker than you think after you get used to things).
It does have a top-notch cast, though. I love any game that lets you play as the regular Dancougar units for a good part of the story before it makes them all combine.

Actually I hate the squad system in Alpha 3. So grindy for anything other than ALL attacks. Plus managing your squad EVERY MAP since it adds/takes away units for story parts each time is fricken annoying. I like Z1's Tri system or OGs Partner systems the best. I don't mind having no squads like Z2. I actually really like it because it makes the battles flow much faster. But the downside is it's far too limiting on who you can deploy, so I prefer at least 2/3 person squads.

It's really just sitting through enemy turns in older srpgs that I find really grating. The AI's think slower and so it's a lot of waiting...AI moves...waiting...AI moves. It's a personal peeve of mine and burns me out. At least on the player side you can turn the animations off and then it's not a whole lot slower than modern SRW.

zeroshiki

The squad system is my favorite mechanic ever because it finally gave useless units like Aphrodite A and Bosborot something to do.

The management screen is also one of my favorite parts of doing SRW so having to spend more time there never bothered. I really wish they'd release Alpha 3 on PSN :( I want to play it again really bad.

blind51de

Banned
But not the naked eye, which is what really matters.

Vita hasn't yet wowed me in what I've seen from it. I'd hate if any of the SRW devs were hurting projects to rush development for it.

Top Bottom