• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix's new plan: Eidos focus = online games; Japan accelerating work on phones

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/14q2slides.pdf

Note: Digital Entertainment refers to their entire video game business. "Amusement", "Publication", and "Merchandizing" are the other divisions.

squarelol1fejb5.png

squarelol2jlj0w.png

squarelol36ekvi.png

squarelol4zij43.png

spekkeh

Banned
Where's my android version of secret of mana squeenix.

Although, if they keep this up, I might just forget about everything squeenix (and square or enix) did ever.

Why can't SE see the sales of their console titles and focus on this growing market. Can't they see the new consoles and how everyone is flocking to them :(

Eusis

I wonder whether these movements bombing would actually make them go back, or just kill them outright.

Probably just pick up new shitty trends to focus on, I guess it's a casualty of getting as big as they did.

Now if only Nintendo could put what they snatched from Old square to better use.

I mean yeah Monolithsoft but they have so many others.

pizza dog

Banned
Man, it was pretty cool when you could just buy a game. I'm not strictly against Game As Service but, like, maybe not all of them though.

Sophia

Does the Eidos division even have a forte for online play? Looking through their game history I can't see too many games that were heavy online focused. Very odd business decision.

Eusis

Man, it was pretty cool when you could just buy a game. I'm not strictly against Game As Service but, like, maybe not all of them though.
I do wonder if they're mainly just showing off what the investors really want to hear about while still making stuff more along the lines of what we want.

But even at best it sounds like a minimized focus, and really does keep the trend of how every generational shift has me looking back fondly on the SE of the prior generation... now that it's seemingly reached the point where I miss them making games I wanted PERIOD. Though I guess that means if this continues they really will be dead next-next gen.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't see where it says this is exclusively the case.

Well yes it says "focus", obviously things like FFXV exist and Eidos makes things like Deus Ex: The Fall.

"Shift to" and "accelerate" generally implies a growing trend however!

JDSN

Banned
Im really impressed how SE is talking the two approach that brought down a lot of companies last gen: Making games with online integration and trusting the shaky mobile market.

I hope Level 5 and Sega Sammy acquire a lot of IPs and talent from the inevitable bankruptcy bids.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Online too? Holy shit, this is a surefire way to fucking have something blow up in your face.

Top Bottom