• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hat in Time releases in 2 days, yet JonTron still seems to be in the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinbo37

Shocker that the Josh Thomas, the Jon Tron sympathizer, is in favor of this and hates everyone here

josh_dumb_2.png

And he wonders why Nintendo blacklisted him

AHAHAHAHAH.

I love stuff like this. I literally only go on NeoGaf in regards to gaming. I dont watch Twitch or youtube, or lets plays and I dont visit any other sites (except for gamefaqs for walkthoughs).

I am always shocked when people say stuff like this against GAF. Its hilarious actually. It is great. I love GAF and I love being on here.

brinstar

Mel Gibson was banished from Hollywood for a decade for his anti sematic remarks.
Yet in video games you can want to cleanse the ethnic gene pool and tell millions of children know it's okay to make anti sematic jokes and call people the n word, and people will actually defend you. Even better, if you protest those people, you're somehow the bad guy.
Christ.

welcome to gaming, we have no standards!

ViolentP

Speak with your wallets. It's much easier to stop a racist from speaking than it is to stop a racist from being racist.

Opa-Pa

Mel Gibson was banished from Hollywood for a decade for his anti sematic remarks.
Yet in video games you can want to cleanse the ethnic gene pool and tell millions of children know it's okay to make anti sematic jokes and call people the n word, and people will actually defend you. Even better, if you protest those people, you're somehow the bad guy.
Christ.

Gamers are the goddamn worst. After all the YL drama I really hoped there'd be no one defending that dumbass' inclusion in the game here but here we are.

Tain

That's not the point I'm making, it's that I'm talking about people hurting a company by not buying the game, and you yell "people not buying a game they were planning to due to this is violence? Lol?" When I made no mention of violence.

Yes, that was a joke stemming from the absurdity of your post positioning buying a video game as a moral imperative.

Nice edit to your post, by the way.

I think it made things more clear, yeah.

TheChaos

Any other OT title than this would be dishonest, and frankly suspect.

I would prefer something a little more subtle, like:

A Hat in Time |OT| White hood not included

Okay a quick scan of Jonas' twitter makes me feel much better about this. I still hope they remove JonTron for the game or at least make a statement, but my fears of something darker going on are soothed a little here.

My guess is they don't want to say anything for fear of getting review bombed, as they need all the sales they can get.

Vimes

Considering the creator of the game is openly Anti-Trump, the chances of them agreeing with JonTron is extremely low.
The creator of A Hat in Time? this is valuable information to me if so.

Okay a quick scan of Jonas' twitter makes me feel much better about this. I still hope they remove JonTron from the game or at least make a statement, but my fears of something darker going on are soothed a little here.

I'm looking forward to Thursday again, the game looks so good.

L Thammy

you know they say all cultures are created equal
but you look at me and you look at l thammy and you can see that statement is not true

see normally if you 1 on 1 with another country's laws and morality you got a 50/50 chance of winning

but i'm just taking all of you in the mud and i'm not normal
so you got a 25 at best at beat me

mazillion

Most people probably wouldn't have even known he was in this without this thread.....

Good, and here they'll see who he really is. It sounds like you're suggesting a thread like this is good for him?

It's good if racist sympathizers are his target audience I guess.

StoveOven

Banned
Good and bad are cultural things. In nature, there isn't good or bad. That's why we have laws to judge good and bad.

Judge with the law, only the law. Judge me with it if you can.

Maybe it's not my law.

Psst. Your authoritarian is showing

Alej

Banned
How did you pivot from "There are more important wrongs in the world, how are you arguing about this stuff" to "No one can tell me what's right or wrong" in less than a page?

"You are taking my words out of context!" signed: Alej's PR.

Edit: but in order to give an answer, i'll say "the only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing", and that's what i'm talking about since my first reply here. I don't say it can't be an important "wrong" to some people (it is to me) but i'm saying "if it is important to you, then be coherent and deal with it even when it risks you something". I mean, the good fights like those are easy.

Then, when i've been implying "no one can judge me", i wasn't saying "no one can tell me what is right or wrong", it's just cultural relativism and i wanted to expose that a little in front of some answers i've got. People should understand that "what is wrong to them" is "only wrong to them". And act accordingly.

We can shame them to death. They exist and won't stop existing because of you. This guy will exist and continue to exist. You are fighting him wrong.

The basic way to fight ideas is to fight ideas, not fight the guy behind or in front of them.

Not buying a product, because a person who worked on it is racist, isn't fighting racism.

End of my story. I got the memo my metaphorical or comical stance wasn't done very well here and it is something i would gladly apologize for.

Okay a quick scan of Jonas' twitter makes me feel much better about this. I still hope they remove JonTron for the game or at least make a statement, but my fears of something darker going on are soothed a little here.

Some highlights, if you wouldn't mind?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
That doesn't make someone a hypocrite.

*snip*

Thank you for taking your time with this. You've worded it better than I possibly could.

This is a complex situation, and all one can do is choose the best way to proceed that they are comfortable with - and that's why I'm thankful that this thread exists. Having all the information allows people to act accordingly.

A Hat in Time is definitely bigger than this whole issue, and you won't find me arguing otherwise. It looks like a charming and fun game. But people who choose to avoid it because of JonTron's involvement aren't "on a vendetta" or "hurting people for their own self-satisfaction," as some have said in this thread. It's a matter of taking a stance against things we disagree with.

And it's not like this is some useless effort, either. The more people voice their opinions at the developers, the better are the chances that they'll actually take action and remove him from the game.

you know they say all cultures are created equal
but you look at me and you look at l thammy and you can see that statement is not true

see normally if you 1 on 1 with another country's laws and morality you got a 50/50 chance of winning

but i'm just taking all of you in the mud and i'm not normal
so you got a 25 at best at beat me

THE NUMBERS DON'T LIE

AND THEY SPELL DISASTER FOR YOU AT THE CIVIL WAR

Yes, that was a joke stemming from the absurdity of your post positioning buying a video game as a moral imperative.

I think it made things more clear, yeah.

That's quite a bit of an extrapolation from my original post, I'm sure someone even as stubborn as you have to admit.

I'm just saying the developers aren't the ones who did something bad. People are trying to drag them down because someone they hired later turned out to be a bad person. And it'd be a real shame if all their hard work doesn't pay off because of this petty grudge over something completely coincidental.

I was looking forward to this game for a few years. Not enough to help kickstart it, but I've pad a decent amount of attention towards it... until I heard about Jon's involvement and Gear's silence over the issue last month.

I love 3D platformers, so I want to give the game a shot, but I'm not going to buy it as long as Gears for Breakfast continues to remain quiet on their reasoning for keeping Jon in. I'll still play the game, but I'm not giving them money.

Even if they just put out a statement saying something along the lines of "We hate Jontron and disagree with his racist opinions but we couldn't completely remove him from the game because of X" than I'd reconsider my stance.

I was looking forward to this game for a few years. Not enough to help kickstart it, but I've pad a decent amount of attention towards it... until I heard about Jon's involvement and Gear's silence over the issue last month.

I love 3D platformers, so I want to give the game a shot, but I'm not going to buy it as long as Gears for Breakfast continues to remain quiet on their reasoning for keeping Jon in. I'll still play the game, but I'm not giving them money.

Even if they just put out a statement saying something along the lines of "We hate Jontron and disagree with his racist opinions but we couldn't completely remove him from the game because of X" than I'd reconsider my stance.

Stealing's a pretty sucky thing to do, if that's what you're implying

That's quite a bit of an extrapolation from my original post, I'm sure someone even as stubborn as you have to admit.

I'm just saying the developers aren't the ones who did something bad. People are trying to drag them down because someone they hired later turned out to be a bad person. And it'd be a real shame if all their hard work doesn't pay off because of this petty grudge over something completely coincidental.
I wish no ill harm on the developers of this game but they had 6+ months to remedy the situation. If they don't care, I don't care for their game. I think that's perfectly OK, don't you?

Vimes

He shared the following Onion articles a few weeks ago:

http://www.theonion.com/graphic/trump-warns-removing-confederate-statues-could-be--56663

http://www.theonion.com/article/twitter-introduces-red-x-mark-verify-users-its-oka-56527

I think that assuages me enough that he's not a closet alt-righter or gator.

Had trouble parsing his language but he seems critical of pewdiepie as well. If so, I have a lot of sympathy for the situation Gears for Breakfast in right now.

Once again, I still REALLY hope they take a moral stand on the JonTron issue (and pretty annoyed that they haven't done so already given the time they've had to address this). Even more so since his inclusion seems to conflict with their views. But now I can enjoy the game not worried about it being made by the new wave of garbo alt-right indies.

Could you, or anyone else, show some highlights? If the creators are clearly anti-shitheads then I'd be more open to buying their game. Still probably won't if they remain silent on the issue.

Stealing's a pretty sucky thing to do, if that's what you're implying

Yeah, it is but I think any reasonable person could see why it might be a worthwhile option at this point.

Keeping a racist fuckbag in your game and not giving your audience a reason why is a pretty sucky thing to do as well.

He shared the following Onion articles a few weeks ago:

http://www.theonion.com/graphic/trump-warns-removing-confederate-statues-could-be--56663

http://www.theonion.com/article/twitter-introduces-red-x-mark-verify-users-its-oka-56527

I think that assuages me enough that he's not a closet alt-righter or gator.

Had trouble parsing his language but he seems critical of pewdiepie as well. If so, I have a lot of sympathy for the situation they're in right now.

Once again, I still REALLY hope they take a moral stand on the JonTron issue (and pretty annoyed that they haven't done so already given the time they've had to address this). Even more so since his inclusion seems to conflict with their views. But now I can enjoy the game not worried about it being made by the new wave of garbo alt-right indies.

Hey, out of curiosity, what is this garbo new-wave? Is there a thread?

Intel_89

Yeah, it is but I think any reasonable person could see why it might be a worthwhile option at this point.

Keeping a racist fuckbag in your game and not giving your audience a reason why is a pretty sucky thing to do as well.

Might as well not play it if you feel that strongly about this whole situation.

Thank you for taking your time with this. You've worded it better than I possibly could.

This is a complex situation, and all one can do is choose the best way to proceed that they are comfortable with - and that's why I'm thankful that this thread exists. Having all the information allows people to act accordingly.

A Hat in Time is definitely bigger than this whole issue, and you won't find me arguing otherwise. It looks like a charming and fun game. But people who choose to avoid it because of JonTron's involvement aren't "on a vendetta" or "hurting people for their own self-satisfaction," as some have said in this thread. It's a matter of taking a stance against things we disagree with.

And it's not like this is some useless effort, either. The more people voice their opinions at the developers, the better are the chances that they'll actually take action and remove him from the game.

I frankly agree with your post here and with Stumpokapow's post you quoted. I also agree that voting with your wallet in this instance is admirable. I am not in any way advocating for the bullshit "Well, you have an iPhone therefore you can't take a stance on anything" argument. I do see how my posts came off this way and I apologize if I added to a narrative I detest.

My frustration is as follows: I wish that I saw the same enthusiasm for boycott when I pop into threads about, say, any Hollywood figure who signed that Polanski petition. Just as an example. I'm glad people feel strong enough to put their foot down here - my frustration comes from not seeing it elsewhere, and my anger was aimed at that double standard. Which was then directed at you through the Dragon Quest example. I do understand that that does not make you a hypocrite, and I apologize for singling you out and coming across as a "whataboutist." Nothing could be further from the truth - I am happy to see it here, I just hope to see it elsewhere.

Nanashrew

Banned
There's a problem on the front page where people are simply calling him a racist. That simply isn't strong enough. He's a white supremacist who believes America should become a white ethno-state, like white supremacists do.

Completely agreed on your second paragraph.

But no, most reasonable people probably wouldn't think one wrong thing suddenly becomes ok because of another wrong thing. At least that's my guess. Vote with your wallet and keep making noise about it.

Crayolan

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/898909958108065793

Trump Warns Removing Confederate Statues Could Be Slippery Slope To Eliminating Racism Entirely http://trib.al/bWWQSn9

https://twitter.com/MekuCube/status/874228578157817856

Did... did the Wolfenstein 2 trailer take it easy on the nazi killing to avoid offending actual nazis? There was almost no nazi slaughtering

Can't find anything which is outright "fuck the alt-right", but he doesn't seem to be pro-Nazi.

I frankly agree with your post here and with Stumpokapow's post you quoted. I also agree that voting with your wallet in this instance is admirable. I am not in any way advocating for the bullshit "Well, you have an iPhone therefore you can't take a stance on anything" argument. I do see how my posts came off this way and I apologize if I added to a narrative I detest.

My frustration is as follows: I wish that I saw the same enthusiasm for boycott when I pop into threads about, say, any Hollywood figure who signed that Polanski petition. Just as an example. I'm glad people feel strong enough to put their foot down here - my frustration comes from not seeing it elsewhere, and my anger was aimed at that double standard. Which was then directed at you through the Dragon Quest example. I do understand that that does not make you a hypocrite, and I apologize for singling you out and coming across as a "whataboutist." Nothing could be further from the truth - I am happy to see it here, I just hope to see it elsewhere.

To an extent I saw and agree with your original point, which is basically that "I can take a stand against injustice except when the product in question is something I actually really want" is kinda crappy. Your point was valid if we ignore quibbling over whether hypocrisy is the appropriate way to frame it, and while we do have to accept people's imperfections in pursuing their ideals I would be much less willing to give wiggle room when the product is solely for entertainment as opposed to something like food or clothing.

I'm not trying to single Brazil out, since they seem like a totally solid person across a great deal of threads with superb morals, but let's not pretend that the original point had no basis.

Vimes

Hey, out of curiosity, what is this garbo new-wave? Is there a thread?

The Last Night, Huniepop 2, arguably Ruiner

I bought huniepop 1 despite knowing the dev was a gamergate dickbag

Hatred is a bit older but probably qualifies, and of course everyone knows about Notch's misbehavior at this point. I'm glad Minecraft is in better hands now.

Wish I could remember more off the top of my head, but it's been a disquieting trend and arguably thread worthy.

Durante

Well, if you are a developer in that position it seems like you'd be screwed either way. Not a situation I envy.
(That said, if you're screwed anyway, why not drop the douchebag?)

Granjinha

The Last Night, Huniepop 2, arguably Ruiner

I bought huniepop 1 despite knowing the dev was a gamergate dickbag

Hatred is a bit older but probably qualifies, and of course everyone knows about Notch's misbehavior at this point. I'm glad Minecraft is in better hands now.

Wish I could remember more off the top of my head, but it's been a disquieting trend and arguably thread worthy.

RUINER is published by Devolver Digital. They are definitely not anything near gamergate, alt-right or stuff like that. The review you linked doesn't imply that RUINER is anything like that either.

I can see why you're frustrated with this, but there is no "wave of indie alt right". That doesn't exist.

Vimes

Yeah, this would have been easier for them if it had been done quietly during development. Now they're in a situation where there will be a scene one way or the other.

Not a good can to kick down the road.

Sacul64GC

Banned
It all comes down to how each company handles the situation and unfortunately for Playtonic it means Hat in Time will get sales from people who were upset at Jon's removal in Yooka Laylee.

I want to buy it if its a better game than YL. Im still subbed to Jon as well.

I'm still subbed to him in case he apologizes or changes his view, as unlikely as that is at this point. I went from watching every new video he uploads asap and re-watching old vids several times a week to nothing at all. I also tell other people that may care why I dont support him. I kickstarted Yooka Laylee and will get the switch version if that ever comes out. I did not kickstart Hat In Time but I will get it if it comes out on the switch.

Well, if you are a developer in that position it seems like you'd be screwed either way. Not a situation I envy.
To be fair, you're probably more screwed if you go against gamergate. It's not just review bombing and talking in the forums at that point. The possibility of death threats and harassment are far more likely.

Mind you, I do still wish they took a stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom