• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Even after the Creators Update, the Windows 10 Store is still a broken mess

SURGEdude

Without telling anybody the ETA it took like a month for the RE7 DLC to land on the Win(lose) Store for crossbuyers. And the biggest rub is that it was on Steam day 1 with Xbox.

That's the kind of fuck you you wouldn't expect from a company interested in getting people to support their storefront.

Akronis

I'm not arguing against PC. I'm simply pointing out the fact that alot of posters here state that the Xbox One isn't worth buying because of Play Anywhere titles being on PC, only to then bash the Windows 10 store and go as far as refuse to use it thereby missing out on Xbox One/Windows 10 exclusives. Seems like a lose/lose situation to me!

If the Windows 10 store is that big of an issue just save yourself the hassle and buy and Xbox One.

Or they could, ya know, fix the fucking store? Your solution is to stop complaining and buy another Microsoft product? Amazing idea bud. Real smart.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's been well over a year since Rise of the Tomb Raider and usability has not improved whatsoever. Nobody should be giving Microsoft the benefit of the doubt, regardless of how they feel about UWP.

Akronis

That's even assuming it's a simple fix.

I don't give a shit if it's not a simple fix. If they're going to push products on a broken storefront, they should FIX IT.

If they can't handle what Steam could handle 10 years ago, and I know they can they're fucking Microsoft, then they should just dump their IPs on Steam and call it a day.

Backlogger

Its funny because in the past 2 years there has been like 3 other PC gaming clients released that put Win10 store to shame. Epic Launcher, Bethesda launcher and GOG galaxy all make the Win10 store look like a joke in terms of gaming. Microsoft is the largest software company in the world with thousands of engineers yet they can't release a PC client that can properly download, install and update games. Amateur hour at Redmond.

I feel like the idea of the Windows store is that it was created to be more like an App Store. It's like it wasn't designed to manage huge 60 GB downloads like other game clients were. When the store first launched with Windows 8 it was mostly small apps. It's like they've never optimized it for what it's become.

A lot of unfair characterizations here. The fact of the matter is, the problem of transferring data from a remote server to a local device remains an essentially unsolved problem in the domain of computer science.

Indeed, some of the greatest minds of our generation, including Andrew Tridgell, Abhay Bhushan, Tim Berners-Lee and Bram Cohen, have all attempted to tackle this problem but as of yet, no practical, reliable mechanism exists for solving the aforementioned problem.

So let's maybe cool it with the Microsoft ridicule, shall we?

crc check ? Tcp packet verification ? Download & resume ? torrent packet compilation ?

What a joke post. Is this post from 1990 ?
I feel like the idea of the Windows store is that it was created to be more like an App Store. It's like it wasn't designed to manage huge 60 GB downloads like other game clients were. When the store first launched with Windows 8 it was mostly small apps. It's like they've never optimized it for what it's become.

Even if that was true , a smart delivery of files would help whenever the files are tiny or huge. The smilple matter is that there delivery system is not optimised and should have been months ago

Doc_Drop

It is incredibly confusing/frustrating given I would like to play some of their games on PC as I can't really justify an Xbox One, and I happily use other clients.

It'll continue to be their loss until they fix it up, utterly maddening considering the push for play anywhere initiative

Gestault

It is incredibly confusing/frustrating given I would like to play some of their games on PC as I can't really justify an Xbox One, and I happily use other clients.

It'll continue to be their loss until they fix it up, utterly maddening considering the push for play anywhere initiative

If it's really about wanting to play the games, they have free demos of most major releases, which would be exactly characteristic of the normal download/update experience.

Doc_Drop

If it's really about wanting to play the games, they have free demos of most major releases, which would be exactly characteristic of the normal download/update experience.
I don't use Windows 10 as yet, if the store was rated well then I would certainly consider the upgrade to have access to them

Yeah i agree. The windows Store is a fucking god damn mess. What shit.

First of all, this "a game is a game" shit doesnt fly with me. A game isnt a game. There are different levels of games. Theres garbage mobile games, then theres xbox and pc games. Dont fucking put Gears of War 4 next to Candy Crush for Christ sake.

How is this a good idea? Who comes up with this stuff?

This store is trash because its trying to be everything all at once for every device. The store is the part that needs the most work and yet months go by without any substantial updates to it. Ridiculous.

Microsoft, this is why you struggle in PC gaming. Its like youre oblivious to how stuff works.

joecanada

I'm not arguing against PC. I'm simply pointing out the fact that alot of posters here state that the Xbox One isn't worth buying because of Play Anywhere titles being on PC, only to then bash the Windows 10 store and go as far as refuse to use it thereby missing out on Xbox One/Windows 10 exclusives. Seems like a lose/lose situation to me!

If the Windows 10 store is that big of an issue just save yourself the hassle and buy an Xbox One.

lol buy more ms products ! some work better than others! *ymmv*

I have a perfectly good windows pc, if MS doesn't want me to buy their games that is 100% their problem not mine. There's plenty more to play out there I won't even notice.

chadskin

If anyone's having the same sort of download issue: I followed this Reddit guide and can play the game now. It essentially grabs the .EAppx file for you to download and subsequently sideload, with the benefit of not having to rely on any dodgy torrents.

If anyone's having the same sort of download issue: I followed this Reddit guide and can play the game now. It essentially grabs the .EAppx file for you to download and subsequently sideload, with the benefit of not having to rely on any dodgy torrents.

Its cool that it works, but no one should have to do that at this point. MS should be on top of this shit 6 months ago.

dr_rus

Hardly surprising considering that there are no changes to Windows Store in Creators Update.

What is surprising though is that MS seems to think that making crap like Paint 3D is more important than fixing their Windows Store. It's even beyond surprising at this point, it's close to corporate insanity.

I personally ran into funny issue a week ago when re-installing everything after installing 1703 - out of four UWP games which I need to have installed, three asked me about which drive they should be installed upon and one didn't. No matter how many times I tried restarting its installation - it always silently started downloading to C: So eventually I had to move it after installation - which is another funny thing to do since THERE IS NO PROGRESS INDICATION when you move some 100GB game from one drive to another.

As I've said in another thread already, I honestly feel like I'm using Win95 again with UWP and WinStore.

Unbelievable.

I got Forza Horizon 3 a couple of days ago and got it to download overnight. The next day my commie ISP lets me know my 250gb/mo rations are 80% used up. I check my daily usage metrics and sure enough, 90-something gigabytes downloaded in that 24 hour period. Seems like I had that stupid glitch that downloaded FH3 twice, using up essentially 40 PERCENT of my entire monthly data cap, and I'm likely now going to be charged overages.

Microsoft: FIX. YOUR. SHIT. This is unacceptable. The way dozens and dozens of bullshit data is thrown at customers is completely irresponsible. Not everyone has infinite bandwidth. You need to be cognizant of real people living in real-world situations were we have shit ISPs and horrendously low data caps.

Hardly surprising considering that there are no changes to Windows Store in Creators Update.

What is surprising though is that MS seems to think that making crap like Paint 3D is more important than fixing their Windows Store. It's even beyond surprising at this point, it's close to corporate insanity.

I personally ran into funny issue a week ago when re-installing everything after installing 1703 - out of four UWP games which I need to have installed, three asked me about which drive they should be installed upon and one didn't. No matter how many times I tried restarting its installation - it always silently started downloading to C: So eventually I had to move it after installation - which is another funny thing to do since THERE IS NO PROGRESS INDICATION when you move some 100GB game from one drive to another.

As I've said in another thread already, I honestly feel like I'm using Win95 again with UWP and WinStore.

To be fair, i dont think the same teams work on those 2 things. They can have people work on 3D paint while the people who built the windows store fix the store. I highly doubt the same people work on an app like paint and building an online store.

dr_rus

To be fair, i dont think the same teams work on those 2 things. They can have people work on 3D paint while the people who built the windows store fix the store. I highly doubt the same people work on an app like paint and building an online store.

Same programmers can work on any of these projects and what's even more important is that they are funded from the same budget. So, no, this doesn't work here - the fact that they've spent time on Paint 3D and tab previews in Edge means that they prioritizied these things above making their store functional. And this is just unbelievable.

Same programmers can work on any of these projects and what's even more important is that they are funded from the same budget. So, no, this doesn't work here - the fact that they've spent time on Paint 3D and tab previews in Edge means that they prioritizied these things above making their store functional. And this is just unbelievable.

Creating a paint app takes different qualifications than building an online infrastructure for a digital store. There are different types of programmers.

dr_rus

Creating a paint app takes different qualifications than building an online infrastructure for a digital store. There are different types of programmers.

Again, the main point is that this is just on big budget with prioritization between projects. Even if some programmers can only program Paint 3D in C# and for some mysterious reason can't program WinStore in C#, they can always hire those who could instead of producing shovelware like Paint 3D and calling this an ultra big important new feature of the OS. How often do you use Paint?

Again, the main point is that this is just on big budget with prioritisation between projects. Even if some programmers can only program Paint 3D in C# and for some mysterious reason can't program WinStore in C#, they can always hire those who could instead of producing shovelware like Paint 3D and calling this an ultra big important new feature of the OS. How often do you use Paint?

Prioritisation is another issue. My guess is that the whole reason they started pushing apps instead of baking everything into the OS is because it can be delegated easier this way. This means that there are probably multiple different teams working on multiple different projects at all times and they are probably designated teams to specific features. MS is not a start up company where programmers can just switch on whatever project cause "they need people". Companies that size rarely work that way.

Two versions showing up is common, happens to all games that have multiple versions and you chose to install from any listing that isn't the base game.

But from the games I tried that had two listings never had the reset download bug, so I dunno if they are related.

Its cool that it works, but no one should have to do that at this point. MS should be on top of this shit 6 months ago.
The irony is that this method downloads from the same servers the store does and uses the same installer the store does. But for some reason the store is unable to do both actions. Which makes it seems that it's indeed something broken in the store and not on the underlying systems the store uses.

Top Bottom