• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bird Nest in my Chimney...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant1532

Banned
They keep on chirping and I have no idea what to do... I can't even see them though since all I see up the chimney is black... What should I do?

I think this might have something to do with a bird this weekend...(backstory)

Well the other day there was a bird in my house in a corner next to the piano but it wouldn't move. So I went to go and get it to see if it was dead and the bird started flapping it's wings trying to get away and flew to my staircase. It seemed like from there on it was done flying and seemed like it was going to dye soon(breathing strongly not flying, just acting unhealthy) So I grabbed it but it's damn feet wouldn't let go of the carpet.

After 30 minutes of trying to get it free I finally got the damn thing and put it outside. It wouldn't move at all or anything so I just put some water next to it and that was all I can really do. So 2 hours or so later my friend and I come back home and the damn bird is still there breathing but just sitting. We went up to it and we were going to take it out of it's misery (thinking it was dying) and just as my friend is about to kill it with a rock I told him to stop and then I just touched the damn thing to make sure it was done for and wouldn't fly but the bastard somehow got a miraculous amount of energy and flew next to my house for abuot 2 minutes then flew off. It was an freaking awesome feeling.

Aeon712

Gaf I need help, while coming hme from work I saw two birds enter my attic through a little vent on the side of my house. On my way up to the attic just now I heard a bunch of little chirps so I decided to come back. Should I just wait it out till the chicks can fly and leave or should I call someone to remove it?

ant1532

Banned
Aeon712 said:
Gaf I need help, while coming hme from work I saw two birds enter my attic through a little vent on the side of my house. On my way up to the attic just now I heard a bunch of little chirps so I decided to come back. Should I just wait it out till the chicks can fly and leave or should I call someone to remove it?
Well I would go up there get the mom out(I would put gloves on for mites) and then get the nest with the baby's. But only do this if you have a tree you can put the nest in and let the mom see them.

If you don't think you can do this, try and call a professional or a friend.

Btw, the parenting bird of my nest in my chimney seems to not be stuck and I've seen her come out and in of the chimney.(It's funny to see her get in and out) Hopefully she doesn't have trouble getting the chicks out.

Aeon712

I have no tree's around me :(, guess I'll let them stay since they aren't bothering me. First chance I get next month(or whenever they leave) the vent is getting sealed. Thanks for the advice.

tnw

Banned
ugh, this reminds me of a story of mine about pigeons.

Out on the balcony of my apartment (up high on the 10th floor), there is a air conditioner system that was hoisted up on two cinder blocks. there was about a half foot space in there. It's up high, so pigeons would come on to my balcony all the time.

Well, two of them decided to make a nest under the air conditioner. They made a lot of noise, since where I sleep was right on the other side of the glass.

There wasn't any chicks or eggs in the nest, so I decided to take the nest out.

I come home from work, open the curtains to the balcony, and there is blood and feathers everywhere. I looked down, and there is a bloody HEADLESS pigeon. Something had taken its flippin head off! It was like something out of a horror movie.

I still to this day have no idea how it happened. My office was like 'maybe a cat did it'. On the 10 floor of an apartment building?! It might have been crows I guess....

i personally have no bird stories, however the apartment building across from me has a bunch of vents leading to what i believe is the bathroom air conditioning. one of the vent grates has come off and i constantly see birds flying in and out of it.

any day now i'm expecting someone to lean off the balcony and see where all the chirping is coming from.

ant1532

Banned
tnw said:
ugh, this reminds me of a story of mine about pigeons.

Out on the balcony of my apartment (up high on the 10th floor), there is a air conditioner system that was hoisted up on two cinder blocks. there was about a half foot space in there. It's up high, so pigeons would come on to my balcony all the time.

Well, two of them decided to make a nest under the air conditioner. They made a lot of noise, since where I sleep was right on the other side of the glass.

There wasn't any chicks or eggs in the nest, so I decided to take the nest out.

I come home from work, open the curtains to the balcony, and there is blood and feathers everywhere. I looked down, and there is a bloody HEADLESS pigeon. Something had taken its flippin head off! It was like something out of a horror movie.

I still to this day have no idea how it happened. My office was like 'maybe a cat did it'. On the 10 floor of an apartment building?! It might have been crows I guess....
Maybe it flipped out with out it's nest and got caught go crazy in the AC?

Eric WK

There was an Old Man with a beard,
Who said, 'It is just as I feared!
Two Owls and a Hen,
Four Larks and a Wren,
Have all built their nests in my beard!'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom