• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-screen images of Splinter Cell 6 leaked by audio company

DSc

Okay, so they don't tell us much other than confirm that the NVGs are back but these are the first ever images of Splinter Cell 6.

What do you think? Is a revival of old-school Splinter Cell on the cards?

First images of Splinter Cell 6 leaked

An image published by audio product manufacturer Blue Sky has revealed the first ever off-screen images of Splinter Cell 6, revealing that Sam Fisher will be reunited with his trademark night vision goggles.

The shots of the game, which is currently in development at upstart studio Ubisoft Toronto and headed up by Assassin's Creed producer Jade Raymond, show Splinter Cell 6's splash screen and an image of Sam Fisher with his NVGs strapped to his forehead. The word 'Arrow' and letters 'SC6' can also be seen.

You can check out a higher resolution image of the leaked shots by clicking the thumbnail to your left.

The images of the NVGs are the biggest indication yet that Splinter Cell could be returning to its stealth-focussed roots for its next iteration.

The last Splinter Cell game, Splinter Cell: Conviction, caused controversy when it was revealed that the single-player campaign wouldn't feature Sam's iconic equipment, instead replacing the NVGs with Sonar Goggles.

The game also ditched Splinter Cell's traditional stealth approach for a more action-packed adventure, a move criticised by hardcore fans of the series.

Splinter Cell 6 was first announced by Ubisoft last year and is rumoured to be due for release next year. Platforms are still to be announced.

http://www.gamerzines.com/ps3/news/splinter-cell-6-first-images.html

UbiSoft1.jpg

scaqk.jpg

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I hope they go back to the old design for Sam. The thing they coughed up for Conviction didn't match Ironside's voice at all, it was worse than the default Shepard from Mass Effect.

LiK

MMaRsu said:
Finally, the black/white sonar mechanic was ass.

Actually Conviction wasn't a great SC game.

i agree, they sorta got caught up with the whole Dark Knight thing.

jackdoe

Ushojax said:
I hope they go back to the old design for Sam. The thing they coughed up for Conviction didn't match Ironside's voice at all, it was worse than the default Shepard from Mass Effect.
What I've noticed is that as Sam is chronologically supposed to be getting older, his appearance has become younger. No way in hell does he look old enough to have a mid twenty's daughter in Conviction (unless she was born when he was 18).

ultron87

Ushojax said:

Well to match Ironside's voice they'd have to have a model for Sam that looks drunk off his ass all the time.

Pooya

He had those in Conviciton and it's not NVG, more like Bat Vision. looks like placeholder to me, the game must be very early.

clav

Conviction sucked. I expected to play Taken the game, but all I got was exploiting save states due to the frustrating gameplay and level design.

raphier

Banned
Black Arrow is PMC in Conviction and Broken Arrow is a secret code for nuclear bomb mishap.

In other words, booooooooriiiiiiiing.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
ultron87 said:
Well to match Ironside's voice they'd have to have a model for Sam that looks drunk off his ass all the time.

They should probably just re-do the whole character from scratch. I wouldn't care if they chucked out all the stuff from previous games.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
claviertekky said:
Conviction sucked. I expected to play Taken the game, but all I got was exploiting save states due to the frustrating gameplay and level design.

Huh? Conviction was the easiest Splinter Cell ever.

Melee someone, 3 headshot pistol mark. EXECUTE. Melee. EXECUTE. Melee. EXECUTE.

You didn't even need to SEE the person, just throw a mark on them, all red? EXECUTE.

*yawn*

Even the action battles were easy. Melee someone, shoot a few in the head, EXECUTE.

Such a letdown. I really hope they are moving away from the Jason Bourne (WTF that didn't even fucking fit the series in the first damn place) goal they had with Conviction and going back to proper light and shadow stealth gameplay. Otherwise they can fuck off.

I actually loved Conviction. It definitely breathed some new life into the series after Double Agent. Looking forward to see what comes next. I was thinking of playing through Conviction again this summer sometime.

clav

TheSeks said:

You didn't even need to SEE the person, just throw a mark on them, all red? EXECUTE.

*yawn*

Even the action battles were easy. Melee someone, shoot a few in the head, EXECUTE.

Such a letdown. I really hope they are moving away from the Jason Bourne (WTF that didn't even fucking fit the series in the first damn place) goal they had with Conviction and going back to proper light and shadow stealth gameplay. Otherwise they can fuck off.

What you described felt like to me the early parts of the game. Later, I couldn't really exploit that.

I thought Chaos Theory was easier in terms of finding the shadows. This game doesn't utilize it at all.

If the game is Jason Bourne, make it feel so, because my Sam Fisher died a lot.

I had to watch that NSA infiltration blowing up cutscene like 20 times because I couldn't just run up to the guy and kill him. When I was aiming, the guy would eat quite a lot of bullets.

What about the military base? The NSA infiltration (fuck those hard to see laser beams)? The sewers and helicopter? Died so many times there. I really did not like it. I saw the loading save-state screen at least 1/5 of the time playing this game. I can hear that 4 (I think) note tune in fixed Do that plays in the background while the screen loads. D -> Bb -> F -> D. That got burned into my mind playing this game.

I didn't like this game as I thought I would.

jackdoe

TheSeks said:

*yawn*

Completely agree. Died only once on realistic, and that was during the helicopter fight.

Arnie

TheSeks said:

*yawn*

I agree with this post.

cupids_hitman

Neo Member
I've always been a Metal Gear guy, but the Splinter Cell games are still pretty cool (despite the fact that I'm awful at them). Will definitely be checking this out when more info surfaces!

Man, remember stealth games?

They were cool.

I liked it when you hid and didn't kill every single person you met like it was any other game.

thorin

Shake Appeal said:

They were cool.

I liked it when you hid and didn't kill every single person you met like it was any other game.
I remember those... I miss them :(

Okay Ubisoft. Here's what you do.

-You put Sam Fisher in the Lambert role if you absolutely need to keep him. Let the player be a new Splinter Cell agent. Sam's story is basically over.

-Give us nightvision, and shadows that aren't black and white.

-Let us hide bodies.

-You can keep the cover mechanic from Conviction to please the people that don't play the stealth game like a stealth game.

-Let us be able to creep instead of Convictions 'never not running'.

-Give us the option to finish the game without killing anyone.

-Don't make the enemies as foul mouthed as they were in Conviction

-Make it a stealth game.

-Make it a stealth game.

Shake Appeal said:

They were cool.

Yeah that was one of my biggest disappointments with Conviction. I wish that at least in the hunter modes you could also win by going through unnoticed and not kill everyone.

Really liked Conviction. The mechanics were really fun despite not exactly feeling like Splinter Cell.

I'd love to see that style of gameplay in an open world.

tzare

cool. Conviction was nice after i got used to it, so whether it goes back to its roots or it stays like last game, more splinter is welcome.

Grisby

ezekial45 said:
I actually really adored Conviction. If they can expand on that and up the stealth aspects, then I'll be happy.

Right there with you.

Loved Conviction but want a little more difficulty and a few more stealth options. I love how they made it faster though, felt like a panther.

A damn panther!

skyfinch

Think Sam and Grim get it on this time? They should, considering the way she was strutting that sweet ass of hers in front of Sam all through Conviction.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Conviction had it's weaknesses but good god it was fun to play. Loved the co-op - really hope it returns with this sequel.

Angry Fork

I hope you won't be able to do this in SC6.
Fuck Conviction. Slow methodical Stealth > Jason Bourne BS. At least have the decency to change the name if you're going to change everything else.

oubih2.gif

cackhyena

Angry Fork said:
I hope you won't be able to do this in SC6.
Fuck Conviction. Slow methodical Stealth > Jason Bourne BS. At least have the decency to change the name if you're going to change everything else.

oubih2.gif
It's not that I don't agree, but this kind of whining just makes me laugh.

Top Bottom