• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata: Nintendo 2013 R&D Preview [Large Scale Restructure, New Miyamoto Team]

M-PG71C

Namco-Bandai helping doing the labor on HD Smash Bros is by far and away more efficent than letting Sora do it. I didn't know the specfics but I'm not shocked either considering events. Besides, a NB partnership opens up stronger business ties that can only lead to positive things. Its a win-win.

Everything sounds good to me though. Iwata is the single best thing to ever happen to Nintendo, Yamauchi made a very wise decision.

Daschysta

All the info sounds fantastic, the bit about new IP's likely to pop out of Nintendo EAD proper sounds superb! Interested to see if the news of expansion could be the hearken the acquisition (platinum) of a 3rd party developer Nintendo is getting friendly with analogous to adding Monolith as a first party dev last console cycle.

Sakurai at EAD Tokyo would be a dream come true, there is so much talent arleady there, Sakurai would just be the apotheosis of the studio.

All sounds like good news, and hopefully leads to a larger high quality 1st party software output, with both new and established IP. As great as some of their games have been the last 2 gens, I'd love it if the Wii U marked the resurgence of the Nintendo from the SNES/N64 eras. They weren't infallible, of course, but there was a certain "magic" that has only really been felt in the Super Mario Galaxy games as of late. More partnerships like they've done with Platinum would be great as well.

apana

How does a strong Yen figure into their plans for expansion? On one side you can argue that they need to be more focused on Japan but on the other side you could say that the relative strength of the Yen makes it easier for them to expand in the west. Or perhaps I am not analyzing this correctly?

M-PG71C

They need more Western studios.

Too much Japanese hegemony that only continue to serve themselves.

I dunno about that. Nintendo is a Japanese company and I really like the fact that they take pride in that. Japanese companies don't need to be like Western companies. They need to be Japanese and proud of their heritage and what they bring into the industry.

It doesn't hurt to explore and study Western approaches to game design, but it shouldn't be taken as a "Holy Bible" of gaming design. That would be a complete shame.

What they have is fine though (Retro and NST) and they do have partnerships with numerious Western developers. Their core strength needs to be within their own country.

M-PG71C

At this point isn't it just NST and Retro? I have no idea what NST does these days, do they even still exist?

Yep, they do. I think they have done a lot of work with Virtual Console emulation and the whole Mario VS DK series. I think one of the original producers of Sonic the Hedgehog recently joined NST so I do wonder if they are heading a project now...

How does a strong Yen figure into their plans for expansion? On one side you can argue that they need to be more focused on Japan but on the other side you could say that the relative strength of the Yen makes it easier for them to expand in the west. Or perhaps I am not analyzing this correctly?
I don't think its about money with them. They have plenty of it. Its about control and philosophy. Western developers are constantly switching Studios and Nintendo has a talent Pool structure that is very different from the single teams in the west. Retro helping to finish Mario kart 7 is an example of this.

@MUWANdo

Banned
At this point isn't it just NST and Retro? I have no idea what NST does these days, do they even still exist?

The recently-released Crosswords Plus for 3DS is one of their games (and it's terrible!).

Last I heard, Hirokazu Yasuhara (ex-Sonic Team, one of the key players behind Sonic 1-3) recently quit Naughty Dog and joined NST to work on some super-secret project.

spanks

Keeping Shiggy in a managerial role is like keeping a legendary director in a producing role. Maybe we'll finally see some real Miyamoto games after, what, 15 years?

JordanN

Banned
I dunno about that. Nintendo is a Japanese company and I really like the fact that they take pride in that. Japanese companies don't need to be like Western companies. They need to be Japanese and proud of their heritage and what they bring into the industry.

It doesn't hurt to explore and study Western approaches to game design, but it shouldn't be taken as a "Holy Bible" of gaming design. That would be a complete shame.

What they have is fine though (Retro and NST) and they do have partnerships with numerious Western developers. Their core strength needs to be within their own country.
I'm not asking for them to give up their identity. I simply don't like seeing the Western market suffer droughts while the Japanese market flourishes. It also doesn't help that they region lock their shit.

Having a competing Nintendo EAD of Toronto or New York would do wonders for me as a gamer.

Prax

I'm not asking for them to give up their identity. I simply don't like seeing the Western market suffer droughts while the Japanese market flourishes. It also doesn't help that they region lock their shit.

Having a competing Nintendo EAD of Toronto or New York would be amazing and would keep me satisfied as a gamer.
Wouldn't the better solution be to just localize more of their games and at a faster rate? :I

But an EAD Toronto would be cool... because Toronto's cool. And then.. .. I could try to get a job there! //dreams

JordanN

Banned
Wouldn't the better solution be to just localize more of their games and at a faster rate? :I

But an EAD Toronto would be cool... because Toronto's cool. And then.. .. I could try to get a job there! //dreams
Nintendo has some weird policies regarding localization so I wont put too much trust in that. In addition, the same "cultural" barrier holds back what games can be brought here.

A Nintendo focused on the West would have less of those restrictions to put up with.

Isn't this the complete opposite of the current climate, though?
Handheld wise, no.

onilink88

They weren't infallible, of course, but there was a certain "magic" that has only really been felt in the Super Mario Galaxy games as of late.

What is this "magic" qualitative people talk about? How does one go about discerning it? And in what capacity is it missing in offerings that are outside of the Galaxy games?

Neo C.

It's a longterm investment. The Yen could drop noticeably in the next few years. And to me, it seems like Nintendo (Iwata) hasn't figured out a good longterm strategy for western development yet.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Now, forgive me if I'm misunderstanding you, but even after this supposed restructure, they're not going to be any less reliant on Mario/Zelda/whatever else.

Like it matters. My favourite Nintendo franchise is Animal Crossing.

Prax

Nintendo has some weird policies regarding localization so I wont put too much trust in that. In addition, the same "cultural" barrier holds back what games can be brought here.

A Nintendo focused on the homeland would have less restrictions to put up with.

Handheld wise, no.

Yeah, but I want my Fire Emblems localized faster. And released here (FE12...).
I am not really interested in Nintendo making more western-catered games like shooters and.. .. ?? sports games? They are awesome at what they do and should continue doing it. They should just bring more of it over.

They can open up new localization studios here instead, which can provide budget/quick localization for those quirky "too Japanese" games. Not that I am against Nintendo opening up another western branch or something, but I'd rather them focus on bringing other games over first.

It's a longterm investment. The Yen could drop noticeably in the next few years. And to me, it seems like Nintendo (Iwata) hasn't figure out a good longterm strategy for western development yet.

That's what Ken Lobb used to be there for. Shame they don't have another person like him to take some charge in western studio development. Though maybe they could even invest in a European studio... lots of good talent in places like Finland and such.

Yep, they do. I think they have done a lot of work with Virtual Console emulation and the whole Mario VS DK series. I think one of the original producers of Sonic the Hedgehog recently joined NST so I do wonder if they are heading a project now...

Looking at their current list they seem to be doing DSI Ware/ 3DS duty now. It will be interesting to see what Hirokazu Yasuhara can bring to the table for that studio.

Gaspode_T

I thought the huge building I drive by in Kyoto all the time they have been constructing for last 4 or 5 years was a factory but it sounds like maybe it is an engineering center?? Cool to see them expand software development if they hire more people and pay them well they could probably get the cream of the crop

onilink88

Like it matters. My favourite Nintendo franchise is Animal Crossing.

Okay. That's nice. Not sure in what manner it addresses what I said, though. Maybe I wasn't clear? Alright, let me take another crack at this: Mario and co. will keep on being made after this change, and people will continue to criticize them for milking/rehashing their properties. That's not going to change.

Sheroking

Always thought they should expand and develop more internally. God knows the quest for third parties never seems to come through, might as well
double the first party output.

Something that only people in Toronto actually believe.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Handheld wise, no.

The lack of western-developed handheld games isn't symptomatic of any particular Nintendo strategy, it's a reflection of the fact that handhelds are much more popular and enjoy a higher status in Japan that they do elsewhere.

What is this "magic" qualitative people talk about? How does one go about discerning it? And in what capacity is it missing in offerings that are outside of the Galaxy games?

Ill translate his post, though, im not an expert... from what im reading he either wanted Skyward Sword to be more "gritty", or couldnt figure out how to work the wiimote. Someone might want to step in with a better translation but thats what i got.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Okay. That's nice. Not sure in what manner it addresses what I said, though. Maybe I wasn't clear? Alright, let me take another crack at this: Mario and co. will keep on being made after this change, and people will continue to criticize them for milking/rehashing their properties. That's not going to change.

If Nintendo continue to make the same Mario & Zelda games and people continue to criticize Mario & Zelda for the stereotypical reasons then let them. The noise will always come.

They need more Western studios.

There's too much Japanese hegemony that only continue to serve themselves.

Throw some of that wii-fit/NSMB/future nintendoland-money towards Retro, let them establish two teams. One that does the old Nintendo IPs and one working on a high budget original IP. Watch America and Europe fall like Japan before it.

Your sources are the articles from April right? Which is why you didn't link them.
Why people keep listening to your speculation as news, let alone fact, is beyond me.

I'm not sure if you're serious but I think Nintendo is the only company that could actually pull that off.

I am half serious. I don't think they should give up trying to encourage 3rd parties to be on their platform but i think they should keep expanding their 1st party. It's the only way to guarantee success for your console before launch.

Prax

All of these changes are pretty exciting, if only because it means we can expect a lot of new different things for WiiU and 3DS. I am especially interested in what a non-Miyaomoto-led EAD will come up with. My not so secret hope is for more heroines somehow to come out of this. Like a make a Zelda-ish game, except with a female and slightly different focus. More on magic combat than sword combat? Something like that.

Always thought they should expand and develop more internally. God knows the quest for third parties never seems to come through, might as well
double the first party output.

Something that only people in Toronto actually believe.

You are just jealous that you don't live here. Then you would understand!

JordanN

Banned
The lack of western-developed handheld games isn't symptomatic of any particular Nintendo strategy, it's a reflection of the fact that handhelds are much more popular and enjoy a higher status in Japan that they do elsewhere.
You're right but this isn't what I'm hinting at though. Unless the West gets some compensation for the games not localized, the drought becomes a Western specific problem simply because in addition to no third party, there isn't a first party backing it either.

watershed

Banned
Sounds great. I love the Idea of Miyamoto working with a new, smaller team to make smaller, new games and having veterans of other Japanese powerhouse studios joining Nintendo in Tokyo.

Seems like they are going for the kill. They are basically saying FU to third party entities it seems and at the same time enticing developers to come and join the family. Good luck to them! Definitely seems that they feel a shift in the industry coming, and they are tired of relying on other companies for support or lack there of.

+ Miyamoto's Departure Inspiring New IPs for the EAD Kyoto Division

Source: Guardian UK. Nikkei. Wired.

I understand this... new IPs are necessary and good for both Nintendo and us but I feel sad inside knowing this.

I have so much respect for the awesome man he is. I really hope he won't stay here too long if he doesn't have the chance to make things he actually likes and things WE also like.

Please Nintendo make something very very special when he leaves.

Also almost only good news here for Nintendo organization.

Top Bottom