• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS system update incoming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikatapi

From Emily Rogers' twitter:

You may want to check your 3DS around 5pm PDT today https://twitter.com/Emi1yRogers/status/346659148290723840

Can't get into specifics but some kind of firmware update at 5pm PDT. Don't hype yourself.RT "@bjwanlund What exactly are we checking for?"
https://twitter.com/Emi1yRogers/status/346663470105776128

Just to clarify, Europeans and JP will benefit from this update more than NA. NA people will have to wait a little longer for this stuff.
https://twitter.com/Emi1yRogers/status/346671013033025536

So let's speculate, what kind of update is coming?Maybe some added functionality?

Kade

What sort of update would European and Japanese region 3DSes benefit more from than North American ones?

GulAtiCa

If Europe and Japan benefit more than North America, it must surely involve Streetpass?

Wouldn't that sort of thing be more beneficial for North America & Europe then Japan? Since Japan doesn't really need any help in this sort of thing

DaBoss

Hmm, hope it brings something nice.

If Europe and Japan benefit more than North America, it must surely involve Streetpass?

Japan is perfectly fine with StreetPass. NA and Europe are the ones that would require attention to StreetPass.

ngower

Wouldn't that sort of thing be more beneficial for North America & Europe then Japan? Since Japan doesn't really need any help in this sort of thing

My assumption is that it builds on Streespass's existing infrastructure, i.e. adds something to Streetpass rather than broadening Stresspass' reach (i.e. the McDonalds hotspot thing), which would benefit places where Streetpass is thriving, or, Europe and Japan.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
If we're not suppose to hype ourselves up, I wonder if it's just some fixes of some sort. Not gonna expect an additional feature or something.

Full account system confirmed, introduction of weekly sales that make the Steam holiday sale look like a moneygrab, Zelda Two Worlds Demo, Miiverse with up to 4 hours of video recording in 3D confirmed.

If any of those isn't there, it will be a total failure.

What it really is going to be is: Security updates and streetpass/spotpass preparations.

GulAtiCa

who is she again? and has she ever been right before?

She helps out indies by getting them in touch with NOA, a good portion of the indies now in development via Wii U eShop is thanks to her in some way.

But, she also was right on a few things, like YouTube coming to Wii.

nikatapi

If we're not suppose to hype ourselves up, I wonder if it's just some fixes of some sort. Not gonna expect an additional feature or something.

Well it wouldn't make sense to say that some regions would benefit more than others, if it was only about some fixes. So maybe a little added functionality is coming, probably something streetpass related as others have said.

Too bad they said that the streetpass enhancement will be used via the free internet spots that are available for 3DS, it would be great if it was expanded to work a bit like spotpass, where we could get streetpass hits for people who are going online in "near" areas.

OnPoint

For a second there I thought it said 3DO update haha

I'll have to update it tonight, but I'm going on a trip tomorrow. If it bricks, I swear to god...

losername

Banned
Maybe this is tied into the Animal Crossing Best Buy promotion and configures the system to receive the gifts from specific stores/access points in UK/Japanese chain stores?

Somnid

Well it wouldn't make sense to say that some regions would benefit more than others, if it was only about some fixes. So maybe a little added functionality is coming, probably something streetpass related as others have said.

Too bad they said that the streetpass enhancement will be used via the free internet spots that are available for 3DS, it would be great if it was expanded to work a bit like spotpass, where we could get streetpass hits for people who are going online in "near" areas.

The whole point of Street Pass is to incentivise you to take your 3DS with you so this isn't the direction they want but also "near" areas is essentially the same thing as Street Pass as it currently exists. If someone is using their 3DS close to you it's likely going to Street Pass, the problem is about centralization.

Though if they ever upgrade the 3DS or successor with a GPS chip I think it would be cool to have a concept of "Geopass."

Daedardus

But she just says NA will have to wait a little longer. This implies some kind of service that still needs to be set up, and seeing as NOA is always a month late this year, that could explain why EU and JP benefit more.

nikatapi

The whole point of Street Pass is to incentivise you to take your 3DS with you so this isn't the direction they want but also "near" areas is essentially the same thing as Street Pass as it currently exists. If someone is using their 3DS close to you it's likely going to Street Pass, the problem is about centralization.

Though if they ever upgrade the 3DS or successor with a GPS chip I think it would be cool to have a concept of "Geopass."

Yeah you're right, i just think that there are places that there are very few 3ds owners and there aren't any wifi spots for 3DS, so streetpass is becoming a useless feature it this case. I've been a 3DS owner for over a year, and i've only had 1 streetpass hit. So maybe there could be a change in how streetpass works, even in areas with a few 3DS owners.

Sorry for the offtopic.

Cbajd5

I BLAME NINTENDO OF AMERICA EVEN IF THIS IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

why do you need to delay everything good

cut that out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom