• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Great British Bake Off [BBC1]

wow8bs45.gif

I watch the show for Sue and Sue alone. With that said I think Frances is my favourite this year, I'll take her quirkiness over Ruby's moping and Kimberly's confidence. Also she makes the best looking takes on a TV show where all I can do is look at cakes.

Fuck Ruby. Hate that false-modesty crap she does to lower expectation levels for the crap that she bakes.

The other two finalists are much, much better than her and have been throughout the competition. If Ruby wins it will be because Paul Hollywood wants to do her.

Fuck Ruby. Hate that false-modesty crap she does to lower expectation levels for the crap that she bakes.

The other two finalists are much, much better than her and have been throughout the competition. If Ruby wins it will be because Paul Hollywood wants to do her.

tumblr_mtr5iyt5N81si0x8po1_400.gif

Not at all surprised at her being a former model.

I fucking love this show.
Sorry I didn't see the OT sooner :(
I really like Frances the most, everything she bakes looks amazing, but I don't think she'll win, because she's iffy on the flavours. Kimberley will probably win cos shes been really consistent.

My mum hates Sue and Mel but I think they're awesome.

Gibbo

Money is on Kimberly to win it. Ruby cracks under pressure, and Frances will probably go all out on style at the expense of substance again.

Gowans

The only show more British than the Bake Off was that fucking British Sewing Contest show.

was amazing btw, watched all of it. The master sewing guy was so dreamy

I'm on a mission to hunt this down, it's fell off the iPlayer.

BluWacky

I am obsessed with this show. But then I'm obsessed with baking, so that's not a huge surprise. I get so into it it's unreal. I was so smug to watch them temper chocolate with thermometers when I know how to do it without one... Normally I can't stand reality competitions etc. but I was shouting at the telly when that girl made the boring looking loaf of bread with three tomatoes on top a few weeks back!

Last episode with the opera cakes was like heaven to me - I've only ever made one once and although it tasted great I am shit at presentation, so every time they come up with these incredible looking cakes I am so jelly.

Kimberley should win, but I want Frances to because her cakes always look so incredible. Ruby doesn't need to win - she should go off, get her degree, and then make amazing bread etc.!

Gowans

Yeah they gave her a tonne of warning on that Tomato loaf.

I was also sad to see Howard go but he was so lucky to get so far.

So for the final on Tues it's wedding cakes right?

Wow all the series are available on iTunes YES! ;)

V_Ben

Banned
Yeah they gave her a tonne of warning on that Tomato loaf.

I was also sad to see Howard go but he was so lucky to get so far.

So for the final on Tues it's wedding cakes right?

Wow all the series are available on iTunes YES! ;)

Oh gosh, it's all on iTunes? Eek, there goes all the plans I had for today.

One of the best shows on television. A baking reality show? That's all the great things in life, pulsed until fine.

kiyomi

My only disappointment is that this thread wasn't made a month or two ago.

My mum hates Sue and Mel but I think they're awesome.

They're great! They're so cheesy and over the top with their baking puns and stuff when doing a piece to camera, and they narrate in a pretty normal way when the hot baking action starts.

Your mum sucks, basically. You can tell her I said that. So nyuh.

Gibbo

Really love the sue and mel as well. I cracked up when they started speaking french during the introduction to the technical vhallenge last week

Mastadon

Banned
Ruby doesn't deserve hostility

The Guardian said:

This is serious culinary business, and the judges and bakers never forget that. Harsh, then, that so much coverage has focused on the most negative reactions to the most competitive person in the competition, with journalists on tabloids and broadsheets across our great baking nation preheating their laptops to ask the critical question: why do people hate finalist Ruby Tandoh so much?

Tandoh – a 21-year-old student who has shown both exceptional talent and a punishing streak of self-deprecation from episode one – has been accused of being too weepy, of false modesty, of scraping by on her looks, of flirting and so on. And whatever jibe a hack would like to make, there's always some obliging sniper on Twitter to offer a quotable chunk of unpleasantness.

Here's why I think people are so free with their dislike of Tandoh: because they follow the same narrative the media does, and they know that when a woman does well, step number two is always to give her a pummelling. Leave your high-achieving female in a warm place to prove, and once well-risen, knock her back with both fists. And Tandoh has committed the terrible crime of caring visibly about the competition, when it's widely agreed that women are silly things and baking is a silly, woman-y thing. Imagine crying about the consistency of the mousse in your Charlotte royale!

Well, imagine it. Imagine doing something and caring sufficiently about the outcome that it could move you to tears of self-reproach and frustration if it goes wrong. Imagine doing the thing you love most in the world and presenting it to world-class experts for judgment, and them finding it wanting – and knowing yourself that it wasn't good enough. Most of us, most of the time, live lives where good enough is more than enough. Most jobs don't ask for any particular skill beyond showing up, and much expertise is viewed with suspicion in a silly, slapdash world where the term "gatekeeper" is waved about like the lowest possible term of abuse.

Week after week, the Bake Off sifted away the less-than-excellent. The bakers who didn't appreciate that techniques are there to be followed fell away, as did the bakers who could imitate but not invent, until only the very best were left. The other two finalists might not be as demonstrative as Tandoh – Kimberley Wilson and Frances Quinn are more likely to allow themselves a quietly bitten lip or a triumphant smile, and still get called smug for their efforts – but their standards are just as exacting. In fact, show me a skilled baker who isn't a perfectionist, and I will show you my lumpy scones: caring almost to the point of derangement about your creme patissiere is the whole point of Bake Off. Tandoh's tears are part of the reason the Bake Off is legitimately great, and anyone who's missed that doesn't even deserve cake.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think people don't necessarily have it in for Ruby but more the fact that Paul 'Ollywood is basically in love with her.

Dabanton

I was forced to watch this by the missus but have come to actually enjoy it.

The whole Ruby/Paul Hollywood thing is very sleazy tittle tattle. I think his more in love with the cooking.

If were going that way we may as well say That Mary Berry has a wide on for Kimberley. They simply love that their both very good technically.

Dear me, she just comes across as incredibly..cold, I can imagine shagging her would be a very clinical experience, probably with an agreed set time and date circled in the calender, in between doing the washing up and the latest episode of Downton Abbey, to her spontaneity would be a new fragrance or something.

..or am I reading too much into a 2 second gif?

:))

I enjoy this when I remember to watch it. Didn't realise there was so much Ruby hate! Seems a rather extreme reaction to such a pleasant show. Probably Paul's fault, and a bit of jealousy.

FryHole

What a predictably tedious piece that Guardian article is (and the Graun liveblog of the show sticks the boot into Ruby with gusto, incidentally). Facts are these; she's very pretty, she's very talented, she's a compete wet blanket, Beca should still be there because I liked her, Frances to win.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I love this show!
I want Ruby to win I only came to this decision a couple of weeks ago because the scientist guy I was rooting for got knocked out, however I think Kimberly may take the victory in the end. Also Frances is a cunt.

Also Mel > Sue. Did anyone every watch the Vet Sitcom Sue came up with last year? Was absolutely awful!

kharma45

I love this show!
I want Ruby to win I only came to this decision a couple of weeks ago because the scientist guy I was rooting for got knocked out, however I think Kimberly may take the victory in the end. Also Frances is a cunt.

Also Mel > Sue. Did anyone every watch the Vet Sitcom Sue came up with last year? Was absolutely awful!

Wow, a bit strong no? I feel she shouldn't have got this far but I wouldn't describe her as that. She perfectly nice if just a bit thick.

Top Bottom