• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Registers "Wipeout Trinity" (also, Wipeout 2048 too!)

V_Ben

Banned
http://playstation.systemlink.me/2011/05/sony-planning-new-wipeout-game-titled.html

It's been nearly 3 years since the last full Wipeout game was released, and 2 years since the Fury expansion pack launched, yet SystemLink has found some evidence which suggests a new Wipeout game may be in the pipeline, and it may be called Trinity. Full details below.

Towards the end of November 2010, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe registered the following domain; WipeoutTrinity.com. The full Whois record for the domain can be found here. Registering a web domain is a step a studio can take when developing a new game to ensure no one else accidentally registers that domain, and it could possibly indicate the title of the new game.

What's interesting is that unlike some other domain registrations (like the ones for Grand Theft Auto 6), which direct you to a search engine or a placeholder website, if you visit WipeoutTrinity.com it redirects you straight to the Official PlayStation site. (Try it for yourself and see!)

It's unclear from this information quite what Wipeout Trinity is. Could it be a new game in the series for the PlayStation 3? Maybe it's a HD collection of three previous Wipeout games? Or maybe it's the title of the rumoured NGP Wipeout game?

I personally am not so sure that it's the name of the NGP version, given that the retail source which originally leaked the game called it Wipeout 2048, and Sony did register a domain for Wipeout2048.com in April 2011, as seen here.

http://whois.domaintools.com/wipeouttrinity.com

http://whois.domaintools.com/wipeout2048.com

Ooh, shiny. OH MAN GIMME.

...God, E3 is going to be spectacular.

YESSSSS! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Ideally this'd be a totally new game, of course.

Could also be a second expansion to Wipeout HD with the rest of the Pure/Pulse tracks and a full disc release of the whole collection in all regions this time.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
fucking yes please, best racing series ever

I probably wont get a PSP2 so a next Wipeout on PS3 would be delightful. I don't know how they can top HD&FURY but I'd like to see them try.

SykoTech

Interesting. Two WipEout games, maybe? I'd love a follow up to HD, or even another Fury-like expansion. That was probably the best DLC I've bought this gen (sorry LBP).

BeeDog

I doubt it's for the PS3, but I truly, truly wish for it to be for it since I'm not much of a handheld gamer.

The fact that it appears to be set in 2048 could suggest that it's a completely new title instead of series of upgraded old tracks. 2048 would place it as the earliest game in the series (the original WO took place in 2052).

V_Ben

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
The fact that it appears to be set in 2048 could suggest that it's a completely new title instead of series of upgraded old tracks. 2048 would place it as the earliest game in the series (the original WO took place in 2052).

Or... under construction versions of tracks :p Before they had ironed out the kinks! ;)

AAK

Wipeout HD is one of my most played games, the ONLY other racing games I've enjoyed are Burnout 3 and Crash Team Racing.

But I still have no idea how some of you guys managed to beat The entire elite campaign with gold medals. Beat Zico and Zone Zues seem hard enough, but elite campaign legend.... Damn.

eh except for the NGP version we already know about i'm not gonna hype myself for anything else. remember that other thread about a name sony registered :(.

V_Ben said:
Or... under construction versions of tracks :p Before they had ironed out the kinks! ;)

That would be awesome. Tons of creepy jumps, lots of gaps in the tracks, boost pads that occasionally malfunction and cause explosions etc.

Oppo

I'm so happy they are continuing the series. It's my favourite game series in the history of time.

I don't see how they could expand on Wipeout HD without tech upgrades (cough PS4), so I'd prefer they hold off on a new console game until the next console when there are substantial upgrades available.

NGP Wipeout sounds great though.

Have to still get the Wipeout HD Platinum however...dammit.

V_Ben

Banned
Galvanise_ said:
That would be awesome. Tons of creepy jumps, lots of gaps in the tracks, boost pads that occasionally malfunction and cause explosions etc.

Yep :D Also, parts that they decided were too dangerous, and changed before the original Wipeout took place :p

jetsetfluken said:
I don't see how they could expand on Wipeout HD without tech upgrades (cough PS4), so I'd prefer they hold off on a new console game until the next console when there are substantial upgrades available.

NGP Wipeout sounds great though.

Have to still get the Wipeout HD Platinum however...dammit.
Good luck...

SykoTech

AAK said:
But I still have no idea how some of you guys managed to beat The entire elite campaign with gold medals. Beat Zico and Zone Zues seem hard enough, but elite campaign legend.... Damn.

It took a lot of time and maybe even more luck, but I managed to do it one stage at a time. Felt so good when it was over. Never did do Zone Zeus and Beat Zico though. I always get fustrated and quit on those.

Oh wait, that was Arcade Perfect I'm thinking about. Ha. I think I only managed to get halfway through the campaign before I said screw it. Should start back up one of these days.

test_account said:
WipeOut 2048, double HD?!

Sounds more like a series prequel to me if such things exist in the racing genre.

2048 would be just 2 years before the official f3600 championships started, so it might make sense(?). Could even have more of a unofficial street racing vibe, in a hopefully-not-terrible way.
Edit: beaten-ish.

onQ123

the same website that 1st leaked the Wipeout 2048 name as a launch game for NGP also leaked the info about the Uncharted NGP game using the camera to shine light in the game.

PjotrStroganov said:
It'll stay a niche game. An overhauled lobby system would probably help though.
The biggest way to help it would be a disc release in all territories, honestly, at a $40 price point but with actual promotion and advertising.

test_account

XP-39C²
Opus Angelorum said:
PS4 launch title confirmed!
:D

Graphics Horse said:
Sounds more like a series prequel to me if such things exist in the racing genre.

2048 would be just 2 years before the official f3600 championships started, so it might make sense(?). Could even have more of a unofficial street racing vibe, in a hopefully-not-terrible way.
Edit: beaten-ish.
Ah ok, i see. I havnt really followed the different WipeOut games. The one for PS3 was one of the first that i took the time to play (i have tried some of the previous WipeOut games, but i never played them that much).

Top Bottom