• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall to have seamless server updates with minimal to zero player interruption.

statham

During our small Closed Alpha, we rolled out 3 new server builds and completely moved players from one build to the next without interrupting gameplay. Players never noticed a difference (other than some bugs went away).

We will definitely be rolling out new server builds to fix issues that we find. Not every issue can be patched entirely on the server, and so some fixes will require a client patch. But new server builds are definitely something we will be doing.

Seamless updates are due to the stuff we've written. The fact that we can somewhat-easily deploy new builds on Azure is due to the Xbox Live Compute team's hard work. This is an area that we've been working on with them for some time now. We originally told them that no-cert, fast server updates were a requirement for us, and they made that happen.
http://unionvgf.com/index.php?threa...ith-minimal-to-zero-player-interruption.2840/

antitrop

This is pretty cool. So if I'm reading it right, they can roll out balance updates immediately, without having to wait for a patch?

vocab

So restarting the server or updating during a map change. Got it. Don't talk like your cutting edge. It's the source engine. We know what to expect.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
So restarting the server. Got it. Don't talk like your cutting edge. It's the source engine. We know what to expect.

Umm no restarting the server would eventually require you to be kicked off. This is more like mmo's patching while playing.

Dibbz

Don't a few multiplayer games now use some swanky server based trickery to get the players updates?

I know Killzone is able to make changes and balance tweaks on their end without needing to patch the game, though any significant change on the client side has to be patched. I'm certain Battlefield also had something similar with weapon stats updating server side or something.

Good news anyway but from the Alpha there were a few occasions where the player was sat paused whilst the host changed over mid game. Hope they sorted that out.

antitrop

It's EA. Just wait lol. Don't get too excited.
IY9QlAD.jpg

JaggedSac

This isn't just configuration and balance changes they are talking about. But the actual game code running on the servers. AI code fixes, etc.

Nice to hear that they convinced the Live team to allow no certs in server installs. Also funny that they say "somewhat easy" to deploy new builds with Azure.

Leb

"EA" and "seamless server operations..."

Sure, if you haven't been paying attention the last year.

Sulik2

I think poeple are confused, on Xbox One Titanfall is running completely in Microsoft's Azure cloud. EA has nothing to do with it. On PC and 360 it will be on EA servers and likey have a whole bunch of problems. But Azue is a very powerful platform and will enable all kinds of cool dedicated server tricks, like 0 interruption patching for games that host in them.

Leb

Titanfall runs on Microsoft's Azure servers on all platforms.

Hopefully far more stable than EA's shit.

Unless I substantially misapprehended the nature of MS's service, I gathered that Azure was rather like EC2, where they provide the capacity and infrastructure, but all the operational details are left to you.

In which case... EA is going to EA.

statham

I think poeple are confused, on Xbox One Titanfall is running completely in Microsoft's Azure cloud. EA has nothing to do with it. On PC and 360 it will be on EA servers and likey have a whole bunch of problems. But Azue is a very powerful platform and will enable all kinds of cool dedicated server tricks, like 0 interruption patching for games that host in them.
Titanfall uses the Xbox Live Cloud to run dedicated servers for PC, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.
http://www.respawn.com/news/lets-talk-about-the-xbox-live-cloud/

Nokterian

Unless I substantially misapprehended the nature of MS's service, I gathered that Azure was rather like EC2, where they provide the capacity and infrastructure, but all the operational details are left to you.

In which case... EA is going to EA.

It's all on Azure servers from Microsoft. EA has nothing to do with it.

Grief.exe

I think you are confused.

360 and PC will use Azure servers as well.

http://www.respawn.com/news/lets-talk-about-the-xbox-live-cloud/

sflufan

Banned

No, I'm afraid you're the one who is confused ;p

Respawn has stated that ALL versions of Titanfall - XBOne, PC, and 360 -- will be running on the MS Azure server platform.

Leb

It's all on Azure servers from Microsoft. EA has nothing to do with it.

Well, that's almost certainly incorrect. Unless this is some magically different version of Azure, we're dealing with VMs hosted in the cloud, in which case, obviously, EA is going to be the ones administering/operating the actual servers within the VMs.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
This is pretty cool. So if I'm reading it right, they can roll out balance updates immediately, without having to wait for a patch?

Good, I see you got the memo on this years buzz words. :p

I look forward to seeing if this actually works as stated.

Top Bottom