• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns Review Thread

kunonabi

Oh snap we got Sequence Breaking in too (ones that the dev team likely knows about)?

That's rad.

Hopefully they're actual sequence breaks and not just planned alternate paths. Its mercury steam so it shouldnt really be a stretch to see legit breaks.

Is this a good game? It looks like an axiom verge or another metrovania clone.

Does anyone know which game started metrovania genre? It's probably a city game bc of the history of where they came from.... metro + vania = urban environment trapped in a maze like castle. I know there's 1st person clones too but they're prime fake.

I'd rather play a game that is not a fusion of genres and my mission is zero tolerance towards clones. I want to play the original series remade that's more like a sequel.

preta

Does anyone know which game started metrovania genre? It's probably a city game bc of the history of where they came from.... metro + vania = urban environment trapped in a maze like castle. I know there's 1st person clones too but they're prime fake.

I'd rather play a game that is not a fusion of genres and my mission is zero tolerance towards clones. I want to play the original series remade that's more like a sequel.

lol

I believe the origin is Shadow Complex which is a 2D adaptation of Metro 2033.

nickerous

Just as long as they dont try to remake Super Metroid. That one is perfect as is.

If we cant go forward from Fusion, give me a 2D Prime remake.

hawk2025

Thoroughly impressive -- a Mercury Steam game now has the same MC score as Ori :)

I have to say, I completely underestimated them.

RagnarokX

Castlevania means "Castle Forest." They stole the idea from Sonic 4's Sylvania Castle Zone.

K8QQtK6.jpg

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Thoroughly impressive -- a Mercury Steam game now has the same MC score as Ori :)

I have to say, I completely underestimated them.

it should have been obvious they had the talent with lords of shadow they just needed better direction. Which LoS2 most certainly didnt get

Haines

Banned
Im going to wait for this to go on a good sale. 3ds is too old of a system. I cant be bothered to play on that screen. Maybe half price.

Hopefully they're actual sequence breaks and not just planned alternate paths. Its mercury steam so it shouldnt really be a stretch to see legit breaks.

I recall there were some complaints about Zero Mission regarding sequence breaks since there were alternate paths very intentionally placed in that allowed you to play the game out of order. This was new to the series, since every other Metroid requires glitches or tricks to do this.

Sequence breaks have to "break" something about the intended flow of play. Anything intentionally included by the dev would be an alternate path.

Astral Dog

its THE original Metroidvania series, of course its good:)

Neff

Holy god this game's music is incredible.

Glad MercurySteam didn't screw this one up. Hope they continue to improve from here as a dev.

I've been impressed with them since Lords of Shadow, which I think to this day is sadly underrated. They faltered with their subsequent Castlevania projects (although they had their moments), but Samus Returns represents them at their best, in addition to the guiding hand and ludicrously high standards of Nintendo. It really is a solid match.

So many memories playing Metroidvania 1. I fondly remember being blown away by Samus Belmont slaying Mother Bracula for the first time.

Great to hear all of this positive buzz. Hoping to get this and Hey! Pikmin in the coming months.

In contrast to the current "Why not Switch?" sentiment, I am relatively new to the 3DS realm and loving this high season of gaming goodness.

I am hoping Nintendo has some more 3DS goodness to announce this week.

Edit: Oh wait, possible announcements in the very near future ... Didn't realize Direct was arriving so soon.

There's no dpad control, which honestly worries me a bit since using a control stick / nub is never good for 2D games

ffffffffffff

Dammit. I think I'm gonna have to skip this. It's a shame they don't make demos for this kind of game, usually, because it would help make my decision. if it's nub only control I'm out pretty hard.

RagnarokX

So many memories playing Metroidvania 1. I fondly remember being blown away by Samus Belmont slaying Mother Bracula for the first time.

Actually that was a mistranslation. It was supposed to be Mother Blacula, a callback to the original vampire. It was originally meant to be an unlicensed prequel to the classic film, but went its own way when Orion threatened to sue.

Ashby

No d-pad control fucking sucks to hear.

Tell me about it. My Circle Pad sticks and I have to constantly pull it upward to get it to glide smoothly again. I'm hoping some WD-40 will save my ass because Metroid may be my favorite series but I'm not buying a whole new 3DS to play this damn game.

JoeInky

This was made from the ground up with the 3DS and its control stick in mind. I'm sure movement itself will be fine.

Eh, it's ok, not great.

Going into morphball mode always felt bad with a stick to me, double tapping down on a dpad just feels more natural than doing that motion with the slidepad.

Eh, it's ok, not great.

Going into morphball mode always felt bad with a stick to me, double tapping down on a dpad just feels more natural than doing that motion with the slidepad.

Now that you mentioned it, going into Morph Ball mode does sound awkward. Is the D-Pad used for something else?

oon

Banned
ffffffffffff

Dammit. I think I'm gonna have to skip this. It's a shame they don't make demos for this kind of game, usually, because it would help make my decision. if it's nub only control I'm out pretty hard.

The game is designed for 360-degree aiming, d-pad wouldn't work for that.

giphy.gif

Atrarock

Now that you mentioned it, going into Morph Ball mode does sound awkward. Is the D-Pad used for something else?
You can also quickly tap the touch screen to go into morph ball mode instantly. Considering your thumb is mere centimeters away from buttons to touch screen, it should work out fine in that regard.

Tell me about it. My Circle Pad sticks and I have to constantly pull it upward to get it to glide smoothly again. I'm hoping some WD-40 will save my ass because Metroid may be my favorite series but I'm not buying a whole new 3DS to play this damn game.

Don't you dare actually use WD-40! Use some vaseline (I'm not kidding) or a silicon lubricant.

giphy.gif

That's what I was afraid of when I saw the 360 aiming. That or they'd do something even more horrific and use the touchscreen.

Either way, I just can't. I'd be fine with not having 360 aiming if it means I can use the dpad. I'd make it work. Like, if you can use the dpad to move normally but then when you hold L and do 360 aiming with the nub, that would be fine.

giphy.gif

The 360 degree aiming is one of the things I'm looking forward to most, actually. Looks really slick in the gameplay vids. From most who have played it, it doesn't sound like the controls are a problem at all.

Astral Dog

i always felt MercurySteam had the potential to be better than Ninja Theory talented fellas if only they had better managment

Szadek

Nice nice, but because of the stupid amibo, the game isn't very high on my priority list.
Maybe I buy it in a few months, unless I stop caring until then like I did with RE7.

Crispy

Been playing for a few hours now. I like the game a lot, but wish there was a way to customize the controls. Aiming while keeping the L-button pushed feels awkward. I'd really like to map aiming to the R button, which would feel much more natural to me.

Been playing for a few hours now. I like the game a lot, but wish there was a way to customize the controls. Aiming while keeping the L-button pushed feels awkward. I'd really like to map aiming to the R button, which would feel much more natural to me.

What is R mapped to by default? Not customizing the controls already sounds bad on top of a bad time.

Feffe

Some souls full of dark thoughts often think about that. If you can't find peace, I suggest listening to a symphony in the night or ammiring the nature and its story, like in a cave or a wood.

Anyway, you might appreciate the third one, it's a super game.

BizzyBum

I pretty much gave my brother my New 3DS XL but I just purchased a refurbished regular New 3DS from the Nintendo Store and have this pre-ordered on Amazon!

D.Lo

Koji Igarashi invented it, he has said so in many interviews. I know it's confusing because he later removed all the original Metroid games from the timeline along with all the Castlevania games he could get away with, meaning that he now invented Metroid And Castlevania as well. Zero Mission was a complete ripoff of his GBA Masterpiece Harmony of Dissonance.

Got my shipping notice from Best Buy today, so I should have my copy tomorrow! This the third preorder Best Buy has shipped early for me this year, I feel really lucky.

CHC

Super Meteoroid Prime was the first one

kadotsu

Banned
Got the game just now. Apart from not being able to chain wall jumps on a single wall SM style the controls are perfect. On par or better than Fusion/Zero Mission.

Top Bottom