• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Full length Halo movie produced by Ridley Scott in the works

bidguy

Banned
close please didnt see the thread in offtopic

as Production Weekly seems to have let the cat out of the bag regarding an Untitled Halo Project which is said to be produced by Alien and Prometheus director Ridley Scott and written by Paul Scheuring.

qK4EqHU.png

www.scified.com/news/1436

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I've been waiting on this movie for almost a decade.
In the span of time from the original Halo movie announcement until these rumors, I started and finished college, got married and divorced, funded a company and tanked it, got a new job and became successful.
When people wonder why Halo is dying, the answer is simple: the fan base grew up. We just cannot put fucking 10 hours a week to play a competitive game and get shredded online by children without a care in the world.
I want to watch this movie, I want to enjoy Halo again without the stress of playing it.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I would rather have producer Peter Jackson and director Neill Blomkamp back on the job. I know Jackson is busy for the next year with The Hobbit, but please do not screw this up.

Sinfamy

If Master Chef takes off his helment so the actor's face can get screen time, the movie is dead to me.

Dredd showed it can be done, and done well.

Zabant

You know what, I was about to bring up this exact point, but you convinced me.

HOWEVER, john would need a companion (like dredd had) you COULD see and fill in for the aspects that are missed by a faceless soldier

Skeff

This seems like it could be too much, Game/TV Series and Movie when interest in the franchise has dwindled slightly over the past couple of releases. It's still obviously a very popular franchise but Video game movies and TV shows are hard to make and a bad one can negatively impact the series. Seems like a big gamble Microsoft are making.

Jawmuncher

I'm ok with Ridley Scott personally. Since he'll be producing. Will be interesting to see who they grab to direct. Would have liked Neil Blomkampf but after Elysium I want someone else.

Zabant

Would have liked Neil Blomkampf but after Elysium I want someone else.

Ah yes, the film everyone said "ripped off halo" despite the fact the only thing they shared was a ring world, an idea that didn't even originate from halo.

Yeah, i'd rather he just stay away so i dont have to hear those piss poor comparisons all over again

Eh.

6 years ago with Halo 3 fresh I would have been super hyped. After Reach and 4 I kinda care but not a whole lot. The fact that Forward unto dawn was so horribly hamfisted doesnt help.

Honestly I think they would have been better off with a 10 episode mini series following a squad of ODSTs or something. Like Band of brothers.

abadguy

Banned
I'm ok with Ridley Scott personally. Since he'll be producing. Will be interesting to see who they grab to direct. Would have liked Neil Blomkampf but after Elysium I want someone else.

Wow so it only takes one "bad" movie for him to end up on the shit list? I still want Blomkamp for the Halo movie. Can't imagine anyone else doing it justice.

Zabant

Eh.

6 years ago with Halo 3 fresh I would have been super hyped. After Reach and 4 I kinda care but not a whole lot.

Perhaps, but also consider this; a new halo film could be the perfect thing to get people excited about halo again, all those fans that grew up (like godhandiscen) and forgot about the series have a reason to get excited again.

It also brings in a whole new...ugh...audience of 8-12 year olds that were to young to know about halo when it was absolutely everywhere and might have never got into the damp fart of a release that 4 was.

NeoGash

Uh-oh. I love Ridley and Halo, but this movie is going to blow if it is true. A feature length movie will cater to the lowest common denominator. If they use some fucking douchebag like Matt Damon or Channing Tampon or whatever his name is, I will destroy my Halo games by throwing them into Mount Doom. Why do fans of games always want Hollywood movies? Why? Do you like millions of people having their hearts crushed and destroyed?

Oh no....the Master Chief is......The Rock......someone kill me. Please.

charsace

I would love for the movie to start with the kidnapping of the kids and the training of them, but then you would have to show MC's face.

NeoGash

You mean like most AAA video games?

Yes, except even worse. As bad as Gears of War Judgment and Assassin's Creed Revelations were, they at least didn't ram Matt Damon down my throat. Uuuuugh.

(Actually, that sounds.....dirty lol).

I know this won't happen but I'd rather see them pull from the Greg Bear novels for a film. From the half of the book I read it seems to be much more interesting than just another future militaristic book; it's an actual Sci-Fi story.

cheezcake

You mean like most AAA video games?

Heh, glad I wasn't the only one thinking this

Halo is pretty damn mainstream AAA, doesn't mean its bad. It's all in the execution.

Yes, except even worse. As bad as Gears of War Judgment and Assassin's Creed Revelations were, they at least didn't ram Matt Damon down my throat. Uuuuugh.

(Actually, that sounds.....dirty lol).

Lol dude what is your obsession with Matt Damon

NeoGash

Heh, glad I wasn't the only one thinking this

Halo is pretty damn mainstream AAA, doesn't mean its bad. It's all in the execution.

It's mainstream, but you'd have to read the books to know half the shit that is going on in the game....well, at least in Halo 4. While that is a flaw, at least the games have always been made FOR Halo fans (strictly talking about the story/single player), to the detriment of new players I'll admit. A movie will throw it all away and go for a super generic Hollywood Transformers story.

Lol dude what is your obsession with Matt Damon

Where'd you get that idea?

cheezcake

It's mainstream, but you'd have to read the books to know half the shit that is going on in the game....well, at least in Halo 4. While that is a flaw, at least the games have always been made FOR Halo fans (strictly talking about the story/single player), to the detriment of new players I'll admit. A movie will throw it all away and go for a super generic Hollywood Transformers story.

If they're intelligent they won't try make a movie based primarily on game content, a film adaptation of The Fall of Reach would be fucking outstanding though. Great novel and it's got enough action in there to keep the popcorn movie crowd happy.

Where'd you get that idea?

You really don't like the guy
If they use some fucking douchebag like Matt Damon or Channing Tampon or whatever his name is

at least didn't ram Matt Damon down my throat. Uuuuugh.

NeoGash

He just doesn't want Matt shoved down his throat.
He wants him shoved elsewhere

Well if you'd volunteer, that would be great. You'd be ridding the world of him and the excrement coming out of your ass.

But then that wouldn't deal with the crap coming out of your mouth either....or fingers I should say.

You really don't like the guy

I don't like him in every second action movie, no. We are talking about a possible Hollywood action movie, and I don't want some tired action star in a Halo movie. I mentioned 3 popular ones, and happened to mention one of them twice. Hardly what I'd call an obsession, but whatever floats your boat.

If they're intelligent they won't try make a movie based primarily on game content, a film adaptation of The Fall of Reach would be fucking outstanding though. Great novel and it's got enough action in there to keep the popcorn movie crowd happy.

Eeehh...I already sat through Doom, Max Payne and Prince of Persia........I can't take another lol.

Forward Unto Dawn was good as it was made for Halo fans, not my mother, uncle, sister and that fat talkative bitch Jenny from accounting.

charsace

I know this won't happen but I'd rather see them pull from the Greg Bear novels for a film. From the half of the book I read it seems to be much more interesting than just another future militaristic book; it's an actual Sci-Fi story.

The first Halo book is straight up Scifi. They explain the technologies that are being used. They just don't take some badass soldiers and throw them in suits to kick some alien ass. The first book starts off political as its about finding ways to crush a rebellion and handling space pirates. The suits come into play when they get their hand on covenant technology.

A movie based on the first book would change the way people view Master Chief.

cheezcake

Forward Unto Dawn was good as it was made for Halo fans, not my mother, uncle, sister and that fat talkative bitch Jenny from accounting.

Eh I thought Forward Unto Dawn was weak, in the end it just felt cold because they didn't develop any of the characters enough for me to give a shit about them.

Zabant

Well if you'd volunteer, that would be great. You'd be ridding the world of him and the excrement coming out of your ass.

But then that wouldn't deal with the crap coming out of your mouth either....or fingers I should say.

Woah woah wooah there pal, calm down now, what's all this talk of asses? I didn't say where you wanted him shoved.

Zabant said:
He wants him shoved elsewhere

See, I could be talking about an abandoned island, or a prison!

No need to get lewd

Zabant

A movie and a TV series? That sounds like spreading yourself a bit thin to me.

Tell that to Marvel, They make 3 films a year and Agents of Shield, a TV series.
People ate that stuff up.

I say go for it, the more Halo the better.
I personally don't see halo as the kind of series you can fuck up beyond repair, hell look at how fucked StarWars became after the prequel trilogies, and people are still falling over themselves to get even the slightest scrap of info over the new Disney Films.

NeoGash

Woah woah wooah there pal, calm down now, what's all this talk of asses? I didn't say where you wanted him shoved.

See, I could be talking about an abandoned island, or a prison!

No need to get lewd

I never said he'd be shoved in your ass either ;) I was thinking more like you having him surgically implanted into your stomach and blocking your intestines so you couldn't shit out of your ass anymore. I apologise for any confusion ;)

MacNille

Banned
I would rather have producer Peter Jackson and director Neill Blomkamp back on the job. I know Jackson is busy for the next year with The Hobbit, but please do not screw this up.

I'm glad that we will not get Blomkamp. His social message in his movies are so over the top and not so subtile, that a Halo movie would be unbearable.

If Master Chef takes off his helment so the actor's face can get screen time, the movie is dead to me.

Dredd is a terrible example if you actually want the film to make any sort of money.

Great film, but it's clawing for a sequel with an internet campaign.

General audiences need to see faces and actors that will convince them to go to the theatre.

Films like Robocop and Spider-Man always found an opportunity to take that mask off when needed.

Zabant

I never said he'd be shoved in your ass either

Oh my good gracious!! why are you talking about shoving Matt Damon in peoples asses?! :O

All I did was point out the fact I never mentioned where, you wanted dear old Mr Damon shoved. Then you brought up the dreadful topic of asses, and now you're talking about how you never intended to stick him up my posterior but instead having him surgically implanted into my stomach?!

You have a filthy, filthy mind sir. I shall never again imply you want Matt Damon somewhere else other than down your throat.

Dredd, though, at least featured enough face to get some kind of feedback from and he talked more than MC ever does. Would rather it not focus on Master Chief.

Wow so it only takes one "bad" movie for him to end up on the shit list? I still want Blomkamp for the Halo movie. Can't imagine anyone else doing it justice.

I didn't know Neil Blomkamp directed it, I've been wanting to see it based on reviews alone, now I definitely have to check it out. How is this considered bad?

ng1yLUh.jpg

jelly

Helmet on or off is a tough one. I don't think they should keep the game voice so I'm more open to seeing his face.

If they keep the helmet on, I don't think he could be a main character without looking like some oversized lump in a bike helmet who couldn't be subtle if his life depended on it. FUD was so bad with MC.

I've yet to see a suit and practically everything Halo that doesn't look awful in live action.
Modest budgets and game designs probably. They need to adjust the designs.

Top Bottom