• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto talks Wiimakes (Nintendo Dream interview)

Jonnyram

There's a quality Miyamoto interview in the new Nintendo Dream, where he talks about 10 years of 64/GC and the future with Wii. The interview is too long for me to type up everything, so I've translated a bit about Wiimakes that I thought people would be interested in.

---

Nindori: 10 years of Famicom and Super Famicom. 10 years of N64 and GC. And now another ten years is starting with Wii?
Miyamoto: Yes, we're starting from here.

N: Looking at the titles you've announced so far, it already seems like you'll be releasing games at a faster pace than the N64 and GC.
M: That's because the machine is based on GC. Dev tools are of course being upgraded, but GC code will basically run as is. Because of that, I'm also thinking I can remake some of my GC games for Wii, making use of the Wiimote.

N: So you think games will experience a rebirth thanks to the Wiimote...
M: Yes. Of course you can wander into a second hand shop and buy a lot of these games still, so I don't think we can release these Wiimakes at full price. Since a lot of the development cost has already been accounted for, we'll be able to release these at a much more affordable price. And if others also take advantage of this and release Wiimakes, there's a high possibility of a lot of software from third parties also.

N: So, there's a possibility of Nintendo doing this?
M: Yes, I strongly believe there is. For this reason, the next Zelda will be released for both Wii and GC simultaneously. It's quite an interesting experiment.

N: Ah, I see.
M: Also, when we were working on it, some of the staff were saying "Since the Wii has more power than the GC, let's polish the graphics up a bit too", but Zelda's fans aren't expecting polish, they're expecting a fun and exciting game, so I said it is better if we make it fun both on Wii and GC. And recently it's been established that "Wii is not a machine that tries to deliver next-gen graphics". Of course, since there are still games that demand high quality graphics, there will be separate paths of development depending on the software.

---

There's also a part where he's asked what happened to previous projects.

Mario 64-2: originally planned for 64DD, some parts made it into other games, but Miyamoto forgot which ones (!)

Cabbage: Cancelled but some ideas made it into Nintendogs.

Mario 128: A test concept for Mario. Some elements are in Mario Galaxy, incl. the running around a sphere and gravity.

Marionette: Moved to Wii. Still in development.

Stage Debut: Some elements seen in E3 Wii demos, like the face mapping element. Looks like many elements will make it into other games rather than being released as a standalong product, but the writeup is kind of vague.

what would Amir0x do if they released Pikmin 2 with some un-thought of super control scheme using the wiimote, and released it for $20?

edit: can't wait for more bits from the interview Jonnyram.

ethelred

I'm not familiar with Marionette... could anyone shed some light on what this is?

And I'd love to see Wii ports of Homeland and Giftpia, just cause they never made it to the US the first time around. I don't think either of these are probable, though -- I wonder what games Miyamoto has in mind?

A Wii port of FE: Path of Radiance wouldn't be so bad -- it'd help the game sell even more (it deserves all the sales it can get) and it'd help ease people into FE X since that'll be a direct sequel.

Jonnyram said:
No he didn't. That's my word, but I haven't TMed it yet. I'm heading down to the TM office now.

You're too late, Johnny! Atlus USA used that word for Trauma Center: SO.

Kevtones

Interesting. Pikmin/Luigi's Mansion would be pretty neat if updated for Wii....Actually, the thought of Mario Bros. Mansion co-op sounds enticing as hell with the Wiimote.

PS I still think the next-gen Silent Hill is going to be announced for the Wii @ Leipzig

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Paging Headless Shinji Mikami!!! Paging Headless Shinji Mikami!!!

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Wiimake REmake ftw!

And...i damned sure wasn't one of the Zelda fans that didn't want polish. Glad they are making it "fun", but still.

Amir0x

Banned
imastalker co. said:
what would Amir0x do if they released Pikmin 2 with some un-thought of super control scheme using the wiimote, and released it for $20?

Nothing? I already have Pikmin 2 for the system and control scheme it was intended.

Gigglepoo

Amir0x said:
Nothing? I already have Pikmin 2 for the system and control scheme it was intended.

Ha! Nice

I'm not sure the control for Pikmin would be improved with the Wiimote. Such a damn perfect game that is.

Amir0x

Banned
Well, if they made Pikmin 3 for the Wii totally different story. That, in fact, is one of the primary reasons I buy Wii ;)

Amir0x said:
yeah, but i said un-thought of super control scheme. hypothetically speaking, you're totally convinced and sold on the idea.

but since you mentioned Pikmin 3, it got me thinking that we have better things to waste our time thinking about.

arab

I'm curious about Marionette.

Mario game where you control him like a puppet...

MARIO RPG WHERE YOU CONTROL HIM LIKE A PUPPET?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Speevy

Banned
Maybe the Pikmin in Pikmin 3 could be like pets that follow the Wiimote around, and to flick a group of them onto something you press a certain button. Like a button for blue Pikmin, yellow Pikmin, etc.

A wand of command or something.

ethelred

The Eatable Arab said:
I'm curious about Marionette.

Mario game where you control him like a puppet...

MARIO RPG WHERE YOU CONTROL HIM LIKE A PUPPET?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I have no idea what Marionette is, and no one will say. I've never even heard of this game.

Amir0x

Banned
imastalker co. said:
yeah, but i said un-thought of super control scheme. hypothetically speaking, you're totally convinced and sold on the idea.

Whatever hypothetical "super control scheme" they did, all it would be doing is fitting something new over an old design. This is not appealing to me. It's not the same as just, say, remaking the visuals.

imastalker co. said:
but since you mentioned Pikmin 3, it got me thinking that we have better things to waste our time thinking about.

Indeed! Pikmin 3, please be shown at Leipzig or sometime soon :(

Gigglepoo

I don't really like the idea of Wii-making GC games. I'd rather people focus their develpment efforts on either new Wii games, original VC titles, or upgrade old school VC games. For instance, I would pay 25 Wii-lars for Super Mario Kart: Online.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Gigglepoo said:
I don't really like the idea of Wii-making GC games. I'd rather people focus their develpment efforts on either new Wii games, original VC titles, or upgrade old school VC games. For instance, I would pay 25 Wii-lars for Super Mario Kart: Online.

Well it sounds like they dont have to focus any development "effort" on wiimakes since the code already runs on wii.

Gigglepoo

sp0rsk said:
Well it sounds like they dont have to focus any development "effort" on wiimakes since the code already runs on wii.

Yeah, I guess. I just own so many GC games that it's hard for me to get excited about Wiimakes. I can't really think of any game I'd really like to see upgraded.

EDIT - Thought of one: Battalion Wars. Fun for awhile, but then I got super frustrated. I think the magic Wii could fix that.

pitt_norton

Jonnyram said:
"Since the Wii has more power than the GC, let's polish the graphics up a bit too", but Zelda's fans aren't expecting polish, they're expecting a fun and exciting game...

C'mon Shigeru, just alittle polish. Even a spit polish would do.

pitt_norton

Amir0x said:
Pikmin 3, please be shown at Leipzig or sometime soon :(

I'm excited for a Pikimin 3, if only to experience a full featured multiplayer mode. Pikmin 2 was the most original multiplayer experience since Super Mario Kart.

some of the staff were saying "Since the Wii has more power than the GC, let's polish the graphics up a bit too", but Zelda's fans aren't expecting polish
How the hell did he arrive at that conclusion?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Ugh, I hate this idea, but I'm betting this is why the Wii classic remote looks like a PS2 controller, to allow 3rd parties to do the same and simply provide a classic control scheme as well.

Vieo

How was Super Mario Bros. made? Was it Miyamoto sitting in front of a computer in Nintendo's basement doing all the coding, creating the art, and composing the music?

Or was it Miyamoto standing behind a group of guys sitting behind computers and he hit them with a whip while yelling out orders like "You! Place a question box there and make it a fire-plant!", "You! Tighen up the graphics on level 2!"?

Cheerilee

By "polish", Shigeru clearly meant "graphics that exceed what TP was already getting on the GCN".

So he said that Zelda fans aren't expecting TP to be better than what they've already seen in TP screenshots, they're expecting it to be long and awesome and fun, so he told them to build more content (enjoyable in both versions, and apparently not Wii-specific) instead.

That's definitely cheered me up, since everything following the rumors of a Wii-port has seemed to be nothing but bad news for TP.

imastalker co. said:

I don't know about Amir0x, but I can speak for myself. It entirely depends if they make the multiplayer from that game online-enabled.

If they do: Buy copies for myself and everyone I know.

If they don't: Burn down Nintendo headquarters.

Vieo said:
How was Super Mario Bros. made? Was it Miyamoto sitting in front of a computer in Nintendo's basement doing all the coding, creating the art, and composing the music?

Or was it Miyamoto standing behind a group of guys sitting behind computers and he hit them with a whip while yelling out orders like "You! Place a question box there and make it a fire-plant!", "You! Tighen up the graphics on level 2!"?
Miyamoto was an artist, he has never been a programmer of any kind. He designed the game, Nintendo's programmers coded it.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
scola 5/1/2006 said:
I would like to bet marionette shows up in some form as a tech demo using two wiimotes. They talked that shit up a lot a few years ago and it disappeared along with talk of GCs "life extending peripheral".
=P

pitt_norton

I just like to say thanks Jonnyram for giving some new news to chew on. Just needed that as an entree for Lipzeig GC on thursday.

Cheerilee

olubode said:
Paging Headless Shinji Mikami!!! Paging Headless Shinji Mikami!!!
Are you saying you want this...

resident-evil-4-20041008045055794.jpg

...with anamorphic widescreen, all the extra missions, no missing trees or barrels, cutscenes that aren't FMV of GameCube renderings, and some tacked-on Wiimote pointer functionality?

Zelda for Wii pisses me off enough as is, but now they're not going to upgrade the graphics because... why exactly? Putting in higher resolution textures and the Mario Galaxy lighting engine would make that game look even more amazing.

ruby_onix said:

...with anamorphic widescreen, all the extra missions, no missing trees or barrels, cutscenes that aren't FMV of GameCube renderings, and some tacked-on Wiimote pointer functionality?
Add in higher color depth and I'd definitely consider it. Did the original run in 480p? That and 16:9 would be awesome-possum.

Gigglepoo

AndoCalrissian said:
Zelda for Wii pisses me off enough as is, but now they're not going to upgrade the graphics because... why exactly? Putting in higher resolution textures and the Mario Galaxy lighting engine would make that game look even more amazing.

Meh, it's just graphics. I'd rather the artists work on new dungeons and better textures than crap like lighting.

SantaC

AndoCalrissian said:

huh? It's been known since E3 that Zelda TP version doesn't look better except for widescreen support.

ethelred

TheWolf said:
if they're going to waste time on Wiimakes, they can blow me. TP is enough as it is.

I don't see the big deal, personally.

Metal Gear Solid, Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden... all get special edition enhancements later. In Japan, they Square does that with some of their games, too -- Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, FFX-2 Internation + Last Mission, and so on.

So what if Nintendo does a similar thing, taking already-made games and doing enhanced special editions that get released for budget prices? If you don't want it, you don't want it -- don't buy it. But I don't see it as a bad thing to do and it certainly wouldn't be unique to Nintendo.

big_z

AndoCalrissian said:

If they smooth out the framerate to a rock steady 60fps and improve the AA/AF i think that will be enough. These things should be pretty easy to achieve on the wii version so if it doesn't happen i will be disappointed.

I'm actually all for this, and I don't really understand what exactly is the problem here. I'm just jumping back to consoles with Wii, the first time I've owned a console since NES. The chances of me playing the few GC games I'm interested in are highly increased if I don't have to get a GC controller.

Jonnyram

ethelred said:
And I'd love to see Wii ports of Homeland and Giftpia, just cause they never made it to the US the first time around.
Homeland would be perfect for this. Especially using WiiConnect24 to setup a server. Someone needs to tell Chunsoft to make it so.

cvxfreak

ruby_onix said:

I'll take everything minus the last one on the GC, 360 or whatever.

Top Bottom