• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joei

It feels like just yesterday you made the official information thread. Man, it's been a long time coming for this game, that's for sure, but time sure has flown by!

I for sure can't wait till next week!

Skilletor

I'll be picking it up day 1, though Resonance of Fate and GoW3 have killed a bit of my hype. Still looking forward to it, though.

Ikkarus

Fantastic OP!

I really cant wait to get to get in to the game, I loved X and a lot of people have drew comparisons to it so I feel confident it will deliver for me.

Darkatomz

...I'm not gonna lie, the review scores are freaking me out a little bit. Then again, FF12 was rated higher everywhere and I hated it.

Nice OP Kagari.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Is the Poster/Artwork from the OP base on the 360 ver?

Just kidding, just making fun from all the "HUGE" difference in the 360 vs PS3 subjects, well besides the picture does look low quality :lol

Anyways, FF13 battle system dissapoints me, I expected something more, then I played Resonance of Fate and my hopes for a over the top RPG gameplay came true. RoF gameplay is what I expected from FF13 after seen the first trailer, now dunno if the story of RoF will be as good as FF13, but at least it will be fun to play.

Getting FF13 later in my case, there is no SE to worry and get day 1, only in EU that is. =/

Oh, BTW, anybody has a high quality/res ver of that artwork in the OP?

Great thread Kagari. I have one piece of advice for those going in now: Don't let the early bits where it's slow and super locked-in put you off! It gets much better. Keep at it!

Mileena

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
So are there any importers that absolutely LOVED the game? I mean to the point of it entering your top 3 FF games.
I think it'd be crazy to top FF4, FF6 and FF9 so that sounds a little nuts. Just being better than that shitty shit FF12 would be good enough for me.

Just bought my copy of the Collectors Edition :D Store upstairs broke embargo so they will be fined like a mother fucker :lol

But Ubisoft let our store sell it early since the other store broke it. Apparently we are the first store in the world to be allowed to officially sell it.

Decided to get the PS3 version )even though I usually prefer multiplatform games on the 360) because of the superior graphics and sound quality.

So far so good, the graphics are amazing. Probably the best I've seen this generation.

Battle system seems pretty simplified (so far) but I've only played about an hour and a half.

Here's proof (sorry about the crappy iPhone pics)

2cf6viv.jpg

2wlr4oo.jpg

Another nit-pick towards the reviewers - "you cannot talk with NPCs". You couldn't talk with them in previous FF as well, jRPGs don't do dialogue trees. Here you have the same thing as in every FF, but instead of pressing X to hear the dialogue, you just need to walk past. Wtf were the reviewers playing?

Ristlager

To the people who has finished the japanese version. I have killed every weapon/supermonster in every FF game so far (from VII), does this game require more or less grinding than the other ones to do the same?

Ristlager said:
To the people who has finished the japanese version. I have killed every weapon/supermonster in every FF game so far (from VII), does this game require more or less grinding than the other ones to do the same?
It's all relative really, but I'd say it's about the same. Have fun with the release! :D

comicblizzard said:
So are there any importers that absolutely LOVED the game? I mean to the point of it entering your top 3 FF g

Not so much the entire game as a whole as I would say the battle system. It's definitely one of my top faves...
once you unlock everything it has to offer

BboyDubC

So does the 360 US version have optional japanese audio? If not, does the Japanese version have English text? Basically does any version have Japanese audio with subtitles for 360?

Durante

Awesome thread! I'll play a bit more before posting my impressions.

Yeah why exactly are people saying the tutorial is 20 hours? It makes no sense.
Because apparently, if you can't choose your party members it's a "tutorial". (Yeah, it doesn't make any sense)

BboyDubC said:
So does the 360 US version have optional japanese audio? If not, does the Japanese version have English text? Basically does any version have Japanese audio with subtitles for 360?
No. The cynic in me assumes that this is the case because they want us to pay again for the "international" version in a year or so :p.

Castor Krieg said:
Another nit-pick towards the reviewers - "you cannot talk with NPCs". You couldn't talk with them in previous FF as well, jRPGs don't do dialogue trees. Here you have the same thing as in every FF, but instead of pressing X to hear the dialogue, you just need to walk past. Wtf were the reviewers playing?
Agreed. Some of the reviews really do sound like they never actually comprehended how JRPGs work before, and see a reduction in functionality where there really, truly only is streamlining.

Diffense

Honestly, I think Square was labouring under the expectations of presentation and graphics.
With a strange irony I have noticed games contract and become less grand as systems have become more powerful and graphics more detailed.
Given a certain amount of money you can build a large house of wood or a rather small one of gold.

I found some of the comments about removal of towns, etc. very interesting.
I also hated the idea of subordinating gameplay to the demands of storytelling by having the story force linearity.
They are letting peripheral things like high definition graphics and story gimp the game itself.
The tail should not be wagging the dog.

On the positive side the new battle system sounds interesting and it is certainly a beautiful game.
But I think Square needs to take a step back from its own graphics whorism.
In this age we're saying that towns aren't possible because it'll be too expensive to make them look real when in the past we said the game needs towns, who cares if they look like lego.

Jswanko

So glad this game is getting some love in this thread. A lot of people have been hating and its making me feel bad about pre-ordereing it.

Haven't played a FF all the way through since IX but I cant wait to play this one.

duckroll

BboyDubC said:

The only 360 version of FFXIII which exists is the English one.

Diffense said:
But I think Square needs to take a step back from its own graphics whorism.
In this age we're saying that towns aren't possible because it'll be too expensive to make them look real when in the past we said the game needs towns, who cares if they look like lego.

Keep saying that. Then boot FFXIII and see the opening movie on HD TV. Or play a bit and see Lindblum emerge from the clouds. We will talk then.

As for the "towns" remark - you really want parts of your game uneven? HD movies and graphic and Lego SD towns?

Empty

Feels like ages since i last played a mainline Final Fantasy, and the wait has been very long (thank god for simultaneous NA and EU launch though) but i'm excited to pick up my copy on tuesday.

Mandoric

Banned
Castor Krieg said:
Keep saying that. Then boot FFXIII and see the opening movie on HD TV. Or play a bit and see Lindblum emerge from the clouds. We will talk then.

As for the "towns" remark - you really want parts of your game uneven? HD movies and graphic and Lego SD towns?

We've got another team at the same company currently putting together detailed, NPC-packed towns in the same engine on the same platforms, so I'm not sure what you two are on about.

Firestorm

Looking at my friends list and seeing my friend playing FFXIII has been very annoying for these past few hours! At least Heavy Rain is out of the way so I can free up my PS3 for Tuesday :)

About the Edge review, I simply can not believe that FFXIII received a score of 5/10. I mean, fuck me - Dynasty Warriors 6 got 7/10 from Edge (and I do like the DW series, but no way did it deserve that score). Maybe FFXIII is too big a scalp not to take, given the chance. No mercy for such a AAA title!
Oh well, doesn't really matter. Edge are just wrong. It happens, you know.

Mandoric said:
We've got another team at the same company currently putting together detailed, NPC-packed towns in the same engine on the same platforms, so I'm not sure what you two are on about.

Was reffering to his idea, that we could've any towns, even not up to HD standard. Myself, I really don't care. Make towns, don't make towns, big deal. These are gimmicks, nowhere in RPG Designer Bible did it say "You need to have towns in your game, with multiple NPCs, shops, places of interest, etc.".

Durante

Slackbladder said:
About the Edge review, I simply can not believe that FFXIII received a score of 5/10.
It would have maybe surprised me before they gave Dragon Age a 5. I don't think anything they do can surprise (or, it has to be said, interest) me after that.

Firestorm

Slackbladder said:
About the Edge review, I simply can not believe that FFXIII received a score of 5/10. I mean, fuck me - Dynasty Warriors 6 got 7/10 from Edge (and I do like the DW series, but no way did it deserve that score). Maybe FFXIII is too big a scalp not to take, given the chance. No mercy for such a AAA title!
Which parts of their review do you disagree with? What would you say contradicts your own experience with the game?

Empty

Slackbladder said:

You know review scores aren't used to create a single ranking of all videogames relative to eachother. With those scores they aren't saying that FFXIII is worse than DW6, they are saying that FFXIII is an average rpg whereas DW6 is a good character action game.

Mandoric

Banned
Firestorm said:
Which parts of their review do you disagree with? What would you say contradicts your own experience with the game?

There's very little actual content in the review to pick at, but a couple key points:
* Suggesting that you don't have complete control until hour 20 is like suggesting that you don't have it until hour 20 in FF5 because that's when you get your last job crystal, or FF6 because that's when you get your last Esper.
* All of the characters apparently fell flat for the reviewer, which is a matter of personal tastes but is probably pretty unlikely.
* You have to have a pretty damn high opinion of the importance of narrative in a game to say "one of the best gameplay systems in the genre, I hated the cast, it gets a 5". Even a non-curved 5.

zoukka

Mandoric said:
There's very little actual content in the review to pick at, but a couple key points:
* Suggesting that you don't have complete control until hour 20 is like suggesting that you don't have it until hour 20 in FF5 because that's when you get your last job crystal, or FF6 because that's when you get your last Esper.
* All of the characters apparently fell flat for the reviewer, which is a matter of personal tastes but is probably pretty unlikely.
* You have to have a pretty damn high opinion of the importance of narrative in a game to say "one of the best gameplay systems in the genre, I hated the cast, it gets a 5". Even a non-curved 5.

You just don't understand how EDGE polices their reviews. They don't do them with calculators and formulas about the different areas of the game. If they have a bitter taste in their mouth after completing the game, then it's going to show in the score. It doesn't matter how many millions went to motion capture and in modelling of Snow's beard.

I find it funny that people can't embrace this. I mean they don't review movies and music based on their production values...

fernoca said:
Love this video.
(No spoilers..is just the party walking around the map)

Bet it was posted already, but I've been avoiding videos of the game and overall info, just keep an eye on pictures and overall discussion here and there. Decided to look for a video, because a friend and I were wondering if the characters stay with you when joining your party or you "absorb them" like in many RPGs.. :p ..so the video answered that question..and wow..looks big..pretty..and so full of enemies.. :lol

This game was not even on my radar (even though I've played most FF games), I had sold my 360 and PS3 and had basically no interest after reading the negative comments. I watched that video about 2 hours ago, went straight to the shop and bought a new 360 arcade and my copy of FFXIII will be here on monday :D

Mandoric

Banned
zoukka said:
You just don't understand how EDGE polices their reviews. They don't do them with calculators and formulas about the different areas of the game. If they have a bitter taste in their mouth after completing the game, then it's going to show in the score. It doesn't matter how many millions went to motion capture and in modelling of Snow's beard.

I find it funny that people can't embrace this. I mean they don't review movies and music based on their production values...

Where the hell did production values come in? :lol The dude said in his own review that the actual gameplay is best-in-genre and he just doesn't like the plot, if the plot is that important to you I'd question why you're playing games at all.

The insistence that the game doesn't start until 20 hours in is also absurd as noted, and while "only the second true FF since 2002" is technically accurate, there's this sneaking feeling that he's thinking back to FF10's delayed Euro release which would also be very wrong and show some pretty unprofessional fanboy butthurt. Would you take a review of Halo Reach seriously that lead with the line "the first -real- Halo game with online play"?

CruxisMana said:
Nice OP.

The mail man just came to our door with a game sized package... then promptly left and delivered it next door.

:(

That's the biggest kick in the nads ever :lol

My copy should arrive Tuesday :)

demonkaze

Was hoping my copy would come before Tuesday, GAME are normally good with that but it's Saturday now and it's still only picking and packing. Won't be using GAME anymore thats for sure, had problems with Bad Company 2 also.

Merovin

demonkaze said:
Was hoping my copy would come before Tuesday, GAME are normally good with that but it's Saturday now and it's still only picking and packing. Won't be using GAME anymore thats for sure, had problems with Bad Company 2 also.

When did you preorder? Because mine was dispatched yesterday and I only ordered it on Thursday! o_O
Just because Amazon wouldn't deliver it in time for Tuesday though.

demonkaze

Merovin said:
When did you preorder? Because mine was dispatched yesterday and I only ordered it on Thursday! o_O
Just because Amazon wouldn't deliver it in time for Tuesday though.

I ordered it on Monday with express delivery, so I guess GAME just hate me haha!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the actual mechanical side of this game (simplified leveling up system/stats, paradigm shifts etc) just sounds like so much fun to me.

I'm worried I'll be driven mad by the lack of freedom in party makeup and battle options that is supposedly denied to me in the first 10-20 hours, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom