• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Instant Pot (Pressure Cooker) is amazing aka suggest me more recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponn

Banned
Not a problem. You got a recipe in mind for the roast? These folks have some good recipes I've tried..might wanna check them out. Good luck with the roast ��..

Ah dude turned out awesome. I didn't use a specific recipe because I was just doing a traditional pork roast meal so seared the sides of the roast, little sea salt, pepper, stuffed some sliced garlic into the roast and some thyme. House smelt so damn good. Meat was falling off the bone, don't have to pull shit. I always plan multiple meals out of meats like this so I got some pretzel buns for this weekend. I already basically got the meat so i'm just going to make either that glaze from that recipe you posted earlier or if i'm too lazy grab a bottle of sweet baby rays from the pantry. Either way supremely happy with the way it cooked a roast.

We picked one of these up 1.5 weeks ago. We've used it for almost every meal since then. Tomorrow, we find out if it does better ribs than my 6 hour Big Green Egg ribs. Tonight's honey bourbon chicken was some of the best chicken I've ever had. This is a no-brainer kitchen appliance, if you're on the fence.

Vhalyar

I'm still grappling with the Finnish language, meaning I'm buying cuts of meat that turn out to be not what I expected.

In this case, what recipes could work for a piece of silverside beef?

So glad I peeked in here. Gonna roll to Costco tomorrow and grab 3 pork loins..time to make some more ��

Used a Montreal steak seasoning instead of salt and pepper..lawd. Next week, carne asada seasoning.

Just had this beef stew tonight as a test run..family enjoyed it very much. Had to as a little more salt and pepper, personally.

Shit..am I the only one posting in here now? ��

You're a monster! A cat eating monster!

*AHem*

Finally made it, unfortunately a little dry but I have two more portions of the loin I bought so I won't have to search around again for a while...

That glaze though.
giphy.gif

All about the glaze, I might have to try Montreal seasoning, something I don't have to actually buy since I already have it. I used the poultry seasoning alternative because I was not about to spend $7 on .6 ounces of ground sage.

WAY LATE EDIT: Another store other than the meat market (which had it on sale when I bought it) in the main town of the county I live in of course put pork loin on sale that Sunday, if I waited a day I could've saved five bucks. -.-

The Lamp

I just put frozen chicken in mine for a 10 hour soup slow cook...am I fucked? I didn't know it was unsafe because apparently the bacteria will create toxins that will remain even after boiling?

Husker86

So I know you have to give time for pressure to build up, but is it normal for it to take 15-20 minutes before the timer actually starts? That's a rough estimate, but it is definitely a big chunk of time when you're saying it takes ~38 minutes to do stew but it ends up being closer to an hour.

I'm fine with it, just want to be sure I'm not missing something.

So I know you have to give time for pressure to build up, but is it normal for it to take 15-20 minutes before the timer actually starts? That's a rough estimate, but it is definitely a big chunk of time when you're saying it takes ~38 minutes to do stew but it ends up being closer to an hour.

That is perfectly normal. I find that it reaches max pressure much faster if the saute function is used for a few minutes before putting on the lid. Otherwise it takes a while to heat up and reach pressure. Just heating the food and liquid until you see a few tiny bubbles should cut some of that initial time.

Heel

Yeah, I'll take the build-up time considering it's still often much faster than other methods and you can walk away from it. That's the real beauty of it.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Yeah, I'll take the build-up time considering it's still often much faster than other methods and you can walk away from it. That's the real beauty of it.

Yup. Prepare the ingredients. Toss it all in. Leave to go workout or watch an episode of something. Dinner is ready. No babysitting required.

It can definitely take that long if you have a whole bunch of stuff/liquid in there. Just one of those things you need to keep i mind.

First attempt at carnitas last night turned out wonderfully. Browning the meat at the end in a cast-iron skillet is essential.

Ribs are probably my favorite thing to make so far in the short time I've had mine. Just so easy to cut up the slab, pressure cook, then broil to finish.

Somewhat related: What's the best & least expensive way for me to find a 220V Instant Pot in the United States? I know they're sold in the EU & listed on Amazon UK, but wondering if there are better options.

Ixian

Made pho with oxtail and brisket last night, and it was tremendous. I was sure my wife would hate it, but she had a second serving.

Probably the most complicated Instant Pot recipe I've made yet, but it was totally worth it.
FYI, there's a Facebook group dedicated to Vietnamese Instant Pot recipes. :) My girlfriend and I are going to make pho one of these weekends but like you said it's a lot of work (and ingredients that we don't have laying around lol). Too bad we'll never really get the chance to bring it to family gatherings since other family members usually have pho covered.

We made stuffed bell peppers last night and they were yummy! Though when I put them under the broiler to finish they were too close to the flame and the tops got crispier faster than I expected. XD Still good though.

Aikidoka

welp, making my first meal (chicken fried rice ) with the Duo MINI. I'm a bit paranoid about it thing like exploding or something. I did the water steam test - and just had a small hissing problem. The venting valve seems very sensitive to the slight misalignment. Trying to decide if I want to saute everything on the stovetop rather than in the instant pot itself

Nice, that sounds pretty good and simple. Did you feel it was missing some spices or something?

Also got a new rib recipe so I'm excited to try that out hopefully try out and report back.

Not necessarily, no. I'm just used to adding Cajun sausage and carrots in my chili..kinda missed it. It was fine beyond that..

thespot84

Made Syracuse Salt Potatoes (which we'd never heard of before last night) in the Instant Pot, and they're amazing. Super salty, but in the best possible way.

Whisk up the Salt and Water.

Make sure it is completely dissolved.

Don’t taste it, unless you want to gag! 🙂

I wonder if you can float in it.

Like the Dead Sea.

I went to the High School in Israel.

We floated in the Dead Sea.

It was salty!

Thanks for this. I no longer have to imagine how James Joyce would have approached his cooking blog.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Made Syracuse Salt Potatoes (which we'd never heard of before last night) in the Instant Pot, and they're amazing. Super salty, but in the best possible way.
I've never heard of these before, but they sound good. Will give it a try sometime.

How do you wash the potato skins? I usually peel them when I make potatoes, so I have no idea how to cook them with the skin still on.

Has anyone here done boiled peanuts in one of these things? My wife bought one a little while ago, and I've had a craving for boiled peanuts recently.

I make them constantly. Plain, cajun, they all come out delicious. Just make sure to weigh the peanuts down using the trevet and a heavy bowl to keep the peanuts submerged.

Mine broke in less than 6 months. Nothing pressurizes anymore

Have you tried replacing the seal ring?

I've never heard of these before, but they sound good. Will give it a try sometime.

How do you wash the potato skins? I usually peel them when I make potatoes, so I have no idea how to cook them with the skin still on.

Just scrub them like you would for baked potatoes or fries, and then toss them in the pot. Potato skins are the best.

So, I decide to experiment yesterday with some baby back ribs..SUCCESS! I soaked the 3 lbs of ribs in a Ziploc bag with 1 1/2 cups of Goya mojo criollo for 2 hours. Cut it into 3 parts and tossed it and the mojo in the Instant Pot for 20 minutes..20 minutes of natural release. Brushed 1/2 cup of Baby Ray's barbeque sauce on the ribs and baked it on 375 for 10 minutes.

Fall off the bone goodness..it was a struggle just getting it out of the pot without falling apart lol.

😋

Supha_Volt

Neo Member
So, I decide to experiment yesterday with some baby back ribs..SUCCESS! I soaked the 3 lbs of ribs in a Ziploc bag with 1 1/2 cups of Goya mojo criollo for 2 hours. Cut it into 3 parts and tossed it and the mojo in the Instant Pot for 20 minutes..20 minutes of natural release. Brushed 1/2 cup of Baby Ray's barbeque sauce on the ribs and baked it on 375 for 10 minutes.

Fall off the bone goodness..it was a struggle just getting it out of the pot without falling apart lol.

😋
Damn those look great Gordon... I think I know what I'm making this weekend lol

Supha_Volt

Neo Member
Ha! Sorry for the delayed response..just getting electricity after Irma. Hell yeah, man! So damn good. How'd they come out fer ya?
They turned out great! Fam started tearin into them before I could get any pics tho... Next time lol. Good to hear! Hope you and yours are doing well after Irma. Stay safe

Tried to make something similar to beef shawarma in my instapot and turned out bad... Way to much lemon.

oti

Banned
My IP didn't work today. Couldn't build up pressure for some reason. First time this has happened. Guess I'll check out some trouble shooting info. Maybe the ring was not properly in place or something.

My IP didn't work today. Couldn't build up pressure for some reason. First time this has happened. Guess I'll check out some trouble shooting info. Maybe the ring was not properly in place or something.

Happened to me a couple of weeks ago..flipped the lip a couple of times and pushed/pulled that metal tab that pops up a couple of times as well. Give it a try..can't hurt 😁

They turned out great! Fam started tearin into them before I could get any pics tho... Next time lol. Good to hear! Hope you and yours are doing well after Irma. Stay safe

Tried to make something similar to beef shawarma in my instapot and turned out bad... Way to much lemon.

Thanks, man..we came out pretty ok, considering

Ferrio

Banned

How do you seal it? Mine used to have trouble sealing if i just put the lid on and turn it on. Now I turn it on, let it get really steamy then slam and quickly seal the lid. The valve instantly shuts.

oti

Banned
How do you seal it? Mine used to have trouble sealing if i just put the lid on and turn it on. Now I turn it on, let it get really steamy then slam and quickly seal the lid. The valve instantly shuts.

That sounds a bit too... actiony for my taste. 😅

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF

It's probably the ring not being on properly, or maybe the release valve stuff is not in place.

Or the ring is getting dirty/damaged?

My pot sometimes steams/whistles for a little while before it builds enough pressure to actually seal, but it always seals by itself.

Ashhong

I bought a pack of pork tenderloin that are pre marinated from Costco today and they have instructions to grill them. Would it be fine to put it in the IP? How should I do it? Sear then pressure cook? Not sure how long to do it for

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
welp, making my first meal (chicken fried rice ) with the Duo MINI. I'm a bit paranoid about it thing like exploding or something. I did the water steam test - and just had a small hissing problem. The venting valve seems very sensitive to the slight misalignment. Trying to decide if I want to saute everything on the stovetop rather than in the instant pot itself

I had this issue on the 8 qt. Take the valve off entirely and then reseat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom