• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) | OT | Hey Dude, This Is NO Cartoon

Status
Not open for further replies.
well it still can't be as bad as TMNT 2007. I hate everything about that movie.

Raph and Leo beef wasn't the problem I had with that movie. There's that part where Leo actually says to Raph "I'm better than you."

I remember even the first time watching that movie I went "WHAT THE HELL LEO, WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU SAY THIS, YOU AREN'T SOME ARROGANT DOUCHENOZZLE!"

Also the stupid ancient stone warriors thing and catch-monsters device. I feel like that was actually an entirely different movie that they stapled the Ninja Turtles into at the last moment. TMNT 2007 was IMAGI's first CG film, right? And Astro Boy was their last, if I recall right.

Sanjuro

And hey, I love Boyhood and I liked it! :p

I do really want to see this film. I just have a sinking feeling seeing it in theaters will make me miserable. There are just certain films that have been doing that to me lately, despite being around some wonderful art house cinemas.

Man I loved the 2007 CG movie. I thought it was really, really fun and that rooftop fight was fucking awesome. The actual plot about the stone dudes was whatever but I didn't think it was much of a focus.

well it still can't be as bad as TMNT 2007. I hate everything about that movie.

It really isn't that bad. They beef because they're bros.

I do really want to see this film. I just have a sinking feeling seeing it in theaters will make me miserable. There are just certain films that have been doing that to me lately, despite being around some wonderful art house cinemas.

It's quite a phenomenal movie. Equally heartbreaking/uplifting, oddly enough? I recommend seeing it in theaters. I saw it at a screening with a packed house and it made it better.

Sanjuro

Man I loved the 2007 CG movie. I thought it was really, really fun and that rooftop fight was fucking awesome. The actual plot about the stone dudes was whatever but I didn't think it was much of a focus.

The 2007 plot may make more sense than this one. TMNT 2007 did a few things very well I thought, but had some severe issues making it a mainstay in the franchise.

Sanjuro

Bronson, what was the song Mikey was singing at the end? You can use spoilers or link the YouTube if you like.

For the love of me it just escaped my braiiiiin.

Same here. I liked everything about the movie except the plot, which was pretty dull and didn't make much sense.

Christopher

Is it at least the same kind of level as turtles the first movie or more secret of the oooze?

Also could you guys see this getting a sequel?

Sanjuro

Is it at least the same kind of level as turtles the first movie or more secret of the oooze?

Also could you guys see this getting a sequel?

It doesn't resemble anything really from those other variants other than the concept. It's basically a version of the IDW series and elements from the Nick show if I had to select with a gun to my head. It's heavy on the comedy and violence.

Seems perfectly set up for a sequel, unless Guardians stomps it into oblivion.

Sanjuro

While I did get foam fingers, Keno was NOT at my screening.

FUCK.

Bt2UVcoIcAAYiCV.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
Can't attend any screenings despite lots around me in SF due to schedule conflicts. I used to attend a lot of freebies when I worked less.

Tizoc

Is the humor 'Michael Bay Cringe-worthy' or is it the kind that kids can enjoy but adults won't be turned off from?

The 2007 movie's main point is the brotherly relationship between Leo and Raph, it had some good action, but if you approach it with the focus on the Turtles relationship you'll enjoy it.

.la1n

I need to know what the deal with Shredder is, is Oroku Saki in the movie? If so does he actually live through the entire movie or do they do some swap with the white guy?

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post in here (even with spoiler tags.)

I need to know what the deal with Shredder is, is Oroku Saki in the movie? If so does he actually live through the entire movie or do they do some swap with the white guy?

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post in here (even with spoiler tags.)

TMNT 2014 SPOILERS

No seriously, if you care don't click this text. There's no spoiler thread for this one.

They don't say Oroku Saki, but I'm pretty sure it is him. He has the facial scars, but there's no way Splinter did it this go round. He is NOT Fitchner like he claimed, Fitchner is just his lackey/student. He falls off a building at the end of the movie, but has some of the ooze/mutagen clenched in his fist at the end, so they're setting up Super Shredder

I kind of want to make a Screening-GAF so people can find out about early screenings and discuss them/provide resources for everybody, but I dunno.

Is the humor 'Michael Bay Cringe-worthy' or is it the kind that kids can enjoy but adults won't be turned off from?

It's the latter. Most of the humor derives from Mikey and Arnett.

phileep

Caught the screening of this in Cherry Hill, NJ last night. It was actually kind of awesome. I still think the original film is a much better movie, but I think this blows away the other three. The most important thing is that it is a Ninja Turtle movie through and through. There are a few curve balls thrown as far as the origin goes, but it feels like TMNT. The Turtles themselves are as spot on as they can get. Donnie in particular is awesome, I'd be willing to say Donnie fans will be super pleased with him in this. I really loved Splinter too. He doesn't have much screen time, but his big moment (which you see parts of in the trailer) is awesome.

As for the humor, it's a bit hit and miss. It's not Michael Bay TF style humor though. Will Arnet had some pretty good moments, and of course Mikey had some as well. I didn't laugh at a fair amount of the gags, but the audience was super into it, so that's good.

It does have problems, it's not this perfect movie or anything. Megan Fox is tolerable enough, but at the end of the day she's still terrible. Shredder gets much more screen time than I thought, but he's basically just this big brute. Zero depth. And really there's just zero depth at all. But it's fine. I went in wanting to see the Turtles whoop ass and have a good time and that is exactly what I got out of it. The short run time ensures the movie runs at a great pace, there aren't really any dull moments.

I'm not sure this movie would make new fans out of people that don't like previous incarnations of TMNT, but I'm willing to bet most fans will be more than satisfied.

edit:

If you want to know my biggest beef with the origin... spoiler here
It's how Splinter learns how to fight. He has no idea how to fight when he's down in the sewer. He happens across a book teaching ninjutsu and then teaches himself how to fight before he teaches the Turtles how to fight. With one little dirty book. Eh but whatever.

Sanjuro

The Michael Bay comparisons are going to get very old now. Basically it's going to come down to "Does this movie have jokes!?" as stylistically there is nothing else to bridge the two close together.

There is crude humor, but nothing really out of the characters of the turtle's own stereotypes.

phileep

The Michael Bay comparisons are going to get very old now. Basically it's going to come down to "Does this movie have jokes!?" as stylistically there is nothing else to bridge the two close together.

There is crude humor, but nothing really out of the characters of the turtle's own stereotypes.

Yeah I agree. There is nothing here that is as out of character as say, Bumblebee taking a piss on someone's head.

I posted nice impressions of it on Facebook last night and a friend of mine said it doesnt matter what I think, he's already been fooled by Michael Bay before. I tried to explain that Michael Bay's name is nowhere on this thing but it doesn't matter. People just think this is a Michael Bay film. It's like thinking the original Transformers is a Steven Spielberg film. Oh well, their loss I guess?

Caught the screening of this in Cherry Hill, NJ last night

Nice, a fellow Gaffer!

Wasn't that line chaos? They did a terrible job separating that stuff, and nobody was prepared for the concessions stuff. I barely made it back in time to get to my saved seats!

phileep

Nice, a fellow Gaffer!

Wasn't that line chaos? They did a terrible job separating that stuff, and nobody was prepared for the concessions stuff. I barely made it back in time to get to my saved seats!

Cool I was wondering if anyone else from here would have been there last night. Yeah the line was insane. I got there around 6:30. I went to pull out my tickets and the guy didn't even look at them. He just points to the back. I had a friend meeting me there (he was my second ticket) and I didn't want to lose our place in line so I just told him to walk to the back because I doubt he would be stopped by anyone and he wasn't. He just walked back.

Once he got into line we determined there was no way we were getting in and that it didn't look like they were honoring the reserved seating from Geekadelphia's tickets.We were actually set to just jump over and buy tickets for Edge of Tomorrow at 7:30. Thankfully around 7 they came by us actually looking at tickets, saw we had Geekadelphia ones and then pulled us from the line. We got seats second row from the back. I went to the bathroom and scoped out the concession line and yeah, insane. Didn't even bother to get the free popcorn/drink. Was totally content just having a good seat.

I guess you missed the trivia questions since you waited in line? The guy asked "Who is the Turtle's Masked friend?" and some little kid, completely serious, says "Indiana Jones." I loved it. I would have handed him a prize just because.

.la1n

edit:

It's how Splinter learns how to fight. He has no idea how to fight when he's down in the sewer. He happens across a book teaching ninjutsu and then teaches himself how to fight before he teaches the Turtles how to fight. With one little dirty book. Eh but whatever.

I have no idea why they wouldn't just stick with the most commonly used origin, it would have made 100x more sense than this crap but eh I can let that slide if the rest of the movie is enjoyable.

Cool I was wondering if anyone else from here would have been there last night. Yeah the line was insane. I got there around 6:30. I went to pull out my tickets and the guy didn't even look at them. He just points to the back. I had a friend meeting me there (he was my second ticket) and I didn't want to lose our place in line so I just told him to walk to the back because I doubt he would be stopped by anyone and he wasn't. He just walked back.

Once he got into line we determined there was no way we were getting in and that it didn't look like they were honoring the reserved seating from Geekadelphia's tickets.We were actually set to just jump over and buy tickets for Edge of Tomorrow at 7:30. Thankfully around 7 they came by us actually looking at tickets, saw we had Geekadelphia ones and then pulled us from the line. We got seats second row from the back. I went to the bathroom and scoped out the concession line and yeah, insane. Didn't even bother to get the free popcorn/drink. Was totally content just having a good seat.

I guess you missed the trivia questions since you waited in line? The guy asked "Who is the Turtle's Masked friend?" and some little kid, completely serious, says "Indiana Jones." I loved it. I would have handed him a prize just because.

Yeah, the way they handled the line was total shit. They made people get in one big line, then went all the way down the line asking for Geekadelphia tickets. They really should've separated the lines from jump street. I think they sent you guys to the back of the line so that other Geekadelphia people wouldn't get line jumped. They ended up sending away like 100 people. Terrible.

It really brought out some terribly angry families too; someone snapped at me for trying to cut in line for a good minute (The studio rep had called me over to talk about something). Just a mess. I saw a couple people I had met the day before though at the Into the Storm stuff, so it was still fun!

I had Geekadelphia tickets, but my friends had normal ones, so I took someone in with me to save a few seats for them (not in the middle, cause that's dickish).

I was there for the trivia ones! I was the dude in the light blue dress shirt. I felt so bad for that kid, especially since right before, they gave another dude a second shot at the question. Just give him the pack. One of my friends won one, so we'll see what it is!

Platy

This makes even less sense than the part in the first movie ... and THAT was already pushing the limits =P

Didn't really like the 2007 film. I couldn't tell which Turtles universe this took place in. Was it a sequel to the old films or was it based of the WB cartoon?

Yaven

Banned
Their noses definitely ruin the look.

Edit: Actually, you know what? They just look way too human overall. Makes them look more weird/freaky than cool. I like the look of the 1990 turtles a lot more.

Platy

Didn't really like the 2007 film. I couldn't tell which Turtles universe this took place in. Was it a sequel to the old films or was it based of the WB cartoon?

It had a clear shot in the movie of a "trophy room" with Shredder's helmet and the time travel staff from the third movie

Sanjuro

Their noses definitely ruin the look.

Edit: Actually, you know what? They just look way too human overall. Makes them look more weird/freaky than cool. I like the look of the 1990 turtles a lot more.

It's because they are motion captured. The facial reactions are very well done.

Again, their build and size contribute greatly to every action sequence in the film.

Neoxon

I'm gonna take a guess at opening weekend numbers & say $40 million. For reference, it's tracking for $39 million.

It had a clear shot in the movie of a "trophy room" with Shredder's helmet and the time travel staff from the third movie

I don't think that's sign this takes place in any continuity, considering the nature of the story here and the way it's being set up as a new take on the turtles. They're just nice little easter eggs for eagle-eyed fans.

I don't think that's sign this takes place in any continuity, considering the nature of the story here and the way it's being set up as a new take on the turtles. They're just nice little easter eggs for eagle-eyed fans.

I think they're referring to the 2007 movie, ya?

This is basically a straight up reboot. No Superman Returns nonsense here.

Not good.

Especially since if Guardians lands like I think it will, this will get caught in the crossfire. Bit of a shame, really.

Also Sanj, I can't remember the song Mikey is singing at the end, my bad. Actually, no, it's his bad, his singing sucks

Also, this apparently ties into the film a bit. Explains their origins more.

http://www.legendoftheyokai.com/#!/home

I never heard of it until after seeing the film.

Here's a link to the video they produced for that site if anyone is curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcF1Sq6e3OM

I've been slowly reading the original comic series and I'm actually a huge fan of the "Legend of the Yokai" since it's not really an origin but more of a legend, something that actually is grounded in Japanese mythology and easily tangles itself into the turtles' origin.

Sanjuro

Here's a link to the video they produced for that site if anyone is curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcF1Sq6e3OM

I've been slowly reading the original comic series and I'm actually a huge fan of the "Legend of the Yokai" since it's not really an origin but more of a legend, something that actually is grounded in Japanese mythology and easily tangles itself into the turtles' origin.

Without giving away too much, for this particular film this video serves closer as an origin.

Without giving away too much, for this particular film this video serves closer as an origin.

That's not a bad origin, really. I haven't seen the movie yet but I'm dying to. Though like I mentioned, I am currently reading the original comic series and during their first fight, Shredder calls them "Kappa".

Sanjuro

That's not a bad origin, really. I haven't seen the movie yet but I'm dying to. Though like I mentioned, I am currently reading the original comic series and during their first fight, Shredder calls them "Kappa".

I've been talking to some TMNT fans about the film. Many are a bit delusional and are trying to believe there is only a particular way to create the origin.

Basically, you need to head into this film knowing you are going to be told a story about four mutated turtles and their surrogate rat father. Outside that, of course there are going to be liberties taken.

I've been talking to some TMNT fans about the film. Many are a bit delusional and are trying to believe there is only a particular way to create the origin.

Basically, you need to head into this film knowing you are going to be told a story about four mutated turtles and their surrogate rat father. Outside that, of course there are going to be liberties taken.

Haha, exactly. I've been looking at so many Youtube comments, Twitter and also things written on this board about people going nuts about how Michael Bay is ruining the Turtles... And I'm like, are you seriously going to nitpick about a property in which household turtles mutate and later become trained in ninjustu by a rat who mimic'd martial arts from his human master?

Haha, exactly. I've been looking at so many Youtube comments, Twitter and also things written on this board about people going nuts about how Michael Bay is ruining the Turtles... And I'm like, are you seriously going to nitpick about a property in which household turtles mutate and later become trained in ninjustu by a rat who mimic'd martial arts from his human master?

Can you only nitpick somber stories?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot

Regardless of how fictional or ridiculous the origins are, the fact is that there are established origins that had no need to be rewritten. You can't blame fans for not being happy about that, especially when it was all detailed for decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom