• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam: Perils of Summer Sale from June 24 to July 4 (Save up to 95% off)

kamspy

Morbid Angel said:
Is Riddick worth it? The game looks interesting but I'm not sure about the DRM.

Worst case scenario it's $6 for a 3-4 year rental. I bought it for about the same from Newegg a few installs ago and I haven't had a problem yet.

well i'm pretty satisfied with what i got.

still i would have been ecstatic if TLR had gone on sale but it's all good.

just checking through the thread now and looking at pickup lists carefully in case i missed something.

rocket knight i want... is defense grid good? i'm not really familiar with the genre.

Devil Theory said:
Amazing games that are very underrated, but if any game has DRM skip them, and go for the 360 version that comes with the updated old one plus the new one.

kamspy said:
Worst case scenario it's $6 for a 3-4 year rental. I bought it for about the same from Newegg a few installs ago and I haven't had a problem yet.

Thanks guys. I'm gonna flip a coin or something :lol

Yeah! . . . This fixed my Call of Duty problem:

http://www.filefront.com/16696483/atioglxx.rar
(take it out of the archive and then)
put this file in your cod1 folder (works fine also with all other opengl's games that has the same problem. but i don't know how fix quake live that has corrupted textures...)

is not necessary revert to ccc 10.4 if you try this.

Boo . . . Steam locked me out from buying things again. And strangely, I'm locked out of both my account and my daughters account. :-(

I don't understand that. And I know the paypal account has the money to buy. WTF?

Just Toki Tori and Thief: Dark Shadows for me.

I will say that my new mindset as a busy dad of not having to play games to completion does really help out with these Steam sales. Sure I might buy a few too many games with the low prices, but when I only play games until they start to bore me and then move on to the next, I have time for way more games which works nicely with the Steam sales. I get lots of fun games to play on the PC and I just bounce around between them as I see fit. If there is a cool ~30 hour game that I play $5 for and only play for 5 hours or so I still feel like I've gotten a pretty good deal.

Can someone sell me on Tori Toki? It seems like tons of u guys are buying it but it looked a bit kiddy from the screens I just checked out.

Blizzard

Banned
speculawyer said:

Boo . . . Steam locked me out from buying things again. And strangely, I'm locked out of both my account and my daughters account. :-(

I don't understand that. And I know the paypal account has the money to buy. WTF?
I've never seen someone locked out as much as you. At least these last few times you've only gotten buying disabled, not logging into your account completely, right?

unagisensei said:
Can someone sell me on Tori Toki? It seems like tons of u guys are buying it but it looked a bit kiddy from the screens I just checked out.
I guess it is a little kiddy in terms of the penguin. It's just a puzzle game, and towards the end I've heard it gets complicated. I haven't gotten that far myself. You might be able to find videos on youtube or something.

5il3nc3r

Is Red Faction a good port? I saw Red Faction (PS3) in the bargain bin for $10 but Steam has for $5. I usually prefer to play these open world games on a console but for only $5...

Fredescu

unagisensei said:
It may look kiddy, but you can unlock the guns and gore as early as the second level if you play your cards right. Make no mistake, this is a mature, visceral, cutting edge, fluffy animal murder simulator.

Jirotrom

unagisensei said:
your avatar looks "kiddy"

buy it

5il3nc3r said:
Is Red Faction a good port? I saw Red Faction (PS3) in the bargain bin for $10 but Steam has for $5. I usually prefer to play these open world games on a console but for only $5...
no problems so far

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
P.B. Winterbottom is a lot of fun, and well worth $5 of its normal price. Not sure if the people who made it can profit from it though, since I think it took 3 years to make, and started as a free flash game, but maybe the team was a single guy :lol

Fredescu said:
Make no mistake, this is a mature, visceral, cutting edge, fluffy animal murder simulator.

Well, if that's the case, I'm in, haha. I actually I'm just going to buy it and check it out after realizing that it's only $2.50...for some reason though $5 was the sale price before I double checked.

Twig

Banned
unagisensei said:
It's an awful game you should avoid it at all costs and buy something like Nikopol instead.

Blizzard said:
I've never seen someone locked out as much as you. At least these last few times you've only gotten buying disabled, not logging into your account completely, right?
Yeah, just locked out of buying. Which is probably a good thing. :lol

I think they have pretty tight triggers for fraud detection and you need to realize that I've bought some 100+ games over the past few days (many in packs) some for me and some for others . . . so I understand why I get locked out. :D

I'm just a bit confused as to why my daughter's account got locked out. I guess it has my name on it too.

unagisensei said:
Well, if that's the case, I'm in, haha. I actually I'm just going to buy it and check it out after realizing that it's only $2.50...for some reason though $5 was the sale price before I double checked.

There's a demo of it and it only takes like 150 MB of HD space.

IrishNinja

IrishNinja said:
this is the last day of the sale, right? help me out here, GAF.

I'm thinking of getting The Void at $10 (@#$% missed the $5...new to steam, can i use fan mods/patches? i hear this game goes a lot better if you do), debating Aquaria at $10, mebbe Audiosurf for $5, and...is Machinarium good/worth ten?

throwing around Tales of Monkey Island complete, just gotta see how much it costs on wiiware first.

sorry to bump, GAF...console fanboy giving PC gaming a shot once my backlog's tied up, was looking for ya'lls input. holla!

$01.25: Alien Versus Predator Classic
$33.49: Alpha Protocol
$14.99: Bioshock 2
$06.78: Borderlands: Mad Moxxi/General Knoxx
$03.24: Cryostasis
$04.99: Painkiller
$11.90: Monkey Island Complete Pack

Total: $76.64

Great, nowhere close to $100. And everything but AP was under $20. I'll buy Singularity and Just Cause 2 for the Christmas sale.

TheFatOne said:
I still can't play Borderlands online. I have been trying top play online for an hour already. I can join public games, but I can't make a public or private game with my friend. I tried forwarding my ports but that didn't work. is anyone else having problems with Borderlands?
Yeah, I had this problem when the game first came out. I got pissed and quit the game. The UI, server browser, configuration, etc. for the PC version was piss poor.

I assume they've fixed at least some of that stuff by now. Then again, the fact that there is a Borderlands config editor program tells me that they just let a lot of that shit stay kinda shitty.

speculawyer said:

Locked out as in your account is disabled or only locked out from purchasing games for both accounts?

Zomba13

Sam and Max: The Devils Playhouse
Introversion Complete Pack - Summer 2010
Dragon Age: Origins - The Awakening
The Void
Ghost Master
Cryostasis
Killing Floor

That's what I've bought. I would have bought more if I didn't need to save some money.

IrishNinja said:
sorry to bump, GAF...console fanboy giving PC gaming a shot once my backlog's tied up, was looking for ya'lls input. holla!
Well I'd be completely shocked if Monkey Island stuff was cheaper on the Wii so buy it on the PC.

Lots of people picked Machinarium as their GOTY.

Blizzard

Banned
TheFatOne said:
I still can't play Borderlands online. I have been trying top play online for an hour already. I can join public games, but I can't make a public or private game with my friend. I tried forwarding my ports but that didn't work. is anyone else having problems with Borderlands?
Yep. It was awful when it came out, and I got a pack on release and basically regretted it, not to mention my aversion to paid DLC.

Some people probably claimed that forwarding ports is easy and fixes everything, but unless my cable modem was preventing me from forwarding ports with just my router, it was still awful and broken and sometimes people could join other people and sometimes they just couldn't. I heard they were looking into alternatives, but I don't know if they ever found a better solution. At the very least, lots of fans came up with configuration file fixes and stuff, and they didn't get their threads deleted and whatnot, which is better than say, Codemasters.

TheFatOne

I <3 Memes said:
Gameranger will work. I use it instead of gamespy whenever I can.

http://www.gameranger.com/

Thank you very much sir.

speculawyer said:
Yeah, I had this problem when the game first came out. I got pissed and quit the game. The UI, server browser, configuration, etc. for the PC version was piss poor.

I assume they've fixed at least some of that stuff by now. Then again, the fact that there is a Borderlands config editor program tells me that they just let a lot of that shit stay kinda shitty.

yea I thought it was just bad luck at first. When I googled for a solution it seemed like I wasn't the only one with this issue. Can anyone recommend me a cheap mic for pc?

LovingSteam said:
Locked out as in your account is disabled or only locked out from purchasing games for both accounts?
Locked out from purchasing games from both accounts.

I don't know what is up with my credit card. I assume it is OK, but they probably have their own triggers. But it is so bizarre that neither account allowed me to buy with paypal.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
So, I have a clear picture of the sales figures for Shatter now. During the day of the sale, looks like we sold ~250% of the total units sold up until the sale. In other words, on the day of the sale we sold 2.5 times the number of units more than the total number of units sold during the entire 4 month period since release combined.

Revenue wise, by offering a 75% discount the take per unit was a lot less. So we only did about 64% or 2/3 of the revenue that we had otherwise collected to date. However, important to remember this was one day, so we basically boosted our LTD revenue by 64% in a single day event.

We also had a little spike on streaming and sales of the soundtrack on sale day and beyond. Noticable though not very meaningful in terms of revenue (worth maybe a few hundred dollars to us). We had some modest increases in our Facebook and Twitter followers too.

As for ongoing unit sales, it remains to be seen what the longer term impact is. There is certainly a modest elevated daily sales number, though we kicked off an online advertising campaign on 1 July which may be contributing to that.

All in all, decent revenue spike, and a lot more people playing and enjoying the game. A great result and one we are very happy with.

Salsa

Well, thanks to StayUp for helping me out with these final games, thanks to Speculawyer as well (as always) for trying.

Now to the damage, i got:

Killing Floor
Cryostasis
Serious Sam HD The first encounter
Serious Sam HD The second encounter
Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2
Commandos: Behind enemy lines
Commandos: Beyond the call of duty
Commandos 2
Commandos 3: Destination Berlin
X-Com: UFO Defense
X-Com: Terror from the deep
X-Com: Apocalypse
X-Com: Interceptor
X-Com: Enforcer
Torchlight
Shatter
Madballs in... Babo:Invasion
Winterbottom
Titan Quest
Titan Quest: Immortal Throne
Day of Defeat: Source
Half-Life 2: Episode One
Half-Life 2: Episode Two
Freedom Force
Freedom Force Vs The 3rd Reich
Trine
Red Faction Guerrilla
Time Gentlemen, Please!
Ben There, Dan That!
Toki Tori

Some were gifts.

I dont really wanna do the math.

I regret nothing! :lol

Salacious Crumb

Time for the depressing tally.

Mount and Blade: Warband
Ghost Master
Broken Sword: Twin Pack
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
Freedom Pack
Saints Row 2 (ROW)
Winterbottom
FlatOut Ultimate Carnage (ROW)
Red Faction Guerrilla
The Void
Shatter
Red Orchestra
Call of Duty Pack - Summer 2010
Oddworld Abes Oddysee and Exoddus package
Flotilla
Half-Life 1
SSHD Double Pack (ROW)
Chrome + Chrome: Specforce
Resident Evil 5
Galcon Fusion
Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West
Aliens versus Predator Classic 2000
Introversion Complete Pack - Summer 2010
Bioshock 2
Puzzle Kingdoms
Cryostasis
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (ROW)
Overlord Complete Pack

Total: $162.18 US or $192.40 AU

GOD DAMN. I guess its not too bad when you consider a full priced HD console game is $119 AU here.

My total games tally now stands at 214.

Mario said:
So, I have a clear picture of the sales figures for Shatter now. During the day of the sale, looks like we sold ~250% of the total units sold up until the sale. In other words, on the day of the sale we sold 2.5 times the number of units more than the total number of units sold during the entire 4 month period since release combined.

Revenue wise, by offering a 75% discount the take per unit was a lot less. So we only did about 64% or 2/3 of the revenue that we had otherwise collected to date. However, important to remember this was one day, so we basically boosted our LTD revenue by 64% in a single day event.

We also had a little spike on streaming and sales of the soundtrack on sale day and beyond. Noticable though not very meaningful in terms of revenue (worth maybe a few hundred dollars to us). We had some modest increases in our Facebook and Twitter followers too.

As for ongoing unit sales, it remains to be seen what the longer term impact is. There is certainly a modest elevated daily sales number, though we kicked off an online advertising campaign on 1 July which may be contributing to that.

All in all, decent revenue spike, and a lot more people playing and enjoying the game. A great result and one we are very happy with.
Thanks for sharing! It's great to know the sale truly helped some studios.

Erudite

Tales of Monkey Island
The Void
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom
Thief: Deadly Shadows
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Call of Pripyat
Mount & Blade: Warband
Bioshock 2

Total: $66.50~

Not too bad I guess. Already had a sizable backlog as it is, and now I just made it worse =(

Mario said:

Great news. :)

I myself just missed the sale by a few minutes, but I bought the PS3 version on day one.

Any chance of the PC version enhancements being included in a PS3 version patch?

And so we begin to tally

Devil May Cry 4 $7.50
Dragon Age: Origins $23.99
Shatter $2.50
Half-Life 1 $1.99
FUEL $5.09
Resident Evil 5 $12.50

Total: $53.57. I didn't buy as much as during the holiday sale...I guess I was a bit more picky this time around.

Also, for some weird reason steam is showing games in my list that I never purchased(I mean seriously, I never purchased them). So my game count should be about 54, but its showing I have 72.

Salsa

DigitalSoul said:
Also, for some weird reason steam is showing games in my list that I never purchased(I mean seriously, I never purchased them). So my game count should be about 54, but its showing I have 72.

It now shows some demos and mods. I dont like it.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
CecilRousso said:
Any chance of the PC version enhancements being included in a PS3 version patch?

We'll be bringing across the PC enhancements to the PSN version, but no timeframe for that yet. The whole studio is pretty slammed working on stuff at the moment.

Mario said:

Thanks for sharing that. Very interesting.

Jirotrom

Mario said:

thats great! just wanted to let you know i bought your game on release :D

Blizzard

Banned
Mario said:

Thanks for the information. I was wondering whether the reduced price meant you didn't make enough, but I suppose 64% meant at least a decent revenue spike. Good luck with the studio!

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
GTA 4
Borderlands
Borderlands DLC
Killing Floor

Spent around 30 bucks. I wanted Trine or Torchlight, but forget each time. And now I don't have any spare cash for them. =(

Shaneus

Mario said:
For what it's worth, I've recommended the game to my brother and will do so to anyone who has a system it can be played on. Was going to gift it to him on PC but he spends more time on his PS3 now. I'm sure that at least half those who bought it would gladly recommend it to friends, even if it is full price (which is a drop in the ocean anyway... I recently told someone to just shut up and buy it because he missed it on sale :lol).

Grayman

IrishNinja said:
Audiosurf is great, goes on sale cheap from time to time. If the sale has not ended I would just get audiosurf now because it is playable in single song bursts.

I only played aquaria a little bit but that is supposed to be a really good metroidvania.

Top Bottom