• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Review Thread

Tiops

One of the games that I absolutely do not care about reviews, but I'm happy to see it scoring well.

Real GOTY 2017.

bpzplakjiro24al2eenp.gif

MTC100

Banned
At least we can safely assume P5 does everything right for fans of the series. It's not the universal everbodies darling, but what J-RPG is?

As great as Horizon and Zelda are, Persona 5 is probably going to be my GOTY. That Zelda metascore means very little to me, I can see me playing and enjoying Persona 5 way more.

kromeo

Now the real question is do I go for everything using a guide on I do two playthrough... I don't really look forward to puting 200+ hours on it but on the other hand going in blind... -_-

If there's a different ending for maxing all social links then just watch it online afterwards, constantly having to check a guide for 100 hours isn't my idea of fun

Jolkien

If you want to do everything in one play through, you're going to have to hardcore use a guide. That's all I'll say.

I hope they toned down the ridiculous line from the person helping you like Rise 400+ phrase with no way to track it in game.

Wonder if it's platinumable in 1 go.

GSR

Glixel: Very positive with some story critiques:

Still, among all this skillful yet subtle reinvention, P5 does somewhat stumble at its core competency – the story. Its unabashedly linear construction allows for a stronger, broader main thread than that of Western trope-tellers like Bethesda or even BioWare, and its side content – the quests you complete with your "Confidants" – supports this central plot, rather than distracting from it. However, P5 leans into the usual video game fantasy of unlimited power and prestige a little too readily, even as it rips into territory that most titles of its magnitude and budget avoid, like sexual harassment and real-world governmental unrest. Like its predecessors, Persona 5 is an unabashedly contemporary work that takes great care to deal with these contemporary issues, except this time around, it seems that all of the solutions to these problems begin and end with the unique power of the protagonist and his Phantom Thieves. [...]

Yet some will still prefer it. For all their transcendental qualities, most people missed out on P3 and P4, victims of circumstance and dated aesthetics. With the fifth iteration, you have no excuse. In a year choking with exceptional game after exceptional game, Persona 5 still manages to stand out as the unmissable RPG. For me, it has more soul, passion, humor, and panache packed into one percent of its 100-hour odyssey into thiefhood and triumph than any major release of the past year. Persona 4 brought my love of video games back from the dead. Persona 3 sustained it. And now, Persona 5 proves that it's a love still worth keeping, nearly a decade later.

Looking fantastic. Too bad I'm burned out to play 100+ hour games at the moment, though I can wait till I get it on Summer.

2017 is gonna be a year to remember for gaming, mark my words.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
If you want to do everything in one play through, you're going to have to hardcore use a guide. That's all I'll say.

You don't actually did it blind P5 is a lot more forgiving regarding that compared to previous games and full S.Link max runs. It does take a lot of familiarity with the series though to know what to look for and how to plan for it. But I was really surprised that I managed to do it in the end.

I hope they toned down the ridiculous line from the person helping you like Rise 400+ phrase with no way to track it in game.

Wonder if it's platinumable in 1 go.

Trophy list is super similar to P4G so all I say if you're familiar with that you instantly know why it will take at least 2 playthrough for the platinum. Battle related.

BigEmil

Presumably she judged the game for what it is instead of what it isn't, but rpgs in general feels a lot better on handheld than sitting on the couch for me.

Maybe both she and I will get our wish, when Persona 5 Ruby rolls around for Vita or Switch.
Reviews should only be about the game itself not about what platforms it should be etc that should not be considered in reviews ...

Zhao_Yun

Only a 93 on Metacritic? I thought that the critics were going to like this game more, too bad.

Edit: 94 now which seems better given the insanely positive coverage this game was getting

You realize that we have been spoiled by so many great games this year when people write "only 93"

94 so far! Looking really strong! Hope we can maintain a score in the 90s. Has me way more excited. I knew it would review well, but I've maintained an unhealthy level of hype these past 4 years and it's only going up. 6 more days!

I share the sentiment somewhat that it's not on Vita, but I'm not really that bothered by it because I don't think the Vita could handle a lot of the visual elements in this game too well. Don't really understand knocking it for that, but I understand because it was nice to take P4G on the go. Considering every other Persona game is portable in some capacity, it could happen in the future?

Yeah it did, one of the reasons I stopped playing it.

Same. Then I got to the first dungeon which felt like a copypaste procedural nightmare and nope'd right out of it.

I'm sure it's great or gets better as it goes, but my patience was tested and broken lol.

Top Bottom