• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

I use portrait primarily because its easier to hold it with one hand then landscape. Hell, I even watch movies and shows in portrait.

I don't watch many movies or TV shows on my iPad, but I do the same thing with YouTube/web videos. Occasionally I'll full screen it, see the wasted space and rotate to landscape, but I never last long and definitely prefer portrait and wasted space to full screen landscape.

I get really tickled when I stumble across the odd 3:4 video like http://vimeo.com/41038445

JaseMath

I use portrait if only because that's how I use my iPhone, but lately - especially when surfing the Internet - landscape is pretty nice. It's also 100x easier to type.

After the long and somewhat stupid debate about tablet form factors and how terrible 16:9 devices are in the Windows 8 thread, I finally feel understood. I love you guys. <3

+1 to Portrait. the only times I use landscape are watching videos, landscape games, and the very rare times when I'm using my case at an angle on a table.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Portrait on e-ink Kindle. There is no truly good way to hold the iPad -- they're all flawed. :D

That said iPad plus a stand you like can be godly. I got that compass-looking stand and my wife and I watched 30 Rock on a crowded flight. It was amazing. But I still have not found a truly comfortable natural way to hold it, and don't think I will. (Not that this is horrible or a deal-breaker or anything. I like the nice big screen and that comes at a cost.)

Portrait on e-ink Kindle. There is no truly good way to hold the iPad -- they're all flawed. :D

That said iPad plus a stand you like can be godly. I got that compass-looking stand and my wife and I watched 30 Rock on a crowded flight. It was amazing. But I still have not found a truly comfortable natural way to hold it, and don't think I will. (Not that this is horrible or a deal-breaker or anything. I like the nice big screen and that comes at a cost.)

If the iPad was lighter it would help things

chixdiggit

Gaf I need your help. I am looking for a good checklist app. I need this app to work with pictures. So like I can list 20 things, click on each and see an attached photo.
The only app I could find myself is called Checklist 2. The reviews for it are terrible though.

Teddman

Portrait is best for most uses, but lately I've really been liking landscape for comics. Especially with Smash comic reader, it's nice to read comics at greater-than-printed size.

RPS37

My iPad 3 wont let me UPLOAD videos from avid or music from GarageBand.
It says "error null" or some shit.

What's going on? Anyone know???

EDIT: so GarageBand worked, but still having trouble uploading with Avid. Their support page is hella convoluted.

I picked up the Logitech Ultra Thin keyboard/cover today and just a heads up for everyone else, when its plugged in charging there seems to be some kind of interference that causes it to not work very well, but when its unplugged it works perfectly fine, at least as far as i can tell.

When I first opened it the first thing I did was plugged it in to start charging it up, and I tried using the iPad with it while it was plugged in and it was barely functional. It paired easily without any problems, but I couldnt type a full sentence with it actually registering every keystroke. I would be in the middle of typing something then it would just stop, and then half the time when i was able to type again 3-5 seconds later whatever key i pushed next would just keep repeating over and over without me actually hitting anything

so somehow I got the idea that maybe it being plugged in is causing some kind of interference, and sure enough once I unplugged it it was smooth sailing. I probably need some more time with it to say 100% sure that was the problem but that is the way its looking right now. Good thing the battery on this is supposed to last a long time

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Portrait is best for most uses, but lately I've really been liking landscape for comics. Especially with Smash comic reader, it's nice to read comics at greater-than-printed size.

i go with landscape for everything but instapaper/nyt/ibooks. it feels awkward and top-heavy to me in portrait and pretty natural in landscape

Wolfie5

So, I bought iPad 3 yesterday and I am really satisfied with my purchase. Reading on this thing is just awesome. I am glad I didn´t go with iPad 2(though it looked good as well), but as I will use it more to read(books, magazines, comics, web, etc.) than anything else the iPad 3 is a better choice for me. Text is so crisp and clear, didn´t feel the need to zoom in once.

Too early to draw any conclusions(only used it for one day), but after using iPad 3 surfing the web and reading stuff my eyes felt less tired than I would normally feel surfing the web on my laptop.
What do you guys think? Is it less tiring to the eyes reading on iPad 3 than on a PC monitor?

EDIT: Also, I need some tips on what accessories I should get. I need some sort of cover/case, but don´t know what. Any ideas?

Blackhead

Redarse
Same here. I'm also going with landscape for ebooks, magazines and pdfs now and I previously only read those in portrait. My only other use for the iPad is reading long form articles on websites and even some of those can be preferable in landscape (grantland for example). I wouldn't mind a landscape only tablet with a 13" or 15" retina display.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
lol I'm avoiding the software update because it seems like too much work. It should just do it automatically.
This is not a troll post I'm sitting here eating a peanut butter honey and mymipad died and turned back on and I cancelled the update and got annoyed.

Blackhead

Redarse
lol I'm avoiding the software update because it seems like too much work. It should just do it automatically.
This is not a troll post I'm sitting here eating a peanut butter honey and mymipad died and turned back on and I cancelled the update and got annoyed.

Too much work? I don't think it even asks for your password. Get it started from Settings, come back 5 minutes later and it's rebooted and done. I was holding out but the new firmware has been jailbroken so no point in not doing it.

LCfiner

itunes updates used to be bit of a pain since it had to download around 700 MB of data and you had to keep the iphone plugged in during the update. But OTA updates are a breeze, just like Greyface said. takes 5 minutes. just do it at a time when you're not expecting phone calls. it's finished before you know it.

The new Yorker looks great but not at $60, and edge at $40 is double the price of other game mags, it's a digital copy so I don't understand why price is so high

bought EDGE on sale. I think I paid $27 for a 1 year sub. And with the move to retina; I'm actually using zinio app more and I've bought a lot of mags of late.

follow @ziniodeals and makes sure you check their website from time to time for promos. bought a few 2 year for 1 subs last week.

bought EDGE on sale. I think I paid $27 for a 1 year sub. And with the move to retina; I'm actually using zinio app more and I've bought a lot of mags of late.

follow @ziniodeals and makes sure you check their website from time to time for promos. bought a few 2 year for 1 subs last week.

They work with newsstand?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

Yeah how is Zinio overall? I actually have the app but have been sticking mostly to Newsstand. Not opposed to trying it out though depending how good of an implementation it is. (Newsstand is super hit or miss. Actually mostly miss except for about four publications.)

sfedai0

Banned
Zinio is retina ready and it has a simple and easy to use interface. A good culmination of free articles from different genres and all your subs are downloaded automatically.

I dont use Newstand as I feel its pretty much the same thing. Kinda like Kinda and iBooks.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I just bought it yesterday. NOOOOOOOO

Totally worth the full price, though. Fantastic app.

lol...yeah i picked up the iphone version awhile back when it was free for a day. was waiting for the ipad version price drop ever since i picked up my ipad3. It does need a retina display update though.

my paragpraphs on ZINIO went MIA when web burped.

Zinio is great. can read on other platforms. Do great deals - 2 year subs. Also do BLACKFRIDAY deals. I also have mags from when ereading was taking of 1-2 year subs - that are ALL tied to my account and I can go back and download them. This digital sub isn't going anywhere

Try it with one of their cheaper subs - say PAPER/NYLON guys (both good reads). Plus if you get giftcards on sale; even cheaper.

The retina update has been great for magazines in general.

I prefer it to newstand but you should jump btw them to check prices + offers.

* I don't seem to have download any zinio mags with links to video as newstand version can. (eg WIRED). not that i missed it.

I would agree, if they didn't have that touch-enabled Windows 8 app. I want them to roll that into one app.

Oh yeah, that test bed application was kind of a dick move... I hope that once W8 launches they either bring the two apps together or at least considerably lower the price of the other app...

Just drove out 40 minutes to find the last iPad in 50 miles for my mom. I'm setting it up for her before tomorrow and so far I have
- Flipboard
- Pandora
- Facebook
- Netflix
- Kindle
- Epicurious
Am I missing any more "essential" apps?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Just downloaded it, it's really cool and works, don't know if I'll ever use it much because my laptop is usually on sleep whe I'm not using it

I'm sure there are plenty of better ways to do this but I mainly use it to browse video streaming sites that use flash like Hulu. It works surprisingly well.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
That, and I really don't like the sharper edges of the iPad 2/3. I find the OG iPad much more comfortable to hold.

I thought I was crazy cause every review talks about how awesome the design is on it yet I can't hold it without a case. It immediately becomes uncomfortable because of the sharp edges.

I thought I was crazy cause every review talks about how awesome the design is on it yet I can't hold it without a case. It immediately becomes uncomfortable because of the sharp edges.

The edges have never been an issue for me, it's just the weight becomes an issue after long sessions

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Edges get me as well in portrait mode because of the top-heavy weight. One of the reasons I generally prefer landscape.

Any top tips for a new iPad user? To help make my expierence more enjoyable! Also with the new iPad I can only check and send email with a wifi connection right?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I finally started using them seriously, and New Yorker and Vanity Fair apps are really nicely done. Just wish there was an easier way to bookmark stuff for later reading (or, God forbid, send to Instapaper) (actually Apple should implement OS-level bookmarking for Newsstand apps so you could at least have a single repository for those) but the apps are nice enough that I don't mind being confined for now.

Top Bottom