• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro & PSVR December deals(US)

Unknown?

From the 10th to 24th Sony has deals on PSVR. The GT Sport bundle is going for $199. It uses the first version of headset but still an amazing deal. Doom will be $299 and the Skyrim bundle is back for $349.

A lot of people were complaining about no deals on the Pro for Black Friday (officially) and now all bundles are $50 off from December 10 to the 16th. Seems to me like they’re discounting the Pro for a week to bring back the $199 Slim the second week.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...deals-for-ps4-pro-and-playstation-vr-systems/

The_Afroman

Oooo Just bought a PS4 Pro a few days ago, looks like on the 10th i am heading to Best Buy to get a price adjustment.

Thanks for the heads up.

fvng

I'm so fucking satisfied with my PSVR purchase. First time I've felt that in a while but I'm strictly only buying games on sale

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Pro and slim is good deal.

VR is not, once you have your intial "wow", the content does not motivate one enough to forgive the grips of VR in its current state.

Krisprolls

Banned

VR is not, once you have your intial "wow", the content does not motivate one enough to forgive the grips of VR in its current state.

This is completely wrong. PSVR has tons of great content and it's absolutely worth the price. Immersion is second to none.

Sosokrates

This is completely wrong. PSVR has tons of great content and it's absolutely worth the price. Immersion is second to none.

The content aint bad but its not good enough to mitigate the price of entry and the price of entry is
Sickness/nausea
Low resolution
Eye strain
Head strain
Set up

VR is just not at that point yet, yes it is immersive and Impressive tech but its issues are there and theres no game on VR that is as good as the best traditional games.

VR in it current state reminds me of arcade games with a full light gun setup or the racing arcade games with a moving car you play on.For an hour or two these games are great, but theres a reason why they are not that popular for home consoles.

And this aint just my opinion the sales figures speak for themselves.
VR at this point is a public R&D project not a profitable business.

In 10 yrs when all the kinks are figured out I will be there, but now the product is not good enough And I wont shell out for these massive companies to do there beta testing.

Wonko_C

VR in it current state reminds me of arcade games with a full light gun setup or the racing arcade games with a moving car you play on.For an hour or two these games are great, but theres a reason why they are not that popular for home consoles.

This is a positive to me: VR is like re-living the beginning of videogames. And I feel short bursts, mechanics-driven arcade experiences is what it's best at and I love it for that. And it will only get better from here on as it evolves.

The content aint bad but its not good enough to mitigate the price of entry and the price of entry is
Sickness/nausea
Low resolution
Eye strain
Head strain
Set up

VR is just not at that point yet, yes it is immersive and Impressive tech but its issues are there and theres no game on VR that is as good as the best traditional games.

In 10 yrs when all the kinks are figured out I will be there, but now the product is not good enough And I wont shell out for these massive companies to do there beta testing.

To be honest, this is just a recap of all the complaints I have heard about VR in the past 2 years, all in one post. Nothing really new here. It is what most people say that do not own VR or haven't spent very much time with it.

Honestly, I am one of these old man gamers, and I love VR. I have dealt with all these issues in one way or another, but actually playing the games, all of these worries just go away! When I strap on a short VR experience, an Indie VR game, or jump into some of the bigger AAA VR Games, I dont think of any of these and none of them get in my way of an awesome experience.

Sorry that every single VR complaint seems to be an issue with you plugging in! You would really enjoy it.

Bowler

What? This right here is a positive

Sosokrates

To be honest, this is just a recap of all the complaints I have heard about VR in the past 2 years, all in one post. Nothing really new here. It is what most people say that do not own VR or haven't spent very much time with it.

Honestly, I am one of these old man gamers, and I love VR. I have dealt with all these issues in one way or another, but actually playing the games, all of these worries just go away! When I strap on a short VR experience, an Indie VR game, or jump into some of the bigger AAA VR Games, I dont think of any of these and none of them get in my way of an awesome experience.

Sorry that every single VR complaint seems to be an issue with you plugging in! You would really enjoy it.

Its not an issue with me, its real issues with the product.Clearly some people love VR, a few million have sold and I think VR can one day be great.
But with VR I dont feel any urge to go back and play. The experiences are just to similar and oncr you have spent a good few hrs with it, they are not compelling enough to go through it all.
I get you and many others really like it, but the same thing happened with kinect.

MultiCore

Its not an issue with me, its real issues with the product.Clearly some people love VR, a few million have sold and I think VR can one day be great.
But with VR I dont feel any urge to go back and play. The experiences are just to similar and oncr you have spent a good few hrs with it, they are not compelling enough to go through it all.
I get you and many others really like it, but the same thing happened with kinect.
It's absolutely nothing like Kinect.

I encourage you to wait until you see the headsets at a point that you think you'll be satisfied with, but the experiences available today can be absolutely incredible.

Resident Evil 7 proved you could do a triple A game in VR, Skyrim is showing you can do a 200 hour RPG, with multiple control schemes that work.

To quote Gerstman, if you want "game-ass-games" in VR, they're on PSVR today. Not all of them, and they're not all flawless, but Doom VFR with the Aim has been incredible, Farpoint was a great intro to VR FPSs, there are great strategy and platformer titles, Eve Valkyrie plays really well, the list of good games is longer than you have time for.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark

All it takes is for SONY to release a SOCOM, or Killzone VR for the sucker to sky rocket. The headset itself has gone through a refresh already that features improvements. And in 10 years when people say “no one bought PS VR” we can point to no one wanting to adapt to it early, giving it a chance, the thing isn’t going to be a masterpiece out the gate, you got to start somewhere.

Sosokrates

All it takes is for SONY to release a SOCOM, or Killzone VR for the sucker to sky rocket. The headset itself has gone through a refresh already that features improvements. And in 10 years when people say “no one bought PS VR” we can point to no one wanting to adapt to it early, giving it a chance, the thing isn’t going to be a masterpiece out the gate, you got to start somewhere.

I guess its like the early days of android phones.

But right now the VR devices are not serious entertainment consumption devices.
The tech is good for no longer then 30min sessions for most people.

And you cant blame the consumer for not buying a problematic product.
Sony and Facebook could of spent far less worked away at VR and then release in 2025 when the tech is ready, but I understand why they released now because realeasing when they did benifits in these ways:
1.they get to improve a product, while selling it and make some money back.
2.they also get user and dev feedback which will speed up development as opposed to in house R & D.

The issues Ive brought up are the reasons why VR in its current state wont sell what Facebook want it to sell.Facebook want VR to be as coomon as the smartphone.

I guess its like the early days of android phones.

But right now the VR devices are not serious entertainment consumption devices.
The tech is good for no longer then 30min sessions for most people.

And you cant blame the consumer for not buying a problematic product.
Sony and Facebook could of spent far less worked away at VR and then release in 2025 when the tech is ready, but I understand why they released now because realeasing when they did benifits in these ways:
1.they get to improve a product, while selling it and make some money back.
2.they also get user and dev feedback which will speed up development as opposed to in house R & D.

The issues Ive brought up are the reasons why VR in its current state wont sell what Facebook want it to sell.Facebook want VR to be as coomon as the smartphone.

Its a bit of a niche product but there's still money to be made, fun to be had for millions of people, and it will push the medium forward faster.

Psvr at these sale prices and the catalogue of games is a great toy to pick up and have some fun with. Ive put hundreds of hours in to my mine and had plenty of multi-hour long sessions getting lost in games. The graphics are a lot better than most of the retro systems i play.

Sosokrates

Its a bit of a niche product but there's still money to be made, fun to be had for millions of people, and it will push the medium forward faster.

Psvr at these sale prices and the catalogue of games is a great toy to pick up and have some fun with. Ive put hundreds of hours in to my mine and had plenty of multi-hour long sessions getting lost in games. The graphics are a lot better than most of the retro systems i play.

Yes,
But for the reasons I stated I think I would play a lot of it for a week and then not be bothered with it after that.
At these prices some could buy it not with the intention of it being a long term investment but just a cool thing to play around with.but for me to spend a good chunk of change on something like VR I want it to be an aplliance I use everyday like a tv, phone, console etc.
Vr for me has to be as accesable as headphones are now, where the headset can rest on my side table and I can just effortlessly slip them on my head and bam im in prestine perfect VR.
So , I hope VR does well and iam happy that early adopters are enjoying it, you guys will make the good version possible.

Sickness/nausea
Low resolution
Eye strain
Head strain
Set up

The sales figures could also indicate that it's not at mass market price yet, which it isn't. When someone can walk into a store and buy a complete bundle with wireless headset,sensors and controllers for $199, if sales are flat-lining at that point then this may be more indicative of a general lack of interest. The reality is, no matter how much better the tech gets it's probably always going to be a sub-genre of the gaming market, but that doesn't mean it can't be a successful compliment to regular gaming in its own right. We're still very much in the 'wait and see' phase.

BANGS

Banned
It's almost like VR being good enough to support it's cost is... subjective...

Who woulda thunk?

But yeah I'm one of those who agrees that VR is a waste of time. Go into a best buy and try a demo for a few minutes. That's all it will take to fully judge it. At this point you either embrace it or say "wow that's cool but way too expensive for a dumb gimmick" and walk away...

The problem I have with VR is that it does absolutely nothing to enhance the "normal" video game experience. It makes it worse actually by strapping a giant heavy piece of shit to your forehead and press the screen against your pupils. It's supposed to be it's own kind of experience, the "immersive" experience...

But it's just not immersive. Using wand controllers or whatever just feels stupid, it can't properly detect your movement as you're not actually walking around a big empty room. The motion detection is always just a little bit off, and that paired with the latency makes looking around have just a "fake" feel to it. It just doesn't at all do even a halfway decent job of fooling you into thinking you're actually in the game. It's about as immersive as pressing your face against your fish tank and pretending you're in the ocean...

Top Bottom