• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the Rayman Legends devs aren't happy with the delay. WiiU version done?

I wonder what their projected sales for Legends on WiiU was, must have been small enough that adding a marketing budget on top didn't make it worth while releasing before the other 2 versions are ready.

What are the sales for ZombiU at now?

Although I was reconsidering buying the game, after reading that I have decided to buy it because:

1) I loved Origins
2) Legends looks awesome
3) I was going to buy it after the first delay
4) I like this development team and I want to support them and the fact that they seem to have been fucked over by executives only makes that feeling stronger.

CronoShot

Sorry devs, but I can't support shit like this. At best I'll get the Wii U version after a price drop, although it's more likely that I won't get it at all.

Nerdstrom

Banned
Wii U has to be doing awful for them to hold back the game because it's obvious that's what's going on. If there were money to be made they'd release now but it seems the return simply won't be there to push one version of the game early then remarket the game again in 6 months. Do it all at once and the ps360 versions make up for the Wii U loss and Nintendo fans still get their game.

Would you rather this or the studio shut down when the Wii U version inevitably fails on its own?

beje

Banned
I wouldn't even call this shady, just seems like a business decision to be able to launch all platforms together and put all the marketing into one launch. Unless I missed something (besides just the disappointment of having to wait) I'm not sure the "BOYCOTT UBI!" outcries are necessary.

Just my two cents.

When you make a risky decision you have to put all the pros and cons on the scale. Bad part for Ubisoft fat cats is that, probably guessing they're most likely people over 50 that have never touched a videogame and don't know how does the internet work, they didn't see the shitstorm and PR disaster incoming despite all the warnings.

Ydahs

You're delusional if you think this game would have sold any better in February.

Which has a chance of selling better? An uncontested hyped exclusive released in the month of February, right in the middle of a WiiU drought or a delayed title, now multiplatform, releasing in a congested gaming month where there will surely be more Nintendo titles attracting all the attention of WiiU gamers?

jacksrb

Interesting.

If you guys are so excited about the game that it (the delay/loss of exclusivity) really pisses you off, I don't think not buying a game that you love for wii u is the way to get the message across to ubi. If the wii u version sells poorly, that will only reinforce this and similar decisions.

Although I was reconsidering buying the game, after reading that I have decided to buy it because:

1) I loved Origins
2) Legends looks awesome
3) I was going to buy it after the first delay
4) I like this development team and I want to support them and the fact that they seem to have been fucked over by executives only makes that feeling stronger.

I have decided to buy it because newegg screwed up and offered the game at a budget $50 and then had a $10 discount for preordering so I get it $40 new.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Really dumb. Makes me
Wonder if ubisoft recieved any pressure or incentive from microsoft or sony ..

The pressure they received was from Nintendo.

You have something like just over 2 million WiiU owners right now vs nearly 150 million PS360 owners. Ubisoft did the math and realised that for them. It wasn't worth it.

Who's fault. Nintendo for not having a much bigger user base at this time.

Which has a chance of selling better? An uncontested hyped exclusive released in the month of February, right in the middle of a WiiU drought or a delayed title, now multiplatform, releasing in a congested gaming month where there will surely be more Nintendo titles attracting all the attention of WiiU gamers?

A Multiplatform game with marketing behind it as well as recent website coverage at the start of the Holiday pushing season prime for sales on 3 consoles at the busiest time of the year for shopping.

Um, that's most likely when Nintendo will actually be releasing their games.

What games?

Eusis

Pretty crazy. I hate to sound like a broken record but the Wii U truly is screwed when it comes to third party games.
It's mainly with major western third parties, and that's usually because they're absolute bullshit on any kind of exclusive title release. It's not really a WRONG philosophy given accessibility is good and games may not really need to stay bound to one platform or another, but it seems they care even less for a platforms distinct advantages and are less tolerant of just making a late port later on (and fucking it up if they do). Just look at Dragon Age's delay, or this, they were geared more for their platforms specifically but got hit with delays just to be multiplatform.

Of course, western third parties also keep screwing over Nintendo with their promised exclusives. Little wonder Nintendo wants to reach out to Japanese publishers to get their games brought over instead.

beast786

I am going to buy this for my wii u in September . because I am a gamer and that is what I do. not going to punish my self.

DaBoss

A Multiplatform game with marketing behind it as well as recent website coverage at the start of the Holiday pushing season prime for sales on 3 consoles at the busiest time of the year for shopping.

That did well for Rayman Origins didn't it? Oh wait...

Rayman has a small chance of it doing well at that time of the year. Though to be fair, Rayman Origins was released in November, while Legends is going to release in September where it will be less busy.

Kifimbo

The pressure they received was from Nintendo.

You have something like just over 2 million WiiU owners right now vs nearly 150 million PS360 owners. Ubisoft did the math and realised that for them. It wasn't worth it.

Who's fault. Nintendo for not having a much bigger user base at this time.

But in September, against GTA V and the new consoles on the horizon, the game has no chance.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I'm still getting it for the U because it looks like a great game (judging by the demo) and there's nothing us as customers can do to speed things up at this point. Those fucking jokers have screwed up and it will probably bomb, but missing a game out of being - rightfully - pissed off at Ubisoft would be counterproductive for us. It won't "show them" anything, it will only diminish the chances of getting more original, fresh games. My opinion

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

Also, for the what were inevitable PS3/X360 versions, they won't be trying to hock them for brand new prices with Rayman Legends U littering bargain bins across countries to the call of "Even those WiiU owners ent buying it!".

That did well for Rayman Origins didn't it? Oh wait...

Rayman has a small chance of it doing well at that time of the year. Though to be fair, Rayman Origins was released in November.

In last years conference call Ubisoft remarked that Origins was profitable and that they were making Rayman into one of their active franchises so it wasn't all doom and gloom for that game.

even if this is true, I feel sorry for the devs but if you go out and buy the game in September we are still supporting the fuckers who made this decision for whatever reason.

this is totally shitty

Sorry for the devs. But I can't support something like this.

And if the higher-ups that's one more reason to boycott a company.
1) not caring about its employees and
2) not caring about their customers make two good reason to boycott them until they change their way of doing things.

Gadirok

Yeah, releasing one middling launch title totally makes up for something like this.

Is that so? As the only real original third party exclusive on the system, I have to give Ubisoft some cred for what they did.

Besides Nintendo of course, Ubisoft has shown the most support for the Wii-U. Would you rather have it so Ubisoft behave like the rest of the publishers out there?

I'm guessing they lost some incentive from Nintendo to bail out on them like this.

PhantomR

Banned
So are we done blaming Nintendo for this?

Are we done blaming Nintendo for Capcom's decision with Monster Hunter Ultimate online being region locked?

Are we done blaming Nintendo for Capcom not having Monster Hunter 3DS online?

Are we done blaming Nintendo for EA fucking us over with no DLC for Mass Effect 3?

Are we done blaming Nintendo for Black Ops 2 Wii U not having DLC?

Is Nintendo blameless in all situations? Of course not. Absolutely not. But to blame Nintendo for bullshit decisions that INDEPENDENT FUCKING COMPANIES make smacks of absolutely ridiculousness and idiocy. Seriously.

Really sorry to hear that about the devs. As pissed as I am, I'll buy the game. Ancel and his team deserve the credit and the cash. Unfortunately, I can't trust Yves anymore. And that's really too bad.

JDSN

Banned
Well what we need is a journalist to ask them point blank about this direct quote and see what they say, someone to explain and ask them if they realize they are sending Rayman out to die, and see what they say in response. This way at least they know when the game dies, it isn't because of "fans".

Hahahahahaha. I just pictured Doritopope asking this.

If the Wii U version is indeed complete, I have no idea why they would hold it back. WiiU owners (even as limited in numbers as they are) are looking for games, and if anything, positive word of mouth would help for the later releases. If all the releases come out in September, not only will they be competing with GTA and the holiday ramp up, but will also get tuned out from new console buzz. This is a major window of opportunity to have people talking about your game and possibly be heard, and yet it gets pushed back...just makes no sense whatsoever.

jwk94

Not buying the game doesn't give the message that it's not okay to delay the game; it gives the impression that you don't want more games like it full stop. I guess the best way to respond is to directly contact Ubisoft to voice your disapproval rather than punish the hardworking devs with a game bombing.

exactly!

jerd

Any way you slice it, this isn't ok. I hope this post gets published all over. Personally, I was hoping it would get released multiplat even though U is the only console I own right now, because games like this need to succeed. Should have been developed for all platforms from the beginning.

Top Bottom