• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the advantages and disadvantages of english as a global language

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really the title says it all. Although English is not my first language, I have grown to admire its properties that can make it THE universal language of the world. This thread is to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of that theory. Please discuss only practical linguistic points, not things like "the peoples around the world will always hold onto their native language so it's impractical" or "american imperialism lol." DIscuss only the linguistic pragmatism or lack thereof.

With that in mind, I think English is the best candidate for universal, global language that i so far know of. Yes i know it's already 'the language of business' and the 'language of internet,' but with the declining power of US, the rise of China, and the inevitable rise of Second World countries [ex: brazil, china, india, maybe russia] and considering the growing complaints by other countries on the fact that much of the Internet control lies within the US [california, i think?], English's popular status is in trouble.

so Here are the advantages of English being a universal, pan-global language:

1 - no accents, squiggly marks, weird punctuation, etc.

2 - no gender-related stuff

3 - no differentiation between 'formal, respectful' language and 'casual' language, such as in french or spanish

4 - it is a physicallly linear, purely left to right language. compare this with [all?] asian languages, for example, where the structure is more in 'blocks' of syllables. This is important in terms of space and legibility. This is highly important to Internet, for example, URLs.

5 - English is already truly widespread around the world. Yes, we have British and Americanophile domination to thank for that, but would that really have had happened if English was not a pretty simple and easy language to learn? As a side note regarding the widespread nature: tho Mandarin speakers far outnumber Enlgish speakers, the latter are far more spread apart - and all in the right places, ie. the travelers, politicians, businessmen already are versed into English, while the bulk of Mandarin speakers still live as rural people.

6 - this is a bit subjective, but i think Enlgish is very 'nice-sounding' and 'neutral.' Compare this with CHinese or SPanish, both of which are harsh and sharp. British and Japanese sound 'cultured'' and 'sophisticated,' german sounds 'guttural' while french sounds 'flowing' and 'smooth.' English, tho, is a languagae that few people use with much speed [in contrast, spanish or french], and again this is highly subjective point, but it sounds NEUTRAL.

7 - the english version of saying something seems to be shorter and more concise than, say, the french and spanish equivalents. Having lived in parts of Canada and Central America, i know that products with two latin-based languages on them [ex: cereal boxes with EVERYTHING on two languages in Canada] almost always have the English version be smaller, require less words, and be more to-the-point.

8 - grammar is a breeze. "I, you, we, them" verb forms share the exact same version of the verb, and the "he" form is usually only marginally different. And there isn't a "you all" form either. This is related to points 2 and 3. FOr example, articles are merely 'a' 'an' and 'the.'

9 - already, English has proven to be very flexible in both accepting foreign language words into ENglish vocabulary, and melding English vocabulary into foreign language. For all those whose first language isn't English, you know what i'm talking about.

10 - This one's a bit subjective too but: there is something called a Sapir-Whorf principle, which states that our language is the thing that defines our culture, and defines our perception of the world. As most of the world's culture has historically been family-centered, community-centered, anti-rational, anti-individualism, conservative societies, the Americans have been one of the principle leaders in emphasizing individuality, independence, and rationality [ex: see point 3]. According to the SW principle, you see this in the English language, however miniscule or imperceptible it may seem. And although I have huge problems with American nationalism and general fuckedupness of today's AMerica, it is still far more open-minded and individual-centric than most of teh rest of the world.

11 - only 26 letters, with 5 vowels and 14 consonents, period.

12 - the word FUCK. I don't know a powerful word more eloquent or beautiful than it. [ex: Shabbat Shalom, motherFUCKERS!!]

and so on. Maybe you can come up with more.

Now, I'm not supporting AMerican global domination/influence. [ex: i hate the American system of measurement: gallon, inch, mile, etc] We've already seen the championing of similar, idiotic ideas from many sectors of US, and we know some of the disastrous results of it. This thread is all about a universal language, one that is shared around the world. English is the closest example we have, but its historically unique, special status is not permanent nor stable. China will be the next America, India may be the next RUssia [?] and America's inevitable decline has been accelerated in part by other countries but for the most part by blind actions within. I'm just arguing that ENglish is the easiest, simplest, most adaptable language in the world. Plus, internet is like my eternally-curvacious daily fuckbuddy, and I don't want it to change ;p

oh, and esperanto is not as 'simple' as its proponents make out to be, so that's like a dead language. It's not even mccain vs. huckabbee, it's more like obama vs. clinton.

Siltis

Banned
Advantages: I know it, America fuck yeah and all that good stuff
Disadvantages: other ppl lik 2 butcher it, also kotaku knows it

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
languages with random gender assignments for words can go fuck themselves silly.

Fuzzery

LETS ALL LEARN TERRAN
bub02.jpg

Zoe

laesperanzapaz said:
8 - grammar is a breeze. "I, you, we, them" verb forms share the exact same version of the verb, and the "he" form is usually only marginally different. And there isn't a "you all" form either. This is related to points 2 and 3. FOr example, articles are merely 'a' 'an' and 'the.'

Verb forms are typically seen as the largest DISadvantage for English. There are way too many exceptions out there.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
laesperanzapaz said:

'Merely'? Plenty of languages don't have those articles at all. And until you've tried teaching a Russian exactly when to use 'a' and when to use 'the' you have no comprehension of how complex the question actually is.

English has an obscene number of irregular verbs and nouns, and tends to be more complex and arbitrary grammatically than languages with what initially appear to be larger sets of grammar rules.

Most of your arguments are sickeningly anglocentric and boil down to "I think English should be the #1 language because I already speak it."

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
The main disadvantages of the English language in my eyes:

Not precise enough: many languages use the scientific terminology and update their common language accordingly, not so in English. You meaning one person or many person is an example.

Too many pronounciations to choose: you say tomatoe... I absolutely hate this, since I've lived in many parts of the world, I've been making fun of for using certain pronounciations for words, and not for others. For many other languages, only the accent changes, the prounciation is the same.

shpankey

not an idiot
after trying to learn French for 4 semesters, I agree. :D

nice post btw... you speak English better than 90% of americans, myself included. we only gloss over grammar in the 9th grade usually... which leaves us in the state you are reading this very moment. :lol the brits are awesome at it though ;)

my french teacher has to spend at least half of every semester teaching proper english to the class before she can teach it in french. she said this is always the case.

i want to add something to your list, english is easier to type. i hate having to do all the alt codes to get in the accent aigu's and graves and all that shit... ;P

Zyzyxxz

I've thought of this as well, it is true that English is very easy to learn compared to many other languages and it is taught widely around the world.

I know in Hong Kong English is a must in Universities (as Mandarin speaking mainlanders also attend the university and Hong Kong-ers have not universally adopted Mandarin therefore english is the common language in the classroom)

Unfortunately some Europeans speak better english than some of the idiotic American youth, our education system lacks in two important areas geography and language arts (most students do not understand the concepts of tenses other than present, past, and future)

laesperanzapaz said:
Although English is not my first language.
English is my first language... and after reading that, I'm of the opinion that you have a better way with words than I do.

Anyway, I believe that the English Language's main stumbling block comes from it's pronunciation. IIRC, there are 7 different ways that the letters 'ough' can be vocalized. Must be such a pain for students. I often wonder if over time, the English will evolve into an 'exception' free language... "Yesterday, I goed to see a movie." etc

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
English is a horrible choice for a global language.

1.) First of all it is extremely hard to learn the language if you don't grow up with it.
2.) Secondly, there is an exception to every god damn rule in English, it really isn't a well made language.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
marvelharvey said:
I often wonder if over time, the English will evolve into an 'exception' free language... "Yesterday, I goed to see a movie." etc

Very doubtful. It's the most commonly used words that tend to develop irregular forms - which is why the verb 'to be' is so vilely irregular in almost all languages.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
grandjedi6 said:
English is a horrible choice for a global language.

1.) First of all it is extremely hard to learn the language if you don't grow up with it.
2.) Secondly, there is an exception to every god damn rule in English, it really isn't a well made language.

Are you a native english speaker?

1. everyone I've met from germany and holland says it's piss easy. Plus I know a shit load of chinese and australians that speak nearly perfect english.
3. try dutch :mad

Zoe

I actually miss studying French. It was so structured--we started off every class with a "verb race" where the teacher would give us a verb+pronoun and we'd have to list off all 20+ conjugations.

Um, what?

English is HORRIBLY difficult to learn. Ignore the fact that it has a shitload of synonyms for every word. The articles, the pluralization, and the conjugation of verbs (and participles, gerunds, SUBJUNCTIVE MOOD) is so goddamn irregular and arbitrary that its nothing but a continuous clusterfuck of rules that contradict each other.

And pronunciation and spelling! Oh ho, you have to love a language that chooses to be phonetic one instance, then completely reversed the other times. You know the vowel rules of pronunciation? "a" has a long sound if there is one consonant between it and e, in which case the E is silent? What the fuck is this, Sudoku? Why do I have to count the letters?

And the simplicity of grammar! We have so many stupid rules, the population just ignores them rather than bother with them (split infinitives, ending a sentence on a preposition).

takotchi

It would be nice if there was one language everybody in the world used... something simple and regular. Writing system like Korean's hangul, the lack of the silly formal/casual/etc. forms like English, no irregular verbs, etc.

Too bad it won't happen any time in the conceivable future... ugh.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Inflammable Slinky said:
We have so many stupid rules, the population just ignores them rather than bother with them (split infinitives, ending a sentence on a preposition).

Some of these aren't rules per se - more like style guidelines, and outdated ones at that.

The most annoying rules are the ones that native speakers pick up through repetition and couldn't explain if they were asked to. Again, something that you only really realise when you have to try and explain them to people who don't speak English as their first language.

tnw

Banned
one nice thing about english is that its internet encoding is unified. Japanese is so fucking retarded in this respect.

encoding-wise, an alphabet-based language is easier at least I think so, which knocks out quite a few languages.

and yeah, I think your opinions are kind of anglophilic, but I guess I agree with the way you hear languages.

Unfortunately some Europeans speak better english than some of the idiotic American you

Maybe northern Europeans. I met this Italian guy last week in his 30's, and he couldn't understand anything I was saying. It was really weird. French people too suck at/ dislike speaking English.

English is such a hodgepodge of different languages, which is both a count in favor and against it for a global language.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
catfish said:

1. everyone I've met from germany and holland says it's piss easy. Plus I know a shit load of chinese and australians that speak nearly perfect english.

That is just what I've been told foreign language teachers. I myself suck at languages.

Though it does make sense. The English language has exceptions to every rule to the point where it would be hard to simply "learn" it from a book

quaere

Doesn't matter. English wins. The only real competitor is Spanish, which is hurt by Brazil being Portuguese speaking. The other alternatives - Chinese, Hindi, Arabic - will never spread beyond their existing speakers due to the inefficiency in computer input.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
catfish said:

English is quite closely related to German, though, which would explain why it's easier for them. Also I'm calling your bluff about Australians speaking perfect English. That's just an outright lie, isn't it? :p

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Inflammable Slinky said:
Um, what?

English is HORRIBLY difficult to learn. Ignore the fact that it has a shitload of synonyms for every word. The articles, the pluralization, and the conjugation of verbs (and participles, gerunds, SUBJUNCTIVE MOOD) is so goddamn irregular and arbitrary that its nothing but a continuous clusterfuck of rules that contradict each other.

And pronunciation and spelling! Oh ho, you have to love a language that chooses to be phonetic one instance, then completely reversed the other times. You know the vowel rules of pronunciation? "a" has a long sound if there is one consonant between it and e, in which case the E is silent? What the fuck is this, Sudoku? Why do I have to count the letters?

And the simplicity of grammar! We have so many stupid rules, the population just ignores them rather than bother with them (split infinitives, ending a sentence on a preposition).
at least we don't assign our nouns tits and dicks.

batbeg

catfish said:

Er...

Anyway, I somewhat agree with the OP, but I've always assumed that English would be difficult due to all the exceptions we have in our grammar. Other languages seem to be based more firmly in established rules and codes, which are easier for our brain to learn (see: child saying "mouses" - they make the word because they've learned how to make plurals, and are not yet aware of the numerous exceptions English has).

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
laesperanzapaz said:
Really the title says it all. Although English is not my first language, I have grown to admire its properties that can make it THE universal language of the world. This thread is to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of that theory. Please discuss only practical linguistic points, not things like "the peoples around the world will always hold onto their native language so it's impractical" or "american imperialism lol." DIscuss only the linguistic pragmatism or lack thereof.

With that in mind, I think English is the best candidate for universal, global language that i so far know of. Yes i know it's already 'the language of business' and the 'language of internet,' but with the declining power of US, the rise of China, and the inevitable rise of Second World countries [ex: brazil, china, india, maybe russia] and considering the growing complaints by other countries on the fact that much of the Internet control lies within the US [california, i think?], English's popular status is in trouble.

so Here are the advantages of English being a universal, pan-global language:

3 - no differentiation between 'formal, respectful' language and 'casual' language, such as in french or spanish

7 - the english version of saying something seems to be shorter and more concise than, say, the french and spanish equivalents. Having lived in parts of Canada and Central America, i know that products with two latin-based languages on them [ex: cereal boxes with EVERYTHING on two languages in Canada] almost always have the English version be smaller, require less words, and be more to-the-point.

9 - already, English has proven to be very flexible in both accepting foreign language words into ENglish vocabulary, and melding English vocabulary into foreign language. For all those whose first language isn't English, you know what i'm talking about.

1 is plain out wrong. Try saying an English sentence out loud... then change the accent anywhere in the sentence and tell me if it sounds correct to you?

3 is also wrong. "Want a coffee?" "Could I get you a coffee?" "Would you like something to drink?" "Could I offer you a drink?" are all different levels and cannot all be used in the same situations.

8 uhhh.. so what is the difference between a pizza and a slice of pizza.. think how we count paper and so on. Also a/an and the is really not so forward. Say I have 2 computers in the house. Do you say "I am using a computer." or "I am using the computer."

9 English has nothing to do with "melding" into another kanguage just as Japanese has nothing to do with any word English borrows from it..

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
RumpledForeskin said:
english is a fucking horrible language to be chosen as global.

but why?

I dunno, the only evidence i have to go on is

I live in amsterdam, I'm friends with swedes, turks, africans, english, germans, dutch, somebody from iceland (whatever they're called) Czech, indonesians, indians and chinese.

They all speak english and they all say it's 'not that hard' however my english teacher in my english high school in NZ told me that 'english is the hardest language to learn'

I think english is fucking easy to be honest. I've got nothing to back it up other than we use 'the' rather than 'depends on the sex of the following word' and also you can really fuck up past, present, future AND word order in the same sentance in english and we will still cut you a break. Try that in any other language and see how you go.

laesperanzapaz said:

That's only an advantage if English is your first language.

What's weird to you can be completely normal to another culture.

2 - no gender-related stuff

It makes it easier if you are learning the language. That's about it.

If you've already acquired a language with genders, it is not an issue...

Pointless criticism. Clear lines define formal/informal in the languages you named and if you're moderately familiar with English litterature, you can recognize much of the same in old-fashioned English.

And while it varies from country to country, there is most definitely situations where formal and informal conversation occur and if the language is already tailored in that fashion, it definitely helps you.

4 - it is a physicallly linear, purely left to right language. compare this with [all?] asian languages, for example, where the structure is more in 'blocks' of syllables. This is important in terms of space and legibility. This is highly important to Internet, for example, URLs.

See response to you first point.

5 - English is already truly widespread around the world. Yes, we have British and Americanophile domination to thank for that, but would that really have had happened if English was not a pretty simple and easy language to learn? As a side note regarding the widespread nature: tho Mandarin speakers far outnumber Enlgish speakers, the latter are far more spread apart - and all in the right places, ie. the travelers, politicians, businessmen already are versed into English, while the bulk of Mandarin speakers still live as rural people.

Now see, this is your first real advantage you are spot on about. And the only one, IMHO.

6 - this is a bit subjective, but i think Enlgish is very 'nice-sounding' and 'neutral.' Compare this with CHinese or SPanish, both of which are harsh and sharp. British and Japanese sound 'cultured'' and 'sophisticated,' german sounds 'guttural' while french sounds 'flowing' and 'smooth.' English, tho, is a languagae that few people use with much speed [in contrast, spanish or french], and again this is highly subjective point, but it sounds NEUTRAL.

Yes, subjective.

See response to your first point. Again.

Only marginally.

And shortened, SMS-like lingo exist in most languages.

It might be easy to learn the basics of English, but mastering it is much tougher. Vocabulary is vast, from different, often incompatible sources and the list of colloqualisms is endless.

I'm not sure what you are arguing for here...

English words should be familar to many people who do not speak English?

10 - This one's a bit subjective too but: there is something called a Sapir-Whorf principle, which states that our language is the thing that defines our culture, and defines our perception of the world. As most of the world's culture has historically been family-centered, community-centered, anti-rational, anti-individualism, conservative societies, the Americans have been one of the principle leaders in emphasizing individuality, independence, and rationality [ex: see point 3]. According to the SW principle, you see this in the English language, however miniscule or imperceptible it may seem. And although I have huge problems with American nationalism and general fuckedupness of today's AMerica, it is still far more open-minded and individual-centric than most of teh rest of the world.

I'd post a big rolleyes gif here, but let's refer you to the response to your first point. Again.

11 - only 26 letters, with 5 vowels and 14 consonents, period.

Most European languages share the same feature when it comes to alphabet, whether using the latin or cyrrilic alphabets.

And your statement is misleading too because vowels are not pronounced the same in different English words so the number of vowel sounds in English is much greater than 5.

12 - the word FUCK. I don't know a powerful word more eloquent or beautiful than it. [ex: Shabbat Shalom, motherFUCKERS!!]

huh, see response to your first point again,

and so on. Maybe you can come up with more.

I think the reason to have English as a global language is simply that it is already de facto global language. Aside from that, there's not much reason to argue for it.

oh, and esperanto is not as 'simple' as its proponents make out to be, so that's like a dead language. It's not even mccain vs. huckabbee, it's more like obama vs. clinton.

At least a dead language like Latin has a healthy baggage of classic litterature. Esperanto is a joke in comparison.

batbeg

Blackace said:
1 is plain out wrong. Try saying an English sentence out loud... then change the accent anywhere in the sentence and tell me if it sounds correct to you?

Given what else they said, I think they were referring to written language, and the squiggly accents you have on some letters in other languages.

Oh, how'd I miss this

Imperialism. Pure and simple imperialism is the cause of this. And the legacy of imperialism is doing whatever it takes to maintain English's hegemony. It might not be as oppressive as it was in the past, but look to how any academic field deals with none English/Western published work (oh god anthropology) and you can see this in full effect today.

catfish said:
but why?

I dunno, the only evidence i have to go on is

I live in amsterdam, I'm friends with swedes, turks, africans, english, germans, dutch, somebody from iceland (whatever they're called) Czech, indonesians, indians and chinese.

They all speak english and they all say it's 'not that hard' however my english teacher in my english high school in NZ told me that 'english is the hardest language to learn'

I think english is fucking easy to be honest. I've got nothing to back it up other than we use 'the' rather than 'depends on the sex of the following word' and also you can really fuck up past, present, future AND word order in the same sentance in english and we will still cut you a break. Try that in any other language and see how you go.

Not saying it's hard or anything. It just sucks as a language compared to others.

batbeg said:
Given what else they said, I think they were referring to written language, and the squiggly accents you have on some letters in other languages.

Which is stupid because regional keyboards exist with the extra letters (with accents or not). And if any of those languages would become global, most keyboards would include those extra keys.

To me, that criticism is as silly as Japanese people complaining about the letter c or y because they are not used in romanji, even if using an English keyboard where those keys are included.

It smacks of laziness and being afraid of something a little different. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the OP was created by someone having to learn a second language in school and/or college and looking for an excuse not to. :D

English is a great language. Yet, I wonder how we sound to non-native speakers. It's probably a very intimidating language to hear, Like when I listen to someone speak Finnish. Sounds so complicated. Whether it is or not is up to those who are in the know.

batbeg

Instigator said:
In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the OP was created by someone having to learn a second language in school and/or college and looking for an excuse not to. :D

Doubtful.

Really the title says it all. Although English is not my first language,

skybaby

I'm learning German (3rd language yo!) so it should be the global languague, fuck the OP!
RumpledForeskin said:
If by random you mean based on criteria, then yes, you can go fuck yourself silly.
Foreigner messing up the genders = fun ensued

My first language is French, and I agree with the OP. English is very easy to learn; it really doesn't have that many exceptions, and there's a certain logic to most of them. Hell, in some ways my English is better than my French.

Seth C

Mada Mada Dane said:
I'm not a native-english speaker; however, i think the lang is perfect globally. Seriously, it's so freaking easy to learn ..

I think the real point of this is that while English (including all of its sometimes non-sensical rules) may not be especially easy to learn, because of its lack of reliance on word placement (beyond left to right) or accent, it is easy to understand. By that I mean that even if your grasp of the language is fairly basic, even the most fluent English speaker will still understand what you mean. So long as you know the word you need to tell me something, nothing else is important. You don't have to know the rules, for the most part.

Also, at this point it has already happened. There is no denying it. If you travel to another country and only one other language is displayed on a sign, subway, or building (other than the language native to the country) it will be English.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom