• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have 9 Bitcoins, should I sell?

ITT we learn that lots of people would have bought and kept tulips in 1634.

OP: sell at least half. Bank some before the inevitable happens.

shira

I had a modest amount of bitcoin from selling dota 2 items way before the $1000 range and my wallet would get unverified hits weekly.

The one issue with btc is that if someone has your code you are fucked. There is nothing you can do about it. It's not like Paypal.

I'm not sure how your government considers bitcoin or what the repercussions are but if you have a high amount and convert that into cash later there might be questions raised if it's like $100k USD in the future

If you want something buy it.

True Fire

Don't sell yet. It'll crash again in a month or so, but it'll hit 10 grand at some point in the new year.

10 grand is where things get shaky. Will it hit 25 grand? 100 grand? Does it have the stability for an exponential leap, or will the bubble burst?

Cipherr

Yes, if it does go up anymore it will be marginal IMO.

Sell now while the price is so insanely high.

Said everyone at $100, then $300, then $500 then 1k, then really loudly at $1500, and 2k, and especially 3k, and 4k earlier this year and now its $5349 as I type this.

If you have weak hands, sell enough to cash out 4x your investment, then let the rest sit, or reproportion your Bitcoin into some of the other coins (for those who dont know there's an entire marketplace of hundreds of 'coins' representing hundreds of companies/products like a NYSE trading everyday 24/7. Bitcoin is not the only Crypto the same way Apple isn't the only Stock.) https://coinmarketcap.com/

Cash out your initial investment.

Let the rest ride forever.

That way you will have lost nothing since you're just playing with gains.

Nothing ventured. Nothing gained.

Blam

Don't sell it.

People say invest in something less volitile then Bitcoin. lol everything follows bitcoins.

Wait it'll tank to 4.5K and go right up to 8K. Mark my words either Dec 2017 it'll it 7K or in March 2018 it'll hit 10K.

Don't sell yet. It'll crash again in a month or so, but it'll hit 10 grand at some point in the new year.

10 grand is where things get shaky. Will it hit 25 grand? 100 grand? Does it have the stability for an exponential leap, or will the bubble burst?

What Bubble? The 1st? 2nd? 3rd? It's tanked 3-4 times now the last one being at 3.6K and now it's at 5.3K so please don't make it seem like this is the only bubble.

Remember when people said gold wouldn't hit 1K?

A single bitcoin could be worth $500,000 within 10 years, or it could be worth $0.

The market is so volatile, ultimately whatever you do is a gamble. Personally, I'd sell half and diversify. The current growth is unsustainable, there will be a significant dip at some point in the next 3-6 months, so you can buy back in.

Exactly.

No one has any idea what will happen. If you need the money, sell, if you don't and can lose your profits, don't.

Afrodium

Banned
It's surging now and it seems $10k is the next big milestone people are expecting. I'd hold on until then and then immediately sell as there will likely be a large well-off similar to when it hit $5k. You can then buy again once it's cheaper and ride it until the next milestone or just choose $10k as your time to bail.

What Bubble? The 1st? 2nd? 3rd? It's tanked 3-4 times now the last one being at 3.6K and now it's at 5.3K so please don't make it seem like this is the only bubble.

Remember when people said gold wouldn't hit 1K?

When the bubble actually bursts you'll know. I don't think it's gonna happen in the immediate future though so HODL

Walk into Pawnstars with your bitcoins like
tenor.gif

before you're hacked and lose everything.

Baki

Hi GAF, how's everyone doing today?

I'm sure there are a few cryptocurrency followers here and I was hoping to gauge opinions and get some feedback on if now is a good time to sell my bitcoins?

The price is a staggering £4000 per bticoin, which would mean a significant profit if I were to sell now. I've had them in my Ledger for a while now and today seems a good day to sell, but there's potential for the price to ho higher.

So should I sell now or continue to hold onto them? I know the price is very erratic and could drop £100s of pounds in just a few hours.

I still think we're at the ground level with regards to the value of Bitcoin. That's just my opinion.

CrunchyB

Do you need the cash? Now or in the near future? Do you think bitcoin is a valuable technology or is it just some asset that could make you rich? Some people say a person's worth will be measured in bitcoin in the near future, not in fiat currency which is easily manipulated by corrupt governments, yadda-yadda. It's probably important to at least form an opinion about this stuff.

In any case, Bitcoin is on a rally right now. But it can crash pretty hard without warning, a 20% dip is virtually guaranteed. But the price may rise another 20% before that....

All I know for sure is that nobody can accurately predict the highs and lows. If you're feeling uneasy, I'd suggest selling a few. If the price rises, you may feel some regret, but also some relief that you didn't sell them all. Then decide if you're in for the long haul.

low-G

What's the lowest bit coin sold for?

The creator and his friends gave themselves hundreds of thousands for free.

I’d sell. It’s a worthless asset propelled solely by peoples’ idiocy and fickleness. Idiocy won’t run out, but a butterfly could destroy it overnight.

Bitcoin could very well hit 10,000, but it will hit 0 some day, too.

Cash out your initial investment.

Let the rest ride forever.

That way you will have lost nothing since you're just playing with gains.

Nothing ventured. Nothing gained.
The whole "playing with house money" thing is absolutely a bad way to think about it. You absolutely are losing. It is your money. You can walk away with $45,000 or risk it and lose it all.

Do not sell the Bitcoin unless you really need the money, OP. It will hit $10k.

I’d sell. It’s a worthless asset propelled solely by peoples’ idiocy and fickleness. Idiocy won’t run out, but a butterfly could destroy it overnight.
You have no idea what you are talking about. No such thing happened with the bitcoin creator.

low-G

you have no idea what you are talking about. No such thing happened with the bitcoin creator.

I don’t know what to say, because it’s exactly what happened... those bitcoins aren’t tied to a name directly... Satoshi Nakamoto has over 1 million bitcoins himself (across thousands of wallets). That’s 5% of the entire currency.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Most bitcoins appear to belong to a handful of owners, most of them acquaintances of the creator.

Not talking about individual wallets, individual humans (not organizations). Also ‘free’ as in trivial initial minings.

Divus

I had five Bitcoins on an old hard drive that I used for target practice. Bought them when it was only about a dollar per bitcoin years ago when I thought the idea was cool and wanted to support it. Little did I know that that would be some serious money today.

Now I have a relatively small amount of Bitcoin along with a few others like Etherum, Litecoin, Vertcoin, and ARK.

Personally if I was OP I would wait. 6k will be here really soon and likely won’t drop until after the 26th. Wouldn’t surprise me if it hits 8k before a major dip happens. Then again why would you trust the guy who literally blew away over $25k on financial advise.

I had five Bitcoins on an old hard drive that I used for target practice. Bought them when it was only about a dollar per bitcoin years ago when I thought the idea was cool and wanted to support it. Little did I know that that would be some serious money today.

Now I have a relatively small amount of Bitcoin along with a few others like Etherum, Litecoin, Vertcoin, and ARK.

Personally if I was OP I would wait. 6k will be here really soon and likely won’t drop until after the 26th. Wouldn’t surprise me if it hits 8k before a major dip happens. Then again why would you trust the guy who literally blew away over $25k on financial advise.

What do you guys use to buy/sell these cryptocurrencies?

For example, say you mined these 5 bitcoins years ago with graphics cards, how would you change the 5 bitcoins to cash?

As if you wanted to buy Ethereum today with cash how would you do it?

Curious what you all are using.

Divus

What do you guys use to buy/sell these cryptocurrencies?

For example, say you mined these 5 bitcoins years ago with graphics cards, how would you change the 5 bitcoins to cash?

As if you wanted to buy Ethereum today with cash how would you do it?

Curious what you all are using.

Depends on where you reside but easiest way to buy would probably be Coinbase. It lets you buy BTC, ETH, and LTC with cash (known as FIAT). You have to either give them your banking information like PayPal does or possibly use a debit or credit card to buy. You can also transfer coins to a wallet on Coinbase and then send that money to your bank or a PayPal account I think

If you want other alternate coins (altcoin) you have to transfer one of those to a exchange like Bittrex were you can trade BTC for others.

Oh and seriously don’t take what I said about the price and think that’s absolutely going to happen. If I knew the future I’d be rich. So never spend what you can’t afford to possibly lose.

I don’t know what to say, because it’s exactly what happened... those bitcoins aren’t tied to a name directly... Satoshi Nakamoto has over 1 million bitcoins himself (across thousands of wallets). That’s 5% of the entire currency.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Most bitcoins appear to belong to a handful of owners, most of them acquaintances of the creator.

Not talking about individual wallets, individual humans (not organizations). Also ‘free’ as in trivial initial minings.
Being an early adopter and mining is different than pre-mining before public release and hoarding coins before the public has a go at it. Pre-mining never happened with bitcoin and yes it happens with a lot of scam coins nowadays.

Yes, there are untouched wallets with a million coins that are believed to be Satoshi's but he mined them when only a handful of people were paying Bitcoin any attention in the early days.

I know we can never be sure but safe to say by now those coins are lost. The guy is dead, passwords lost, or he has the biggest balls in history not to have touched the coins since their creation. I am going with he is most likely dead.

I know there are whales who own a ton of Bitcoin and control the market. But them being friends of the creator is a new one to me. I don't know where you got that from.

Cipherr

How do you even sell them? Is there a company somewhere that would hand you 45k in raw cash?

Several. In all forms of currency. USD, Yen, Pound, whatever you want. ACH or SEPA (or whatever your national equivalent) right to your bank account. Or Wire transfer if you wanted the money immediately.

That was one of the misconceptions that kept me out of Crypto for so long. I thought it was difficult to "Cash out" your profits. I had no idea it was as easy as buying shit on Amazon or something. Click click click, account credited in USD.

Wish I had known sooner.

I'd sell. It's a worthless asset propelled solely by peoples' idiocy and fickleness. Idiocy won't run out, but a butterfly could destroy it overnight.

What the hell.... so this is why the barrier of entry into Crypto is so low that you can make these crazy gains as a layman (like myself). If this (all false btw) is what the average person thinks of crypto in general, it explains why getting in and getting profit is so easy at this point. None of the people likely smart and capable enough to go vacuuming up all the low hanging fruit pay it any mind because they believe a bunch of boogeyman wives tale bullshit they heard somewhere on the internet,

damn.

Top Bottom