• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

SiRatul

So much for that one thread about X1 having more effects at 720p. Let's see how this will look with AO and whether there will be any preformance hits to the framerate of the X1.

Here is what we *know*.

Knack and Killzone Shadow Fall are both native 1080p with triple buffered framerates that average above 30 fps.
Assassin's Creed 4 on PS4 is reportedly 1080p and looks to be in PS4 video footage so far shown.
NBA 2K14 is confirmed Native 1080p 60 fps.
The PSN and Indie titles are all almost certainly 1080p, but the ones that have definitely been confirmed as such that I am aware of are Flow, Flower, Sound Shapes, The Pinball Arcade, and Resogun. Others may have been confirmed 1080p. I would be shocked if any aren't.
IGN have reported that COD: Ghosts is 1080p on PS4. This may have been confirmed by other sources, but I am not 100%.
FIFA has been confirmed 1080p on both Xbox One and PS4.

Of the games with unconfirmed resolutions, the most likely to not hit 1080p IMHO is Need For Speed Rivals, which is using the same engine as BF4 here, although only pushing 30 fps, so it could easily go either way on PS4.

So yes, the majority of titles on PS4 at launch we have confirmed resolutions for are 1080p, with a grand total of 1 that isn't.

I'd be shocked if Injustice, Madden, Skylanders and Lego Marvel Super Heroes,etc, fail to hit 1080p on either system, as I doubt any of them are attempting to push the new consoles, or using the kind of advanced rendering techniques that seem to give the Xbox One issues at high resolutions.

Gold_Loot

One thing I like about the PS4 version is how far into the corner the UI is.

Seems that Xbone keeps the requirements of keeping UI elements more centered.

This is not even counting that the higher PS4 resolution makes the UI smaller.
This may be due to the higher resolution on ps4. I remember Crysis2 having the same problem on ps3.

Radec

XB1 version looks way better.

2bksfilhi6q.jpg

#dead

Raist

Banned
AO simply didnt make it into the review build....

https://twitter.com/repi/status/395138203075633152

There have been changes to the final build not apparent in the XO version which means it'll look better at launch. Straight from Johan Andersson

And why do you think it didn't make it? They just found out about it and didn't have time to implement in on XB1 but could on PS4 and PC? They'll have to tweak stuff if they indeed put it back it, because that shit is expensive (it's even mentioned in the DF article).

Still, as it stands, that's overall a huge difference. Anyone checked on Penello?

PhatSaqs

Banned
I'm genuinely finding it hard to see a great deal of difference between the two.
Seriously this. I understand that the PS4 IS pushing a higher resolution at a seemingly smoother rate so it's obvious that it's doing more, but in motion and in stills it's not that big of a deal IMO. Especially considering DICE is on record as saying the X1 review version isnt the final version.

Chumpion

One thing I like about the PS4 version is how far into the corner the UI is.

But they are in exactly the same place in the Jack comparison vid. Did DF crop the PS4 images to make them appear to have fewer pixels and then scaled them up? That would be beyond shady.

Sulik2

Considering the amount of concern over how well the footage was captured (contrast and gamma levels) I will hold off my concern that scaling is going to be an issue with PS4 (like PS3)...

Is the software-based scaller a system developed by Sony or provided at the OS level or is it DICE's own software?

Not sure, but they specifically mentioned a software scaler in the article. To fix every major issue in the PS3, but not the scaling issue would be a huge mistake on Sony's part. Hope its just a lack of info at this point.

Z3M0G

Remember

ResistanceFallOfMan01.jpg

That's how the PS3 launch title Resistance: Fall of Man looked like. Things will only get better from here, for both PS4 and XBO.

It's a damn shame this game gets shit on so much... it did some amazing things. Bodies that didn't disappear, but rather piled on top of each other realistically... the most realistic (to this day) breaking glass ever seen in a game...

Perkel

Banned
So much for that one thread about X1 having more effects at 720p. Let's see how this will look with AO and whether there will be any preformance hits to the framerate of the X1.

Also considering AO is heavy on hardware we should re review framerate performance when AO will make into Xbone version. IF now PS4 easily has better framerate then with AO on it will be even higher difference

The story here should not be which visuals look better. The story should be one console had to do a lower resolution in order to even make the visual comparisons nearly identical. Anyone who does not recognize this fact is in some sort of strange denial.

Wait what....if resolution doesn't make visuals look better than I just...I don't know what we're talking about here.

Kinyou

You are deluding yourself if you think the X1 version will be on par with the PS4 version at retail... We don't even know what AO implementation they'll have on the X1, could be SSAO for all we know.
Never said that. But the gap might become smaller.

And he says right there in the tweet, same AO as in PC/PS4

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
We don't know AO will hurt performance, it depends if they've made strides in optimization.

True but then again, PS4 will be better optimized as well by then. Since both versions get more optimization and X1 gets added another effect on top, it wouldnt seem unlikely for the FPS gap to widen a bit more.

Never said that. But the gap might become smaller.

And he says right there in the tweet, same AO as in PC/PS4

Its more likely to become bigger in my opinion.

With people going back and forth between crushed blacks and color saturation the point is being missed that the PS4 version is outputting nearly twice the pixels, with AA, at a more stable frame rate.

There it is -- after months of speculation from GAF and denial/balance talk from Albert and Nelson the theme for this generation has been established. The Xbone versions of titles are always going to be behind in performance and visual fidelity. This is a much wider gap than initial 360 vs PS3 comparisons. Never was there a title at PS3 launch where the 360 was outputting double the pixels with higher fidelity. It's insane how anemic the Xbox One is in comparison to the PS4.
I concur, hesitantly. I'm not sure if they are 'always going to be behind in performance and visual fidelity' but I do think superior Playstation 4 versions (marginally or otherwise) will be a 'theme for this generation'.

The pictures and videos themselves may present themselves, initially, as a more interesting comparison since, ultimately, that's what you'll see but as you've pointed out, the numbers present a much more interesting, and somewhat worrying, picture (also considering that the pictures/videos can be flawed, as we see here with the Digital Foundry comparison). Just at a technical level, the difference is stark and as far as I can remember, unparalleled this generation. The gap is quite considerable. If the Playstation 4 had a better resolution, but a much more unstable framerate, I would be pretty hesitant to call it a gulf; but the current situation (which you've already summarised) is pretty poor.

As has been pointed out already, when Ambient Occlusion is added, that may alsol bring with it some hit on the framerate, and precisely how much it will impact it is something I'm very curious about. I don't have plans to buy either next generation console currently but it will be very interesting to see if this level of disparity will continue in the coming weeks.

Occasionally someone gets a jacket made out of salami and sometimes people fire guns named out of jackets. It's have a fun! Enjoy! Did you have a pleasure!

After this, I for one will be greatly disappointed when I don't see salami jackets and cotton guns in Battlefield 4.

Skeff

Also considering AO is heavy on hardware we should re review framerate performance when AO will make into Xbone version. IF now PS4 easily has better framerate then with AO on it will be even higher difference

With AO I would not be surprised to see 30fps at times on XB1, It's already dipping to mid 30's.

genjiZERO

The sci-fi lighting and lack of AA on XBONE are noticeable. I think the moral of this story is that multi-plats will look slightly better on PS4, but 1st party PS4 games will really shine.

TheZink

Just watched the IGN video too:
http://ca.ign.com/videos/2013/10/28/battlefield-4-xbox-oneps4-graphics-comparison

The XBONE version has a crisper image, again. PS4 has a blur filter going on.
I don't know if it's FXAA or the upscaler.

PS4 fan here, and but XBOne has a much nicer image. It's just cleaner. Less muddy/blurry. In every video I've watched, multiple sources.
Yeah. Im still torn a little. Ive got both systems ordered and want to cancel one and pick up the other later on. I really love the One TV stuff even though a lot dont. I really cant tell too much of a difference except the One looks a little clearer with more jagged edges. I really dont know what to do. Most of my friends are going One but I dont want to make a bad choice. Son of Mother! This is the only game I really wanted to pick up at launch.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Oh crap lol thats huge
And the higher framerate is on the system with a higher resolution and AA

I know it looks like that but if you take a very close look at the graphs below the image you'll notice that... Fuck it.

PS4 definitely wins on this one.

tkalamba

True but then again, PS4 will be better optimized as well by then. Since both versions get more optimization and X1 gets added another effect on top, it wouldnt seem unlikely for the FPS gap to widen a bit more.

Its more likely to become bigger in my opinion.

Or the FPS gap could shrink. At this point we don't know what changes DICE has to implement.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Overall I like the PS4 shots slightly better but seriously tell me the PS4 has a quality hardware up scaler equivalent to the 360?

Upscalign on the PS3 was dreadful in comparison

KKRT00

Thats so misleading.

---

And why are people saying that Xbone version does not have AA? It has AA, same FXAA filter as Xbox 360, PC and PS4.
You all just finally realized how awful 720p is even with decent postAA when upscaled to 1080p. Something PC gamers were saying for years.

THEaaron

Wait, so my PC games which are a lot sharper than console games are just filled with noise? Damn this whole time.

The PS4 version looks like it's running high Post Process AA which makes it blurry. So basically if the PS4 version looks inferior in anyway it because the Xbox version looks worse and our perception is just fucked up?

There is a difference between high resolution textures and noised textures.

StuBurns

Banned
We really can't assume anything in that regard.

If they're happy with the PS4 version, but no the XBO version, it's possible that it's all hands on deck with XBO. Not to say that will be the case at all. Just that who really knows.

Top Bottom