• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starhawk |OT| Not Quite Warhawk, Yet Not Quite Like Anything Else

DarkAkatosh

Neo Member
Couldn't stand the beta myself. Playing with random people was an absolute nightmare for me, plus it felt exactly like Warhawk with the B&B gimmick.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Great OT! I don't have a PS3, but this game looks pretty rad. :-D

Angry Fork

I really don't like the art style, the colors don't mix right for me. There's too much brown and it doesn't mesh well with the turquoise. And there's some yellow/green put in certain areas as well. When looking at videos of it it just all looks messy and makes it harder to distinguish certain characters/objects from the environment. This was a problem for me in MAG and Socom 4 as well. I wish I could explain it better maybe it's just me.

Warhawk was so good though this looks great too and a worthy sequel, but I don't plan on getting it mainly because TF2 on PC is my main multiplayer game now and I don't really play much else multiplayer-wise. It's tough to go back to console multiplayer with the 15$ DLC and shitty communities after experiencing TF2. I hope it doesn't bomb though I really love Sony for putting a lot of time/money into these kinds of exclusives for fans.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Yeah, this game isn't meshing with me either. If you asked me what were the top three best experiences of this gen, playing Warhawk would definitely be in there. It was such an incredible experience...man, what an amazing, excellent game that was. The best online game this gen had to offer, period.

Starhawk didn't grab me in the beta. It seemed way too complex for it's own good. I tried playing it by ignoring the building aspect but it just wasn't clicking for me. I can't even really explain why. I felt the same way with some of the sequels to my favorite games like Infamous 2 and Dead Rising 2. Maybe it was that once-in-a-gen spark that inhibited my feelings towards the originals.

I just don't know. I feel like buying it just to support Lightbox, but man, seeing as this is the sequel to friggin' WARHAWK I feel like I should be way more pumped.

rCIZZLE

I'm actually pretty excited for this. Sucks I'll be gone most of the week it's released and D3 drops the following week. I should be able to get a bunch of games in during the weekend between and when my group isn't on for D3.

Unless it's changed from the beta: There's a 32 item build limit. FOR ALL PLAYERS ON THE TEAM. This means, you're working AGAINST stupid teammates to expand bases with a spawn area outside the initial area and building walls and defenses between both bases. CTF gameplay was AWFUL because of this because no matter how much I tried to expand and hold an area for my team to move through, I couldn't do that.

The concept is neat, but the beta just showed in practice it isn't good. Unless they've tweaked it a ton from beta to now, it's safely skippable. And no, the singleplayer doesn't make it worth $60, I'm sorry.

Sounds like my concerns as well

I REALLY wanted to get into the beta but it just felt so ...aimless

Thrakier

Beta felt so sluggish, way worse than what I was used to from Warhawk. Never looked back. And Warhawk was my most played online game by far.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Beta felt so sluggish, way worse than what I was used to from Warhawk. Never looked back. And Warhawk was my most played online game by far.
this was my impression too.
they took too long and lost the magic, its a shame.

the art direction is kind of offputting too. like someone spent too much time with quake wars.

Yeah, this game isn't meshing with me either. If you asked me what were the top three best experiences of this gen, playing Warhawk would definitely be in there. It was such an incredible experience...man, what an amazing, excellent game that was. The best online game this gen had to offer, period.

Starhawk didn't grab me in the beta. It seemed way too complex for it's own good. I tried playing it by ignoring the building aspect but it just wasn't clicking for me. I can't even really explain why. I felt the same way with some of the sequels to my favorite games like Infamous 2 and Dead Rising 2. Maybe it was that once-in-a-gen spark that inhibited my feelings towards the originals.

I just don't know. I feel like buying it just to support Lightbox, but man, seeing as this is the sequel to friggin' WARHAWK I feel like I should be way more pumped.

Iknowthatfeelbro.gif

I really hope Lightbox releases day 1 patch notes or online modes info before release with either including a BnB-less mode.

I get the concerns from the beta. I'm with you guys. But if you ever had an inkling to play something other than what has become the norm in the industry as far as single player campaigns are concerned, you owe it to yourself to check this game out. And if a SP game with a broken MP isn't worth $60 to you, fair enough. Just keep in mind that it has a 2-player splitscreen/4-player online co-op mode which would surely make up for the loss of MP if you disliked playing with the public (assuming you have friends to play co-op with).

There are single player impressions in the OP. Read them.

I really hope Lightbox releases day 1 patch notes or online modes info before release with either including a BnB-less mode.
They promised us they give us a video detailing all the changes they were making after the latest version of the beta and never followed through on it. As far as modes go, it will only be DM, TDM, CTF, and Zones. And a B&B-less mode is never going to happen, defeats the whole purpose of the game in Lightbox's opinion.

They promised us they give us a video detailing all the changes they were making after the latest version of the beta and never followed through on it. As far as modes go, it will only be DM, TDM, CTF, and Zones. And a B&B-less mode is never going to happen, defeats the whole purpose of the game in Lightbox's opinion.

I think if players were given the option, easing into BnB mode would be far less of an issue. Keep bnb-less to unranked games. I don't see the harm in that.

The beta left me disappointed. I was expecting a lot more out of this game and that doesn't mean I was just expecting Warhawk 2. However, the Build and Battle got in the way of the game more than it contributed, I found ground battle and shooting wasn't good and it was boring, and I couldn't believe they allowed auto turrets in the game (and that people supported it). Also I think Lightbox is headed for a massive flop with this game. There is next to no buzz for this game, and has a lot of negative word of mouth. Just look at this thread.

I wish them the best, and who knows their day one patch could resolve a lot of issues. However, their beta was playable for nearly 4 months so if they didn't make those changes then I am not too confident they will in the month they had before release.

I get the concerns from the beta. I'm with you guys. But if you ever had an inkling to play something other than what has become the norm in the industry as far as single player campaigns are concerned, you owe it to yourself to check this game out. And if a SP game with a broken MP isn't worth $60 to you, fair enough. Just keep in mind that it has a 2-player splitscreen/4-player online co-op mode which would surely make up for the loss of MP if you disliked playing with the public (assuming you have friends to play co-op with).

There are single player impressions in the OP. Read them.

I feel you on this one. If anything, the campaign is sending me vibes from one of my favorite titles in the early Gen, The Outfit.

I know most dismissed it, but I LOVED it.

We have an idea on how the SP campaign is?
Also, is this Teen? I'd like to be able to play this in front of my 8 year old.

You and me both but I can guarantee you Lightbox would never add that option.

It would become the most played option and would prove they're implementation of build and battle was heavy handed and poorly executed. For that reason they probably won't create unranked rooms with an entire map built with capturable bases to respawn at. To tell ya the truth that may not be so easy to execute for them with how the game is laid out.

Kaizer

Banned
I think I'll just stick with playing Warhawk, thank god the MP community is still very active. Warhawk was my first online gaming experience and also still my most loved. I've logged hundreds of hour into it and made most of my PSN friend list from playing that game.

Like others have said, Starhawk really didn't grab me in the beta. I give Dylan Jobe & Lightbox Interactive for trying something new than the standard norm, but man I REALLY just wanted Warhawk (PS3) copied & pasted with new maps and weapons into outer space. I'll give it a rent, but worth $60? Sorry.

I think I'll just stick with playing Warhawk, thank god the MP community is still very active. Warhawk was my first online gaming experience and also still my most loved. I've logged hundreds of hour into it and made most of my PSN friend list from playing that game.
Unfortunately all you can get into now is CTF servers. Though there are some rather large clans that run servers (like WYLD_FUN) and they take requests, but when those servers aren't running there's not many options.

I wish all the people planning on buying Starhawk would just get Warhawk instead (or instead give Warhawk PS3 away as a pre-order bonus), but many gamers won't even give a game more than a few months old a chance.

Campers were never a problem in Warhawk because the way the mechanics worked, but now with regenerating health and manual aiming and all these other mainstream additions it became a potential problem like every other game and they needed to add a mechanic like this to fix it, and what they came up with to solve that is great! Unfortunately the camper has been replaced by the auto-turret horder.

Oppo

I am surprised at how many are scowling at this game.

I am so friggin excited to play the final version. Warhawk was one of the only multiplayer games to really grab me this gen. I guess I agree with Dylan Jobe's sensibilities or something.

As for the 32-item limit on build items – I believe this is to encourage teamwork. If your team sucks, as with any MP game, it will suffer.

Anyways I cannot wait, I think the whole FPS/RTS concept is amazing.

edit - that Pod Kill trailer is pretty funny

Loudninja

I am so friggin excited to play the final version. Warhawk was one of the only multiplayer games to really grab me this gen. I guess I agree with Dylan Jobe's sensibilities or something.

As for the 32-item limit on build items – I believe this is to encourage teamwork. If your team sucks, as with any MP game, it will suffer.

I am very excited to.

Everything sounds awesome.

The problem is you can have 4 bad eggs on a team that spam walls and turrets in the base, and it doesn't matter how good the other 12 are. Plus I played enough games to know that good teams will just base rape the other team into oblivion and put spawn beacons right outside of the enemies base and crush them like that pod trailer shows in their spawn. Yea good luck building a community with that gameplay. The rage quit stories in this game will be legendary.

Shiloa

Never really played Warhawk but I found the beta for this to be incredibly disappointing. I was really liking the idea of BnB, but the execution was really bad. I don't think I've ever come played a game with as many final scores set at 0-0 in CTF. People just didn't attack enough, and if they did, it would just be too difficult to win.

It's all very well to say it's a team game, but sadly reality is different and people aren't always going to work together. At least with other games you can still have fun on your own, but this just didn't work for me.

The circle-jerk around Dylan Jobe and Warhawk is probably the biggest turn-off for me personally.
My representation of him in the OP was meant to be comical.

It was also my subtle way of showing the man behind the change that every developer says needs to happen in this industry. When everyone bows to Cliffy B., Kojima, or whoever for making these bold statements, Jobe and co. made those changes with little fanfare.

I played Warhawk for more than 300h, but I feel absolutely nothing for this game :(

That's just me though, I don't want to bring anyone down here.

Hf fellow, uh...Hawkers :)

Loudninja

The problem is you can have 4 bad eggs on a team that spam walls and turrets in the base, and it doesn't matter how good the other 12 are. Plus I played enough games to know that good teams will just base rape the other team into oblivion and put spawn beacons right outside of the enemies base and crush them like that pod trailer shows in their spawn. Yea good looking building a community with that gameplay. The rage quit stories in this game will be legendary.
What you describe is basically every mutiplayer game there is no difference at all.

Randoms will always suck for multiplayer games so play on a gaf team than, or make your own clan.

What you describe is basically very mutiplayer game no difference ta all.

Randoms will always suck for multiplayer games so n play on a gaf team than, or make your on clan.

I played many games with randoms and still had a blast. Sure they were more fun with people I knew, but a game needs to be fun and engaging in a random public room as well. All I am saying is that for me this game fails at that.

What you describe is basically very mutiplayer game no difference at all.

Randoms will always suck for multiplayer games so play on a gaf team than, or make your own clan.
But randoms in Starhawk can ruin the game for everyone else to a much larger degree than in other games. There is no difference in the action but a massive difference in the scale.

I played Warhawk for more than 300h, but I feel absolutely nothing for this game :(

That's just me though, I don't want to bring anyone down here.

Hf fellow, uh...Hawkers :)

I'm kind of the same. Warhawk was incredible value for $40, probably my most played game this generation. The change in theme and the building stuff kind of turns me off. Hope they have a MP trial because what I've seen so far just isn't doing it for me.

jett

D-Member
Those soured from the beta should keep an eye and ear out. The game offers a single player experience that can give you the gameplay you want without the BS you've encountered from the public. Even better is a 2-player splitscreen or 4-player online Co-Op experience that will likely offer the most entertaining battles against waves of randomized enemy encounters. Each wave will have you and your team on your toes as you figure out how best to defend or attack the invading enemies.

The SP seems to be a sorts of introduction for multiplayer, they haven't really shown anything that suggest a truly fleshed out campaign.

I wish the beta had been better, I had severe issues with the basic game mechanics. Movement and shooting just felt weird.

Loudninja

The SP seems to be a sorts of introduction for multiplayer, they haven't really shown anything that suggest a truly fleshed out campaign.

I wish the beta had been better, I had severe issues with the basic game mechanics. Movement and shooting just felt weird.
Did you read the previews sounds really good to me.

They are releasing a day one patch, its a to-do list of what people requested and what they could not add in the beta at the time.

I'm a big fan of the original WarHawk, but StarHawk still hasn't convinced me 100%.
In the beta, framereate was smooth without anyone in the map, but dropped significantly with other players; how will it be now?

jett

D-Member
Did you read the previews sounds really good to me.

They are releasing a day one patch, its a to-do list of what people requested and what they could not add in the beta at the time.

Okay I read one of the previews, seems there's a bit more driving around than I thought. The problem I have is that the SP footage shown makes it seem like it's made out of modified multiplayer maps or something like that. Maybe I'm completely off the mark but then that's not my fault that they failed at marketing this game.

Oppo

Maybe you guys want to give the non-beta a spin before you judge it... seeing as it was unfinished, and receiving feedback from players.

Top Bottom