• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu Thread: Emulating Wii U Games

A very nice technical achievement getting WiiU emulation up and running but having tried it out myself, the stuttering issues makes this as unplayable for me as the official Dolphin build.

..unless/until that is solved without repeated play through's to generate shaders, I won't be investing too much time on it.

jediyoshi

..unless/until that is solved without repeated play through's to generate shaders, I won't be investing too much time on it.

The upcoming release (today for donators/next week for public) fixes this. Shader caches will become forward compatible so either you only need to generate them once more, or you can now download other people's 'premade' caches to stop stutter.

tensuke

More hi-res screenshots from jediyoshi:
VR6IfhH.jpg

Incredible, can't believe we're already increasing the resolution of Wii U games, let alone playing them. XCX looks great. I can't imagine the power needed to play it at 4K though :x

Peterthumpa

Incredible, can't believe we're already increasing the resolution of Wii U games, let alone playing them. XCX looks great. I can't imagine the power needed to play it at 4K though :x
Apparently the same power as it requires today. Cemu and emulators in general are way more CPU than GPU bound.

Teletraan1

Banned
I just got into this last night. Ripped a few games and they all seem to perform well on my meager system. (i5 3570k and a 670) I don't have the new build that allows for resolution switching but I was holding a decent framerate once I built the shader cache a bit. If the reports that you can bump up the resolution without much of a performance hit are true this is a pretty playable emulator atm outside of the shader cache issue which from all accounts might be mitigated with future releases. I was also amazed at how easy it was to get my digital games from my Wii U playable on my PC. All that blustering about all digital futures being some dystopian nightmare for emulation and game backups was for nothing. This was one of the least painful processes in terms of setup I have ever experienced. It only took a long time but the process to do it was painless.

Use it on my rig and it'll work fine at first. Iffy, but playable for 3 player mario kart though. Will try it later and the damn thing will barely run MARIO kart at 20fps for single-player. If I delete and unpack it again, it'll work normally for a bit until it eventually messes up again. No idea what's going on.

Seik

Banned
I can't wait for the next version to come out today!

Hopefully my 2500K @ 4.5Ghz with my GTX 1060 will chug 4K just fine. *Crossing fingers*.

Vlaphor

Quick question. I've never used Cemu and I'm curious as to how it uses the second screen? Bayonetta in 4K is what you making me want to take the plunge.

Seik

Banned
Quick question. I've never used Cemu and I'm curious as to how it uses the second screen? Bayonetta in 4K is what you making me want to take the plunge.

There's no Gamepad support yet as far as I know, anybody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

So far I only mostly played Pro-Controller compatible games.

Tried Star Fox but never managed to have the Gamepad showing anywhere so...I guess it's not on the table yet.

jediyoshi

You have been able to switch between Gamepad view and normal view since 1.5.5. or so

To expand on this, it's the tab key to view the gamepad, ctrl+tab to toggle it on, and mouse click to touch. You're always able to touch the screen, so for games like Mario Maker you can just click as you see it since they mirror both displays.

Dereck

I'm using a GTX 1070 with a Intel Core i7-6800K processor.

3D World runs at 60FPS for like 10-15 seconds, dips to 45 for 2 seconds then goes back to 55FPS.

It's definitely playable but it's not running at a stable framerate. Runs about as well as I thought it would.

oxidax

is there no way to play Xenoblade without the gamepad? I recently sold my Wii U but I still have the disc around. Would love to play it again at a higher res.

Crazy to think we'll be able to emulate the Wii U version of BotW with significantly better visuals than the Switch will offer so soon.

Was Dolphin emulating Skyward Sword in a decent state around the time it released?

KHlover

Banned
Crazy to think we'll be able to emulate the Wii U version of BotW with significantly better visuals than the Switch will offer so soon.

Was Dolphin emulating Skyward Sword in a decent state around the time it released?

IIRC at release the paint shader for the background wasn't correctly emulated, but besides that it looked really nice.

http://gameranx.com/updates/id/3701/article/skyward-sword-pc-screenshots-surface/

http://kotaku.com/5860550/skyward-sword-running-on-pc-looks-gorgeous

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=395121&page=103

There were glorious 1080p screens being released from the leaked store demo a month before the games release.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Holy hell, this emulator is impressive. I've just witnessed Super Mario 3D World running at nearly perfect framerate on a new MacBook Pro with 460 GPU (a PS4-level spec GPU). Some odd hickups here and there when you collect bigger objects and stuff like that, but the game is perfectly playable (in 720p at least, no idea what it would be like with 1080p render mode).

And yeah, as someone mentioned above, the hickups even seem to disappear when you play through the same section again. Everything about this reeks of cleverness.

Okay every video i find of this has audio disabled because of performance issues, is that something that is still a thing in the latest builds or am i just running across old build videos?

IIRC at release the paint shader for the background wasn't correctly emulated, but besides that it looked really nice.

There were glorious 1080p screens being released from the leaked store demo a month before the games release.

Both of these posts are correct. At the time, it was possible to emulate Skyward Sword and have it look 100% correct—but to do so, you had to enable settings that made the game extremely slow even on the fastest PC's.

Alternately, you could use different settings to run the game at full speed (on a fast system), but it looked wrong.

Worth remembering that the Wii was basically just an overclocked Gamecube (hence how Dolphin supports both systems), and the Gamecube had already been out for 11 years by the time Skyward Sword was released.

jediyoshi

Cemu 1.7.0 released for Patreon supporters

# Cemu detailed changelog for 1.7.0
# Patreon release date: 2017-01-09

GX2: Added support for customizable graphics via 'Graphic packs' (alias graphic modding support built into the emulator)
GX2: Overhauled shader cache. Shader cache files can now be transferred between different PCs and remain compatible across future Cemu versions.
GX2: Fixed a bug where alpha-test related registers where incorrectly handled for shaders read from the shader cache

Mario Kart 8
Super Mario 3D World
New Super Mario Bros U
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Bayonetta 2

Seik

Banned
Cemu 1.7.0 released for Patreon supporters

# Cemu detailed changelog for 1.7.0
# Patreon release date: 2017-01-09

GX2: Added support for customizable graphics via 'Graphic packs' (alias graphic modding support built into the emulator)
GX2: Overhauled shader cache. Shader cache files can now be transferred between different PCs and remain compatible across future Cemu versions.
GX2: Fixed a bug where alpha-test related registers where incorrectly handled for shaders read from the shader cache

Mario Kart 8
Super Mario 3D World
New Super Mario Bros U
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Bayonetta 2

Right on time! :D

Gonna have fun tonight!

PGamer

fucking juniors
The OP has been updated for the Cemu 1.7.0 release. There is now a screenshot gallery to showcase the graphics enhancement functionality.

Okay I may be missing something super-obvious here but I just used WUDumper for the first time instead of Titledumper and how do I get the key for the game to paste into keys.txt? o.o WUDumper dumped a game.key but when I open this file with Notepad it seems encrypted.

coughlanio

There's no Gamepad support yet as far as I know, anybody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

So far I only mostly played Pro-Controller compatible games.

Tried Star Fox but never managed to have the Gamepad showing anywhere so...I guess it's not on the table yet.

You press tab to show the second screen.

This just makes me excited by the fact that we will at least get to play some of these games at 1080p on Switch. 720 was just not cutting it and these 4k shots are beautiful. Hoping XCX gets ported to Switch.

nkarafo

Is there any technical info about this? Like, what's changed and it's now possible after so long. Could this also be used on other emulators that suffer from shader stutters like Dolphin and Demul?

robotrock

Banned
This just makes me excited by the fact that we will at least get to play some of these games at 1080p on Switch. 720 was just not cutting it and these 4k shots are beautiful. Hoping XCX gets ported to Switch.

Laura Kate Dale of LPVG seemed to think so...probably happening then?

dsk1210

1.7.0 won't boot for me, just end up with the circular mouse arrow and nothing happens.

Weird, the others work fine. Probably Windows 10 insider screwing me over again.

jediyoshi

I fixed the missing map for the SM3DW 4k graphic pack, here's how the packed in one looks
z5yKQST.png

Put in graphicPacks\SuperMario3DWorld_2160p\rules.txt
Code:
[Definition]
titleIds = 0005000010145d00,0005000010145c00,0005000010106100
name = "Super Mario 3D World - 2160p (4K)"

[TextureRedefine]
width = 1280
height = 720
formatsExcluded = 0x34,0x35 # exclude map
overwriteWidth = 3840
overwriteHeight = 2160

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't know if this is known already, but activating the DLC/missions (if you bought it already) in Pikmin 3 seems to work by copying the content of a folder named Vol\AOCxxxxxx to Vol\Content\AOC\.

Tried 1.6.4 version yesterday. Though it looked amazing I noticed some severe slowdowns (going from 30 or 60 fps to 5 fps), specially in Yoshi's WoollyWorld and Xenoblade Chornicles X. Do I have to configure anything in special to make it run smoother?

nkarafo

I don't know if this is known already, but activating the DLC/missions (if you bought it already) in Pikmin 3 seems to work by copying the content of a folder named Vol\AOCxxxxxx to Vol\Content\AOC\.
Is this possible for Mario Kart DLCs too?

Tried 1.6.4 version yesterday. Though it looked amazing I noticed some severe slowdowns (going from 30 or 60 fps to 5 fps), specially in Yoshi's WoollyWorld and Xenoblade Chornicles X. Do I have to configure anything in special to make it run smoother?
Sounds like shader cache stutters. Nothing you can do for now.

Reminder, forcing texture filtering through drivers works

Q9vm0MO.jpg
Does antialiasing through drivers work? FXAA maybe?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Is this possible for Mario Kart DLCs too?

Unfortunately it doesn't seem possible.

Edit: from what I read what can be done is just to replace some normal courses with DLC course by renaming the files and copying them over the old ones.

Top Bottom