• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man arrested over attempt to kill BVB pro soccer players to crash team's stock price

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

Earlier this month, three bombs detonated near the team bus of Borussia Dortmund (BVB), a German pro soccer team in the Bundesliga, injuring one of their players -- Marc Batra -- seriously. Even though police found three letters near the site of the explosions in which the Islamic State allegedly claimed responsibility, doubts about their authenticity quickly arose for a number of reasons.

Today, police arrested a 28-year old man in Tübingen.

Sergej W was arrested by special operation officers on his way to work at 6am on Friday. On the day of the attack, 11 April, he had bought a put option on Borussia Dortmund's shares, giving him the right to sell the shares for a specified price at a predetermined date.

Had the explosives killed a member of the team and the club's share price dropped, the value of his put option - an option to sell assets at an agreed price on or before a particular date - would have increased significantly.

According to German media reports, Sergej W bought 15,000 put warrants for €78,000 (£65,300) and could have gained up to €3.9m as a result of a large drop in Dortmund's shares.
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-arrested-as-police-allege-share-dealing-plot

Atenhaus

uY8WJIp.png

HMMMMMM....

Wonder why it's all crickets over there right now...

Violet_0

Banned
one of the letters had islamist content with a rather suspiciously detailed list of demands which is not common at all, one of them was extremist right-wing and third one extremist left-wing

holy shit at this new development

Rather than ties to international terrorism, greed is thought to have played a role in the attack. The suspect allegedly bought options to short sell 15,000 shares of Borussia Dortmund stock for 78,000 euros ($83,600), according to "Bild." He would have profited from the transaction if the price for shares of the team fell.

That's crazy as hell and unprecedented in German criminal history (according to SPON)

Apparently he specifically requested a hotel room looking at the street on which the BVB bus would leave the hotel.

Did he really think no one would remember that little detail when a freaking bomb explodes on that spot?

Oh and he bought the stock options using the hotel's IP adress

For a wannabe criminal mastermind all that's pretty stupid

But I guess we'll be seeing more of this now, assholes trying to capizalize on the public's fear of terrorism

Derwind

It's extremely sad knowing how many people really wanted the case to be linked to evil brown people.

When it turns out to be something that doesn't fit that narrative everyone disappears.

Donos

Going to be interesting how he got the explosives. Somewhere they said these where fron the German army. Guy is 28...probably was enlisted and got it there or over connections there.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The disgusting part of this is that he tried to use the current migrant crisis to mask his bombing, and had he not been found out it would've just thrown fuel on the fire.

Vuze

Don't give German media ideas lol. We don't want to go back to blaming video games for crimes now that the focus is on anime after the cold blooded stabbings of that weirdo who bragged on 4chan.

Truly disgusting act indeed. And he accepted killing multiple people and ruining their families lives for a few thousand bucks? Dude must've been pretty damn desperate.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Well, that's quite the twist! Would love to see a dramatization/documentary of the investigation.

It's extremely sad knowing how many people really wanted the case to be linked to evil brown people.

When it turns out to be something that doesn't fit that narrative everyone disappears.

First is were muslims and the right jumped on the story, then it was the far-right and the left jumped on the story and now it's a fucking idiot and indeed, everyone is gone.

People really should stop jumping to foregone conclusions.

My first thought when I heard about the bombing was: "Probably some crazy Hooligan" but in reality it's even crazier and that guy actually wanted to kill as many as possible, may he rest in prison for the rest of his shitty life.

Dinda

attempted multiple murders for not even 100k? wtf...
No, the options he bought cost him that, if the stock would have fallen dramatically, which it would have if multiple members of the team had died, he could have gained something like 4 million according to german press.

cyba89

Spiegel.de said:
Nach SPIEGEL-Informationen hatte der Verdächtige einen Verbraucherkredit aufgenommen und 15.000 Optionsscheine gekauft. Dazu nutzte er nach Erkenntnissen der Ermittler die IP-Adresse des BVB-Mannschaftshotels L'Arrivée, in dem er sich kurz vor dem Anschlag aufgehalten hatte. Bei der Buchung des Zimmers im März soll der Beschuldigte einen Raum mit Blick auf den späteren Anschlagsort verlangt haben, womöglich löste er von dort über Funk die Detonation der drei Sprengsätze aus.

Buying 15.000 options from the IP adress of the hotel shortly before the attack happenend sure doesn't make him look suspicious at all. He even specificially requested a room with a view to where the bus would be.

Not the brightest guy.

Oersted

First is were muslims and the right jumped on the story, then it was the far-right and the left jumped on the story and now it's a fucking idiot and indeed, everyone is gone.

People really should stop jumping to foregone conclusions.

It was Isis and the left first.

duckroll

What a motherfucker. I wonder how the police narrowed him down. Must have been sloppy. Also, 15,000 shares? Even if they completely tanked, it doesn't seem like he was going to make much. Certainly not anything worth trying to kill two dozen people for? Shit plan, shit motive, fucking loser of a person. Disgusting.

EloKa

I wonder how the police narrowed him down.
- there was one hotel guest that demanded to a get a room that gave view to the street where the bus was supposed to travel along. He demanded this room for 2 different dates (because no-one knew in advance if the match happens in dortmund or monaco first).

- there was one significant order at the stock exchange which drew the attention of the authorities.

- this order was made few minutes / hours before the bombinb with an IP that belongs to the hotel.

afaik the starting point was the very unusual placed stock exchange order

Donos

Auf die Spur hatten sie ein Hinweisgeber aus dem Finanzsektor sowie die Geldwäscheverdachtsanzeige einer Bank gebracht.

Bank made a money laundering report + and a financial sector tip, probably because the shares were bought so close to the incident. (beaten by Xando / Eloka)

They already had him under obvservation for a week.

What a motherfucker. I wonder how the police narrowed him down. Must have been sloppy. Also, 15,000 shares? Even if they completely tanked, it doesn't seem like he was going to make much. Certainly not anything worth trying to kill two dozen people for? Shit plan, shit motive, fucking loser of a person. Disgusting.

They are talking about 4 Millions of euros.

El-Suave

That's a pretty dumb plan, ever since the betting scandals police surely watch who has sudden and enormous financial gains from the aftermath of such an attack. I would imagine that to be easily traceable. It does remind me of one of those Bond supervillain plans from decades old movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom