• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freespace 2 [$2.99 GOG Weekend Sale, ends April 16] - Lets do this GAF

Gowans

I'm thinking of running this Vanilla with no mods.

Curious to see how it runs on Win 7 at 1920 x 1200 with a 360 controller.

One of the best space sim I've ever played. What I'd do to get a true sequel.

Those going in gotta try it with the graphic mods. Looks awesome with the mods.

Is anyone still making any good joysticks ?

And do they even work in games like Freespace ? I remember i used to connect my joystick to sound card back when this game was hot novelty.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'd recomment getting some of the other games on sale instead, unless you're a fan of the serie yet somehow don't already own it.

Aaron

Bought and downloading, though I doubt I'll ever play it like most games off GOG. Don't regret them though.

mclaren777

I heard this game was like Escape Velocity (my favorite Mac game of all time).

Is there any truth to that?

i8tHDvWq91yZA.png

jsnh7076

Neo Member
Man, that game brings me back. FS1 and 2 were two of the best space sims I've ever seen.

How does it control with kb&m? IS there a way to use it with a xbox controller?

I wouldn't know about k&m but a 360 controller shouldn't be a problem. I managed to get an original xbox controller and a steel battalion controller working with the game back in the day.

IMG_0720.jpg

Best PC joystick ever

Jasoneyu

Amazing game, I still remember back in the day when I saw the first beam cannons being shot by the capital ships. I might still have the box somewhere I need to find it.

joshwaan

Right Gaf these games kick ass and I'd advise you to check them out if you have not already :)

Kingpin: Life of Crime
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Sacrifice
Messiah

I'm buying all loved playing them growing up, get a small tear thinking about good times I had with them :)

If you haven't found it yet they have an installer/download program that does everything for you, graphics, conversions, new campaigns, etc. FS Open Installer

My man. :)

the FS games were my all-time favorites along with X-Wing (and expansions) and Tie Fighter (and expansions).

Graphics mods make me wonder if any of my old MS Flightsticks are around and working. Hmmmm.

ced

That game made me so motion sick when I played it back in the day.

Never mind, I'm thinking of Descent.

Famassu

Do I remember correctly that there was a Babylon 5 mod being made for this? Was it ever finished and if it was, how is it?

Tain

Man, that game brings me back. FS1 and 2 were two of the best space sims I've ever seen.

I wouldn't know about k&m but a 360 controller shouldn't be a problem. I managed to get an original xbox controller and a steel battalion controller working with the game back in the day.

IMG_0720.jpg

Best PC joystick ever

holy shit dude.

holy shit.

Honestly, I've had trouble getting into Freespace. I think I might not like the genre much in general (outside of the original Elite games, maybe), but I've only ever tried with keyboard+mouse or a 360 pad.

I have one of those beasts now, as of last year. And I have my Windows 7 PC painstakingly set up with custom Xbox controller drivers already. And I have adapters for Xbox 1 to standard USB.

This might have to happen.

LAMBO

The Bab5 mod was made, i played it and it was good. I think it was called the babylon project.

If you want a mod to play you play INFERNO and thank me later.

And i don't know if the site has been maintained but this was the place to go for all Freespace 2 mods

http://www.hard-light.net/

Waaghals

How does it control with kb&m? IS there a way to use it with a xbox controller?

Controls quite well with the mouse. Works with the X360 controller. I have tried both these methods myself.

I guess a Joystick is preferable though. Don't let that stop you, I played the game through with only keyboard controls back in the day. That is probably the worst way to play it, but the game was so good it didn't matter.

Top Bottom