• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Racism is as American as Baseball" -

Goodstyle

It's anti racism. Real racists are, bafflingly enough, terrified of the "R" word. They don't call themselves racists, they use candy coded sugar words and constantly ask how the explicitly racist thing they believe is racist. Racists are too cowardly to own up to how vile they are usually.

Strike

It is. It's not uniquely American, but it was built into its very foundation. America was and still is very racist.

sandpiper

This isn't a shitpost or some stealth ignorance thing, I really haven't seen it before.

There's racism everywhere, of course.

I live in Oregon and I see people with trucks that fly a Confederate flag out the back, Trump bumper stickers, don't tread on me, et cetera.

What other possible reason for waving a Confederate flag around would there be, in a state that's nowhere near where the Confederacy actually was? Southern pride, in a northwest coast state?

EDIT: Also, Boston has a unique history with it, yes.

Phu

Banned
Forreal. Of all forums, GAF finds this one ambiguous?

You really think a racist person is going to look at that sign and get the same message you did? I'd bet they'd see it as something that bolsters their beliefs as xenophobic, racist*, hyper-nationalists.

p2535748

Can you explain the meaning to this? Little lost here tbh

A lot of people like to pretend some of the recent stuff is a minor fringe movement, or a new thing. I've seen a lot of "right thinking" people express shock that stuff like Charlottesville could happen here and now.

To this, many POC and other activists have pointed out that racism has always been here, entwined in American culture, and though it might not have been on the surface as much until recently, that doesn't mean it didn't exist.

Hence the slogan - think of it as "racism is an American tradition" - essentially saying it's not new, it shouldn't be surprising, and we need to deal with it as an integral part of our society that needs to be reformed, not a fringe group we can ignore and they'll go away.

Whompa02

We are talking about it so it seems like it worked.

I can see that but I'm just asking for the meaning, or intended meaning, behind it.

it's a statement. you just read it and realise shit is fucked up.

I just don't get the comparison being made in the statement.

A lot of people like to pretend some of the recent stuff is a minor fringe movement, or a new thing. I've seen a lot of "right thinking" people express shock that stuff like Charlottesville could happen here and now.

To this, many POC and other activists have pointed out that racism has always been here, entwined in American culture, and though it might not have been on the surface as much until recently, that doesn't mean it didn't exist.

Hence the slogan - think of it as "racism is an American tradition" - essentially saying it's not new, it shouldn't be surprising, and we need to deal with it as an integral part of our society that needs to be reformed, not a fringe group we can ignore and they'll go away.

Thank you. I assumed that's where it was coming from, but connecting it to the term, "American" really doesn't make sense within the context. It just seems like it's worded poorly.

I totally agree that racism is terrible and prevalent in America, but saying it's American, is kinda dumb.

In hindsight I guess this is less ambiguous than I thought.

Nearly zero racists own up to the r-word because they don't view their hate as unjustified.

I can see that but I'm just asking for the meaning, or intended meaning, behind it.

I just don't get the comparison being made in the statement.

"Just as baseball is considered a fundamental part of American culture, racism has been part of the country for its whole existence. Trump isn't novel."

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Forcing people to confront their own racism is one of the most difficult tasks facing anyone interested in civil rights.

People will go to the ends of the earth to deny their own racism. It's so ingrained in this country and so insidious that people have built up their entire world view to obstruct it and also obstruct progress.

Admitting we have a problem would go a far way to realizing some sort of success.

You guys are very sure of yourselves but you don't know these people who displayed the banner. You can say that all racists hate being labeled as such but I haven't found that to be true in many cases. There are plenty of hardcore racists who wear that label proudly because they firmly believe in white supremacy.

Having said that, the popular interpretation in this thread could easily be true as well. It was boo'ed at the game and he police were called so I'm not sure that aligns with the popular theory.

besada

Banned
More American than baseball, really. Baseball didn't become popular until the mid-1850's. Racism's been the team sport of America since before it was America.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I don't think anyone is arguing the truthfulness of the message.

it also implies that it doesn't matter which way the individuals swing. The idea is now out there, plainly stated during america's favorite (former) past time.

Derwind

It's anti racism. Real racists are, bafflingly enough, terrified of the "R" word. They don't call themselves racists, they use candy coded sugar words and constantly ask how the explicitly racist thing they believe is racist. Racists are too cowardly to own up to how vile they are usually.

Exactly, racism is not a topic relevant to racists. What value would a statement like this even hold to a racist?

Whompa02

Thanks for the responses. Makes sense, sorta.

Saying racism is an American pastime doesn't make their message seem so...great? Or rather, doesn't sound like they're trying to say the right thing.

It sounds like they're enjoying a baseball game, telling the world that they're racists lol...

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
You know it was anti-racism because it was in Boston and they were removed.

Obligatory:

https://twitter.com/eboland11/status/859493148438999040

Erik Boland ‏Verified account
@eboland11

Sabathia said in his big league career "I've never been called the N word" anywhere but in Boston

12:41 PM - 2 May 2017

https://twitter.com/eboland11/status/859495176426979328

Erik Boland‏ Verified account
@eboland11

Sabathia said it's talked about among black major leaguers: "we know. There's 62 of us. We all know. When you go to Boston, expect it."

12:49 PM - 2 May 2017

p2535748

You guys are very sure of yourselves but you don't know these people who displayed the banner. You can say that all racists hate being labeled as such but I haven't found that to be true in many cases. There are plenty of hardcore racists who wear that label proudly because they firmly believe in white supremacy.

Having said that, the popular interpretation in this thread could easily be true as well. It was boo'ed at the game and he police were called so I'm not sure that aligns with the popular theory.

To be clear, the police (or security) would be called and they'd be removed no matter what. You can't hang signs there, no matter how true they are.

As for the boos, people could be misinterpreting it or it could just be that the average baseball game crowd doesn't really like criticisms of America during their entertainment.

I mean, I could be wrong here, but I'm 95% confident this is anti-racist.

Thanks for the responses. Makes sense, sorta.

Saying racism is an American pastime doesn't make their message seem so...great? Or rather, doesn't sound like they're trying to say the right thing.

It sounds like they're enjoying a baseball game, telling the world that they're racists lol...

It's not a positive message. It's a "take a hard look at the society you live in and it's history" message. It's not something a lot of people are going to like to see.

Have you ever met a conservative that actually thinks of themselves as a racist? Think, guys.

Yes, I most certainly have.

I'm quite sure this was anti racist, but it's bothering me how many of you don't realize there are a plethora of shameless, self-aware racists out there.

darscot

This is one of the best protests in recent memory. All it does is make you think. It does not pick a side just basically tells you think about your side. Brilliant

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member

I live in Oregon and I see people with trucks that fly a Confederate flag out the back, Trump bumper stickers, don't tread on me, et cetera.

What other possible reason for waving a Confederate flag around would there be, in a state that's nowhere near where the Confederacy actually was? Southern pride, in a northwest coast state?

Oregon probably has the shittiest history of any state (outside of the old Confederate states) in the union as far as racism goes.

I’m just trying to figure out how they got a banner that big into the stadium? I mean, even if the banner just said “Let’s Go Sox!” - I would think they wouldn’t let you roll in with a 25’ x 15’ banner...

To be clear, the police (or security) would be called and they'd be removed no matter what. You can't hang signs there, no matter how true they are.

As for the boos, people could be misinterpreting it or it could just be that the average baseball game crowd doesn't really like criticisms of America during their entertainment.

It's not a positive message. It's a "take a hard look at the society you live in and it's history" message. It's not something a lot of people are going to like to see.
I could be wrong too. Your interpretation is completely valid but I'm not willing to bet anything on which is correct.

p2535748

I’m just trying to figure out how they got a banner that big into the stadium? I mean, even if the banner just said “Let’s Go Sox!” - I would think they wouldn’t let you roll in with a 25’ x 15’ banner...

Fenway's a pretty old park with a lot of weird entryways. I've known people to sneak through a lot of random shit (mostly booze, of course).

Slayven

Oregon was planned as a White Utopia where it was illegal to be free and black inside it's borders.

Whompa02

It's supposed to be anti-racist but it's so poorly articulated that I could totally see the miscommunication.

Also yeah to the edit, I can definitely see people being upset. Or so comfortable in their ways that they dismiss the messaging.

Calion

Thank you. I assumed that's where it was coming from, but connecting it to the term, "American" really doesn't make sense within the context. It just seems like it's worded poorly.

I totally agree that racism is terrible and prevalent in America, but saying it's American, is kinda dumb.

Not really. America's core building blocks in its founding ARE racism/slavery/etc. Racism has been there from the start and is still here today.

Chase17

Assumed the worst when I saw Red Sox and racism, especially coming of the Jones story earlier in the year. Pleasantly surprised to see that it was some protestors displaying a truth.

I was a bit uncertain about the intentions of the statement, but it seems pretty clearly to be anti racism to me now.

This is one of the best protests in recent memory. All it does is make you think. It does not pick a side just basically tells you think about your side. Brilliant

What? No.

It's a statement about America being racist to it's very core. A side has very much been chosen.

p2535748

It's supposed to be anti-racist but it's so poorly articulated that I could totally see the miscommunication.

It's funny because I saw it, pointed it out to my wife and we both immediately assumed it was anti-racist. Maybe it's because I've seen similar sentiments a lot the past year or so?

Obviously, though, it was not as clear as the creators intended. A lot of people are misinterpreting it.

darscot

I meant it doesn't have BLM or Antifa or any other such side clearly stamped out so people can just blow it off. It's not easy to just hand wave away its not left or right. Its just a statement.

Top Bottom