• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Sadist

I9Nxm.png

Genre: RPG
Developer: Monolith Soft
Publisher: Nintendo
Release: EU: 08-19-2011

Standard Edition

W0Uzj.png

Classic Controller Pro Edition

xf0iE.png

- Alternative cover (as voted by fans)
- Limited edition includes a red Classic Controller Pro
- Preorder and receive one of three posters which include an electronic autograph of Tetsuya Takahashi (may depend on your country, will not be available in all countries)

FsYnK.png

Our story begins with two gigantic gods who are fighting each other. After a long and hard fight the two cease their battle: neither one of them actually won and they just “stop”. Eventually life starts to flourish on both gods: one race is akin to humans called the Homs, High Entia and there are small creatures called Nopons. The other is a mechanical race named the Mechon. The Mechon are a violent race and try to destroy the other races with a war. During this war, a young man called Shulk researches a mysterious sword…

Xenoblade Chronicles features a massive world with beautiful scenery. According to fellow GAF-ers this game takes about 60 or 70 hours to complete if you run through it. If you want to take sidequests and really explore the world, it will take longer to complete the game. In other words, you don’t want to rush things with Xenoblade Chronicles. Not just because of the amazing world you will visit, but everyone needs to enjoy the fantastic soundtrack of the game. Gaur Plains for example is fantastic while exploring the gigantic world. Or while fighting several enemies to the sound of Mechanical Rhythm or Those who bear their name. This is just a small selection of the amazing soundtrack.

About the fighting system, it has a similar set up like the action-based battle system of Final Fantasy XII. When entering a battle, characters will start attacking with basic attacks, but these can be interrupted to launch “arts”, the special techniques available in this game. However, after use these Arts are in need of a cooldown period.

Xenoblade Chronicles is a game developed by Monolith Soft, known for games such as the Xenosaga series, Namco x Capcom, the Baten Kaitos games, Soma Bringer and Disaster Day of Crisis. Originally, Xenoblade was released on the 10th of June 2010 in Japan. It received high marks from Famitsu Magazine and it was well received by Japanese Wii owners. Which is great, but Nintendo fans in the west are clamouring for a nice looking RPG like this one. Even with Japan receiving the game first, the title made its first appearance at E3 2009. It debuted as Monado: Beginning of the World. After its Japanese release, Nintendo kept its lips sealed about a possible western release. While everybody gave up hope, on the 31st of March Nintendo of Europe announced that Xenoblade got the subtitle Chronicles and that it would see release in 2011. Europe rejoices, but our American friends weren’t so lucky. Xenoblade Chronicles joins a group of titles which saw a release in Europe and Japan, but not the USA.

1X9UA.png

eB7zQ.png

eqOPn.png

HGYXl.png

J85ac.png

CyoY6.png

Art

lQHXS.png

ohggr.png

Trailers

Debut Trailer
Launch trailer

zWLZp.png

I know it’s tragic that Nintendo of America will not release Xenoblade Chronicles in American territories. But please, let me remind you that this thread is not meant for you guys placing comments like “NoA sucks” or “Reggie hates Monolith Soft”. Let’s just talk about the experience of players who do get to enjoy this game. Or, even better: why don’t you import? Thank you in advance. Instead, thanks to CruxisMana we have a nice summary of where to get the game if you want to import it:

How can I play this game on my US Wii?

Main Wii Homebrew Tutorial page l Starting Page/For Dummies l NeoGAF Homebrew Thread

Where can I order this for delivery to the US?

Zavvi £29.85 l GAME (Collectors Edition) £49.99 l GAME (Regular Edition) £37.99 l 365games £31.99 l ASDA £29.91

Is the Collectors Edition available to order from anywhere else/for cheaper?

Unfortunately, no. The Collectors Edition is exclusive to GAME.

What does the Collectors Edition include?

A copy of the game, a red Classic Controller Pro, and in some countries (including the UK, which all of the above order links are) 3 A1 sized posters electronically signed by the Tetsuya Takahashi. Large versions of the posters can be found below;

If I order this from a European country that does not speak English, will I be stuck playing the game in French/Spanish/Italian/German?

No. The game's voice acting will only be available in English and Japanese, whilst only subtitles will be available to encompass other European languages.

LHzCG.png

Iwata Asks: Xenoblade Chronicles
Xenolade Chronicles Product page
Xenoblade OT: The Adventure Begins (Japanese Release)
Let’s Play Xenoblade Chronicles Episode 1 *Contains spoilers
Let’s Play Xenoblade Chronicles Episode 2 *Contains spoilers

Spreadsheet with all the NPC's, comes in handy while completing quests.

Reviews

GamesTM: 9/10
IGN: 9/10
Metro GameCentral: 9/10
Cubed3: 10/10
Eurogamer: 9/10

* A big thank you goes out towards Cigarbeetlehttp://www.neogaf.com/forum/member.php?u=84833 for creating the banners and CruxisMana for summarizing the options for American Wii-owners. Cheers guys!

Luigi87

Very nice OP.

As much as I want this, for financial concerns I cannot import it yet, but I certainly will in the future. It looks to be such a good game.

And thinking about it, I don't think I've played any type of RPG on any console in quite a while...

Zornica

Banned
looks not that humble to me
to be honest, i was expecting more grass ^^

i am not sure yet about pre ordering.. its a bit risky but i think i will just pick it up early in the morning at my local store, so i can play the game sooner

Already got the JPN version, buying two copies of the EUR version to support the localization.
Not really, I just want the pre-order stuff.

dani_dc

Very excited.

Have it pre-ordered on Game but will probably cancel it and try to find the game with the posters locally.

Thanks for the thread.

Now I've got a bit of a dilemma - my girlfriend has now fallen in love with this game after watching too many videos of it with me. Now she wants to play it on her Wii. But we only own one CCPro and technically it's hers. I'm gonna have to buy another aren't I?!

I don't really want to change my Shopto order, and they ain't doing the Red controller. Off to the internet shops we go!

SO CLOSE to importing. SO VERY, VERY CLOSE.

Seeing as there are very few other retail games I'm interested in this year, I should just do it.

vitacola

Corleth the Fey said:
Thanks for the thread.

Now I've got a bit of a dilemma - my girlfriend has now fallen in love with this game after watching too many videos of it with me. Now she wants to play it on her Wii. But we only own one CCPro and technically it's hers. I'm gonna have to buy another aren't I?!

I don't really want to change my Shopto order, and they ain't doing the Red controller. Off to the internet shops we go!
I assume you live together? Why would you buy a second CC then?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I've just discovered that unlike a lot of PAL Wii games, Pikmin 2 New Play Control is generally unplayable on NTSC Wiis unless you hapen to have the right TV. Wouldn't that be a BITCH if Xenoblade somehow did this as well?

EDIT: Just because this is on the first page, I thought I'd let a lot of would-be importers know: I think it's very, very, very likely to work on a homebrewed NTSC North American Wii just fine.

kiryogi

Banned
The moment of truth! Will NeoGAF truly enjoy it or was importGAF wrong again?! I look forward to impressions next week!

I want to play this game because it's hyped loads as best rpg this generation, and also it reminds me of ffxii, which is one of the best RPGs last gen... Can't wait!

Rehynn

I'm probably getting this next year. With the backlog I have and the (reportedly) biggest Zelda on the horizon, I'm afraid I would not give this game the attention it deserves if I bought it at launch.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
BocoDragon said:
I've just discovered that unlike a lot of PAL Wii games, Pikmin 2 New Play Control is generally unplayable on NTSC Wiis unless you hapen to have the right TV. Wouldn't that be a BITCH if Xenoblade somehow did this as well?
I've got a godamn decade old CRT thing. It had better work.

Sadist

Khold said:
Can you add where NA can import from for the best price?

Edit: NVM it's already there!
Yeah, seeing a lot of GAF'ers were talking about importing I thought it would be wise to include an "Import" section.

totowhoa

Banned
Here to rep NA GAF that'll be importing. Can't wait for this game. My Wii has been a MK/SSB machine for far too long now. Too bad school's starting up right when this will be arriving.

[Nintex]

I'm waiting for my copy to ship and hopefully get the posters as well. I was lucky enough to play this for like half an hour at NoE and I really wanted to take the game home with me to dive into this world.

speedpop said:
This is going to have to wait for a while. I've got essays coming out of my ears.

I'm so glad the release date got moved forwards otherwise it would have fell just a week or so before I need to go back to University.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The_Technomancer said:
I've got a godamn decade old CRT thing. It had better work.
The few NTSC TVs that do play Pikmin 2 PAL need to accept a 480P signal... so a new TV is actually better.

BUT, as I edited above, I think it's VERY unlikely that importers will have a problem. The "Force NTSC" option will likely work, and play identically to a domestic title.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
BocoDragon said:
I've just discovered that unlike a lot of PAL Wii games, Pikmin 2 New Play Control is generally unplayable on NTSC Wiis unless you hapen to have the right TV.

Damn, that's another Wii game I want to import. :( Do you know what type of TV you need?

EDIT: I see your explanation above. My TV does allow 480P, but now I'm really hesitant to import it.

Top Bottom